* * * * * 1 votes

Your Tools?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

I personally use the word fetish to refer to something that has purposely been made into a "house" for a specific spirit, power, virtue. It is no longer merely a mundane object but actually houses part of that spirit/virtue in that it is a direct connection to it. An unawakened blade is a blade one can use to direct energy or cut, etc., but a blade that is a fetish houses and carries not only the power of the witch but the power of whatever spirit familiar she has directed to it and when used it taps directly into the power and makes the witch "one" with it through her use of the object. An object used this way must be deliberately made into a fetish although I have come across an item once that was not a fetish but had a strong attachment to an "entity" so it only made sense to keep that connection. Basically, due to what is housed in and through them, the tools become "alive" and can actually be treated as the spirit or power itself.

M

Thanks Michelle. This is a bit different then what I do. Sounds fascinating and very potent

#22 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Michelle. This is a bit different then what I do. Sounds fascinating and very potent

To me it is the bigger part of my path - Magic exists becuase we recognize these forces and one can stop there and just do magic and use the tools to do magic. But if one wants to get into more mystical workings, one actually goes past "using" these forces and moves into direct interaction with them. If separateness is a duality, then the witch IS actually the force - not becuase of her own will and focus, but becuase there is nothing separating her knowledge of her self and her relation to the forces of spirit. And in becoming that, the witch then has access to what has been before and after becuase these forces have always been. But to know that intellectually doesn't automaticaly "get one there" one has to work it, to find and connect to the force, to awaken it in the tool and in one's self and join the them. Doing magic is one way of strengthening this bond. But to my mind, the bond and the becoming are the important things, magic is the byproduct of recognizing and working with the Truth. Magic is the mundne action in this reality that is one key to working with the mystery that exists in the other reality.

M

#23 Guest_Melodye_*

Guest_Melodye_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

To me it is the bigger part of my path - Magic exists becuase we recognize these forces and one can stop there and just do magic and use the tools to do magic. But if one wants to get into more mystical workings, one actually goes past "using" these forces and moves into direct interaction with them. If separateness is a duality, then the witch IS actually the force - not becuase of her own will and focus, but becuase there is nothing separating her knowledge of her self and her relation to the forces of spirit. And in becoming that, the witch then has access to what has been before and after becuase these forces have always been. But to know that intellectually doesn't automaticaly "get one there" one has to work it, to find and connect to the force, to awaken it in the tool and in one's self and join the them. Doing magic is one way of strengthening this bond. But to my mind, the bond and the becoming are the important things, magic is the byproduct of recognizing and working with the Truth. Magic is the mundne action in this reality that is one key to working with the mystery that exists in the other reality.

M

Michele I love your writing style. You have a clear and concise way of explaining things that would take me 6 pages to try and get out, thats if I could come up with the words at all! lol.

I've enjoyed reading your posts.

#24 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

in the past I had alot of stuff which was aquired really because I did too much shopping and practised too little. Most of it just couldnt inspire me either.

Now I more often find things presenting themselves to me for my workings - old buttons and keys turning up when I know I could use them (in a working).

Not having as much money to throw around now, I find I have become even more inspired to gather what I need from what I have around me.

There is nothing like being broke to truely inspire you to get creative with your workings - I like to think though that the ancestors (dont know if any of mine were witches but anyway.!) would have done the same, made do - kept back small remenants of fabric or special thread incase the need arose.

I think there is alot to be said for delving in your sewing box for randon pins, threads and scraps and a checking out your kitchen cupboard for herbs and candles and stuff. Though I do believe that once they are charged and used for workings they become the tools of the witch.:vhappywitch:

#25 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Most useful are the things I take time and make myself or the things I pick up in nature. The most useless usually tends to be the things I buy already made.

I love crafty things like poppets dolls and dream pillows. Also my herbs and herb books, candles and incense.

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#26 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

[quote name='firebird' timestamp='1291849322' post='89241']
What tools do use in your crafting.?

