151 replies to this topic

#121 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

To me tools can be everything, really. My collection of what I consider tools is in a constant state of flux, things come, things go.

Among the constants are the things that have a personal connection with my ancestors, such as a silver spoon once owned by my grandfather (neat detail, it has his initials engraved in it), a leather pouch containing earth from my mother's grave, a colander that once belonged to my grandmother, etc.

Then there are items I either bought, found, or received as a gift. What I use at any given time is up to the vibe of the moment, and the significance of the turn of events leading up to the moment of performing a ritual act. I don't have any special altar, not in my home, nor in my garden or any place else outside. I consider my home to BE my altar, it is crammed with things that are of special significance to me, and when working indoors, the actual place to do it is determined because I feel that place is appropriate. Could be any table, the kitchen work top, a window-sill, somewhere on the floor, etc. I use candles a lot, and every candle holder I use has a story, whether they are ordinary things or antiques or great finds from a thrift shop or flea market. Among my favourite tools are my drinking horn, some vases, a walking stick, a fossil, some pieces of amber, a silver cup, bowls and serving trays, lamps, statues, brass table bells, etc.

When outside, I go to a place in my direct surroundings, a place I have a connection with, then that is my altar, or rather working area. I'm a city guy, and currently a bridge two blocks from my home is my favourite working area, it is of specific significance to me for many reasons. First, I have to cross it to reach the home of the woman I love, the water it bridges is the boundary to cross to get to her. Second, the area is inhabited by a flock of geese I feed on a daily basis. I love those birds and feel a deep connection with them, while they in their turn probably see me primarily as a source of food LOL. Feeding the local birds is a tool to me, a habit to enjoy and bond with the land I inhabit. Third, the bridge and its surroundings are like the green lung of my neighbourhood, lots of trees, and although the water is a manmade canal it has over the years it existed grown into a powerful spirit. I don't need lonely quiet places to get things done, this is where I live so here I do my things, even in broad daylight with lots of locals passing by, they haven't got a clue as to what I'm doing so nobody's going to notice anything freaky LOL. 

I don't own any wands, a stang, ritual knife, etc. I prefer to use the things I feel a mutual connection with, objects I stumble onto or that seem to simply present themselves. And if finding myself without my trusted and beloved tools, there are always the tools that are suddenly just there when the need arises.

Guess my laptop, MP3 player and stereo are among my tools as well, I tend to use music a lot, to create an atmosphere, or to attach a certain vibe to certain objects, or to "dance" to specific music that I consider essential to the chain of events that culminate into the ultimate ritual working.

Edited by Horne, 30 October 2014 - 04:57 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#122 Barnstock

Barnstock

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

I know this thread is a bit old, but it was some very interesting reading. As for myself, tools can be anything from a pen and scrap of paper to coins, string, sticks and so on, but when it comes to "proper tools", meaning the ones I regularly use for magic, I do have a few: My knife, which belonged to my grandmother; my mortar and pestle; and my cauldron, which I originally bought just to burn things in, but have since been taught in a dream by one of my guides that it is a tool of transformation, and have been using it quite a bit lately. It's one of those small cast iron ones with the triple moon symbol cast into the side, but lately I've been eying my wok for a similar purpose on a larger scale.

I also use candles, mainly because I like them and the way they interact with the atmosphere, as well as mixing and burning herbs. I have a stang that I made from hawthorne, but I haven't really used it yet. It stands in the corner of my living room and seems happy there, maybe that's all it'll ever do...

I also have a sample pack of hemp paper that I got years ago. The paper is great, very sturdy and good for charms and the occasional himmelsbrief. It also burns in a nice way, slow and steady with a low flame.

#123 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have tools that have been with me for ages. I also think that tools are just... tools. I always think that passion is for the witch what structure is for the magician, so that I choose the tools according to the intent. However, there are a few things that I've worked with regularly, and work with these things is just so much more powerful and goes much more smoothly.

