• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#41 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

What a brilliant idea, I might just have to go " thrifting ", I remember seeing one in the shop, recently. Thanks for the Idea !

Regards,
Gypsy

Happy thrifting!!! It's one of my favourite things to do. Routing through other people's junk with no particular object in mind is great. I've been known to buy old games just to get the coloured counters or dice or whatever out of them...and some of the boxes are cool too.

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#42 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

Happy thrifting!!! It's one of my favourite things to do. Routing through other people's junk with no particular object in mind is great. I've been known to buy old games just to get the coloured counters or dice or whatever out of them...and some of the boxes are cool too.

Why thanks, the fondue pots are brilliant. How many times did I not have enough burners on the stove for mixing infused wax for my path. With this idea, one could have a 1/2 dozen little pots brewing, and all you need is a decent size candle? I could have herbs brewing in one, and wax in another... brilliant idea ! Oils, and all sorts of concoctions ! And clean up ? Bareeeeze ! :cauldron04:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#43 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

Dont you just love it when you find something you forgot you had, as you never had a use for it.
An when you discover it again you think its just perfect for some purpose you have in your mind. :wickedwitch:

Forays into the storage room can be a lot of fun, lol. Found a miter saw (& tabletop stand) in there this morning that I forgot I had. *dancing*

#44 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

In the tradition that I practice we use the mortar & pestle as the primary tool. It has, of course, its practical use with plants, but it's also used in the metaphorical sense of incorporating, mixing and blending on magical levels. I favor mine for spell casting through tapping rhythm and through turning the pestle in circular patterns inside the mortar. I also tend to call largely upon the entity known as She of the thorn-blooded rose.

In the tradition we also use the mortar & pestle to interface with spirits of the plant kingdom. It makes for a good meeting place, and the arrangement of plant materials in and around the mortar & pestle are aids to invocation or evocation depending on what is desired.

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#45 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hi Shadow Touch. I understand somewhat where you are coming from regarding the Mortar and Pestle, though I'm not part of any particular tradition.
It is also what I would consider my primary working tool.
I have two, used for different things, which I've had for many years and I would consider them beloved.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#46 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello Pye. Thanks for sharing. I use two as well. One is made of wood (an old antique I stumbled upon) and the other is stone. I use them as a connection to the Plant Kingdom and the Mineral Kingdom. I find that both work well to draw out shadow from the memory dwelling within the spirit of the land.

Hi Shadow Touch. I understand somewhat where you are coming from regarding the Mortar and Pestle, though I'm not part of any particular tradition.
I have two, used for different things, which I've had for many years and I would consider them beloved.

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#47 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

until I read this I hadn't really thought to include it, but I use a mortar and pestle alot- when using it and its kind of a bit like treading the mill but on a smaller scale - though no less effective! its easy to but up intent, and become drawn in, and I have a stone one which can take a good bit of pressure - just as well as I am so heavy handed!

#48 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

I have a nice marble mortar and pestle but I just ordered a Suribachi-it has grooves inside the bowl that are supposed to be useful for tougher things like roots and seeds. Has anyone else used one of these? If so, do they really work for grinding the tougher stuff?

Elizabeth

#49 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

I have a nice marble mortar and pestle but I just ordered a Suribachi-it has grooves inside the bowl that are supposed to be useful for tougher things like roots and seeds. Has anyone else used one of these? If so, do they really work for grinding the tougher stuff?

Elizabeth

my one is smooth-ish (no grooves) but I give anything thats tough a bash with my rolling pin first (by putting the ingredients inside a bag, so the bits dont fly everywhere) - let me know how you get on with this one though.:chakrahearts:

#50 Orchid Moon

Orchid Moon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

I have a large ceramic one for the liquidy squishy stuff and a rough granite one for the tough seeds, bark and other harder stuff. My OH bought it for his cooking but I soon whipped it away. I have heard of one witch who uses a food processor. I don't think that is the way to go really but it did make me smile when I heard about it.
In Witchcraft, each of us must reveal our own truth

#51 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

I have a large ceramic one for the liquidy squishy stuff and a rough granite one for the tough seeds, bark and other harder stuff. My OH bought it for his cooking but I soon whipped it away. I have heard of one witch who uses a food processor. I don't think that is the way to go really but it did make me smile when I heard about it.

While I have three mortars and pestles, I also have four food processors of various sizes, which I use all the time. Unless the working calls for it, I have more important things to do than sit for hours grinding up seeds, bark and such. As many spells as I like to cast, I would break my arm.

I love technology. I am absolutely certain that if my ancestors had access to the same technology that we do today, they would use it. They did not use the mortar and pestle, because toiling away made them feel all Witchy. They used them, because that was the only choice they had at the time.

Jevne

#52 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

I love technology. I am absolutely certain that if my ancestors had access to the same technology that we do today, they would use it. They did not use the mortar and pestle, because toiling away made them feel all Witchy. They used them, because that was the only choice they had at the time.

