• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

What tools do use in your crafting.? The best an most effective an also the most useless you've used.

I swear by my Wands= willow, hollowed out, containing Quartz, sage, sunflower an blood, also I have a crystal one I use for Divining in particular finding lost things.

I also find candles indespensible for all sorts of things, spell work , meditation as an accompanment during scrying. Of course my Scrying mirror.

Collection of herbs an resins for insense an other stuff, better include my herb books.

My Bath for meditation, ritual cleansing.

Also my garden a great source of leaves, plants an things I use. Also use a Heptagram pendant for protection an general well being.

Most useless stuff I have.
Large Crystal wand....absolutley dead!!!!!!!,
Crystal ball.....just dont get anything out of, maybe me, we just dont get on LOL.
Tarot cards...these I cannot touch, give me the creeps.
Most of the books I seem to have collected.
:vhappywitch:

#2 Guest_Melodye_*

Guest_Melodye_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

What tools do use in your crafting.? The best an most effective an also the most useless you've used.

I swear by my Wands= willow, hollowed out, containing Quartz, sage, sunflower an blood, also I have a crystal one I use for Divining in particular finding lost things.

I also find candles indespensible for all sorts of things, spell work , meditation as an accompanment during scrying. Of course my Scrying mirror.

Collection of herbs an resins for insense an other stuff, better include my herb books.

My Bath for meditation, ritual cleansing.

Also my garden a great source of leaves, plants an things I use. Also use a Heptagram pendant for protection an general well being.

Most useless stuff I have.
Large Crystal wand....absolutley dead!!!!!!!,
Crystal ball.....just dont get anything out of, maybe me, we just dont get on LOL.
Tarot cards...these I cannot touch, give me the creeps.
Most of the books I seem to have collected.
:vhappywitch:

I think it depends how you define tools. I consider tools to be items that help direct energy such as wands, candles and athames.

Personally I use crystals, essential oils and runes either drawn on paper or carved into candles. I don't really consider them tools because these things bring their own energy to the spell work.

#3 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

What tools do I use? Whatever it takes and is readily available to me.

Sticks and stones; blood and bones; bottles and bags; candles and rags; herbs and strings; natural things.

An item is a tool, when I say it is a tool.

Yesterday, I cast a prosperity spell with a plastic drinking straw, a paper cup and a permanent marker.

Jevne

#4 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:33 AM

with Jevne on this one, has to be spontaneous and instinctive!
Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway:

#5 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

Sticks and stones; blood and bones; bottles and bags; candles and rags; herbs and strings; natural things.

Yesterday, I cast a prosperity spell with a plastic drinking straw, a paper cup and a permanent marker.

Jevne

Love it :witchbroom:

Me too - anything I have - my favourites have been stones I have found on walks, in my garden, jars and bottles, bits of rag materials, bones, hair, acorns, fir cones, leaves, herbs and roots and I love feathers. I have attached other items to feathers - depending on my goal / spell and intent.

I also draw and have used this for a kind of divination, trance work and spiritual work

I agree an any item can be a tool. I don't have any tool that is brought, I brought crystals many years ago and find that I only use a few of them. I don't have the seem feel for them as I do natural items so I would say I don't feel the same about crystals. And I think I would feel much the same way about any brought tool unless I really felt something when I picked it up. And I'm fairly poor so I can't see me running out and buying anything soon anyway.

#6 Guest_Hajnalka_*

Guest_Hajnalka_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

hmmm - interesting replys so far... I try to keep things simple - i did the whole wands and sticks and majick knives thing when i did wicca - i can see how it works for some people but as I developed i saw these things more as part of items used to play ''dress up witch'' then something vital for majical activiity... of course i totally respect that for some people this method works - but after a while i found i i spent more time looking after and putting energy in to looking after my tools then i did anything else...

i try to keep things a little bit practical - i try to think of the way my ancestors would have done things and take my lead from that...

1 ) Mala beads - used for chanting mantras and meditating.. i have high anxiety so they really help to keep me calm...

2) Tarot cards.. mainly for personal readings - but in the past ( when i was reading and practising the craft much more ) ive charged for readings - the money has come in usefull when i ve been travelling or out of work..

3 ) Chaddars - like giant scarves or pashminas - i guess kind of like a small blanket... can be used for everything from covering myself up, sleeping on or under, as a makeshift bag, or to keep warm, i often throw them over an otherwise too revealing outfit if i go to the temple - or just go in some place where i dont want to be leared at - they are a life saver ...

4 ) herbal teas/ herbs... ive always been really interested in herbal medicine - and i think our ancestors could cure many more things than we could today.. also - there are many times - like upset stomachs or headaches when herbal remedies are the best cure ...