The things which I've been using for years are:

- Blades. Of every kind. One year ago I fell in love with this dagger at a flea market, and since then it has been appointed official ritual knife. To be honest, it is too big to cut anything besides herbs comfortably, but it is very pointy and sharp, and a bit rusty. I use it to cut big chunks of things, or to attack. Sometimes it just gives me some more authoriti. I have been using all sort of kitchen knives for all sort of things, but with time I have colelcted three prtable knives (opinel ones, if anyone wonders) that are really handy. I take them with me when I travel light, when I need to grave things, when I need to cut cords and other materials. I've also always had a jar with iron nails and needles, they're useful for all sort of things.

- There is a wand that I made myself and that I keep very dear. It is oak, and with time it has become full of engravings.

- Beeswax candles, red, 'neutral', or black are the only candles that I use if possible. For years I've been moving around, and unable to make beeswax candles (buying them is just too expensive), and was forced to work with paraffin candles. I hate them, I don't like the way they smell and I don't like the way they burn.

- Salt, oil and water are present in almost all my workings. They are the first things, together with candles, that I started using. With time, they have become the basic things that I bring at the ritual.

- Ink and paper.

Then there are a lot of other things that I use, many of which can be found in my kitchen or garage. I use bowls for containing and burning things of very different sizes. Cords, needles and strings of various colors.

Good idea to revive this topic :)

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#124 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'm not a "stuff" person at all- a bit on the anti-materialism side, if anything- but OH how I love mundane tools!  My well-stocked art studio reeks of my attachment and affection for the things I use to create.  Same goes for my kitchen: loads of special tools and gadgets, every one of them held in high esteem.  So, naturally, I assumed when I began practicing witchcraft that I would develop the same kind of relationship with ALL the things I would utilize in Casting.

Quite the opposite happened.  I've made several wands from driftwood, but never used them.  I want a special knife, but not badly enough to immediately make one or commission one to be made for me.  I've bought a few things from rummage sales and thrift shops, but they hold no more significance to me than similar baubles used for mundane activities.  Although I've long harbored a desire to create a "real" grimoire, the motivation/drive to do so just isn't there, so I make do with spiral-bound notebooks (none of which I'm particularly attached to).

That being said, there are a few things that would inspire sadness if they went missing:

- Dutch oven (my "stovetop cauldron", heh heh).  I've had it for over six years, intentionally imbuing it even before I got on my Path.  As much as I love using herbs for healing, nothing is half as powerful as my ability to produce healing food in that pot.  :)

- Homemade sea salt.  I did a post of my process here:  http://www.tradition...-make-sea-salt/

- Hagstone.  I have one that my partner found when we were beachcombing together.  It's my favorite scrying tool.

- Herbs that I've grown or foraged.  I find store-bought herbs to be very, very difficult to connect with for magical purposes (although they do still have medicinal benefits to me).

- Porcupine quill.  It's one of those huge quills from an African crested porcupine, and the only thing I've used for drawing blood for spellwork.

- Feathers.  I have specific ones that are used for explicit purposes, i.e.: the eagle feather is used for fanning smoke from smudging, the crow feather (with a bit of blood still one it) will be attached to my still-incomplete stave, an owl feather is the base for my writing quill.  

#125 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

Although I've long harbored a desire to create a "real" grimoire, the motivation/drive to do so just isn't there, so I make do with spiral-bound notebooks (none of which I'm particularly attached to).

I wonder who does have a 'real grimoire' these days. I personally have files of papers in folders and boxes.

I would 'organize' my materials in one coherent only only if I were teaching - and even then, I do not know how much more useful than A4 sheets would a 'real' grimoire be.

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#126 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm a book lover, and although I mostly use my Kindle now due to space (or lack thereof, lol) I have binders and binders and binders of things I have written down, copied, etc., that have really shaped my path. Not spells/grimoire, but things that made a sense to me at the time about the other worlds, divinities, communications, stories... things that made me think and I wanted to revisit, ponderings I've had, etc., and I would be highly upset to lose those, lol. I refer to these binders on a regular basis. Sometimes they remind me of something I need to remember, sometimes they show me changes and different directions my path has taken. But they really are priceless to me.

