Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tinctures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

(side note: Ok, I realize the following may come across as weird and "What the hell?"...)

What do you think of using knee high pantyhose (new! never worn) for straining the herbs out? I know it sounds odd, lol, but I'm finding it works better & faster than muslin or paper coffee filters. I stretch one over the mouth of a tall, wide glass and then pour the herb mix in. Once it's completely cool, I pull it up and squeeze out the rest of the liquid.
And they're re-washable so I can use the same pair for quite a while. (I wash them separately from the rest of the laundry & then tuck them back in the same box as the herbs for the next venture.)

#42 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

(side note: Ok, I realize the following may come across as weird and "What the hell?"...)

What do you think of using knee high pantyhose (new! never worn) for straining the herbs out? I know it sounds odd, lol, but I'm finding it works better & faster than muslin or paper coffee filters. I stretch one over the mouth of a tall, wide glass and then pour the herb mix in. Once it's completely cool, I pull it up and squeeze out the rest of the liquid.
And they're re-washable so I can use the same pair for quite a while. (I wash them separately from the rest of the laundry & then tuck them back in the same box as the herbs for the next venture.)

They work wonderfully for a first strain, as long as there's no runs (ladders), which create large-enough holes for the herb to sneak out of. I used them often but since I no longer have to wear 'em, don't have any (and too cheap to buy them just for that). Just don't use fabric softener when you wash/dry them. Contains chemicals you don't want in your tincture.

I still think coffee filters are best for the final strain. Even with pantyhose, there are 'dregs' that you want to get out.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#43 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

They work wonderfully for a first strain, as long as there's no runs (ladders), which create large-enough holes for the herb to sneak out of. I used them often but since I no longer have to wear 'em, don't have any (and too cheap to buy them just for that). Just don't use fabric softener when you wash/dry them. Contains chemicals you don't want in your tincture.

I still think coffee filters are best for the final strain. Even with pantyhose, there are 'dregs' that you want to get out.

Good point! Thanks :-)

#44 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

I'm currently working on book #2 which is going to be a 'recipe' book - herbs or combinations thereof for certain situations, both medicinal and magical. For medicinal information, books by David Hoffman, Andrew Chevallier or Susun Weed are excellent.

Mountain Witch,

I can't recall if you are still working on Book #2 or it is finished. I would be interested to know, as I thoroughly enjoy your other book.

In the meantime, I am curious about other's thoughts on whether or not increasing the number of herbs in a particular mixture has an impact on effectiveness. I was taught to limit the number of herbs or ingredients of any kind per mixture, especially when working magically, but also medicinally. Rarely, would I combine any more than four different ingredients; yet, I have noticed that some of the recipes shared on TW list significantly more contents. I am not speaking to amount of contents, but rather number of contents; like using twelve different herbs in one recipe.

Any thoughts?

#45 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Mountain Witch,
... I am not speaking to amount of contents, but rather number of contents; like using twelve different herbs in one recipe.

Any thoughts?

Magicaly I tend to go in threes or multiples thereof (3,6,9) but rarely over 9. Sometimes I vary from that, but usually I stick with it. I don't put tons of things together simply becuase after a while it gets to be too complicated and rather overkill and if I'm confused there's a good chance my potion is confused too. Sometimes the 3-6-9 might be in the WAY I do it rather than what I used. Like this morning I was working on an all purpose oil that I'd started yesterday. Yesterday I heated 3 herbs in one cauldron, 1 resin in another cauldron, and some menstral blood in a 3rd. So you have 5 ingredients, but the 3 separate sets of heating in the oil add 3 more "elements" which makes 8, and the last act of combining the 3 lots this morning made 9. But I'm weird like that :-)

M

#46 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

I am curious about other's thoughts on whether or not increasing the number of herbs in a particular mixture has an impact on effectiveness. I was taught to limit the number of herbs or ingredients of any kind per mixture, especially when working magically, but also medicinally. Rarely, would I combine any more than four different ingredients; yet, I have noticed that some of the recipes shared on TW list significantly more contents. I am not speaking to amount of contents, but rather number of contents; like using twelve different herbs in one recipe.

Any thoughts?

Jevne, I am more cautious in the number of herbs used for medicinal purposes. For the reasons of isolating adverse reactions and simples seem to be more effective, esp in tea infusions. For magical purposes, I am somewhat more liberal but usually do not exceed 4-5. I do make a Kyphi incense that has 16 ingredients but it is the exception to the rule..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#47 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Just bumping. There is some great info here that may be of interest to some.

#48 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Personally, I like multiples of 3, in my workings.

I also, am prompted to the number 8 for Tarot working.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#49 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

Loving this thread!

Aloe, what do you use tinctures for magically?

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#50 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Loving this thread!

Aloe, what do you use tinctures for magically?

My work with tinctures hasn't been as extensive as with wild plants in general. My grandparents never tinctured anything, everything we wild harvested or grew was eaten fresh, frozen, or canned. If it was to be used for folk magic it was either dried or burned. So.. tinctures are a fairly new experiment for me - I've only been working with them for 3 years. But as far as how I use them magically.. In the tincture form the essence of the plant can be applied to cords, splashed on a poppet, added to a mixture of dried herbs.. the possibilities are endless. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#51 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

Personally, I like multiples of 3, in my workings.

I also, am prompted to the number 8 for Tarot working.

Regards,
Gypsy

I am partial to 3 s myself.

#52 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

I still like this thread.  Bumping for further discussion and input.  I am interested in learning of other's magical and mundane preferences for the use of tinctures.

#53 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

I make and use tinctures for their mundane/medicinal actions.  I stick with the safer herbs.  I'm not comfortable going further without someone to mentor me and I'm not going to experiment on family and friends and 'hope' I get it right.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#54 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

I love this thread, thanks for bumping. There are so many great threads on here I sometimes get lost in them.

I make tinctures in big what I call tea jugs I think they might be called infusing jars??, they have a little spout at the bottom. I find that if I cover the inside of the spout with a half of a tea strainer they work really really well. Then I just wash them out .

I hadn't heard of the glycerin type of tincture before exactly, I have used glycerin in a couple infant/toddler infusions for summer time and tummy troubles though. I have a several recovering alcoholics and a few full blown ones who occasionally ask for a tincture so I would use the ACV instead of vodka for them but I think glycerin would be an even better choice since it has 0% alcohol. I noticed that those of you have have used this method say its a pita do you have any tips on how to simplify the process?

#55 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I've started making tinctures with vinegar last year and now am trying the vodka tinctures.   Right now I'm more in the mood to make them for magical use than medical as we are pretty healthy (knock on wood).  I've started tweaking certain water based recipes I use into tinctures due to the longer shelf life. Its working pretty well so far.