• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#101 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:52 AM

I would say my 'tools' that I use the most, such as they are, would be candles and herbs. I have the obligatory wand/athame etc but I never use them. They were handcrafted/hand decorated so I keep them on my altar for aesthetic purposes and because I'm proud of them......but I digress, my predominant tools of choice are herbs and candles.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#102 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

I have the obligatory wand/athame etc but I never use them.

Obligatory? By who's standards? If you never use them as they were originally intended, then why not re-purpose them? You could, for example, start using the athame to open letters or cut cheese.
:-P

#103 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

I once read that the more one uses their blade in "mundane life" (for those who work with a blade) and it proves itself a worthy tool, the more one will "trust" it in magical uses. Made sense to me. I find that when I get tools it takes me a while to "feel at home" with them and get a relationship going (kind of like meeting a new friend - it takes a while to get to know each other) and I will often use them mundanely for a while or just have them sitting about near me so we can get to know each other. For me my tools have their own "spirit" or spirit/energy/sprowl, etc., residing within them as a fetish object so they may not all get along with me and vice versa, it takes time to see if we "mesh." My staffs and stang I often take walking with me or working out in my yard so they get a feel for me and my house for I find it very necessary that any tool I have understand my house, the spirits which reside therein, my garden, and me. So yes, I've used my blade for mundane things including prying old wax off the table top, lol... never have yet cut cheese with it though ;-) but it's not a bad idea - I love cheese and my jalapenos are harvested and it's time to make some poppers (yum yum)!

I once went through a "use as few tools as possible" stage (and nothing wrong with not using tools for those that don't like them) but I find I have developed a deep bond with many of my tools and although they are all replaceable if I had to dash out of a burning house (there was a thred about that some time ago), I really would miss them all for they are a part of my home I am very much a homebody. My little corn-husk house ward/witch... she talks to me and works with me and yes I could make another, but I'd really miss her. I did my little weekly ritual-thing last night to check in with her and my dead and my spirits and I left her wine as usual and she just wasn't responding. I didn't think much about it, but then right when I was falling asleep I got a craving for a cuppa and had a sudden flash-picture in my mind of this very old (like from when I was 6 and we're not going into how long ago THAT was, lol), china tea-set I had. So this morning I dug about in the shed and sure enough there it was, all wrapped up in tissue in a very disintegrated and bug-eaten old shoe box from Sears. So a few minutes ago I was washing the old miniture tea-set all out with hot soapy water and I could just feel her sighing in anticipation of a nice cuppa in front of the fire, lol. I would miss her dearly.

M

#104 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

P.S. Here she is, back in her place and fully adorned with the things she uses (and her cuppa!)after the disruption of painting and home decor (different thread, lol):

Attached Files

#105 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

P.S. Here she is, back in her place and fully adorned with the things she uses (and her cuppa!)after the disruption of painting and home decor (different thread, lol):

I love her! and I am sure she would appreciate a biccy too lol!, :chakrahearts:

#106 Calliope

Calliope

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:31 AM

I too will use whatever is at hand, however, some objects, which I feel immediately drawn to, I will put away and forget about so that they will be more powerful to me when I need them. I do have a couple of things that I have been using for a while that seem to have become more powerful through use, but in most cases, I have a habit of "using up" whatever it is about the tool that is of benefit to me. For this reason, I try not to spend lots of money on tools.

Tools which have become more powerful through use:
- A rock that was brought to me one year ago by a man I love. It is mostly rose quartz and pyrite, but has many other mineral and metallic traces in there too
- My take on a "sweeten up" bottle/drip candle/huge mass of multi-colored wax - a type of southern US folk magic (I am from the deep South) with the aforementioned man's name and my name twined together on red paper, suspended in a bottle in a solution of local honey, chocolate, cane sugar, and a little bit of my own spit. I started this love spell last Halloween.
- Certain pieces of jewelry, shells, and crystals. I have always been drawn to jewelry, beads and crystals. My grandmother was always giving me costume and semiprecious jewelry and teaching me about different stones. I have amassed quite a collection, but only a few pieces have retained their power

Tools which I have worn through quickly:
-certain boxes
- scarves and altar clothes
- clothes that I wear for spellwork
- statuary for focus
- certain herbs (basil in particular, which is a shame. I used to find it very useful)
-random little things on my "altars" that I may draw power from one day, but not the next.
-Most of my jewelry. I have to be careful with jewelry... If I keep it hidden, it retains its power, but If I leave it out, it catches my attention to the point of me draining it when I don't need to.

