#41 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Good Morning everyone!

I am totally enjoying this thread and this would be my first reply :wavex: lol!
I made a poppet last night, of my boss. Horrible, hateful, evil woman. I do not want to use my own blood to " wake her up ", it already has her hair in it. My question.... is she awake? I'm trying to get her out of the work place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through almost each thread looking for answers and haven't came across much. Thank you all :smile:

Ryan.

I would say it is not awake if you have not awoken it. I would also say that if it is to represent this woman it would need to be, and given direction. I would say that to actually represent her it would have to have "life". And I,personally, wouldn't add my own DNA to a poppet or any spell unless I was the target.

M

#42 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

I would say it is not awake if you have not awoken it. I would also say that if it is to represent this woman it would need to be, and given direction. I would say that to actually represent her it would have to have "life". And I,personally, wouldn't add my own DNA to a poppet or any spell unless I was the target.

M

I agree with Michele here. I would never put my DNA into a poppet that I was not intending to use on myself.
As far as waking the poppet. I literally breathe life into mine, usually.
Or depending on the circumstance I have "resurrected" some poppets by interment in a grave for a set number if days, and then I resurrect the coffin I have the poppet buried in. I remove the poppet and then breathe life back into it.

That is completely different from how I would handle a soul doll. I still have never fashioned a soul doll.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#43 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Damn. If I have to type this response one more time I'm going to smack my computer, lol. I agree that breathing life into something is how to awaken a poppet. The bible (often considered a type of grimoire of the Xtian mythology) even has this in it - how the "poppets" of god that he made to run his little doll-house paradise were merely clay dolls until life was "breathed" into them. And then there's also the lesson of programming something correctly so nothing else can interfere and your little poppets don't get their own ideas and run amok and escape their doll-house paradise and take over. Guess god never read "Mutiny on the Bounty" lol.

M

#44 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Bumping this topic because I have been working closely with creating my own spirit doll recently. I've been experimenting with using the doll as an emotions exchange, storing positive feelings and reclaiming them when needed. I've invested the doll with my own blood and hair and made her clothing from fabric I have worn myself to create a bond between us. I have also shared my name with her as I believe this will enhance the connection between us. I'm interested in progressing this further by creating another doll to house my more negative emotions - to represent my more "shadow" side and to store the feelings I would draw upon for more aggressive workings. Anyone any experience of this? 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#45 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

I have in the past stored things, and I think a doll for storing emotions may be a good way to really get to know one's self, but, ultimately, I think our experiences and their associated lessons are stored within us. As long as the lesson is understood then I think that information is already available in memory, including past understandings from those who have gone on before us if one has access to "collective memory". If I need to do a working for something for which I need anger, then chances are I am already angry. Personally, I don't like to do things in an emotional state, but the feeling should be there already. I do think if one has something they need to explore, and it is too close to home or too painful to be objective, then the psychological act of "storing" the memory for objective exploration could be helpful (this is much like how I will write a story about a character who is dealing with something that I am going through but I am not objective enough to be able to deal with it in a non-reactional state, so I have the characters deal with it, which removes my emotions from the situation and gives me a clearer head). 

I have a piece of willow that I talk to about very emotional issues, and just the talking through it often helps, and she also houses a spirit that is very helpful in guidance. Not in fixing or making it all go away, for that is not her nature, but in helping me to know and remember that I'm not the only one to ever experience xyz and that others before me have gone through this and survived, and overcome, etc., and how they did it. This piece of wood I have, incidentally, enclosed in a doll. It makes it easier to carry in mundane places. She is not huge and it's easy to hang her from a paperclip by my desk if I feel the need for her guidance and/or company. But her heart and soul and memory is not specifically mine, her heart is willow and her memory is of those who have ever called upon the willow for guidance.

M

#46 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

Bumping this topic because I have been working closely with creating my own spirit doll recently. I've been experimenting with using the doll as an emotions exchange, storing positive feelings and reclaiming them when needed. I've invested the doll with my own blood and hair and made her clothing from fabric I have worn myself to create a bond between us. I have also shared my name with her as I believe this will enhance the connection between us. I'm interested in progressing this further by creating another doll to house my more negative emotions - to represent my more "shadow" side and to store the feelings I would draw upon for more aggressive workings. Anyone any experience of this? 

