Definition of fluffy?

Abhainn

I found my way to TW through Wicca, and I have to admit that I was caught up in a lot of what might be considered "fluffy." And since I began exploring, I have read a lot of comments about being "fluffy," though to many different degrees. I've read comments that suggest Wiccans to all be fluffy at the core, or anything that isn't definitively aligned with witchcraft or Wicca (spirit guides, for instance) is fluff. I've also read comments by people who say anyone not associated with a Wiccan tradition is fluffy. So I was wondering about everyone's definitions of "fluffy."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chatters

I found my way to TW through Wicca, and I have to admit that I was caught up in a lot of what might be considered "fluffy." And since I began exploring, I have read a lot of comments about being "fluffy," though to many different degrees. I've read comments that suggest Wiccans to all be fluffy at the core, or anything that isn't definitively aligned with witchcraft or Wicca (spirit guides, for instance) is fluff. I've also read comments by people who say anyone not associated with a Wiccan tradition is fluffy. So I was wondering about everyone's definitions of "fluffy."

Simple quick answer - Someone who is more attracted to the more outer parts of witchcraft or wicca such as the tools, the clothes and also somebody who will only work with "lighter energies"

For me it is someone who can not think for themselves, needs a book or tool for everything they do

I think most people use the term in a derogative sense to show annoyance and distance when they disagree with someone Wiccan, and that when used in that sense it is usually defined by whatever the person using it finds distasteful. Putting more thought into it, I would have to guess that a more accurate definition of fluffy would be "anyone who is out of balance with the over-balance being on the light aspect." Balance is a necessity both in craft and in life, and anyone who works solely with, or with a preponderance of, "light" energies is out of balance. By the same token someone who works solely with or with a preponderance of "dark energies" would be out of balance, too, although no one's come up with a word for that, probably becuase it isn't as visible as Wicca or if it is it doesn't have the weight of the numbers of people behind it that are in Wicca. Interestingly, in the middle ages most of the depictions and descriptions of witches and what they do showed the witches working with a preponderance of darkness and no light energies what-so-ever. These energies may not have actually been dark, but they were understood as dark by the lay-person. Its almost like now there is a pendulem swing in the other direction to make craft sociologicaly (sp?) acceptable which I believe is often what happens with sub-cultures that are not erased.

M

Simple quick answer - Someone who is more attracted to the more outer parts of witchcraft or wicca such as the tools, the clothes and also somebody who will only work with "lighter energies"

For me it is someone who can not think for themselves, needs a book or tool for everything they do

For me, it's 2 words, " Harm none " wicca crap ... some folks I've come across, just beg for it... they just can't help themselves. When they decide to irritate me, and choose not to stop, I've had to take matters into my own hands, and come up with something, that irritates them in some certain form. It's my way of being gracious, as they are still breathing and have a heart beat.

Regards,

Gypsy

The great thing about Trads, at least in my opinion, is that they are decidedly and un-apologetically human (i.e. normal), so what one Witch considers fluffy and intolerable may not be the same as for someone else. As you have probably determined, some Trads are more accepting; more gentle with newbies and ex-wiccans than some others will be. Personally, I have a low tolerance for willful ignorance and arrogance. Anything beyond that is negotiable.

Those who have "fluffy" tendencies can usually be smoked out with a couple of well placed, somewhat antagonistic posts or replies. Sure, a lot of Witches will be happy to share information with you and answer your serious questions, but also expect to be scolded, possibly even attacked depending on the offense, as you unlearn and relearn things. Think of it as rabbit hunting; a hazing of sorts. After all, bunnies who can't take the heat, should keep their asses away from the cauldron.

I can tell that you are trying to make a good impression. I like that. Trust me, if you slip in something that is fluffy, someone will let you know.

Fluffy is more of an attitude, than specific actions. Cause, Golly-gee! Why can't we all just love each other and only think happy thoughts and never, ever, ever, disagree or do/say/think/feel bad things, because that will make us drop dead three times over.

Jevne

So someone attracted to the trappings of the craft, the appearance and the sense of rebellion that comes with it? Or the sweetness and light? :)

Or is addicted to online spells?

I don't have any problems with Wiccans believing only in the "light". What I consider fluffy is Wiccans who are not practicing what they preach and/or Wiccans who, even though part of their dogma is acceptance of all paths, try to dictate what a real witch is.

Now personally, I don't think focusing on just the light is well balanced as mentioned earlier. And I also don't think Goddess worship is well balanced either. I believe in duality in nature. deity and energies. But to each his own.

The great thing about Trads, at least in my opinion, is that they are decidedly and un-apologetically human (i.e. normal), so what one Witch considers fluffy and intolerable may not be the same as for someone else. As you have probably determined, some Trads are more accepting; more gentle with newbies and ex-wiccans than some others will be. Personally, I have a low tolerance for willful ignorance and arrogance. Anything beyond that is negotiable.