5 ) sindur ( the paint i use to make a red bindi on my forhead), henna for hands and feet - to make sacred symbols and protective patterns etc . tilak - a clay from the river ganges - perfumed with sandlewood that in hinduism is considered sacred - its put on 12 points of the body - including the head= its considered purifying and a way of turning the body in to a temple...

on the rare occaisions i do cast spells - i often go into nature and use whatever is around at the time. .. i believe strongly in working with natural energies for spells and find that natural items work best for me..

thats about it ... not really very traditional i know but it works for me ...

#7 morganeuse

morganeuse

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Jevne

Totally agree with this, tools are whatever's around for me.

Having said that, there are a few items I particularly like to have with me. I use Tarot a lot, I have a piece of driftwood I found on the beach (I guess most people would call it a wand, I call it a piece of wood ;) ), I've been known to use stones and shells and incense and saris and all sorts of stuff.

Essentially, whatever's lying around at the time.

#8 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

I like pretty, shiney things, too. I am a girl, after all; however, let's put this into perspective. Witches use what is around them; what has meaning for them. I have absolutely no affinity for crystals or essential oils, simply because they are not naturally in my environment or a part of my Path. They have no connection to me. These are just two examples that I pulled from this thread, but the same could apply to sea weed. I do not live near the ocean, so sea weed is not high on my list of spell ingredients.

I understand that the Internet has made it easier to get tools and ingredients that you would otherwise not have had access to. I like to find strange and new things, too, but for the real connection (i.e. most powerful magic), I prefer items which are familiar to me.

It is the same for runes. I know people who use runes. I find them interesting; however, they have no connection to my ancestral path. I find them intriguing the same way I find the history of France intriquing. I might even read a book or article about them, but I feel no desire to master runes.

A friend tried to get my grandmother to incorporate crystals into her workings. She listened. They discussed it, but in the end, Grandma said "If I go out into the woods behind the barn and find a pink crystal, I'll use it, but until that time, it's not for me."

Jevne

#9 Guest_Melodye_*

Guest_Melodye_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

I have absolutely no affinity for crystals or essential oils, simply because they are not naturally in my environment or a part of my Path. They have no connection to me. These are just two examples that I pulled from this thread, but the same could apply to sea weed. I do not live near the ocean, so sea weed is not high on my list of spell ingredients.

I understand that the Internet has made it easier to get tools and ingredients that you would otherwise not have had access to. I like to find strange and new things, too, but for the real connection (i.e. most powerful magic), I prefer items which are familiar to me.

It is the same for runes. I know people who use runes. I find them interesting; however, they have no connection to my ancestral path. I find them intriguing the same way I find the history of France intriquing. I might even read a book or article about them, but I feel no desire to master runes.

A friend tried to get my grandmother to incorporate crystals into her workings. She listened. They discussed it, but in the end, Grandma said "If I go out into the woods behind the barn and find a pink crystal, I'll use it, but until that time, it's not for me."

Jevne

Good point. Quartz was abundant on the farm I grew up on. I remember as a kid lugging this giant hunk of rock up a hill because it had a tiny piece of Quartz attached to it. LOL

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

I think in discussing tools it might be prudent to remember there are two differnet kinds - the mundane tool, which for me is also the tool I use in spell-craft, from the candle lit (in unawakened) to the lighter or matches used to light it. Some other tools are not mundane objects, but items the witch (at least in my path) has awakened as a fetish object through specific ritual and this/these tools then become actual fetish houses for a particular stream/power/virtue/source with which the witch works. There are cords that are used to tie knots for spells, and there are cords which have been "brought to life" that become the actual webs which the witch trembles. I can't speak for others, but to me there is a BIG difference between doing cord magic with an unawakened piece of string and actually working with a cord which is a fetish object for the web itself.

M

#11 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

I personally believe that everything can have a magical use or be a tool for directing your energy. I also agree with Michelle, majority of items of items can be used to focus your energy, but there's some that have an amazing energy/power/magic that's all their own which are wonderful to use when you have them.

#12 Guest_Melodye_*

Guest_Melodye_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

I personally believe that everything can have a magical use or be a tool for directing your energy. I also agree with Michelle, majority of items of items can be used to focus your energy, but there's some that have an amazing energy/power/magic that's all their own which are wonderful to use when you have them.

I think the best tool I ever used was my ex's fingernails. lol. But maybe that is more of an ingredient.

My spell work these days does not really involve tools at all. Majority of it is just me and my mind.

#13 Guest_Melodye_*

Guest_Melodye_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

my ex's fingernails.

