66 replies to this topic

#21 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

Jevne-- did you ever get a hold of your mamaw? I am interested to know if her doll babies were the same idea as the ones my mamaw and aunt made.

I have also been thinking about this topic recently again because growing up my sister and I were called doll boy and doll girl by my mamaw. I know my mom had a really hard time carrying full term and had a few miscarriages before my sister was born. I wonder if my mamaw may have done something witchy (though she would never call it that lol) in order to help my mom conceive and carry full term. And that is why she called us doll boy and girl and occasionally boy doll and girl doll.
Perhaps I am reading more into it than there is and it was just a term of endearment lol.
Sadly, she died in 1994 so I can't ask her.

My Mamaw said that sometimes a doll is just a doll, but under some circumstances a doll is created for a child to serve as a sort of spiritual guardian. The doll is usually made faceless, but bears other characteristics or clothing choices depending on the specific spirit it is intended to invoke or represent. Not every child was deemed to need this kind of protection. Some factor in the child's life triggered the making of the doll, which if memory serves her right is made very simply and kept in the child's room. The terms doll-baby or baby-doll are not particularly related to this lore, that she is aware of.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but there it is.
Jevne

#22 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Thanks jevne!
It does make sense. I don't know all the details of what the dolls were that my mamaw made, but it would make sense that they would make dolls as guardians. I so recall seeing quite a few faceless dolls in my mamaw's house. Perhaps that is what she was creating for people.

I think the term doll babies is just what she called them.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#23 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

I am a little confused.
What is the purpose of a doll made to look like oneself? If you can't protect yourself, feed your soul, how could you protect the doll? I suppose you could use it to achieve a future goal; as you suggested; weight loss...
The coral thing is pretty cool though, infact, the construction of the doll is fascinating.

Also, it is wonderful to have an heirloom recipe book, my Grandma Scottie made me one w/ poems and lots of notes. I'd better scan it soon, it's very worn.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#24 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

I am a little confused.
What is the purpose of a doll made to look like oneself? If you can't protect yourself, feed your soul, how could you protect the doll? I suppose you could use it to achieve a future goal; as you suggested; weight loss...
The coral thing is pretty cool though, infact, the construction of the doll is fascinating.

Also, it is wonderful to have an heirloom recipe book, my Grandma Scottie made me one w/ poems and lots of notes. I'd better scan it soon, it's very worn.

Something that RavenFlyer put in the original post may hold the answer . . . "you are getting in touch with yourself". If a person is for any reason unable to connect to his/her inner self, the doll could serve as a type of physical / tactile substitute.

Just a thought.
Jevne

#25 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

You all want to see some really freaky dolls, check out this website.

Shain Erin Art dolls

I actually like these dolls, but they could not be in my bedroom. They would have to be in a room where I didn't see them before I went to sleep. LOL

My ETSY store:

#26 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

Shain Erin Art dolls

I actually like these dolls, but they could not be in my bedroom. They would have to be in a room where I didn't see them before I went to sleep. LOL

Oddly, those dolls don't freak me out nearly as much as normal dolls do. Anytime I see a regular old doll that my little one has left laying around, it gives me the willies. Dolls that are intentionally creepy looking don't make me feel that way at all. But if they started to move or twitch, that would be a different story! :bolt:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#27 Vixen

Vixen

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

I've always wanted to make something like that but poppets, voodoo dolls, doll babies, soul dolls all kind off creep me out, especially don't like the 'sack' material some are made of.

Shain Erin Art dolls

I like these dolls too (maybe not the one with all the eyes), I saw a woman making something like this at an art fair but they were sooooo expensive.

Sometimes we cannot have to keep

Many things we can never take home

Enjoy that which is offered

And know it is

As it should be

Accept.

Anji Alexander

#28 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yeah I think I could make dolls like this lol. I think I may try soon. But the cost is really high. I looked at the ETSY page and the cheapest he is selling the doll for is $75 and up to $350!!
My ETSY store:

#29 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Bumping this thread as I am currently making three applehead dolls. I do not think I am going to be making these soul dolls, but hearth dolls. I will post pictures of my hearth doll shortly so you all can see what I mean by applehead dolls.
My ETSY store:

#30 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

here is the picture of my mountain lady with her bag of bones, grapevine hair stick/wand, and oak walking stick.

Attached Files

My ETSY store:

#31 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

here is the picture of my mountain lady with her bag of bones, grapevine hair stick/wand, and oak walking stick.