Yes, but not from a personal, storage standpoint, but from a manipulation standpoint.  If you can put it in and draw it out, other people can to.  Not a doll in the situation I am thinking of, but still a storage vessel for emotional energy.  Most people do not know anyone who would care to or have the capacity to mess with them in that manner, but you might want to guard the holy living hell out of any object that you have purposely aligned so closely to yourself.  Sharing your name with the doll is enough, alone, to make it and you vulnerable. 

#47 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yes, but not from a personal, storage standpoint, but from a manipulation standpoint.  If you can put it in and draw it out, other people can to.  Not a doll in the situation I am thinking of, but still a storage vessel for emotional energy.  Most people do not know anyone who would care to or have the capacity to mess with them in that manner, but you might want to guard the holy living hell out of any object that you have purposely aligned so closely to yourself.  Sharing your name with the doll is enough, alone, to make it and you vulnerable. 

Essential you are making a poppet of your shadow side.  To me, I am leery of separating parts of myself in that way or tying parts of myself to an object.  Especially if its in an object that is vulnerable to the ire and manipulation of others.  I would not do it to other spirits and definitely not myself. 

Recently, I have had a poppet of myself made by an in-law whom I recognize as being one to wield magic unconsciously.  This poppet she made, is forever frozen in her crocheted wedding dress next to her partner.  This scared the bejessus out of me because to me, this was potent magic cast on my partner and I to stay together, an etheric tie that goes beyond that of marriage which can be a gift or curse depending on how the relationship goes. I have since been given the doll pair as a gift and I know I will have have to guard that doll pair from others that know how to influence such things. It is a heavy burden that I would have not chosen to have. I absolutely do not like having such a vulnerability.  That said, I pity the person that tries to mess with the dolls. :)  Vulnerabilities can turn in to great hindrances or great strengths. Something of this caliber takes great responsibility and is, to me, akin to having a child.  

So if this is what you are in to, I say be very careful and diligent. 

#48 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Essential you are making a poppet of your shadow side.  To me, I am leery of separating parts of myself in that way or tying parts of myself to an object.  Especially if its in an object that is vulnerable to the ire and manipulation of others.  I would not do it to other spirits and definitely not myself. 

Looking at it objectively, I don't think I have anything to gain by using different dolls for different parts of myself. I can understand what you mean WR about separating parts of yourself and I can see where you're coming from. Possibly it would have the effect of weakening the whole which would cause obvious concern for a witch. I also wonder if its just too simplistic to try and demarcate individual parts of a person, human emotions are too complex a blend. I think I will achieve more by infusing the bond between myself and my doll with the essence of who I am instead of trying to pull out separate strands of my personality.

On a side note, this whole experience has been interesting in terms of the very tangible nature of the magic. In the blood awakening ritual, I noticed the doll's eyes moving from side to side and blinking. Didn't think much of it until I noticed the day after that the dolls eyes are actually fixed and painted on with no movable parts...  Admittedly that was a little creepy.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#49 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I cannot tell if you missed the point, DG, or just chose not to focus on the concern. So, you made or have a poppet, gave it you name, put your clothe on it, awoke it with your blood, and tied it to your emotions? Keep talking. I mean I like you right now, and you do not have anythiing I want, but I like to keep my options open.

#50 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Out of curiosity DG, if you're the one who made it, how did you "notice" a few days later that the eyes were fixed and painted on?  Didn't you do this - or did you get someone else to?

This whole thread has me wondering - what if you made a doll baby with two people's treasures and DNA? (Perhaps this is a new thread - sorry).  Say sisters or partners.  Mine is going cross-Atlantic in a while, and this might be a way to 'nurture' the relationship while he's gone?  Or, as WR said, perhaps this is too much trust to put in one item.  More thinking to do.

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#51 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

I cannot tell if you missed the point, DG, or just chose not to focus on the concern. So, you made or have a poppet, gave it you name, put your clothe on it, awoke it with your blood, and tied it to your emotions? Keep talking. I mean I like you right now, and you do not have anythiing I want, but I like to keep my options open.

Lol. Sorry, I didn't comment on the concerns but I certainly took them to heart, particularly your advice to make sure the doll is kept as securely as possible as I'm entirely in agreement that creating this has created a potential vulnerability. Actually, after reading some of the advice on the thread, I've taken further steps than I would have to ensure I have a completely private locked space to keep it in. The primary danger as far as I'm concerned is giving anyone access to manipulate the doll and in the sense that I'm keeping it safe and I only live with benign individuals who do not practise magic, its not a great risk that anyone who knows what do do will decide they want to do anything negative toward me. But as I can be a bit cavalier sometimes, it was good to have a reminder from those I like and respect that possibly I do need to take a little more care and not leave myself open to potential harm.

