• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#81 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I use my Tarot decks most often, I also have a brown eyeliner that looks absolutely awful when used for its intended purpose but is good for putting sigils on skin without being glaringly obvious. I tend to collect interesting things I used to find on walks and in gardens, things like dragonfly larvae casings, vertibrate from an unidentified animal and a collection of moths and butterflies found perfectly preserved in the boiler when it was being serviced.

I like working with herbs, but that's more for their mundane properties than any spiritual attachment, I haven't really explored that avenue with them yet. Candles I sometimes use to represent people or spirits, especially in rituals to the dead. I've worked with poppets and effigies which sometimes are simply most effective when the recipient knows that one of them exists!

I have a collection of small tumbled crystals that I attach sensations to (Yes I know, sounds ridiculous) sometimes the feel of a stone will remind me of something or the way it looks, or the colour will remind me or a particular mood. If I then have to go do something particularly stressful I'll put a couple in a little bag in my pocket to take with me, a bit like lucky charms I guess but each one with a particlar focus (I had one for hand-eye co-ordination at one point! and a fossil to help with memory) I rarely use them but it's handy for times of stress that I can grab a handful of shiny rocks and worst case scenario I have something nice to look at ;)

Runes I think I'm in the same boat as Jevne, they don't call to me, perhaps interesting, but otherwise I don't feel any affinity for them, apparently I should give ogham a shot though which interests me a lot more being from the same island but will have to see when I have a set and means of learning them.

I seem to work best with wood and bone, wands I have an odd relationship with. I guess technically I use sticks. I prefer pure wood wands, that feel warm and good in hand. I do not like it with feathers, string and crystals bored into it, it just feels dead to me then. Found a place I considered getting a wand/stick from but they had a policy of making a hole in each one so you could wear it as a necklace... I had to pause at that and read back, yep, they were making wands between eight and twenty inches... to be worn as necklaces.

#82 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

I use my Tarot decks most often, I also have a brown eyeliner that looks absolutely awful when used for its intended purpose but is good for putting sigils on skin without being glaringly obvious....

Runes I think I'm in the same boat as Jevne, they don't call to me, perhaps interesting, but otherwise I don't feel any affinity for them, apparently I should give ogham a shot though which interests me a lot more being from the same island but will have to see when I have a set and means of learning them...

That's funny - I have often used lipstick and/or eye-brown pencil to put sigils on a mirror I have used in a ritual. Writes easilya nd washes off easily.

The oghams I actually made a set once but didn't get on well with it. Runes I have not explored but lately some ideas are formulating regarding same and I may start mucking about and see if anything interesting pops up... I believe that ultimately runes are much more than a simple divination device, although many use them to devine with.

M

#83 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

I bought a knife to use about 3 years ago and never did. Lately, I have been drwn to it. I've polished the blade and have been putting my energy into it. I'm finding I'm really attracted to this knife in a strange way. It needs sharpening beyond what I can do, though. It definitely feels 'right' in my hands.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#84 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

I seem to work best with wood and bone, wands I have an odd relationship with. I guess technically I use sticks. I prefer pure wood wands, that feel warm and good in hand. I do not like it with feathers, string and crystals bored into it, it just feels dead to me then. Found a place I considered getting a wand/stick from but they had a policy of making a hole in each one so you could wear it as a necklace... I had to pause at that and read back, yep, they were making wands between eight and twenty inches... to be worn as necklaces.

To me, dressing up a wand in that fashion is akin to putting ribbons on a hammer or screwdriver. Wands are tools, not decorations. Necklaces? Serious?

#85 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:03 AM

... I had to pause at that and read back, yep, they were making wands between eight and twenty inches... to be worn as necklaces.

Interesting visual... so someone's wearing this necklace and trips, goes down face first and gets about 20 inches of wand stuck down their throat... bit like running with scissors...

M

#86 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

I started feeding the local birds about a week ago, mostly ravens. today, I went outside my door and found a gift, a beautiful wand. Just had to clear some small twigs off the end and it's almost perfectly straight. My door is actually one floor up as the house is built above the garage (populat here due to flooding). There is a native tree right next to the railing the birds like to sit in and srudy me. I'm grateful for the gift :)
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#87 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Interesting visual... so someone's wearing this necklace and trips, goes down face first and gets about 20 inches of wand stuck down their throat... bit like running with scissors...

