• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#61 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

and its very pretty too. good luck when you try it out!

just wanted to ask - is the pestle wooden?

Yes, it's wooden. I'll have to be careful about cleaning it well and limiting it's use to things that are not ingested.

#62 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

limiting it's use to things that are not ingested.

how come?

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#63 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

how come?

Because wood absorbs the oils from plants being worked on. Therefore, if you're working with a poisonous plant (or something just harmful-to-you, like something you're allergic to), you don't want to use that same pestle on something you're planning on ingesting - the wood will transfer oils from one plant to another.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#64 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

Because wood absorbs the oils from plants being worked on. Therefore, if you're working with a poisonous plant (or something just harmful-to-you, like something you're allergic to), you don't want to use that same pestle on something you're planning on ingesting - the wood will transfer oils from one plant to another.

Thanks, MW-you explained it much better than I could have! :atoast:

Elizabeth

#65 Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch

Mistress of havok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

For me, tools are ones that actually speak to me and have the correct feel in my hands or near me. If the energies are not correct I do not use the item, wether it is a item specifically for magic use or an ordinary item that I use every day. I do the same when I buy most things, if it doesn't feel right to me, I don't buy or use it. I am the same when it comes to my working. Anything is fair game for me to use.
Age does not bring with it wisdom. Wisdom comes with experience.

#66 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Gotcha! Thanks, MW.

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#67 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

I've used the Suribachi a couple of times, now. It works, marginally, better than my traditional mortar and pestle, on the tough stuff. Nothing earth-shattering, though. At the very least, it will come in handy as a second "grinder and squisher" when I'm working, lol.

#68 math

math

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

all of the above and more - sometimes I improvise, a bird's feather to represent air, a ;ot candle for fire, a stone for earth, a cup for water. Sometimes a ritual dagger and wands/staves, runes . . . whatever I think will work. I use astrology and gem stones as tools quite a bit these days.

#69 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

As far as tools go, I find that I use Candles all the time. Pretty much any spell that I craft involves one or more candles going. I guess for me, candles seem to fit best. I also like to use incense very often, as well as earth, and herbs. I also have a pentacle that I have magically charged that has my birthstone in the center. I've given it tons of good energy and keep it charged. Although not necessary for spells, I like to do things depending on the moon phase. I've always been very drawn to the moon (also my planet in the zodiac) and feel very in-tune with its energy so it works very well with me if I incorporate its phases with various spells. But the most important tool that I think I have, is the energy that comes from within me. Without internel energy that we have and harness, any spell would be useless in my opinion.
Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#70 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

A fraction of the stuff I use I purchased during my Wiccan phase, but most of that got thrown out, because it didn't mean anything to me anymore. Well. It never really did, to be honest. I was just going, quite zombie-like, by the book and getting altar supplies.

I never actually formed a relationship with any of those excess tools, except my athame and my mortar and pestle, which are the only tools I kept. I have this borderline fetish for knives and daggers. I don't know what it is, but they've always had this powerful aura about them that clicks with me just right, and they're usually my tool of choice for directing energy and, obviously, cutting and preparing herbs (I have a small pocket-knife for the latter).

I use wands when I don't want to be seen flourishing a weapon around, but they're usually just whatever stick I find lying on the ground. I don't take them home and decorate them and love them and pet them and call them George (bad joke, sorry). I think they're lovely just as they're found, and I throw them back to nature when I'm done with them, for somebody else to make use of.

As for the mortar and pestle, working with that just puts me in a trance. I'll be grinding something down, and forget everything else around me. Same thing happens when I'm cooking or preparing tea. It's usually the only time I can do spells on a whim and actually have them work, because I've built up enough energy to carry it out.

Other tools I make use of are:

1) Tarot cards
(Rider-Waite deck, after several others I tried that didn't work for me. I use these both for divination and as visual representations of intent, as I am a very visual person)
2) Rocks, crystals, gems
(I've had a weird, almost biological connection to these since I was a kid, so I use them a LOT)
3) Incense
4) Candles
5) Plants/herbs/flowers/fruits/vegetables
6) Dirt/soil
7) Blood
8) Charms
9) Random bits and bobs I find lying around

My most POTENT tool, though, are these completely random, nonsensical chants/incantations that just come to me. I actually killed a headache with one of those yesterday. xD

Edited by Ilexys Morighanan, 17 May 2011 - 12:48 AM.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#71 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

I have divination tools... tarot cards, oracle cards, pendulums. I have dedicated tools... candles, knives, incense, herbs, and oils. And I have my garden. I also use whatever is lying around that suits my purposes.

