Bad experiences with tools?

Abhainn

I had a friend who had a terrible nightmare the night she purchased an athame. She said she dreamed of a hooded old woman chasing her, trying to kill her with the athame. She woke from that dream and dumped everything she had (tarot cards, books, athame, etc) in the trash.

I know that she had some religious hangups like I did/do about witchcraft (she was practically raised Jehovah's Witness), and I brought that to her attention. She felt so certain that the dream came because of the athame, not the fears she harbored, that I dropped it. I have since thought about it quite a bit. Is it possible that the athame had some residual energy in it that prompted the dream, that maybe someone "charged" it with malicious intent?

Abhainn

I seriously doubt anyone purposely 'maliciously charged' it but it is possible there was some negative residue from either the previous owner or the maker. That's why you always cleanse anything you purchase - brand-new or used. Ya never know.

It's also possible your friend was feeling a wee bit of fear that she has yet to admit to herself.

That's one of the problems with buying tools... one never knows for sure where the store got them from. If they are not new, who knows what the prior used them for, whether or not the person knew what they were doing and how much trouble they may or may not have got themselves into. This can be especially true of crystals that are often gone from hand to hand and tend to store things. For that matter who knows - someone shopping may have looked at the arthame and picked it up when they were thinking about their boyfriend who is cheating on them and had a sudden visual of how they'd love the shove the arthame up his cheating, lying, etc. As for maliscious stuff.. .I have a friend with a very off sense of humor and he likes to go to the candle section of stores and charge the pink and heart candles with negative thoughts and discord (and then I run about after him "fixing" them ,lol). Anyway, I'd clean anything you use. And remember its not always an "arthame" there is also the "ardhamme" (sp) which is the "blood letter" although I'd be surprised if a witch would let that get back into circulation if they had been using it. But a lot of dabblers give up and sell their stuff to stores, and who knows what and how they dabbled.

M

I had a friend who had a terrible nightmare the night she purchased an athame. She said she dreamed of a hooded old woman chasing her, trying to kill her with the athame. She woke from that dream and dumped everything she had (tarot cards, books, athame, etc) in the trash.

I know that she had some religious hangups like I did/do about witchcraft (she was practically raised Jehovah's Witness), and I brought that to her attention. She felt so certain that the dream came because of the athame, not the fears she harbored, that I dropped it. I have since thought about it quite a bit. Is it possible that the athame had some residual energy in it that prompted the dream, that maybe someone "charged" it with malicious intent?

Abhainn

I seriously doubt anyone purposely 'maliciously charged' it but it is possible there was some negative residue from either the previous owner or the maker. That's why you always cleanse anything you purchase - brand-new or used. Ya never know.

It's also possible your friend was feeling a wee bit of fear that she has yet to admit to herself.

That's one of the problems with buying tools... one never knows for sure where the store got them from. If they are not new, who knows what the prior used them for, whether or not the person knew what they were doing and how much trouble they may or may not have got themselves into. This can be especially true of crystals that are often gone from hand to hand and tend to store things. For that matter who knows - someone shopping may have looked at the arthame and picked it up when they were thinking about their boyfriend who is cheating on them and had a sudden visual of how they'd love the shove the arthame up his cheating, lying, etc. As for maliscious stuff.. .I have a friend with a very off sense of humor and he likes to go to the candle section of stores and charge the pink and heart candles with negative thoughts and discord (and then I run about after him "fixing" them ,lol). Anyway, I'd clean anything you use. And remember its not always an "arthame" there is also the "ardhamme" (sp) which is the "blood letter" although I'd be surprised if a witch would let that get back into circulation if they had been using it. But a lot of dabblers give up and sell their stuff to stores, and who knows what and how they dabbled.