I work most heavily with dream magic though, which requires no tools other than myself, maybe some coconut incense, and a comfy place to sleep!

#107 Ledel

Ledel

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

I really like to use candles, alot. I also have alot of jewelry that is special to me that I wear. I wish I could use incense but I am sensitive to smells and get migraines from strong smells. I normally have to use scentless candles too. :( I want to get into using herbs. And I love Tarot and Runes.
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it. ~ William Arthur Ward

#108 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

What tools do use in your crafting.? The best an most effective an also the most useless you've used.

:vhappywitch:

My tarot decks are my most used tools, followed by candles, herbs/resins/oils, charcoal disks and matches. :)

Most useless thing I've ever bought...some crappy spell books I got in a cheapo book store when I was first starting out. Truly. Awful. I gave them to a charity shop. Oh! And a set of runes I got at a car boot sale for £1. Seldom use them... they came with a dreadful book by Ralph Blum, who basically made up his own meaning of the runes without doing any research. I threw that book in the bin rather than charity shop it. Why spread misinformation?

#109 majoupyon

majoupyon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

What tools do use in your crafting.? The best an most effective an also the most useless you've used.

I swear by my Wands= willow, hollowed out, containing Quartz, sage, sunflower an blood, also I have a crystal one I use for Divining in particular finding lost things.

I also find candles indespensible for all sorts of things, spell work , meditation as an accompanment during scrying. Of course my Scrying mirror.

Collection of herbs an resins for insense an other stuff, better include my herb books.

My Bath for meditation, ritual cleansing.

Also my garden a great source of leaves, plants an things I use. Also use a Heptagram pendant for protection an general well being.

Most useless stuff I have.
Large Crystal wand....absolutley dead!!!!!!!,
Crystal ball.....just dont get anything out of, maybe me, we just dont get on LOL.
Tarot cards...these I cannot touch, give me the creeps.
Most of the books I seem to have collected.
:vhappywitch:

I mostly use myself and whatever I have on hand.
Although, when doing a ritual I will use herbs and resins to cook up incenses and whatnot. Paper and pens. Tarot cards. Books are also something I couldn't get by without.

For some reason anything more ritualistic that the basic set up distracts and confuses me :(

Candles and essential oils are also a must have.

:flyaway:

#110 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

I use my mind, my candles, herbs, fire, sticks, rocks, water, the wind and dirt. Occasionally tarot cards or runes I have a wand, a walking stick made by my husband but they sit on my alter mostly as decorative items. My calderons and fire pit get lots of wear but that about does it for me when it comes to casting and the use of tools. Never owned an anthem, never felt the use for them. Any blades, knives that I use I also use in my kitchen, as there is lots of magical workings that are done in there.Posted Image
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#111 Mermaidfire

Mermaidfire

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

I use my mind, my candles, herbs, fire, sticks, rocks, water, the wind and dirt. Occasionally tarot cards or runes I have a wand, a walking stick made by my husband but they sit on my alter mostly as decorative items. My calderons and fire pit get lots of wear but that about does it for me when it comes to casting and the use of tools. Never owned an anthem, never felt the use for them. Any blades, knives that I use I also use in my kitchen, as there is lots of magical workings that are done in there.Posted Image

I'm pretty much the same-a variety of items from nature. The most elaborate and beautiful witchy things I have are simply crystals. I have several sticks that I always intended to make into wands by perhaps burning runic symbols into them and/or glueing crystal points onto the ends. I also have thought about wrapping the 'handle' with leather or fabric...But for some reason I feel that I like my natural stick wands, taken from willow, walnut, acacia and crepe myrtle, are beautiful as is.