M

#127 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

AW, you said you have a art studio what kind of art do you do? I love art would love to see some of your art! I have an actual grimoire that was passed down to me from my grandmother right before she died. She made it when she was very young so it's pretty brittle she passed at the age of 92. I don't really use it that much because when I touch it her energy is infused in it and I get very emotional I miss her dearly.

#128 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Over the years, I'm sure I have acquired at least two of everything Wiccan-recommended. I never used 'em and donated just about all of it (chalices, cauldrons, bundles of incense, beads & a whole lot of books, and did an herb compost) a couple years ago when I downsized at retirement.

The way i work has completely changed over the years and become more authentic. I kept the stang, wand and pentagram I made, my athame and a pint size cauldron. I actually use them. My go-to stone for stroking is a found chunk of red jasper. I love quartz crystals and orgone accumulators. While I have a mortar & pestle, I have arthritis, so I use a coffee grinder for hard seeds and bark, then transfer to M&P for hands-on.

Edit - my replaceable supplies are assorted candles, whatever is growing in my yard, a spool of red cord, frank-and-myrrh oil. Bach's Rescue Remedy and comfrey tincture. These are all I actually use.

Most useless item: engraved, silver chalice...(eye roll)

Edited by Zombee, 27 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#129 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:15 AM

Oh books! Yeah, they take up a lot of space, don't they? No matter how often i cull the herd, they keep breeding. I keep a spiral notebook and pen next to my favorite chair, and I have stored a box full of spiral notebooks of ideas pertaining to this path. Writing something down is like writing it on the mind, as my 7th grade English teacher used to say. She encouraged journaling. :-)

Edited by Zombee, 11 December 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#130 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Most of my spells have been the spontaneous visualization with intent sort, so I haven't done a lot of work with tools. Of the tools I do own most have found me. The claw of a grizzly bear, assorted shells, rocks and feathers. Dried flowers and herbs. My favorite though is my hawk feather and sage. I worked in a health food store and helped a Native American woman named Sweet Water find products to help with her issues. She gave the feather and sage to me as a thank you. And then I use paper and pens and candles.

#131 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

Most of my spells have been the spontaneous visualization with intent sort, so I haven't done a lot of work with tools. Of the tools I do own most have found me. The claw of a grizzly bear, assorted shells, rocks and feathers. Dried flowers and herbs. My favorite though is my hawk feather and sage. I worked in a health food store and helped a Native American woman named Sweet Water find products to help with her issues. She gave the feather and sage to me as a thank you. And then I use paper and pens and candles.

-----------

If I had found or been found by the claw of a grizzly bear I would wear that thing as a pendant every day of life - I am dead serious.  That's an awesome power/ protection amulet right there.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#132 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:06 AM

-----------
If I had found or been found by the claw of a grizzly bear I would wear that thing as a pendant every day of life - I am dead serious. That's an awesome power/ protection amulet right there.

Have you seen "The Revenant" by any chance? 😵 :blink:

Edited by IslandBruja, 11 December 2016 - 06:08 AM.

#133 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

I have few tools beyond candles and incense, both of which I am hoping to learn to make myself once I find the time. There's a Santeria leaning shop around the corner from my house that offers individual classes on learning how to make incense and I hope to finally take one before Spring. I do have a couple of oils that I've blended together but they don't see much use. I've been trying to incorporate tarot into my spells but I haven't really done a whole lot of spellwork lately anyway, beyond an occasional sigil here or there. I bought a crystal ball which has made itself significant to me in a number of ways, scrying being only one of them.