M

Ha!

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#88 RavenLB

RavenLB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

I like wands, too, RavenLB; however, I don't make them or have them made. I choose wands for purpose, not decoration, so it doesn't matter to me if they are pretty. Some do have a certain natural beauty, though. My wands come directly from nature.

Well, mine are for a purpose as well, and not decoration.....but I do consider them sacred objects, and not just any old stick. I'm not one of the "oh, just throw your tools in the woodshed when you're done with them" crowd. Most of mine have some of the bark still on them, and are coated with a mixture of beeswax and essential oils to protect the wood. A few have been debarked and shaped, or woodburned with magical symbols and sigils that mean something to me, or the magic I am working. A couple have crystals. I try to use things that I COULD make on my own, if I had to, so I don't use anything with artificial varnish. The main thing to me is that their virtue line up with what I'm trying to accomplish, and I also find that using local woods works best.

#89 RavenLB

RavenLB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

I think I know who you're talking about, as I have used them before, but you have them a bit wrong. If it's the same place (I don't think we're allowed to post links or I would) their wands DO have a cord through them, but it's not so you can "wear them as a necklace." Indeed, the cords are only about 6-8 inches long, so not sure where you'd get that idea. Instead, the cords can be used to either hang the wand up, or as a kind of wrist strap, like you'd find on a hiking stick. Their wands are actually really good, are wildcrafted, and are made from traditional woods like Hazel, Blackthorn, and Rowan (no Harry Potter lathe-turned wands here.) I've got a few from them, and the Welsh lady who makes them (even the cords are hand-woven) has been incredibly nice and helpful, going out of her way to put some customizations on my order to bring them in line with my specific tradition.

I went back and edited my reply, because my first one sounded a bit too grumpy, but I did want to point out that this place definitely doesn't deserve mockery, and wouldn't do anything so absurd as to make a 20 inch wand into a "necklace." I don't usually order stuff from "witch shops" because they're often mass-produced, tacky items, but this is one place I'm really happy with and recommend without hesitation to my magical friends and covenmates.

Edited by RavenLB, 20 June 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#90 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

I use a variety of tools. I'm absolutely mad about wood and trees, so I use a number of different wands.......depending on the goal I'm trying to manifest. Hazel, Rowan, Blackthorn, and Hawthorn are some favourites to work with. I've got a friend who makes them, so she's made most of mine. I also use a lot of mini coloured candles (for my Hoodoo-flavoured workings) and some larger, pure beeswax candles for light and spellwork. Crystals and stones are also in common use in my magic. Finally, I've got quite a lot of essential oils and herbs, which I use both medicinally, and for spellwork and incense. I'm really big into traditional folk magic, and try to follow as best I can the time-tested spells of yesterday, so I've got a lot of odds and ends floating about here. In my closet, I've got both an old-fashioned broomstick, and an Oak staff, but I rarely use either.....

I myself have a love for traditional folk Magic, especially that of the African Diaspora. As for my tools, we dont use wands, but we do use lots of other tools and materials. I have way to many to list, but some include Alligator heads, Chicken feet, Alligator Jaw Knife, Turkey Wing, Black hen feathers, various bones from different animals, LOTS of Herbs, powders, oils, various waters, roots, AND WAY TO MANY CURIOS to list. This is just scratching the surface in the things that can me used as tools and materials.

#91 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

On a daily basis I use....nothing. It's me and my mind. I've spent the last few years honing my mental skills, as I discovered a newfound ability for telepathy, so I decided it was time to explore what exactly my abilities and limits are.

If I'm doing something really difficult, or having trouble maintaining visualizations, I do have a lovely altar I almost never use. In a pinch I'll use it, but it usually stays up on the wall. I find the most startling workings I've done recently have been done while I was making a pot of coffee, or something similar hahahahahaha. I have come to love spontaneity.

