Sign in to follow this  
laine

Your Tools?

I once read that the more one uses their blade in "mundane life" (for those who work with a blade) and it proves itself a worthy tool, the more one will "trust" it in magical uses. Made sense to me. I find that when I get tools it takes me a while to "feel at home" with them and get a relationship going (kind of like meeting a new friend - it takes a while to get to know each other) and I will often use them mundanely for a while or just have them sitting about near me so we can get to know each other. For me my tools have their own "spirit" or spirit/energy/sprowl, etc., residing within them as a fetish object so they may not all get along with me and vice versa, it takes time to see if we "mesh." My staffs and stang I often take walking with me or working out in my yard so they get a feel for me and my house for I find it very necessary that any tool I have understand my house, the spirits which reside therein, my garden, and me. So yes, I've used my blade for mundane things including prying old wax off the table top, lol... never have yet cut cheese with it though ;-) but it's not a bad idea - I love cheese and my jalapenos are harvested and it's time to make some poppers (yum yum)!

I once went through a "use as few tools as possible" stage (and nothing wrong with not using tools for those that don't like them) but I find I have developed a deep bond with many of my tools and although they are all replaceable if I had to dash out of a burning house (there was a thred about that some time ago), I really would miss them all for they are a part of my home I am very much a homebody. My little corn-husk house ward/witch... she talks to me and works with me and yes I could make another, but I'd really miss her. I did my little weekly ritual-thing last night to check in with her and my dead and my spirits and I left her wine as usual and she just wasn't responding. I didn't think much about it, but then right when I was falling asleep I got a craving for a cuppa and had a sudden flash-picture in my mind of this very old (like from when I was 6 and we're not going into how long ago THAT was, lol), china tea-set I had. So this morning I dug about in the shed and sure enough there it was, all wrapped up in tissue in a very disintegrated and bug-eaten old shoe box from Sears. So a few minutes ago I was washing the old miniture tea-set all out with hot soapy water and I could just feel her sighing in anticipation of a nice cuppa in front of the fire, lol. I would miss her dearly.

M

P.S. Here she is, back in her place and fully adorned with the things she uses (and her cuppa!)after the disruption of painting and home decor (different thread, lol):

post-92-0-68110800-1309115446_thumb.jpg

P.S. Here she is, back in her place and fully adorned with the things she uses (and her cuppa!)after the disruption of painting and home decor (different thread, lol):

I love her! and I am sure she would appreciate a biccy too lol!, :chakrahearts:

I too will use whatever is at hand, however, some objects, which I feel immediately drawn to, I will put away and forget about so that they will be more powerful to me when I need them. I do have a couple of things that I have been using for a while that seem to have become more powerful through use, but in most cases, I have a habit of "using up" whatever it is about the tool that is of benefit to me. For this reason, I try not to spend lots of money on tools.

Tools which have become more powerful through use:

- A rock that was brought to me one year ago by a man I love. It is mostly rose quartz and pyrite, but has many other mineral and metallic traces in there too

- My take on a "sweeten up" bottle/drip candle/huge mass of multi-colored wax - a type of southern US folk magic (I am from the deep South) with the aforementioned man's name and my name twined together on red paper, suspended in a bottle in a solution of local honey, chocolate, cane sugar, and a little bit of my own spit. I started this love spell last Halloween.

- Certain pieces of jewelry, shells, and crystals. I have always been drawn to jewelry, beads and crystals. My grandmother was always giving me costume and semiprecious jewelry and teaching me about different stones. I have amassed quite a collection, but only a few pieces have retained their power

Tools which I have worn through quickly:

-certain boxes

- scarves and altar clothes

- clothes that I wear for spellwork

- statuary for focus

- certain herbs (basil in particular, which is a shame. I used to find it very useful)

-random little things on my "altars" that I may draw power from one day, but not the next.

