Sign in to follow this  
RavenFlyer

Doll Babies/Soul Dolls

I cannot tell if you missed the point, DG, or just chose not to focus on the concern. So, you made or have a poppet, gave it you name, put your clothe on it, awoke it with your blood, and tied it to your emotions? Keep talking. I mean I like you right now, and you do not have anythiing I want, but I like to keep my options open.

Lol. Sorry, I didn't comment on the concerns but I certainly took them to heart, particularly your advice to make sure the doll is kept as securely as possible as I'm entirely in agreement that creating this has created a potential vulnerability. Actually, after reading some of the advice on the thread, I've taken further steps than I would have to ensure I have a completely private locked space to keep it in. The primary danger as far as I'm concerned is giving anyone access to manipulate the doll and in the sense that I'm keeping it safe and I only live with benign individuals who do not practise magic, its not a great risk that anyone who knows what do do will decide they want to do anything negative toward me. But as I can be a bit cavalier sometimes, it was good to have a reminder from those I like and respect that possibly I do need to take a little more care and not leave myself open to potential harm.

(Mind you, seeing as I often do entirely miss the point, I'm not ruling that out either!)

Out of curiosity DG, if you're the one who made it, how did you "notice" a few days later that the eyes were fixed and painted on?  Didn't you do this - or did you get someone else to?

I used a china doll I purchased. To be honest, the "housing" and appearance of the doll wasn't that important to me, I was much more concerned with what I was going to do with it. So I just bought a doll I liked the look of (took off its pretty clothes to put on a badly sewed rag made from an old caminsole top of mine) and cleansed it.

When you "awakened" it... what direction/s did you give it? Does it specifically represent you (as in is it you), or was it awakened with another spirit to live in it, or was it only directed to house things of you? Because, depending on how you awakened it and how long it was told it would have "life" you could dismantle it. If it is a living actual representation of you, be careful of other things, too,  besides people... like fire, the dog being attracted to the smell and chewing it up, etc... :-(

M

When you "awakened" it... what direction/s did you give it? Does it specifically represent you (as in is it you), or was it awakened with another spirit to live in it, or was it only directed to house things of you? Because, depending on how you awakened it and how long it was told it would have "life" you could dismantle it. If it is a living actual representation of you, be careful of other things, too,  besides people... like fire, the dog being attracted to the smell and chewing it up, etc... :-(

M

Hi M, very much the latter. It has been created to act as a siphon for any emotions I want to temporarily remove from my actual self. So it represents me and has my thoughts and emotions inside it. Its alive in the sense that it feels the things that I do.The idea is that it becomes a store of my feelings which I can then exchange backwards and forwards between the doll and myself. I don't really believe in the idea of splitting the spirit so I see the spirit of the doll as more of a mirror image of my own, awakened with the emotions I choose to share with it. So yes, to an extent a living representation but controlled by what I specifically want to share. The direction I gave it was to awaken and to take on the essence of myself. I was wary of putting a time limit on the period of life for obvious reasons...

Hard to explain, I feel language is letting me down for once on this one.

Does it know when to "stop" being you? Like after you've lived a (happy and very long life), and you pass on.... will it "die" with you - does it know to do that? Or will it continue to "be" you and if yes, is someone in place who can care for it but still let your spirit pass on?

M

Does it know when to "stop" being you? Like after you've lived a (happy and very long life), and you pass on.... will it "die" with you - does it know to do that? Or will it continue to "be" you and if yes, is someone in place who can care for it but still let your spirit pass on?

M

It will die with me, it is only alive as long as there is a connection between us which will cease upon my own death. To be honest the thought of my spirit living on in an item that I have no protection over hen I have passed on breaks me into a cold sweat. That's something I really wouldn't want to get involved in. I don't actually think I've ever met anyone who has done anything like that - deliberately created a representation of themselves to live past their own death. I'd be fascinated to discuss if anyone has, but speaking personally, that's something I would never feel comfortable doing.

I have heard of some people doing this by choice as guardians (and I believe some not by choice), although it would be something, I would think, that would need to be done within an established, working family to have any degree of safety....

I'm sure you know this, lol, but for anyone reading who may be thinking of making a "self doll" I would say it is extremely important to put a time-limit on it's connection/inhabitance when it is made because if it is not told, but only enlivened, then it does not know. These things only know the directions they are given when made.... so something to put A LOT of thought into...

M

Edited by Michele

I'm sure you know this, lol, but for anyone reading who may be thinking of making a "self doll" I would say it is extremely important to put a time-limit on it's connection/inhabitance when it is made because if it is not told, but only enlivened, then it does not know. These things only know the directions they are given when made.... so something to put A LOT of thought into...