M

Whenever I buy anything it's cleansed by me, for me only. Who would want another's energy bound to that item? Not another being touches my craft items, after I've cleansed them, and I periodically re-new and re-charge them, because I can. Your friend, not only is entertaining " fear ", she's also riddled with shame and guilt. It's tied to her JW upbringing. This walk is not for everybody. It's a total life change, not for the faint of heart. My passion is as great for the traditional ways, as a JW is for his/her religion. It doesn't matter, who believes what.. it's the passion that surrounds it. Now the JW, may take their passion and use it to it's fullest potential and run about saving and all that faldarah, I take my passion, and form it into intent. It's the same emotion, that's the beauty of it, it's fervour at its utmost best.

Regards,

Gypsy

On a lighter note, I did something stupid, of which I learned from quite fast. Never never blow on a herbal base spell that you are sure that you did not add sulpher to. I burnt one of my eyebrows off. Not only was it painful, the embarassment lasted for weeks.

Regards,

Gypsy :rolleyes_witch:

As for maliscious stuff.. .I have a friend with a very off sense of humor and he likes to go to the candle section of stores and charge the pink and heart candles with negative thoughts and discord (and then I run about after him "fixing" them ,lol).

I wanna go do this to the store that won't sell black candles because they're "evil". So tempting.....!!!!!!

Anyways, items should always be cleansed and in a manner sanctified for your personal use. Even if you're picking up a knife out of your kitchen drawer, you need to take and in some way tell it that it's going to be used for such and such, even if it's one time use, or at least that's what I do. Helps the juice flow. Plus you don't know what you wer thinking the last time you held said knife, so it's always a good idea to direct its purpose a little.

Guest Hajnalka

I was raised a non denominational christian, i then converted to reform then conservative judaism for nearly 10 years. When i first stepped into a Hindu temple ( im a practising hindu now ) - i was fine with the teachings ,the dress - everything - even the murtis/ deities ... but what really got me was that when you enter the templle room you bow to the floor in front of the dieties.. id had it drummed into me for so many years that bowing to idols is to go against God .. and this was in Judaism that takes a very tolerant view to other faiths...

still - although i did it to follow the ettiquette there - it took me over a year to actually be ok with this aspect of the faith - no matter how at home i felt in it... i too had bad dreams etc ... i can only imagine what it must be like for your friend ...

i think that perhaps its a mixture both of pre conditioning - and a sign that those tools or methods of practising the craft just arent right for her... i dont think its evil or anything like that ... just the voice and fears of her subconcious and i think its something shell have to overcome her self ...

ok seems some lessons have been learned, never ever fuck with things if you dont know what you are doing! Look after yor back because nobody else will and witchcrraft and religion dont mix.

ok seems some lessons have been learned, never ever fuck with things if you dont know what you are doing! Look after yor back because nobody else will and witchcrraft and religion dont mix.

True, witchcraft and religion don't mix. And it's hard as hell to separate the two once they're mashed together. :)

True, witchcraft and religion don't mix. And it's hard as hell to separate the two once they're mashed together. :)

While all 3 of use agree that witchcraft and religion do not mix, Abhainn could you exercise your thought process to accept this. While both are separate in their creative processes, for the individual. I pose this, both are/ or can be ritualistic in their makeup. Who mashes them together, the creator of the ritual or the NOT knowing one indoctrinated into that form of belief and practice ? Oftimes, I've had to shed former beliefs like a snake sheds skin, it's a process, a work in progress, it takes the " hard as hell " element out of the shedding for me when I think of that natural animal.

Regards,

Gypsy

Hoodoo (or Voodoo - forgive me I can't remember which, lol) is a religion and they also practice magic. Does that make them witches? Is there a "third" definition for the religions that do happen to practice magic? I would also say that Santeria is a religion (I'll have to ask my friend, lol, never asked him) as they devote and have diety alters and their lives are dedicated to a diety, yet they also practice magic... how would people describe them - religions, craft paths, or something else?? Is a witch soley defined by whether or not a person practices magic?