-Most of my jewelry. I have to be careful with jewelry... If I keep it hidden, it retains its power, but If I leave it out, it catches my attention to the point of me draining it when I don't need to.

I work most heavily with dream magic though, which requires no tools other than myself, maybe some coconut incense, and a comfy place to sleep!

I really like to use candles, alot. I also have alot of jewelry that is special to me that I wear. I wish I could use incense but I am sensitive to smells and get migraines from strong smells. I normally have to use scentless candles too. :( I want to get into using herbs. And I love Tarot and Runes.

Guest Rowan

What tools do use in your crafting.? The best an most effective an also the most useless you've used.

:vhappywitch:

My tarot decks are my most used tools, followed by candles, herbs/resins/oils, charcoal disks and matches. :)

Most useless thing I've ever bought...some crappy spell books I got in a cheapo book store when I was first starting out. Truly. Awful. I gave them to a charity shop. Oh! And a set of runes I got at a car boot sale for £1. Seldom use them... they came with a dreadful book by Ralph Blum, who basically made up his own meaning of the runes without doing any research. I threw that book in the bin rather than charity shop it. Why spread misinformation?

What tools do use in your crafting.? The best an most effective an also the most useless you've used.

I swear by my Wands= willow, hollowed out, containing Quartz, sage, sunflower an blood, also I have a crystal one I use for Divining in particular finding lost things.

I also find candles indespensible for all sorts of things, spell work , meditation as an accompanment during scrying. Of course my Scrying mirror.

Collection of herbs an resins for insense an other stuff, better include my herb books.

My Bath for meditation, ritual cleansing.

Also my garden a great source of leaves, plants an things I use. Also use a Heptagram pendant for protection an general well being.

Most useless stuff I have.

Large Crystal wand....absolutley dead!!!!!!!,

Crystal ball.....just dont get anything out of, maybe me, we just dont get on LOL.

Tarot cards...these I cannot touch, give me the creeps.

Most of the books I seem to have collected.

:vhappywitch:

I mostly use myself and whatever I have on hand.

Although, when doing a ritual I will use herbs and resins to cook up incenses and whatnot. Paper and pens. Tarot cards. Books are also something I couldn't get by without.

For some reason anything more ritualistic that the basic set up distracts and confuses me :(

Candles and essential oils are also a must have.

:flyaway:

I use my mind, my candles, herbs, fire, sticks, rocks, water, the wind and dirt. Occasionally tarot cards or runes I have a wand, a walking stick made by my husband but they sit on my alter mostly as decorative items. My calderons and fire pit get lots of wear but that about does it for me when it comes to casting and the use of tools. Never owned an anthem, never felt the use for them. Any blades, knives that I use I also use in my kitchen, as there is lots of magical workings that are done in there.cauldron.gif

I use my mind, my candles, herbs, fire, sticks, rocks, water, the wind and dirt. Occasionally tarot cards or runes I have a wand, a walking stick made by my husband but they sit on my alter mostly as decorative items. My calderons and fire pit get lots of wear but that about does it for me when it comes to casting and the use of tools. Never owned an anthem, never felt the use for them. Any blades, knives that I use I also use in my kitchen, as there is lots of magical workings that are done in there.cauldron.gif

I'm pretty much the same-a variety of items from nature. The most elaborate and beautiful witchy things I have are simply crystals. I have several sticks that I always intended to make into wands by perhaps burning runic symbols into them and/or glueing crystal points onto the ends. I also have thought about wrapping the 'handle' with leather or fabric...But for some reason I feel that I like my natural stick wands, taken from willow, walnut, acacia and crepe myrtle, are beautiful as is.

I'm pretty much the same-a variety of items from nature. The most elaborate and beautiful witchy things I have are simply crystals. I have several sticks that I always intended to make into wands by perhaps burning runic symbols into them and/or glueing crystal points onto the ends. I also have thought about wrapping the 'handle' with leather or fabric...But for some reason I feel that I like my natural stick wands, taken from willow, walnut, acacia and crepe myrtle, are beautiful as is.