M

Michele's comments relate to the concept of the fetch.  Even though Michele and I disagree on some of the finer points of fetch, on this point we agree . . . the "doll" must be told exactly what its purpose is and when that purpose is finished.  This is an added safeguard, if someone does happen to steal the doll.  The maker knows when the connection and influence is severed.  I know someone who uses a one month timeframe, re-establishing the connection on that schedule, but that is up to the person.  I think it is a good plan, though.

• Upvote 1

When you leave the doll unattended for some time for personal troubles and you feel that you have lost your connection with the doll or she is full of negativity...what do you recommend to do?

thanks

I'm curious to see the responses of those who have worked this kind thing before. I have not- so don't do this:). However, I'm curious if placing it in salt with the intent of it absorbing the negativity and then when that is complete, trying to re- establish the connection would work?

@AB- was the doll made with a kill switch? As in was it told when it's job was to be done as discussed earlier in the thread? I'm assuming that would play a role in how you should proceed.

When you leave the doll unattended for some time for personal troubles and you feel that you have lost your connection with the doll or she is full of negativity...what do you recommend to do?

thanks

It would depend on what you are using the doll for. 

Is it a 'doll baby' or soul doll representative of your self, or is it a 'poppet' or something you made to represent another?

It would also depend on your intentions when you made the doll, to help or protect or to harm?

Edited by Solanaceae

I love this thread!  I also love dolls. I collected porceline dolls when I was a kid. I kept some of the great ones and emblished and customized some of the others.

I have used poppets and made dolls to represent ancestors or to house certain spirits.

I adore 'creepy' dolls, the creepier the better really. They don't have to look creepy mind you, they just have to be creepy.

Till this day if I see one that speaks to me, or has the right  'personality' at a thrift or yard sale I will be compelled to take it home with me.

I do not think I would ever make a 'doll baby' or soul doll of the sort that RF talks about for myself, unless I felt I had to. Sounds like too much responsibility.

That said, I have bound certain dolls to myself using my DNA or personal items for various reasons. I don't find that much different than binding other magickal tools or items. 

Edited by Solanaceae

Solanaceae said: " I have used poppets and made dolls to represent ancestors or to house certain spirits."

------

I love this idea! Brilliant! Hope you don't mind if I rip off your ancestor representation idea?:)

I too have a couple thrift shop dolls, that do not look creepy, but simply are. One I found out was worth ten times what I paid for it. The other, I discovered was inscribed by the maker and dedicated to her grandchild. Which made me wonder how it came to be in the thrift shop. Who would get rid of a doll that was made by your grandmother who was a professional doll maker? Anyway, I love them. My husband and kids hate them. My husband has been know to turn two of my porcelain clowns around "so they can't watch him" Lol :)

Edited by Oroboros

No problem O, go nuts! I am sure it is not my idea anyway lol.

Those sound like great finds! Perhaps that doll creeped out the grandchilds parents?

I have some dolls, and doll heads that guard my work space. They sit at the entrance. My space is in a sectioned off part of the large spare room we have.

I have noticed that when my husband or my kids have to go in the spare room, they always turn the dolls around too lol.

It would depend on what you are using the doll for. 

Is it a 'doll baby' or soul doll representative of your self, or is it a 'poppet' or something you made to represent another?

It would also depend on your intentions when you made the doll, to help or protect or to harm?

-----------------------------

My doll is a helper in all aspects, and I made her with fabric, parts of me and my breath. We look identical, but we don't share the same name. It's a kind of "spiritual daughter".

Edited by An_Bruane

Well then, the salt bath to absorb negativity as Oroboros suggested would not be a bad idea.

Just salt, not liquid of course, unless you think the salt may damage some of the materials.

I would suggest you smudge (or smoke cleanse) her as well, just as you may do for yourself, from head to toe. 

After that, feed her. You can feed her by sprinkling her with a little alcohol, even better if it is something that you enjoy.

Whisper to her to reaffirm your intentions. Breath the life back into her if you feel it is necessary. 

Love her, care for her, give her a special place and talk to her often.

Thanks for the bumb Solanaceae. I did read this tread indeed (great info here) and now wondering if I should have asked my question here instead of making a new topic? sorry

If anyone doesn't sew Pat Catans has cloth dolls already made you can cut open and add stuff. If someone feels like they can't make one. 

Interesting topic, but I don't think I would make a mini-me. The only doll I have, is a rag doll that looks like Margaret Hamilton, The Wicked Witch of the West.

She is awesome and guards my change jar.

Bumping this. I'm wondering if a doll baby serves as a means of protection, to take a hit so to speak, can the same doll baby be used for healing work or is that meddling the pot too much? I'm curious but hesitant to try it out since it's an effigy of me. Has anyone used two dolls before, for different purposes?

Sign in to follow this