Jevne

I love that Jevne,

so can I now confess that I make tons of bread each week - in a breadmaker - I know, not really very adventurous but it tastes so much better than shop bought, and I just don't have the time to knead and rise, knead and rise and bake (and not burn it). :blobfire:

my favourites are sultana and also a good old fashioned plain loaf, lovely toasted. I am also experimenting with the herb bread too. I love my wee machine.

p.s. I do not expect this machine to be listed in the 'tools of a witch' section anytime soon. :whistling:

Edited by winter night, 06 February 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#53 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

I love that Jevne,

so can I now confess that I make tons of bread each week - in a breadmaker - I know, not really very adventurous but it tastes so much better than shop bought, and I just don't have the time to knead and rise, knead and rise and bake (and not burn it). :blobfire:

my favourites are sultana and also a good old fashioned plain loaf, lovely toasted. I am also experimenting with the herb bread too. I love my wee machine.

p.s. I do not expect this machine to be listed in the 'tools of a witch' section anytime soon. :whistling:

Why not? If your a witch and you use it for some type of spell then it is a tool of a witch. You could make special bread infused with some kind of spell like a healing or love spell, for a specific person who eats the bread. I like the idea personally.

#54 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

I love that Jevne,

Okais, I gotta admit that I have several electric coffee grinders in my pantry that I use for grinding herbs. I also have a M & P also. I didn't get all knicker wadded or felt less witchy using them. Point being, I don't grow on being guilt ridden, some may say that's not ritual, I don't give a fiddlers fart about that, that is them, not me, I like practical. Bring on the bread machine, imho. ! LOL.
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#55 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Okais, I gotta admit that I have several electric coffee grinders in my pantry that I use for grinding herbs. I also have a M & P also. I didn't get all knicker wadded or felt less witchy using them. Point being, I don't grow on being guilt ridden, some may say that's not ritual, I don't give a fiddlers fart about that, that is them, not me, I like practical. Bring on the bread machine, imho. ! LOL.
Regards,
Gypsy

thanks for the support White Rose and Celtic Gypsy, I was thinking I would have to come along to BMA (breadmachine anonymous)

I do put alot into the receipes and the ingredients, and the end product is great - its my wee bit of pleasure walking in to a house smelling of fresh baked bread too.

......Its going to have to take a back seat now though to all that soap I'll be making! LOL!:vhappywitch:

#56 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

thanks for the support White Rose and Celtic Gypsy, I was thinking I would have to come along to BMA (breadmachine anonymous)

I do put alot into the receipes and the ingredients, and the end product is great - its my wee bit of pleasure walking in to a house smelling of fresh baked bread too.

......Its going to have to take a back seat now though to all that soap I'll be making! LOL!:vhappywitch:

LOL! I know the feeling. I have to start making some soaps too. Family members love them as gifts.

#57 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:03 AM

I love my mortar & pestle, both for practical and for tension release purposes.
But this suggestion is not so much a tool as a useful container. For those of you who colour your hair at home; most modern home hair colours now provide decent rubber gloves in a little plastic capsule. It's a wonderful little two-inch plastic thing wih a tight fitting lid and you can keep all sorts of stuff safely in it. I've got loads of them with potions, toe-nails, crushed egg-shells, hair-trimmings, etc in them.
I'm so worried about this silly UK herb restriction palaver. I don't know what to hoard for the best.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#58 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

I use a mortar and pestle. I have used a grinder for medicinal herbs, but for magical I prefer the M&P. I think it is the combination of force and form that creates magic - the witch harnesses a force and gives it purpose. For me, personally, I find it easier to concentrate on this using the male thrusting properties and the female "holding" or receptive properties of the M&P, to thrust into and pound something over and over, to grind going deosil or widdershins depending on purpose, gets me in that focused state to infuse what I am doing with my purpose and to pull in the force needed - I find a lot of my charging is actually done in the grinding/pulverising process. Also, during the process with an M&P I can draw sigils of symbols into the mix and work those in as well. I can chant and feed. I think I might use a metal-bladed grinder for an aggressive war-type working as the blade can be an implement of same, but for working with the power of the wort or resin I like to use one of my M&Ps. But that is just me, my old teacher used to use a coffee grinder a lot, lol.

M

#59 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Presenting, the Suribachi...........haven't used it yet, plan to this week and will report back. The grooves in the ceramic feel nice and rough, though, so I am very optimistic. :witchbroom:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

Presenting, the Suribachi...........haven't used it yet, plan to this week and will report back. The grooves in the ceramic feel nice and rough, though, so I am very optimistic. :witchbroom:
Posted ImagePosted Image

and its very pretty too. good luck when you try it out!

just wanted to ask - is the pestle wooden?

Edited by winter night, 14 February 2011 - 06:41 PM.