(Mind you, seeing as I often do entirely miss the point, I'm not ruling that out either!)

#52 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Out of curiosity DG, if you're the one who made it, how did you "notice" a few days later that the eyes were fixed and painted on?  Didn't you do this - or did you get someone else to?

I used a china doll I purchased. To be honest, the "housing" and appearance of the doll wasn't that important to me, I was much more concerned with what I was going to do with it. So I just bought a doll I liked the look of (took off its pretty clothes to put on a badly sewed rag made from an old caminsole top of mine) and cleansed it.

#53 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

When you "awakened" it... what direction/s did you give it? Does it specifically represent you (as in is it you), or was it awakened with another spirit to live in it, or was it only directed to house things of you? Because, depending on how you awakened it and how long it was told it would have "life" you could dismantle it. If it is a living actual representation of you, be careful of other things, too,  besides people... like fire, the dog being attracted to the smell and chewing it up, etc... :-(

M

#54 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

When you "awakened" it... what direction/s did you give it? Does it specifically represent you (as in is it you), or was it awakened with another spirit to live in it, or was it only directed to house things of you? Because, depending on how you awakened it and how long it was told it would have "life" you could dismantle it. If it is a living actual representation of you, be careful of other things, too,  besides people... like fire, the dog being attracted to the smell and chewing it up, etc... :-(

M

Hi M, very much the latter. It has been created to act as a siphon for any emotions I want to temporarily remove from my actual self. So it represents me and has my thoughts and emotions inside it. Its alive in the sense that it feels the things that I do.The idea is that it becomes a store of my feelings which I can then exchange backwards and forwards between the doll and myself. I don't really believe in the idea of splitting the spirit so I see the spirit of the doll as more of a mirror image of my own, awakened with the emotions I choose to share with it. So yes, to an extent a living representation but controlled by what I specifically want to share. The direction I gave it was to awaken and to take on the essence of myself. I was wary of putting a time limit on the period of life for obvious reasons...

Hard to explain, I feel language is letting me down for once on this one.

#55 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Does it know when to "stop" being you? Like after you've lived a (happy and very long life), and you pass on.... will it "die" with you - does it know to do that? Or will it continue to "be" you and if yes, is someone in place who can care for it but still let your spirit pass on?

M

#56 Roanna

Roanna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Does it know when to "stop" being you? Like after you've lived a (happy and very long life), and you pass on.... will it "die" with you - does it know to do that? Or will it continue to "be" you and if yes, is someone in place who can care for it but still let your spirit pass on?

M

It will die with me, it is only alive as long as there is a connection between us which will cease upon my own death. To be honest the thought of my spirit living on in an item that I have no protection over hen I have passed on breaks me into a cold sweat. That's something I really wouldn't want to get involved in. I don't actually think I've ever met anyone who has done anything like that - deliberately created a representation of themselves to live past their own death. I'd be fascinated to discuss if anyone has, but speaking personally, that's something I would never feel comfortable doing.

#57 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have heard of some people doing this by choice as guardians (and I believe some not by choice), although it would be something, I would think, that would need to be done within an established, working family to have any degree of safety....

I'm sure you know this, lol, but for anyone reading who may be thinking of making a "self doll" I would say it is extremely important to put a time-limit on it's connection/inhabitance when it is made because if it is not told, but only enlivened, then it does not know. These things only know the directions they are given when made.... so something to put A LOT of thought into...

M

Edited by Michele, 21 July 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#58 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm sure you know this, lol, but for anyone reading who may be thinking of making a "self doll" I would say it is extremely important to put a time-limit on it's connection/inhabitance when it is made because if it is not told, but only enlivened, then it does not know. These things only know the directions they are given when made.... so something to put A LOT of thought into...

M

Michele's comments relate to the concept of the fetch.  Even though Michele and I disagree on some of the finer points of fetch, on this point we agree . . . the "doll" must be told exactly what its purpose is and when that purpose is finished.  This is an added safeguard, if someone does happen to steal the doll.  The maker knows when the connection and influence is severed.  I know someone who uses a one month timeframe, re-establishing the connection on that schedule, but that is up to the person.  I think it is a good plan, though.

#59 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Bumped for RaverFlyer because this is too good to miss!

#60 An_Bruane

An_Bruane

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

When you leave the doll unattended for some time for personal troubles and you feel that you have lost your connection with the doll or she is full of negativity...what do you recommend to do?

thanks