M

Hoodoo (or Voodoo - forgive me I can't remember which, lol) is a religion and they also practice magic. Does that make them witches? Is there a "third" definition for the religions that do happen to practice magic? I would also say that Santeria is a religion (I'll have to ask my friend, lol, never asked him) as they devote and have diety alters and their lives are dedicated to a diety, yet they also practice magic... how would people describe them - religions, craft paths, or something else?? Is a witch soley defined by whether or not a person practices magic?

M

Hoodoo- folk based magic with a lot of rootwork and some religion tied in as it got worked together/hidden in Christian aspects, though it is a bit more detached from religion.

Voodoo- is actually the american form of Voudon, the African based religion of magic and the 7 great powers. That's where Papa Legba comes in, especially in the Haitian form. While there are many religious ties in Voodoo/Voudon, you can do much of the magic without the religious aspect, just have to give thanks where thanks is due, or at least that's been my experience.

Santeria is also another highly magic practice based religion, in many ways Voudon mixed with Catholicism, but a bit harder to divide the religion from the magic.

I think for a witch, religion needs to be defined. Religion and belief can be very much the same thing and it all depends on whether your deciding your own beliefs/making your own religion of sorts or let a religion decided your beliefs for you. When one is letting religion decide for them, it's very hard to have true witchcraft and religion. However, in the case of let's say being Christian or believing in Jesus, one can very much look to Jesus and live in the manner Jesus did and even look at his miracles as being witchcraft, and even use the bible as some guidance, but it all depends on the witch, what the witch chooses in how and what to believe and how they choose to grow as a witch. It's all the direction one decides to take it. While witchcraft is not a religion, I stand firmly behind the fact that it can be apart of any religion or none at all. It is all up to the witch.

M

That is an interesting question, Michele. At first, I would say that practicing magic is a necesary component of claiming the title of Witch. Do people who practice Santeria or Voodoo call themselves Witches, or is that just a catch all term applied to anyone whose practices and rituals are not commonly understood? Have to think about it a little.

Jevne

That is an interesting question, Michele. At first, I would say that practicing magic is a necesary component of claiming the title of Witch. Do people who practice Santeria or Voodoo call themselves Witches, or is that just a catch all term applied to anyone whose practices and rituals are not commonly understood? Have to think about it a little.

Jevne

having studied and talked to practitioners of Voodoo and Santeria I can add a little to this topic.

In voodoo an initiate would be called a vodun, and someone who is a priestess is Mambo, and a priest is Hougan.

I know some practitioners don't mind the title of witch even though they are technically practitioners of a religion. Within Voodoo and Santeria the focus is on honoring your Ache' (the dash should be over the e, but I don't know how to format it like that). The Ache is the loa (voodoo spirit), or Orisha (Santeria spirit) that rides the initiates and priests head.

The magic that they do always goes through certain Loa/Orisha. Some practitioners practice Hoodoo along with voodoo/Santeria/Santa muerte/Yoruban faiths.

But Hoodoo is a separate entity all its own. Hoodoo is part African, part native American, part European and is just magic. No specific spirits or energies are called upon. They do use certain catholic saints in their workings though.

Jevne

Most people who are faithful to these religions do not call themselves witches, however it doesn't stop the whole village they live in from calling them something of the sort. I think Witch is a term that can be used to describe anyone who practices magical arts. There's many things out there from your Wiccans, Voodoo priests, Shamans, cunning men magicians, and even those who call themselves wizards so I use witch as a bit of an umbrella term, as a practitioner of a magical art or religion, not someone with curiosity or dabbling.

M

I know where you are coming from and there was a discussion not too long ago on another site about this same concept. I do have "religion" and I do practice Witchcraft. But the reason they blend so well is that my religion and my craft are both based on Nature. Nature as the divine and Nature as magic. But to me magic and spell work does not make a witch alone.

When I think of witchcraft, I think of the mundane too such as know the natural, non-magical properties of herbs, trees , minerals, etc and using them appropriately. Observing and following the seasons as your guide in life. I also view walking in between the ordinary and magical (or hedge crossing) as an important part of what makes a witch. I guess there are many qualifiers for me. LOL I would view someone who just does spells as a dabbler.