Alternately, once in a blue moon I'll bust out a kitchen knife and herbs, cords, et al. But very, very rarely; it's years really since I can recall doing a formal working. Sorry to babble, but it did I think, deserve a little explanation.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#92 Evy

Evy

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

I like using knives, herbs, incense, oils and anything that I feel possesses the energy I need depending on the intention it will be used. Tarot or my own dreams aide in divination tools. I have little objects or trinkets that I feel hold energy in various places around my home. Visualization and meditation I suppose could also be considered tools. I think my supply list is unlimited including the most important of all tools, my mind, intention and will to do.
"...nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose..."

~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

#93 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

I think I know who you're talking about, as I have used them before, but you have them a bit wrong. If it's the same place (I don't think we're allowed to post links or I would) their wands DO have a cord through them, but it's not so you can "wear them as a necklace." Indeed, the cords are only about 6-8 inches long, so not sure where you'd get that idea. Instead, the cords can be used to either hang the wand up, or as a kind of wrist strap, like you'd find on a hiking stick. Their wands are actually really good, are wildcrafted, and are made from traditional woods like Hazel, Blackthorn, and Rowan (no Harry Potter lathe-turned wands here.) I've got a few from them, and the Welsh lady who makes them (even the cords are hand-woven) has been incredibly nice and helpful, going out of her way to put some customizations on my order to bring them in line with my specific tradition.

I went back and edited my reply, because my first one sounded a bit too grumpy, but I did want to point out that this place definitely doesn't deserve mockery, and wouldn't do anything so absurd as to make a 20 inch wand into a "necklace." I don't usually order stuff from "witch shops" because they're often mass-produced, tacky items, but this is one place I'm really happy with and recommend without hesitation to my magical friends and covenmates.

No, I know the shop you're talking about as well but I literally know a place that put cords and strings on for the purpose of necklace wearing, it's a separate thing entirely. The place you're talking about I was considering using but half of them said they had straps and the other half didn't, yet their FAQ said they're all bored for cords which diminshed my interest.

#94 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

I myself have a love for traditional folk Magic, especially that of the African Diaspora. As for my tools, we dont use wands, but we do use lots of other tools and materials. I have way to many to list, but some include Alligator heads, Chicken feet, Alligator Jaw Knife, Turkey Wing, Black hen feathers, various bones from different animals, LOTS of Herbs, powders, oils, various waters, roots, AND WAY TO MANY CURIOS to list. This is just scratching the surface in the things that can me used as tools and materials.

While I do not practice Hoodoo, ZenDraegan, I am curious about the alligator heads. I have a couple which were passed on to me from a long since passed relative. Just wondering how they are incorporated, in general. I also possess a rather large collection of curios, which is a great word by the way. I'm wondering if my use is different than your use.

Jevne

#95 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:56 PM

It depends on what I am doing, but here a few things. Coyote bones tied with hemp cord in an "X", a snake vertebrae necklace, an elongated oval wooden bowl for mixing ingredients for mojo bags. A red slab of iron ore (represents female energy of iron), small iron cauldron and smaller insert that was used for smelting lead originally. A 24" Bamilake tribe chief's pipe, smoked to ward off curses, made of palm wood, wrapped in monitor lizard skin, and with hand forged bronze antelopes, buffalo, and a vulture (all animals with specific magic qualities). I have a hand carved gye nyame bench (gee nya may: I fear none but God). I have a pombo, which means "deceased" and is around 800 years old. The pombo contains a spirit that works for me...and it works. All three of those African pieces are from West Africa. An iron caldron that can be hung in a fireplace or iron tripod over an open fire. Large iron charged skeleton key. Knives, nails, needles. Machetes. Various candles including votives, sticks, and 7 day. Wax seal candles, like those used to seal an envelope with a stamp. Various roots, herbs, and resin incense. Wanga, called pwen in Creole...magic objects...mojo bags, witch bottles, anointing protective oil I blended and put in an antique bottle that reads, "Known to kill 100 worms" (obviously used to keep unwanted bad spirits away). Various animal skulls and parts, including dried bat, wasps, etc... The list goes on, but that should give you some idea.