Sounds daft, but things my cat brings in to me: bits of pine twig, sticky seeds attached to his fur, the occasional bird feather...There always seems to be an appropriate use just ready for their arrival. The most useless things seem to be those that cost more. Some things I've bought because they look good - transpire to be pretty much 'dead'.
I also find that things given to me with love - from my daughter or grandchildren - come ready-charged with potent energy. Of course that may be because I allow myself to be more readily open to such gifts.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#27 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

I also find that alot of premade stuff is dead. I ended up collecting alot of different tools and craft items because I suscribed to the wiccan "you need this" mentality. I've never used half the stuff I have. I find some tools help me focus when I have to do a ritual, but its mainly things like incense and candles, maybe the act of writing down my intentions on speciall paper (purple sticky notes...:vhappywitch: ) or have a peice to look at that I decorated with beads and stuff. I find the tools I actually use are ones that I alter or find around the house, like my special sticky notes, or my side walk chalk and these dont feel dead to me, some of the things actually have some juice.

#28 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

I bought a lot of cool, shiny things in my wiccan phase, too. They're somewhere in the storage room right now.
The tools I use most often these days are a couple pots & pans (set aside specifically for spell work), lots of drawing notepads, paint brushes & watercolor pencils, and (depending on what I'm working on that day) whatever else I can find in the art supplies closet or the kitchen cupboards.

#29 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Sounds daft, but things my cat brings in to me: bits of pine twig, sticky seeds attached to his fur, the occasional bird feather...There always seems to be an appropriate use just ready for their arrival.
I also find that things given to me with love - from my daughter or grandchildren - come ready-charged with potent energy.

Aww that's so lovely!

(Wish my cats were useful like that, the only thing they do is wake me up in the wee hours with their mad chases up and down the house!) :D

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#30 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I also find that alot of premade stuff is dead.

I find this very much with store-bought flowers... they look and smell wonderful but any relation to magic seems to have been bread bout of them. I use them for brightening up the house and attracting beneficial spirits, but I rarely use them in magic. They may be good to use in baneful magic as "trick" or luring into a "dead" space, though.

M

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Sounds daft, but things my cat brings in to me

Makes sense... even some of the more grusome things my cat has left me (half-eaten things) I will sometimes keep embalmed in alcohol.

M

#32 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm finding that a lot of the "goodies" that I purchased in the beginning, are now getting "re-purposed"........I figure, if I can make them useful in some way, I haven't wasted my money.

#33 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

I'm finding that a lot of the "goodies" that I purchased in the beginning, are now getting "re-purposed"........I figure, if I can make them useful in some way, I haven't wasted my money.

I occasionally buy things on a whim and later think "why the hell did I buy that", but I'm a pack rat and things just get put into storage. Lately, I've found that I did need those things, sometimes year later.

Jevne

#34 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

I occasionally buy things on a whim and later think "why the hell did I buy that", but I'm a pack rat and things just get put into storage. Lately, I've found that I did need those things, sometimes year later.

Jevne

In the past, I've been an "anti-pack rat", but these days, I'm being a lot more careful about what I get rid of-for exactly the reason you stated, Jevne. It's kinda fun when you "figure out" why you hung on to some strange, seemingly innocous (sp?) thing!

Elizabeth

#35 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

Oh I like that!

<------tempted now to go through some of the stuff in storage.

#36 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Oh I like that!

<------tempted now to go through some of the stuff in storage.

Dont you just love it when you find something you forgot you had, as you never had a use for it.
An when you discover it again you think its just perfect for some purpose you have in your mind. :wickedwitch:

#37 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Ages ago I acquired a mini fondue kit, don't know where from, no idea why, but take a look at it and tell me you couldn't come up with multiple uses for it, aside from the occasional tasty cheese snack :)

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0762411333

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#38 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

Ages ago I acquired a mini fondue kit, don't know where from, no idea why, but take a look at it and tell me you couldn't come up with multiple uses for it, aside from the occasional tasty cheese snack :)

I've got a nice fondue set in my china cabinet that I never use...............thanks for the idea!! :cauldron04:

Elizabeth

#39 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

I've got a nice fondue set in my china cabinet that I never use...............thanks for the idea!! :cauldron04:

Elizabeth

Now I gotta get myself one of those :wickedwitch:

#40 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

What a brilliant idea, I might just have to go " thrifting ", I remember seeing one in the shop, recently. Thanks for the Idea !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1