Jessica

PS I have edited to separate my feelings on religion and craft from what constitutes a witch. Also, I feel I should clarify that a witch could practice a combination of various aspects but not necessarily all of them that I listed. It would be entirely dependent on tradition. However I still stand by my opinion that just doing a spell or two does not make one a witch.

LOL I would view someone who just does spells as a dabbler.

Jessica

i would be very careful saying that out in public to someone who is a rootworker, or conjurer. Someone who practices hoodoo and no religion or doesn't seek to become one with nature isn't what I would call a dabbler. Someone who only occasionally works with magic and doesn't really understand manipulation of energy is what I would call a dabbler. Dabblers to me are little 16 year olds who buy a book and try the spells in the back. People who don't understand what they are doing but doesn't seek to become one with nature is just a different type of practitioner IMO, and not a dabbler.

i would be very careful saying that out in public to someone who is a rootworker, or conjurer. Someone who practices hoodoo and no religion or doesn't seek to become one with nature isn't what I would call a dabbler. Someone who only occasionally works with magic and doesn't really understand manipulation of energy is what I would call a dabbler. Dabblers to me are little 16 year olds who buy a book and try the spells in the back. People who don't understand what they are doing but doesn't seek to become one with nature is just a different type of practitioner IMO, and not a dabbler.

But wouldn't you say that even folks who are practicing Hoodoo or other conjuration works are still working with other levels or planes of existence. They are not just reading a chant from a book and throwing some ingredients in a bowl. They are making contact and working with other forces. And when they do use ingredients, they are using them for their natural properties as much as any magical correspondence.

I would definitely say rootworkers and conjurers work on different planes.

Sorry I must have misinterpreted what you wrote earlier.

No problem. I got to thinking that it might have helped if I had separated my spiritual beliefs into a different paragraph than my qualifications on what makes witchcraft. :rolleyes_witch:

having studied and talked to practitioners of Voodoo and Santeria I can add a little to this topic.

In voodoo an initiate would be called a vodun, and someone who is a priestess is Mambo, and a priest is Hougan.

I know some practitioners don't mind the title of witch even though they are technically practitioners of a religion. Within Voodoo and Santeria the focus is on honoring your Ache' (the dash should be over the e, but I don't know how to format it like that). The Ache is the loa (voodoo spirit), or Orisha (Santeria spirit) that rides the initiates and priests head.

The magic that they do always goes through certain Loa/Orisha. Some practitioners practice Hoodoo along with voodoo/Santeria/Santa muerte/Yoruban faiths.

But Hoodoo is a separate entity all its own. Hoodoo is part African, part native American, part European and is just magic. No specific spirits or energies are called upon. They do use certain catholic saints in their workings though.

Thank you for the clarification.

J

I view my "belief system", if you will, as more of a spirituality, than a religion. I tend to equate religion with dogma-rules, set rituals, etc. I may revere, give thanks to and make requests of Deity, aspects of nature, Spirits, but I follow no rules and do not feel obligated to perform ritual. I will, if I feel the need, but not because I "have" to. This, I suppose, is the way I reconcile my spirituality with my Craft. I hope that makes some kind of sense! (kinda hard to explain)

Elizabeth

I view my "belief system", if you will, as more of a spirituality, than a religion. I tend to equate religion with dogma-rules, set rituals, etc. I may revere, give thanks to and make requests of Deity, aspects of nature, Spirits, but I follow no rules and do not feel obligated to perform ritual. I will, if I feel the need, but not because I "have" to. This, I suppose, is the way I reconcile my spirituality with my Craft. I hope that makes some kind of sense! (kinda hard to explain)

Elizabeth

Actually perfect sense. I guess I would say mine is spiritual too but I try to refrain from saying that I am a Spiritualist, which is often associated with fortune tellers and mediums. I may practice them but I don't go around making money off of people by doing that.

• 1 year later...

Archived