That's awesome, RF! I love the expression of the face. :biggrin:

#32 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Love her RF!
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#33 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

I love applehead dolls! I made one when I was a kid. My grandpa taught me how to make it. He said his sisters used to play with them when they were kids. He also showed me these faceless dolls that were hand made and sewn from flour sacks. He called all dolls dollbabies. He did let slip a few times about some special dollbabies that his momma used to make and sell for special reasons. I think he was trying to impress me with the skill she had but he would tell me these dollbabies would have special qualities and be really lifelike and become their 'real' baby. I never really understood or took what he was saying to heart. It sounded like a long tale to me, but he swore it was true.

He grew up around Ashville, NC near the former Buckner, NC. RF, do you think this could be like the dollbabies you are describing?

#34 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

He grew up around Ashville, NC near the former Buckner, NC. RF, do you think this could be like the dollbabies you are describing?

Very possibly. Part of my family comes from that area of NC.

My ETSY store:

#35 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

My Mamaw said that sometimes a doll is just a doll, but under some circumstances a doll is created for a child to serve as a sort of spiritual guardian. The doll is usually made faceless, but bears other characteristics or clothing choices depending on the specific spirit it is intended to invoke or represent. Not every child was deemed to need this kind of protection. Some factor in the child's life triggered the making of the doll, which if memory serves her right is made very simply and kept in the child's room. The terms doll-baby or baby-doll are not particularly related to this lore, that she is aware of.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but there it is.
Jevne

This was our tradition as well..

Love the Mountain Lady RF.. she is awesome..

We are in the process of making corn husk dolls....

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#36 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

I think it would also be good for transferring things like sickness and what not. I could see trying to do a little bit of a Dorian Gray experiment with this too, but that could be bad.

That kinda got me thinking if you applied this to self portraits and statues. Many of my family have busts and portraits, including myself, created by my grandmother. When my grandfather died his was a great source of comfort and still is. It would be fun to think of the possibilities if it was done with someones own hands. A bust could be dressed, a painting could be altered etc. A minature portrait could be taken anywhere. Only issue is perhaps the level of value that could be applied to them, risk of being stolen etc.

What I love most about this idea with the dolls is that it would likely help those who suffer from self neglect. People sacrifice a lot of time and care for their baby and when that baby happens to be you... pretty effective.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#37 Azel Gnostic Moon

Azel Gnostic Moon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Good Morning everyone!

I am totally enjoying this thread and this would be my first reply :wavex: lol!
I made a poppet last night, of my boss. Horrible, hateful, evil woman. I do not want to use my own blood to " wake her up ", it already has her hair in it. My question.... is she awake? I'm trying to get her out of the work place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through almost each thread looking for answers and haven't came across much. Thank you all :)

Ryan.

#38 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Maybe its just me but I see the poppet as a totally different subject to the soul doll. I see the doll as something invoked for personal protection but the poppet more concerned with sending out my intent to another.

In terms of your poppet Azel, I'm not completely sure what you mean by awaking it. (Thought of course our magical systems may work differently so I am certainly not saying you are wrong.) To me the poppet is a representation, a symbol. I enact my desires on the symbol and will that they be carried through to the source of the representation. If I were the one casting this spell, I would probably do something very visual like drawing the workplace, sprinkling salt round the boundaries and taping the poppet down outside. Or I may bind her and seal the poppet in a bag so she can do no harm to others. But there really are no right and wrongs here. Be guided by your own intuition and what you want the spell to achieve. And if she really is as horrible, hateful and evil as you say she is I'd pop a few stinging nettles in the bag and shake her up a bit.....

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#39 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Maybe its just me but I see the poppet as a totally different subject to the soul doll. I see the doll as something invoked for personal protection but the poppet more concerned with sending out my intent to another.

I agree, that are not necessarily any rights or wrongs, but Degu is right. Soul dolls and poppets are different things, though the idea of symbolizing someone or something is a common feature of the two.

#40 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

I am totally enjoying this thread and this would be my first reply :wavex: lol!
I made a poppet last night, of my boss. Horrible, hateful, evil woman. I do not want to use my own blood to " wake her up ", it already has her hair in it. My question.... is she awake? I'm trying to get her out of the work place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through almost each thread looking for answers and haven't came across much. Thank you all :smile:

Ryan.

Congradulations on your first reply. I am in agreement with my Peers on this, Dear. :) I would also ask you regarding your Haitian Voodoo Path, that this is not a common practice regarding the usage of Poppets ? Just curious, I realize your Path is your own and may be private.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1