#96 RavenLB

RavenLB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

No, I know the shop you're talking about as well but I literally know a place that put cords and strings on for the purpose of necklace wearing, it's a separate thing entirely. The place you're talking about I was considering using but half of them said they had straps and the other half didn't, yet their FAQ said they're all bored for cords which diminshed my interest.

Ahh, my bad. Sorry if I sounded a little bitchy in the other one, it's just that that one lady's been really nice to me and I was afraid she was being unjustly attacked. You know, if you like her work, you can e-mail her and specifically request something made that's not bored for cords; she's done several custom pieces for me that I've been really happy with, and I am sure she'd be more than pleased to make something for your specifications. It's rare to find craftspeople who are as dedicated to making their customers happy.

I'm also really jealous of her working environment; she sent me a picture of the beautiful caves and glens and wells that surrounds her home; for somebody in roasting hot, arid Texas, it looked heavenly! We're having a very hot, dry summer and my poor garden is starting to wither, no matter how much I water it.

#97 RavenLB

RavenLB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

Ah ha, sounds like good old Southern American conjure, am I right? I've got quite an interest in it, but being a non-Christian, don't really feel comfortable practicing it in the traditional manner. Still, I've incorporated some of the techniques (candle-burning, powders, etc) into my own practice, and have had quite good results.

#98 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

While I do not practice Hoodoo, ZenDraegan, I am curious about the alligator heads. I have a couple which were passed on to me from a long since passed relative. Just wondering how they are incorporated, in general. I also possess a rather large collection of curios, which is a great word by the way. I'm wondering if my use is different than your use.

Jevne

Hi Jevne,

As for the alligator heads, there are many uses for them. The most common is its use as a "gad" (guard in Gullah) for protection, Just as one would wear a gator tooth necklace for personal protection, or adding teeth to a protection hand. It is commonly placed above the door or on a table next to the doorway in homes and businesses, or even on a table where one will place their wallet or money inside to keep it protected from being stolen. The difference is that A gator head has eyes and sees all. Add that together will a full mouth of teeth and you have quite a protective curio (derived from curiosity). There are many ways to give the head life, but this is not something I am going to discuss in public.

What other curios do you possess?

#99 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Ah ha, sounds like good old Southern American conjure, am I right? I've got quite an interest in it, but being a non-Christian, don't really feel comfortable practicing it in the traditional manner. Still, I've incorporated some of the techniques (candle-burning, powders, etc) into my own practice, and have had quite good results.

You pinned the tail on the donkey! I am a Southern Rootworker and some even say a Rootdoctor. Yes, I myself an a traditionalist, however, there are modern versions of Hoodoo that are not dominated my the Christian influence. Blacksmith, here on the forum, is a great resource for the non Christian aspect. Are you aware that traditional southern hoodoo actually did not utilize candles or oils? This was a practice learned and incorporated much later and further north from what I was taught. Do realize that even though it is not a common practice for traditionalists to work with saints, we do at times due to what they symbolize. For instance, St Michael is worked with to rid one of Chaos as He is known for slaying the Serpent of Chaos! Its the imagery that we utilize. The Bible, to many traditional Hoodoo, is known as the Greatest book of conjure ever. I can write a HUGE post on this! Some non Christians still use the bible as a conjure book only. So don't let the term "Christian" limit you!

#100 Night_Hawk

Night_Hawk

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

I don't use to many tools. I made a beautiful wand out of a piece of river drift wood. I sat by the river and carved it up, decorated it with some hemp and beads. I could feel the power of the river running thru it. Then... I have never used it. I just can't get into using a wand at all. Oh well, it looks very nice sitting on my shelf.

My favorite tools are Fire, Water or Stones - especially Runes. But for me the water has to be from a stream, river, lake, ocean or rain - never from the tap.
:vhappywitch:

Hold on to what is good, Even if it's a handful of earth..... Hold on to what you believe, Even if it's a tree that stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do, Even if it's a long way from here..... Hold on to your life, Even if it's easier to let go.
Hold on to my hand, Even if someday I'll be gone away from you.
~ a Pueblo Indian Prayer