#112 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

I'm pretty much the same-a variety of items from nature. The most elaborate and beautiful witchy things I have are simply crystals. I have several sticks that I always intended to make into wands by perhaps burning runic symbols into them and/or glueing crystal points onto the ends. I also have thought about wrapping the 'handle' with leather or fabric...But for some reason I feel that I like my natural stick wands, taken from willow, walnut, acacia and crepe myrtle, are beautiful as is.

PS, that would be Altar, not alter! A typo I fear I do often :)

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#113 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

I use candles, incense, herbs and stones/crystals...also have used tarot cards in certain workings, fire, my own kind of mojo bags, and metals & precious gems <for use in making jewelry, for a purpose>, paper & ink..even food...at times I'll also use items gifted from nature...have used woodpecker feathers, snake skin...ect.

I do have a few wands that I found in the woods...my favorite find is a maple wand that came from a tree that had been struck by lightning ..also have willow, ash, and alder wands.

Other than that, I do follow the stars and pay attention to the moon phases ect....I do see astrology as a tool, days of the week, seasons...ect

I do not have a set altar...I do not have "altar tools"...I don't feel connected with that idea...I can work in the kitchen, in a part of my home, or outside..I like to move about freely

In the most basic sense, I think I follow my intuition, along with any knowledge I have, and just use what "feels" right for whatever working I am doing...

* most useless is probably my willow wand. Can't seem to connect with it.

~Ruby

Edited by ruby, 31 August 2011 - 06:28 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#114 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:07 PM

I use candles, herbs, incense, oils, pen and paper mostly. Other things i've used off the top of my head are salt, kitchen knife, playing cards, rock with my blood on it, and crushed up egg shells to name a few.

I also try to go by the moon cycle if possible.

#115 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Now I more often find things presenting themselves to me for my workings - old buttons and keys turning up when I know I could use them (in a working) . . .

This is very much the case for me . . . it is either that they turn up when I need them or their appearance prompts me to think of a way that I can use them.

However, I am a total button addict.  I love buttons; big, little, pretty, ugly . . . Oh my!  I have jars full of buttons. 

And keys?  Ooooh, I love, love, love keys. 

These addictions are related to my Empathic ability and my ability to channel emotional and spiritual energy by touch.  Buttons and keys have been repeatedly touched by lots and lots of people, especially if they are old items.  For someone who feeds on emotional energy, playing with a jar of buttons or keys is like a caffeine addict mainlining espresso.

#116 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Mainlining expresso. yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

#117 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

I have a magic button that I've had since childhood :witch_bounce:  I keep it in my change purse.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#118 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

The dagger I once bought as an athame is one of the few things I still use every once in a while. I have used it for cutting and carving in the real world and in magic practices. Of course, at first I didn't use it for anything but magic, but I didn't feel connected to it. Walking circles with a glorified butter knife in my hand just didn't create the kind of connection I was looking for. That's why I started using it for other things as well and that helped a lot. Having a dagger and not using it seemed like a waste of money and space from the beginning, but I was so into brainwashed by the new agey wiccan witchcraft that I just kept doing what they had told me to do. Today, I hardly make use of "the circle" anymore because I feel like I'm wasting energy on something that's just there to make me feel all witchy and mysterious and cool. 
Another tool I use is a cauldron. Mine is made of copper and it's used to collect and keep things in when I'm crafting, and for burning small things. It's rather big and was used both as a hanging plant pot and a sitting (is that the right word?) plant pot. I have felt a connection to that thing since the first time I saw it as a possible cauldron.

Of course I also use candles and incense and I'm looking into making them myself.

Edited by SerpentWitch, 15 March 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#119 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

Jevne, now I want to embroider that bit of doggerel on a sampler. Permit?

Edited by Christine, 16 March 2014 - 01:38 AM.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#120 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

I am not sure what you are referring to . . . but, knock yourself out. <Shrugs>