Photo
- - - - -

Incense for the Dead

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

I can't add much more to the comments that have already been well put Marshy. Sorry to hear of your loss.x
'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#22 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

Michele,

Damiana is not a herb that I am familiar with. Is it hard to come by? I know it isn't available in any of my local shops, unless it goes by another name. Also, I have never had much luck making incense, so I usually just purchase it. Since the combination you speak of is not commercially available, though, I may give it another try.

Jevne

Actually I came across the herb in a rather weird way... I have a friend who owns a website/store and a fellow on there was doing a podcast of libra and herbs and it got into love herbs, and damiana was mentioned as an herb used for women drawing women. This is very unusual so I jotted the name down then forgot about it. About a month later my son was buying gas and saw a pkt of herbs sold as a "legal high" and he picked it up to show me and it had damiana in it, which was the second time this strange herb popped up. I am not big on coincidences and went to a wonderful store nearby which sells food-quality herbs, and asked them about damiana and they had some. Mullien, Damiana and Mugwort can all be used for trance/visions and for the dead. Damiana can be used for calling, and of course cypress for the dead, and when i tried mixing them together and I took them out into the yard and burned them it was such a "deep" incense that I started using it and kept the recipe. So that's how I got into Damiana, lol, I think it was looking for me. Also, as I'm sure you know herbs can be different for the person using them. What works with my dead may not work with someone else's although most herbs of the same plant have a "general" use. I find I need to sit with the herb and find out what my use for it is (or rather, its use for me), if that makes sense. I used to own a million herbs and I knew none of them. I chucked them all out on the earth and keep it down now to a very few that I feel "like" me and that work with me and that have several uses (rosemary is great for multi-use and I can grown it down here)...

M

#23 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

I find that particular blend of herbs interesting because the herbal blend that I smoke, for anxiety, is sold as a "Native American Blend" and it contains Mugwort, Damiana, Mullein and Coltsfoot. Rather odd. I can buy the mixture VERY inexpensively at a little metaphysical shop about six blocks from my home. Never thought of burning it as incense, though.

#24 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

I've been making loose incenses for a good few years now. I'm not sure about you Michelle but i find it therapeutic in many ways. It stimulates the grey matter, it stimulates your thoughts on the spiritual aspects of the craft, and the ritual aspects of it-very therapeutic. It not only smells great but is creative in itself once you have blended and crafted that mix. Like many things it is also very personal, and experimental.

My present mix includes Mugwort, Vervain, Myrrh, and a touch of Wormwood.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#25 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

I've been making loose incenses for a good few years now. I'm not sure about you Michelle but i find it therapeutic in many ways. It stimulates the grey matter, it stimulates your thoughts on the spiritual aspects of the craft, and the ritual aspects of it-very therapeutic. It not only smells great but is creative in itself once you have blended and crafted that mix. Like many things it is also very personal, and experimental.

My present mix includes Mugwort, Vervain, Myrrh, and a touch of Wormwood.

Yes - I find everything I do myself "deepens" the experience and the ritualistic nature> I much perfer using what I have made to what I have bought.

M

#26 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

Yes - I find everything I do myself "deepens" the experience and the ritualistic nature> I much perfer using what I have made to what I have bought.

M

Without a doubt. Having made incense i could never buy it again. My pestle and mortar are amongst my most precious 'tools' if you like (as is the incense itself). It's a very personal process to my way of mind.

Arthur Miller

#27 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

Actually I came across the herb in a rather weird way... I have a friend who owns a website/store and a fellow on there was doing a podcast of libra and herbs and it got into love herbs, and damiana was mentioned as an herb used for women drawing women. This is very unusual so I jotted the name down then forgot about it. About a month later my son was buying gas and saw a pkt of herbs sold as a "legal high" and he picked it up to show me and it had damiana in it, which was the second time this strange herb popped up. I am not big on coincidences and went to a wonderful store nearby which sells food-quality herbs, and asked them about damiana and they had some. Mullien, Damiana and Mugwort can all be used for trance/visions and for the dead. Damiana can be used for calling, and of course cypress for the dead, and when i tried mixing them together and I took them out into the yard and burned them it was such a "deep" incense that I started using it and kept the recipe. So that's how I got into Damiana, lol, I think it was looking for me. Also, as I'm sure you know herbs can be different for the person using them. What works with my dead may not work with someone else's although most herbs of the same plant have a "general" use. I find I need to sit with the herb and find out what my use for it is (or rather, its use for me), if that makes sense. I used to own a million herbs and I knew none of them. I chucked them all out on the earth and keep it down now to a very few that I feel "like" me and that work with me and that have several uses (rosemary is great for multi-use and I can grown it down here)...