But I have a few tools that weren't originally intended for magical purposes that have become some of my most powerful tools!

One is a beautiful hand carved horn comb (the pentagram comb in this shop: Mehandi.com combs). Using this comb in my hair and spending time oiling it has filled it with my energy and intentions. I find this is true for my hair sticks also.

I never intended the henna I use for anything other than my hair either, but I found it has many uses for me now that I've grown such a fondness for it... just the smell of it puts me into a different mindset.

I also have this little soapstone dish that I found at walmart of all places. It just caught my eye and I had to have it. I just wanted it for burning incense... but now I use it for all sorts of things.

~ Freki

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#72 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:31 AM

... love them and pet them and call them George

I knew there was a reason I liked you! I often use this quote myself, but no-one seems to get it.

I did collect things when I was trying to put together an altar a few times, haven't really kept any of them. I have a knife I bought off of ebay over a year ago which I haven't used yet but I feel it will have some use in future. I use tarot for divination and I have runes, but I could never relate to them. I also have a sewing kit, which I've used in making a poppet before. There's a motar and pestle which gets used for lots of things and that's about it so far. I'm still sorting out what I want/need as opposed what I "should" have and part of me still feels it's right to just use what is laying about the house and not have special items. I have seen a crystal ball which I will be purchasing in a couple of weeks.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#73 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

With the exception of the runes I made and the moonstone pendant my sister gave me, I have nothing that is specifically for magical use. I don't even have a mortar and pestle but I do need to get one and it will be used for magical and mundane reasons, but I find cooking quite magical anyway. I'd like to own a proper knife one day but it hasn't found me yet so I musn't be ready.

#74 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

[quote name='Ilexys Morighanan' timestamp='1305592974' post='99619']

love them and pet them and call them George <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :roflhard: :roflhard:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#75 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

George

Hehehehhee..... LOVE IT!

Edited by LdyShalott, 18 May 2011 - 02:40 PM.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#76 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

[quote name='LdyShalott' timestamp='1305729287' post='99765']
George

Hehehehhee..... LOVE IT!

OMFG ! ( Oh my Fiber Grams ) ....................... Witches are wired so uniquely... Damn near choked on my coffee, thankyouverymuch.
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#77 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

love them and pet them and call them George <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :roflhard: :roflhard:

Regards,
Gypsy

[/quote]

Wow, you've taken me back. When my daughter was little she used to quote this all the time every time she got a new toy.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#78 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

George

Hehehehhee..... LOVE IT!

What can I say? I loved Looney Toons as a kid. Posted Image

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#79 RavenLB

RavenLB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

I use a variety of tools. I'm absolutely mad about wood and trees, so I use a number of different wands.......depending on the goal I'm trying to manifest. Hazel, Rowan, Blackthorn, and Hawthorn are some favourites to work with. I've got a friend who makes them, so she's made most of mine. I also use a lot of mini coloured candles (for my Hoodoo-flavoured workings) and some larger, pure beeswax candles for light and spellwork. Crystals and stones are also in common use in my magic. Finally, I've got quite a lot of essential oils and herbs, which I use both medicinally, and for spellwork and incense. I'm really big into traditional folk magic, and try to follow as best I can the time-tested spells of yesterday, so I've got a lot of odds and ends floating about here. In my closet, I've got both an old-fashioned broomstick, and an Oak staff, but I rarely use either.....

#80 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:39 AM

I use a variety of tools. I'm absolutely mad about wood and trees, so I use a number of different wands.......depending on the goal I'm trying to manifest. Hazel, Rowan, Blackthorn, and Hawthorn are some favourites to work with. I've got a friend who makes them, so she's made most of mine. I also use a lot of mini coloured candles (for my Hoodoo-flavoured workings) and some larger, pure beeswax candles for light and spellwork. Crystals and stones are also in common use in my magic. Finally, I've got quite a lot of essential oils and herbs, which I use both medicinally, and for spellwork and incense. I'm really big into traditional folk magic, and try to follow as best I can the time-tested spells of yesterday, so I've got a lot of odds and ends floating about here. In my closet, I've got both an old-fashioned broomstick, and an Oak staff, but I rarely use either.....

I like wands, too, RavenLB; however, I don't make them or have them made. I choose wands for purpose, not decoration, so it doesn't matter to me if they are pretty. Some do have a certain natural beauty, though. My wands come directly from nature.