PS, that would be Altar, not alter! A typo I fear I do often :)

I use candles, incense, herbs and stones/crystals...also have used tarot cards in certain workings, fire, my own kind of mojo bags, and metals & precious gems <for use in making jewelry, for a purpose>, paper & ink..even food...at times I'll also use items gifted from nature...have used woodpecker feathers, snake skin...ect.

I do have a few wands that I found in the woods...my favorite find is a maple wand that came from a tree that had been struck by lightning ..also have willow, ash, and alder wands.

Other than that, I do follow the stars and pay attention to the moon phases ect....I do see astrology as a tool, days of the week, seasons...ect

I do not have a set altar...I do not have "altar tools"...I don't feel connected with that idea...I can work in the kitchen, in a part of my home, or outside..I like to move about freely

In the most basic sense, I think I follow my intuition, along with any knowledge I have, and just use what "feels" right for whatever working I am doing...

* most useless is probably my willow wand. Can't seem to connect with it.

~Ruby

Edited by ruby

I use candles, herbs, incense, oils, pen and paper mostly. Other things i've used off the top of my head are salt, kitchen knife, playing cards, rock with my blood on it, and crushed up egg shells to name a few.

I also try to go by the moon cycle if possible.

Now I more often find things presenting themselves to me for my workings - old buttons and keys turning up when I know I could use them (in a working) . . .

This is very much the case for me . . . it is either that they turn up when I need them or their appearance prompts me to think of a way that I can use them.

However, I am a total button addict.  I love buttons; big, little, pretty, ugly . . . Oh my!  I have jars full of buttons. 

And keys?  Ooooh, I love, love, love keys. 

These addictions are related to my Empathic ability and my ability to channel emotional and spiritual energy by touch.  Buttons and keys have been repeatedly touched by lots and lots of people, especially if they are old items.  For someone who feeds on emotional energy, playing with a jar of buttons or keys is like a caffeine addict mainlining espresso.

I have a magic button that I've had since childhood :witch_bounce:  I keep it in my change purse.

The dagger I once bought as an athame is one of the few things I still use every once in a while. I have used it for cutting and carving in the real world and in magic practices. Of course, at first I didn't use it for anything but magic, but I didn't feel connected to it. Walking circles with a glorified butter knife in my hand just didn't create the kind of connection I was looking for. That's why I started using it for other things as well and that helped a lot. Having a dagger and not using it seemed like a waste of money and space from the beginning, but I was so into brainwashed by the new agey wiccan witchcraft that I just kept doing what they had told me to do. Today, I hardly make use of "the circle" anymore because I feel like I'm wasting energy on something that's just there to make me feel all witchy and mysterious and cool. 
Another tool I use is a cauldron. Mine is made of copper and it's used to collect and keep things in when I'm crafting, and for burning small things. It's rather big and was used both as a hanging plant pot and a sitting (is that the right word?) plant pot. I have felt a connection to that thing since the first time I saw it as a possible cauldron.

Of course I also use candles and incense and I'm looking into making them myself.

Edited by SerpentWitch

Jevne, now I want to embroider that bit of doggerel on a sampler. Permit?

Edited by Christine

I am not sure what you are referring to . . . but, knock yourself out. <Shrugs>

• Upvote 1

To me tools can be everything, really. My collection of what I consider tools is in a constant state of flux, things come, things go.

Among the constants are the things that have a personal connection with my ancestors, such as a silver spoon once owned by my grandfather (neat detail, it has his initials engraved in it), a leather pouch containing earth from my mother's grave, a colander that once belonged to my grandmother, etc.

Then there are items I either bought, found, or received as a gift. What I use at any given time is up to the vibe of the moment, and the significance of the turn of events leading up to the moment of performing a ritual act. I don't have any special altar, not in my home, nor in my garden or any place else outside. I consider my home to BE my altar, it is crammed with things that are of special significance to me, and when working indoors, the actual place to do it is determined because I feel that place is appropriate. Could be any table, the kitchen work top, a window-sill, somewhere on the floor, etc. I use candles a lot, and every candle holder I use has a story, whether they are ordinary things or antiques or great finds from a thrift shop or flea market. Among my favourite tools are my drinking horn, some vases, a walking stick, a fossil, some pieces of amber, a silver cup, bowls and serving trays, lamps, statues, brass table bells, etc.

When outside, I go to a place in my direct surroundings, a place I have a connection with, then that is my altar, or rather working area. I'm a city guy, and currently a bridge two blocks from my home is my favourite working area, it is of specific significance to me for many reasons. First, I have to cross it to reach the home of the woman I love, the water it bridges is the boundary to cross to get to her. Second, the area is inhabited by a flock of geese I feed on a daily basis. I love those birds and feel a deep connection with them, while they in their turn probably see me primarily as a source of food LOL. Feeding the local birds is a tool to me, a habit to enjoy and bond with the land I inhabit. Third, the bridge and its surroundings are like the green lung of my neighbourhood, lots of trees, and although the water is a manmade canal it has over the years it existed grown into a powerful spirit. I don't need lonely quiet places to get things done, this is where I live so here I do my things, even in broad daylight with lots of locals passing by, they haven't got a clue as to what I'm doing so nobody's going to notice anything freaky LOL. 

I don't own any wands, a stang, ritual knife, etc. I prefer to use the things I feel a mutual connection with, objects I stumble onto or that seem to simply present themselves. And if finding myself without my trusted and beloved tools, there are always the tools that are suddenly just there when the need arises.

Guess my laptop, MP3 player and stereo are among my tools as well, I tend to use music a lot, to create an atmosphere, or to attach a certain vibe to certain objects, or to "dance" to specific music that I consider essential to the chain of events that culminate into the ultimate ritual working.

Edited by Horne

I know this thread is a bit old, but it was some very interesting reading. As for myself, tools can be anything from a pen and scrap of paper to coins, string, sticks and so on, but when it comes to "proper tools", meaning the ones I regularly use for magic, I do have a few: My knife, which belonged to my grandmother; my mortar and pestle; and my cauldron, which I originally bought just to burn things in, but have since been taught in a dream by one of my guides that it is a tool of transformation, and have been using it quite a bit lately. It's one of those small cast iron ones with the triple moon symbol cast into the side, but lately I've been eying my wok for a similar purpose on a larger scale.

I also use candles, mainly because I like them and the way they interact with the atmosphere, as well as mixing and burning herbs. I have a stang that I made from hawthorne, but I haven't really used it yet. It stands in the corner of my living room and seems happy there, maybe that's all it'll ever do...

I also have a sample pack of hemp paper that I got years ago. The paper is great, very sturdy and good for charms and the occasional himmelsbrief. It also burns in a nice way, slow and steady with a low flame.

• Upvote 1

I have tools that have been with me for ages. I also think that tools are just... tools. I always think that passion is for the witch what structure is for the magician, so that I choose the tools according to the intent. However, there are a few things that I've worked with regularly, and work with these things is just so much more powerful and goes much more smoothly.

The things which I've been using for years are:

- Blades. Of every kind. One year ago I fell in love with this dagger at a flea market, and since then it has been appointed official ritual knife. To be honest, it is too big to cut anything besides herbs comfortably, but it is very pointy and sharp, and a bit rusty. I use it to cut big chunks of things, or to attack. Sometimes it just gives me some more authoriti. I have been using all sort of kitchen knives for all sort of things, but with time I have colelcted three prtable knives (opinel ones, if anyone wonders) that are really handy. I take them with me when I travel light, when I need to grave things, when I need to cut cords and other materials. I've also always had a jar with iron nails and needles, they're useful for all sort of things.

- There is a wand that I made myself and that I keep very dear. It is oak, and with time it has become full of engravings.

- Beeswax candles, red, 'neutral', or black are the only candles that I use if possible. For years I've been moving around, and unable to make beeswax candles (buying them is just too expensive), and was forced to work with paraffin candles. I hate them, I don't like the way they smell and I don't like the way they burn.

- Salt, oil and water are present in almost all my workings. They are the first things, together with candles, that I started using. With time, they have become the basic things that I bring at the ritual.

- Ink and paper.

Then there are a lot of other things that I use, many of which can be found in my kitchen or garage. I use bowls for containing and burning things of very different sizes. Cords, needles and strings of various colors.

Good idea to revive this topic :)

Aria

I'm not a "stuff" person at all- a bit on the anti-materialism side, if anything- but OH how I love mundane tools!  My well-stocked art studio reeks of my attachment and affection for the things I use to create.  Same goes for my kitchen: loads of special tools and gadgets, every one of them held in high esteem.  So, naturally, I assumed when I began practicing witchcraft that I would develop the same kind of relationship with ALL the things I would utilize in Casting.

Quite the opposite happened.  I've made several wands from driftwood, but never used them.  I want a special knife, but not badly enough to immediately make one or commission one to be made for me.  I've bought a few things from rummage sales and thrift shops, but they hold no more significance to me than similar baubles used for mundane activities.  Although I've long harbored a desire to create a "real" grimoire, the motivation/drive to do so just isn't there, so I make do with spiral-bound notebooks (none of which I'm particularly attached to).

That being said, there are a few things that would inspire sadness if they went missing:

- Dutch oven (my "stovetop cauldron", heh heh).  I've had it for over six years, intentionally imbuing it even before I got on my Path.  As much as I love using herbs for healing, nothing is half as powerful as my ability to produce healing food in that pot.  :)

- Homemade sea salt.  I did a post of my process here:  http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/10889-how-to-make-sea-salt/

- Hagstone.  I have one that my partner found when we were beachcombing together.  It's my favorite scrying tool.

- Herbs that I've grown or foraged.  I find store-bought herbs to be very, very difficult to connect with for magical purposes (although they do still have medicinal benefits to me).

- Porcupine quill.  It's one of those huge quills from an African crested porcupine, and the only thing I've used for drawing blood for spellwork.

- Feathers.  I have specific ones that are used for explicit purposes, i.e.: the eagle feather is used for fanning smoke from smudging, the crow feather (with a bit of blood still one it) will be attached to my still-incomplete stave, an owl feather is the base for my writing quill.  

Although I've long harbored a desire to create a "real" grimoire, the motivation/drive to do so just isn't there, so I make do with spiral-bound notebooks (none of which I'm particularly attached to).

I wonder who does have a 'real grimoire' these days. I personally have files of papers in folders and boxes.

I would 'organize' my materials in one coherent only only if I were teaching - and even then, I do not know how much more useful than A4 sheets would a 'real' grimoire be.

Aria

I'm a book lover, and although I mostly use my Kindle now due to space (or lack thereof, lol) I have binders and binders and binders of things I have written down, copied, etc., that have really shaped my path. Not spells/grimoire, but things that made a sense to me at the time about the other worlds, divinities, communications, stories... things that made me think and I wanted to revisit, ponderings I've had, etc., and I would be highly upset to lose those, lol. I refer to these binders on a regular basis. Sometimes they remind me of something I need to remember, sometimes they show me changes and different directions my path has taken. But they really are priceless to me.

M

AW, you said you have a art studio what kind of art do you do? I love art would love to see some of your art! I have an actual grimoire that was passed down to me from my grandmother right before she died. She made it when she was very young so it's pretty brittle she passed at the age of 92. I don't really use it that much because when I touch it her energy is infused in it and I get very emotional I miss her dearly.

Sign in to follow this