Well, his clippings anyway. I didn't rip his fingernails off.

He left em on the coffee table... so I took em.

#14 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

I think in discussing tools it might be prudent to remember there are two differnet kinds - the mundane tool, which for me is also the tool I use in spell-craft, from the candle lit (in unawakened) to the lighter or matches used to light it. Some other tools are not mundane objects, but items the witch (at least in my path) has awakened as a fetish object through specific ritual and this/these tools then become actual fetish houses for a particular stream/power/virtue/source with which the witch works. There are cords that are used to tie knots for spells, and there are cords which have been "brought to life" that become the actual webs which the witch trembles. I can't speak for others, but to me there is a BIG difference between doing cord magic with an unawakened piece of string and actually working with a cord which is a fetish object for the web itself.

M

Fetish is not a word I use, sounds very interesting, is this a kind of charm or talisman. I make charms in which I use herbs. For this I reawaken the essence of the herbs, kind of like calling back the spirit (dried) before working with them. This is definitely very different. Then I feel the charm or talisman can continued to be worked with

#15 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

M

;) Which is why a Witches "tools" are not just merely tools. I agree with you 100% on this. The heavy symbolism associated with some of the familiar tools such as the blacksmith's Blade, the Skull, the Stang and Wand are a testament to this. What good is a symbol if it doesn't speak? A symbol is a language, a magical "character" which impresses upon the spirit.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#16 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

;) Which is why a Witches "tools" are not just merely tools. I agree with you 100% on this. The heavy symbolism associated with some of the familiar tools such as the blacksmith's Blade, the Skull, the Stang and Wand are a testament to this. What good is a symbol if it doesn't speak? A symbol is a language, a magical "character" which impresses upon the spirit.

Oh yes I definitely agree with this. The tools - the symbols of these tools speaking to us, being a language and impressing on the spirit. A beautiful way of putting it. I do like the more familiar and traditional tools like the stag and the skull and I love the symbolism of these tools

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:24 AM

Fetish is not a word I use, sounds very interesting, is this a kind of charm or talisman. I make charms in which I use herbs. For this I reawaken the essence of the herbs, kind of like calling back the spirit (dried) before working with them. This is definitely very different. Then I feel the charm or talisman can continued to be worked with

I personally use the word fetish to refer to something that has purposely been made into a "house" for a specific spirit, power, virtue. It is no longer merely a mundane object but actually houses part of that spirit/virtue in that it is a direct connection to it. An unawakened blade is a blade one can use to direct energy or cut, etc., but a blade that is a fetish houses and carries not only the power of the witch but the power of whatever spirit familiar she has directed to it and when used it taps directly into the power and makes the witch "one" with it through her use of the object. An object used this way must be deliberately made into a fetish although I have come across an item once that was not a fetish but had a strong attachment to an "entity" so it only made sense to keep that connection. Basically, due to what is housed in and through them, the tools become "alive" and can actually be treated as the spirit or power itself.

M

#18 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

I personally use the word fetish to refer to something that has purposely been made into a "house" for a specific spirit, power, virtue. It is no longer merely a mundane object but actually houses part of that spirit/virtue in that it is a direct connection to it. An unawakened blade is a blade one can use to direct energy or cut, etc., but a blade that is a fetish houses and carries not only the power of the witch but the power of whatever spirit familiar she has directed to it and when used it taps directly into the power and makes the witch "one" with it through her use of the object. An object used this way must be deliberately made into a fetish although I have come across an item once that was not a fetish but had a strong attachment to an "entity" so it only made sense to keep that connection. Basically, due to what is housed in and through them, the tools become "alive" and can actually be treated as the spirit or power itself.

M

And also, why so many tools are "named" by the witch; having a name is a powerful thing. The blade is a good example of this, folklore and history have excellent examples of infamous swords with names such as Caledfwlch (Excalibur), Gungir (Odhin's Spear), The Spear of Destiny (Forged by Tubal Cain).

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:14 AM

And also, why so many tools are "named" by the witch; having a name is a powerful thing. The blade is a good example of this, folklore and history have excellent examples of infamous swords with names such as Caledfwlch (Excalibur), Gungir (Odhin's Spear), The Spear of Destiny (Forged by Tubal Cain).

Yes, I agree completely, although waiting to "receive" the name can be bitch, lol!!!!

M xoxox

#20 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

I too use the essence of the herb or plant material. When I need a binding spell, I use morning glory vines. I agree its calling back the spirit before working with them. Whether they are harvested while, flexible, or dried and rubbed with oil, it serves the purpose it was created for.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1