I have a branch that I found that would make a perfect wand, but I have only had use for it once or twice. I have three chalices that I use for libations for my ancestors periodically that I found at a thrift store. I used to have a python and I kept all of her sheds but I haven't yet needed them beyond a reminder of her. I do a little kitchen magic and a lot of meditational and trance work rather than organized ritual...I only tend to do something ritualistic if I'm working protection magic or attempting to reach a spirit. I probably should do more of both...

#134 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

I'm actually going to bugger about with tools for once.  I have a friend sending me a forked elder cutting and a large piece of graveyard yew.  Bark from the yew as well, if it's doable.  I've always viewed tools as something to avoid, but perhaps they can enhance my practice.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#135 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

@ Ororobos-That is a great idea! I've been dreaming about grizzly bears and cubs lately and trying to decifer the message. Maybe that's it.

@ IslandBruja-I have not seen the Remenant. Should I? Now I'm curious!

#136 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:43 PM

@ Ororobos-That is a great idea! I've been dreaming about grizzly bears and cubs lately and trying to decifer the message. Maybe that's it.
@ IslandBruja-I have not seen the Remenant. Should I? Now I'm curious!

Well that depends. It's about frontiersmen (the main character is based on a real life person) and pulls no punches about the life they led in relation to nature and the Native Americans, so some scenes are very brutal.

But it famously features a grizzly and the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. Honestly, it looks like one moving Caspar David Friedrich painting after another (I am convinced the director and cinematographer MUST be huge fans of his work. There's no way they're not and still made that film).

Anyway, for anyone who's seen the film, you know this isn't really a thread derailment but I don't want to spoil the film for anyone who HASN'T seen it so I'm being intentionally vague. (oh and Tom Hardy in all his acting supremacy is in it - bonus :) )

Edited by IslandBruja, 13 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#137 Nim

Nim

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

IB, that movie was amazing and disturbing! So good.

I mostly rely on herbs and spices in my work. I do often use candles and frequently use incense. The herbal work has long been my go-to, though I would like to expand my skillset to not have to include those things, mostly because I have NO money at all and cannot afford to be restocking beyond cooking for my family. I know they are not necessary to the work I do...it's just what I am most familiar with. Time to stretch, I think.

#138 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

I have some lightning-struck wood that I keep around and a few quartz crystals I keep charged, but generally I stick with embroidery thread. Braiding it together to make a bracelet or anklet is a great way for me to focus on bringing different energies together to harmonize into a spell, and if I ever need a talisman to take with me for protection or luck, I can just charge one overnight in my crystal box and wear it the next day! I also use my tarot cards to physically mark spaces if I ever need to clear an area of absolutely every energy I can for a working; they're always happy to help out with anything I ask of them! I'm adding another deck to my growing collection of divining tools soon, and I can't wait to see what its nuances will be for me.

#139 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

Tools that I use include: 

Books- my guide for most things

My notes

Cauldron- How else could I do some magical things

Mental focus- I don't yet have a wand, so I have to focus very hard on what I am doing. I am going to be getting a wand with cetrizine and green aventurine stones here soon, though. 

My familiar- my cat is definitely a great help to me. She aids in keeping me grounded. 

Herbs- I love herbology. I've been finding great use of different herbs in aiding me with anxiety, instead of medications that have been too strong for me. 

My medallion of Freya- I only just received her, but I feel so much different since consesecrating the medallion and have been wearing it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#140 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

Candles, blood, urine, hair, finger nails, bones, a few herbs, spices, resins, iron, camphor, sulphur, egg shell, tin foil, mirror, paper, pen, alcohol (no I'm not drinking it, lol), saliva, water, sand, rocks, feathers, spike of wood for carving into candles, nails, rope, string, oils, tinctures, lightning struck wood, photos, Tarot Cards, bottles, jars, bowls, boxes, hurricane jar, candle holders, tape, mortar and pestle, thorns, ammonia, vinegar, sugar, some fruits (not for eating), special area with storage and tables to do my workings, hand gestures, oil burner, and my intent. I think that about covers it.