M

I love the thought of growing and working with my own herbs and the smell of all of their aromas, I always surround myself with different kinds of aromas that draw me, people always comment on the wonderful smells coming from my home.

Anita.

#28 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

Thank you, Michele.

Jevne

#29 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Marshy, sorry to hear about your loss. I wish you strength to help you through this sad time.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#30 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

This is an incense I use a lot at this time of year. It is great in ritual for calling the dead and helping a trance-state. I also burn it in the house - even if I'm just doing mundane things - to let the dead know I am thinking of them. It is good burned in the garden at night, sitting quietly and waiting for impulse and inspiration. Mugwort, Mullien and Damiana with cypress oil used as a "binding" agent to hold the lot together. Has a wonderful earthy-gravish smell and doesn't have so many ingredients that it costs a paycheck to get them.

M

I'm bumping this up as I would need to ask a question. How does the cypress oil bind the herbs together ? While I understand it magically, does the oil pull the herbs together, or does the oil infuse with the herbs ? It's probably really simple, yet I'm not understanding it ! I was looking into crafting an insence for working with the dead, using Chervil, Hyssop, Damiana and Bay leaf. Thank you.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

I'm bumping this up as I would need to ask a question. How does the cypress oil bind the herbs together ? While I understand it magically, does the oil pull the herbs together, or does the oil infuse with the herbs ? It's probably really simple, yet I'm not understanding it ! I was looking into crafting an insence for working with the dead, using Chervil, Hyssop, Damiana and Bay leaf. Thank you.

Regards,
Gypsy

It makes them less "flakey"... like the incense isn't a sopping wet clump - still quite dryish - but not as dry as pure leaf so it has a bit more "hold" and a slower burn if that makes any sense?? When you pick up a "pinch" you get a clump you can hold instead of merely what is between your fingers.

M

#32 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

You can also use resins,honey or dried fruit as binding agents to make incense pellets.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#33 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

You can also use resins,honey or dried fruit as binding agents to make incense pellets.

I never thought about honey, glad you said that! :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#34 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:47 AM

Yes - honey would be a nice additive as a "ghost corn" type of offering for the dead. Good idea.

M

#35 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

Must admit I thought damiana in the mix was very different.

As from my experience and knowledge it is known to be one of natures strongest aphrodisiacs and one of the very few that affects women more than men.

I guess it brings a new perspective to raising the dead!

Will probably give this a shot when it comes round to year end, I like to honour my dead on dates significant to them, does mean they tend to group together though.

#36 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Damiana is a very weird thing to use in it, yes, lol, and it might not be for everyone. But it worls well for me and those I work with. But I will sometimes use plants for other than what they'r eusually used for depending on what I get from it, and sometimes for me working with the "ancestors" or dead isn't always DNA ancestors, so it does tie in with those rites. And yes, being as it is used for women I must admit I do have a soft spot for damiana, lol...

M

#37 Celtic Wonderer

Celtic Wonderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Michele...

Sorry for your loss Marshy.

#38 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Must admit I thought damiana in the mix was very different.

As from my experience and knowledge it is known to be one of natures strongest aphrodisiacs and one of the very few that affects women more than men.

I guess it brings a new perspective to raising the dead!

Will probably give this a shot when it comes round to year end, I like to honour my dead on dates significant to them, does mean they tend to group together though.

P.S. - Damiana is also used (but less known for in books - I suppose lust and love is more on top of everyone's list, lol) for breakdown of different sorts of barriers. So one can also apply that to working with the dead - or working one one's self!

M

#39 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

P.S. - Damiana is also used (but less known for in books - I suppose lust and love is more on top of everyone's list, lol) for breakdown of different sorts of barriers. So one can also apply that to working with the dead - or working one one's self!

M

Damiana is multi purpose for me, I use it mostly for psychic travel though - the breaking down of barriers you're referring to here.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore