How an why did you choose your user name?

Firebird

Noticing some really unusual an interesting user names here. What made you choose yours, an why?

Well mine is actually from the Pontiac Firebird I bought recently that has a way of erm poking fate if you like, an turning my life upside down.

I bought it last August, the one just gone. Not even sure why I bought it, but it was on Ebay. It was on one of those listings that has a best offer attached. So I liked the look of it an not really expecting to buy it, put forward what I can only describe as a derisory offer, just pror to the listing closing. I was shocked when it was accepted, but at that price I definately wanted it.

I arranged to go an collect it, an was told by the seller that he really had to sell it. As he was getting married in a couple of days an was out of the country for a month. "Well we both had a result then", I thought at the time. An I absolutely adored driving it home, an fell in love with it :chakrahearts: . Nothing has manged to pass it yet :crossfingers: .

But I get it home an after a couple of weeks it decides it wont start, I tried everything :brickwall: .

So put the car aside for a mo.... while I start the other bit of the story.

Anyway, I decide to go out. An unexpectedly meet up with a man I met briefly many years ago. Didn't think any thing of it at the time, an probably would never have given him another thought, untill he finds me on Facebook and suggests a chat over breakfast....(No he didnt stay the night lol). Well we had a natter an it all seemed non romantic. An during our convo I mentioned my car problems an he suggested coming an taking a look at it another day.

Anyway he had a look at the car the next day an couldn't fix it . An then he had a look at me as well, an we sorta hit it off :loveeyes: .

Well that should be enough to show you why I chose the Firebird as a user name but it dosn't end there.

So this bloke an I are all loved up an stuff an things were going good. Untill we have a huge row because he is stressed about fitting in a job, his hobbies, his studies, his family, doing up his house to sell an me, ...I mean like I'm demanding or something :rolleyes_witch: . ( I mean MEN, they cant juggle a life, can they! ). So he says he dosn't want to see me again!!!! WTF.... Well after being "dumped" an by text :cry_witch: . I am not ever, ever going to call him again.

BUT....................................... I go out in my car an damn thing puts its self into a series of skids, nearly killing me. So just mentioned this on my Facebook profile , as you do. (Maybe I shoulda called myself Facebook, thats cropping up a lot , hang on same initials, wooooooooo. ) An he gets in contact an askes me not to drive it anymore an that he will give me a lift back from the garage if I take my safe an boring Volvo in to have fixed so I can use that instead.

So thats why I call myself Firebird....an if I ever live happily ever after with this man I will let you know....But right now if he wasn't already a pig I would turn him into one :jackoff: , sorry couldn't resist that emoticon.

11 dec 10 Bloke has been promoted to just plain idiot......who knows at this rate he may even make twit before the end of the year.

:witchbroom:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Melodye

Noticing some really unusual an interesting user names here. What made you choose yours, an why?

So he says he dosn't want to see me again!!!! WTF.... Well after being "dumped" an by text :cry_witch: .

So thats why I call myself Firebird....an if I ever live happily ever after with this man I will let you know....But right now if he wasn't already a pig I would turn him into one :jackoff: , sorry couldn't resist that emoticon.

:witchbroom:

LOL Love it.

Maybe I should have called myself eBay because thats where I met my partner when he bought a pentagram pendant off me. lol.

But to answer the question... Melodye is my real name. Dad is a musician.

Abhainn means "river" in gaelic. I'm very much a water person, and rivers hold a lot of significance for me. I'm constantly in motion spiritually. And I hope, constantly deepening, forming.

Guest willynilly

I needed a new user name for a board and started thinking about where my head was at and what was going on in my life. Based on various definitions willy nilly seemed to fit. It's cute and a bit whimsy. I am definitely random at times and some of my actions are not logical but I see that as a good thing. I have recently changed my self a bit and it just fits.

My father was born in Cork, Ireland, and migrated to the USA when he was 8. ( Celtic Gypsy) ( GaelicGypsy)

Grew up in the Military and went all over the world, lived in many countries. ( Gypsy )

Father was in the Air Force, Flight Engineer, I was in Aviation, Flight Attendant,for 15 plus years, flew all over the world, experianced many places. ( Gypsy )

Because of my strong bloodlines to Ireland and my vagabond ways, it only seemed right to be CelticGypsy.

Regards,

Gypsy

I chose mine because my family is from Ploermel in Brittany, where a lot of the Arthurian legends are set. One of the characters in the legends is Morganeuse; I've always liked the name and then I married someone with the same name her husband has in the legends, so it just seemed right somehow.

Interesting that a lot of people are choosing usernames based on their partners as well as themselves :)

mine seems so boring now...!

Anyway, I love astronomy - when I get a chance and a winter night, cold, cloud free (probably moonless too.. oops!) is the best for it. So its my favourite night.

I know this totally doesn't relate to my dragon avatar, thats just something I drew and liked, but there you have it!:witchbroom:

Guest Hajnalka

My name is an old Hungarian name for Dawn / Sunrise ( or ''glorious dawn according to google translator!!! :) ) .. im part Hungarian ( amoungst other things ) and ive always felt a strong connection to my Hungarian roots- ive also always had a thing about the sun - so it seemed as good a name as any - it was either that or a random word/ name in Lakhota indian ( a language i speak a bit)

... the ''j'' in the name is soft .. so the name is pronounced : Hoi -nahl -kah .. .

Guest loki1980

mines a nickname which followed me from the age of 12, amongst my witch family, my gran started it. i wasnt until i researched who loki was that i fully understood why she called me this. loki was mischievious and was mis understood in alot of ways, he ended up been punished and judged for his wrong doings... i do understand now why my gran started to call me this, even tho i dont entirely agree that me and loki are on the same wavelength, but hey its stook and im comfortable with it.

Well..... it was actually I bit of an odd experience.. you know when you wake up in the middle of the night and have the most amazing idea ever but you know for a fact that the only pen and paper is all the way downstairs in the kitchen (or somewhere else cold and not some where you can reachform your nice warm bed).... that was exactly what happened, I had a very vivid dream with a fox and I was trying to recall all of it while still half asleepand wondering what I was going to have for breakfast.

I must have been lying there for at least 1hr because the sun was coming up, I rolled over, scaring myself to death i sat bolt upright thinking something had grabbed me. It was myself I had a dead arm and now all I can remember there was a fox and an haze tree after all that.

And that is the first time I have remembered a dream since Iwas 16

Well you didn't really need to know all that but that how I chose Vixen

• 7 months later...
Guest Elfyd

I felt this thread needed a bump. I am naturally curious (nosey in the eyes of SOME here) and hopefully this will prompt others to add their stories of name origins.

Mine is pretty simple, it is my middle name, ancient Welsh meaning "Elf World" although I have recently found one other meaning and one possible one, also derived from the Welsh lore. Perhaps our more scholarly Welsh influenced members could illuminate this.

FFFF

Elf

Been using my username for years, it's from a book called the 'The Magic Cottage' by James Herbert. The name of the cottage in the book was called Gramayre, I used this for a while until I lost the password for my hotmail email account so opened another but without the 'e' on the end. It stuck as it makes it unique to me.

Ironically the name 'Gramayre' from the book means 'Magic' lol.

MIne I have also had for years...I picked it at the time to describe my path...and it still does! LOL

My username is my witch name, and it is also a variation on my birth name, which anybody who has been to my public blogs probably already knows, so I won't get all secretive on you guys.

My first name is Holly, and the genus for the holly plant is ilex, which is where I got "Ilexys" (pron. eel-ex-iss) after playing with it as a name.

"Morighanan" (pron. more-ih-gahn-nahn); my surname is Moore, and a large chunk of my heritage is Scotch-Irish, and my most prominent totem is the crow, so I went with a variation on the name of the Irish war goddess, the Morrigan, who takes the form of crows and other carrion birds on the battlefield in Irish mythology.

Why is the spelling so silly? Well...I basically just said different variations in my head until it ran off my tongue like water, and it had a resounding magical...ness...to it.

I've had a couple names previous to this that didn't sit so well over time, but I think this one will stick around for a while. I'm proud of it. :)

Anyone who has watched the fantasy film "Legend" will know where I stole mine from. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to immediately ( The US Edit is better with the Tangerine dream soundtrack ) . It's superbly cheesy and ace :D

Mine is because I love the way the rowan berries light the dull autumn/winter days with their colours. :chakrahearts:

Blyss (Bliss) means contentment and being at peace. I have to say that now, at this stage in my life (49 with 50 very quickly approaching), I am the most at peace with who and what I am. Took a long time to get here, though. :) I find that the older I get, the more I like and appreciate myself for what I've been through and how much more I appreciate others. I find I'm not as judgemental or condemning.

In Norse mythology, Freki (meaning ravenous) is one of two wolves that accompany Odin. The other is Geri (greedy). Freki and Geri get all of the meat served to Odin, as Odin himself drinks only wine. I use the handle 'frekiandgeri' many places. Some places I just use Freki.

I've always felt very drawn to wolves and Norse mythology, which is very inclusive of wolves.

~ Freki

:howl-moon:

Wow am I boring! I chose Stacey because it's my name - I do have a magical name as it were that I chose when I was initiated but I also like my regular, mundane name so I thought why not?

They're lighting the summer days round here. Trees are thick with them !

Lovely. We've had very few the past few years.

Archived