Photo
- - - - -

Incense for the Dead

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

This is an incense I use a lot at this time of year. It is great in ritual for calling the dead and helping a trance-state. I also burn it in the house - even if I'm just doing mundane things - to let the dead know I am thinking of them. It is good burned in the garden at night, sitting quietly and waiting for impulse and inspiration. Mugwort, Mullien and Damiana with cypress oil used as a "binding" agent to hold the lot together. Has a wonderful earthy-gravish smell and doesn't have so many ingredients that it costs a paycheck to get them.

M

#2 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

This made me think of the incense that I see all the time at the Chinese grocery that they have in the area that's especially for funerary and ancestor alters. I say this, because some of your ingredients kinda reminded me of the smell it has. I'm going to have to see what it's made of. Also, I love your recipe, and I think I already have all of it over in herb box^_^

#3 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

This is an incense I use a lot at this time of year. It is great in ritual for calling the dead and helping a trance-state. I also burn it in the house - even if I'm just doing mundane things - to let the dead know I am thinking of them. It is good burned in the garden at night, sitting quietly and waiting for impulse and inspiration. Mugwort, Mullien and Damiana with cypress oil used as a "binding" agent to hold the lot together. Has a wonderful earthy-gravish smell and doesn't have so many ingredients that it costs a paycheck to get them.

M

Thank you Michele, its amazing how wotever I need always finds me! Lost my mother yesterday after a debilitating 25 year illness! Thank you so much.

Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway:

#4 JessicaAFM

JessicaAFM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:12 AM

Oh Marshy, I don't know you well but I am sending you a great big cyber (HUG). I am sorry for your loss.

Jessica

#5 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Marshy here is a massive massive hug and kiss :hugs:

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

Oh, Marshy. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it was a peaceful passing and that she has now found relief.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Oh wow Marshy - that's hard... I don't have words that would help with the loss or missing her. Our dead are never really gone, but knowing that really doesn't help with the fresh wound and missing the physical person. I am so sorry.

M

#8 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thank you Michele, its amazing how wotever I need always finds me! Lost my mother yesterday after a debilitating 25 year illness! Thank you so much.

So, sorry, Dear.

J

#9 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

So, sorry, Dear.

J

Thank you J, in many respects it is a blessing, I have been tryin to work for a peaceful pasage for her for a while now, at least she went with dignity in the end!

#10 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Oh wow Marshy - that's hard... I don't have words that would help with the loss or missing her. Our dead are never really gone, but knowing that really doesn't help with the fresh wound and missing the physical person. I am so sorry.

M

Thank you M

#11 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks everyone the end was the best possible under the circumstances and was pain free and dignified. She will suffer no more.

#12 Guest_willynilly_*

Guest_willynilly_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Very sorry for your loss Marshy. Especially this time of year.

#13 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

Sorry to hear bout your loss.

#14 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Am so sorry Marshy. Sending lots of hugs your way.
She will be able to watch over you now...

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#15 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

I am very sorry for your loss, Marshy, yet relieved that it was under the circumstatnces you described. You are in my thoughts.

Elizabeth

#16 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

[quote name='Marshy' timestamp='1293176407' post='90348']

Oh Marshy, my heart goes out to you at this time. Isn't it wonderful, how this informative post of M's just hit the right spot of comfort for you, and give you that connectedness to your mother still. Simply amazing.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#17 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

Interesting Michele, thank you.

Sorry for your loss Marshy.

Anita.

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

M

Michele,

Damiana is not a herb that I am familiar with. Is it hard to come by? I know it isn't available in any of my local shops, unless it goes by another name. Also, I have never had much luck making incense, so I usually just purchase it. Since the combination you speak of is not commercially available, though, I may give it another try.

Jevne

#19 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Oh Marshy, my heart goes out to you at this time. Isn't it wonderful, how this informative post of M's just hit the right spot of comfort for you, and give you that connectedness to your mother still. Simply amazing.

Regards,
Gypsy

I have given this advice to people many times and not sure they understood, maybe they evn thought I was fobbin tthem off. My mentor told me years ago to open my true self and when I was ready what I was seekin would find me! Maybe in this real life situation it will help people relate to the advice more, non of us know all the answers and the path we tread is not easy but you MUST have Patience nothing worth havin is easy I am afraid.

Thanks for all the good wishes
Marshy

#20 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

Regards,
Gypsy

I have given this advice to people many times and not sure they understood, maybe they evn thought I was fobbin tthem off. My mentor told me years ago to open my true self and when I was ready what I was seekin would find me! Maybe in this real life situation it will help people relate to the advice more, non of us know all the answers and the path we tread is not easy but you MUST have Patience nothing worth havin is easy I am afraid.

Thanks for all the good wishes
Marshy

sorry for your loss marshy.... i lost my nan this time last year, its always a tough time to lose someone