Those who have "fluffy" tendencies can usually be smoked out with a couple of well placed, somewhat antagonistic posts or replies. Sure, a lot of Witches will be happy to share information with you and answer your serious questions, but also expect to be scolded, possibly even attacked depending on the offense, as you unlearn and relearn things. Think of it as rabbit hunting; a hazing of sorts. After all, bunnies who can't take the heat, should keep their asses away from the cauldron.

I can tell that you are trying to make a good impression. I like that. Trust me, if you slip in something that is fluffy, someone will let you know.

Fluffy is more of an attitude, than specific actions. Cause, Golly-gee! Why can't we all just love each other and only think happy thoughts and never, ever, ever, disagree or do/say/think/feel bad things, because that will make us drop dead three times over.

Jevne

This is pretty much my definition of fluffy as well. I also find it amusing that Wiccans have their own definition that they use to call other Wiccans who are purely eclectic and follow no tradition.

This is pretty much my definition of fluffy as well. I also find it amusing that Wiccans have their own definition that they use to call other Wiccans who are purely eclectic and follow no tradition.

If you search the Internet for the "definiton of fluffy bunny", you get a lot of websites, full of wiccans trying to prove that they aren't fluffy. It seems that once they realized that the term was creating a derogatory image of their path, they wanted to distance themselves from it as much as possible. I can understand that.

I know some really nice, intelligent, geniune wiccans, but unless they are prepared to do what needs to be done, they will find it hard to earn my total respect. That is the way it is. I will heal and bless, and I will also deliberately and willfully throw a curse on some dumb son-of-a-bitch who desperately deserves it. Witches are not limited by some rede, so they are less hesitant/afraid to take action.

Jevne

Guest Melodye

Personally I think there are 2 types of fluffies.

The newbies that haven't really got a clue whats going on and think that because they read a book and bought an athame they're now a fully fledged practitioner of witchcraft.

The other type and the love and lighters. An it harm none, don't do magic for personal gain, three fold return kind of people. Now just because this second lot are rooted in positive energy does not mean they're not good at what they do or are not very experienced witches.

The first lot are the ones you need to watch out for. lol

Now to the second lot, the only type of fluffies are the first lot. The first lot haven't even figured out that fluffies exist yet.

Personally, I have a low tolerance for willful ignorance and arrogance. Anything beyond that is negotiable.

Jevne

Well put Jevne. That applies to many types of folk for me, not just pagans/wiccans.

I'd call that normal. That is, if it's wlllfull and arrogant.

Ignorance-well, i'm likely ignorant of many things but not willfully.

What really annoys me is adults who spout love and light and cry 'Bully' if anyone should suggest that they are in any way wrong. brickwall.gif

That to me is 'fluffy', and also manipulative.

I don't have any problems with Wiccans believing only in the "light". What I consider fluffy is Wiccans who are not practicing what they preach and/or Wiccans who, even though part of their dogma is acceptance of all paths, try to dictate what a real witch is.

Now personally, I don't think focusing on just the light is well balanced as mentioned earlier. And I also don't think Goddess worship is well balanced either. I believe in duality in nature. deity and energies. But to each his own.

I dont have a problem with them either as long as they dont piss me off and keep their stupid ideas somewhere where I dont have to read them! That by the way is most deffinately not anywhere near a trad site!

For me it is someone who only sees what is termed as the `good` side of their nature rather than the whole and have come to this by reading some beginners guide to wicca (usually a bright pink book lol) and haven`t looked at their own inner feelings and life experience to see anything else. It is also those, in fact no, it is ESPECIALLY those who think it is `cool` to be a witch instead of doing what comes naturally as a spiritual being. We`ve all met them, `look at me, I`m a witch :witchnana: . Now I will make lots of freinds because they will all think I am cool and trendy. :grouphug:

Oh dear!

xx

Guest Chatters

So someone attracted to the trappings of the craft, the appearance and the sense of rebellion that comes with it? Or the sweetness and light? :)

Or is addicted to online spells?

Yes as others said, all and any of the above. As for the working with the light side of the craft, I have nothing against people who do this, it doesnt mean that they don't know their craft well, or that they could not make a good hex or curse if needed. They choose not to. I have respect for that. Personally if somebody hurt me and especially hurt the people I am closest too I would hurt them. I do as my nature dictates, I could not and would not ignore it. This means both in a mundane way - the police or just knocking their heads off and in a magical way - protection and hex/curse, whatever it takes.

For me, it's 2 words, " Harm none " wicca crap ... some folks I've come across, just beg for it... they just can't help themselves. When they decide to irritate me, and choose not to stop, I've had to take matters into my own hands, and come up with something, that irritates them in some certain form. It's my way of being gracious, as they are still breathing and have a heart beat.

Regards,

Gypsy

I don't have a problem with "harm none" as a guideline. As a hard and fast rule, it's impossible - just ask a Buddhist. As a guideline it's good to keep people in line until they learn how to determine the best way to handle a situation. Would we want a hormonal adolescent witch cursing her boyfriend and teachers and parents because she hasn't learned to use magic wisely and she's not emotionally mature enough to deal? UGH. What a mess. It's just "good business" to have a guard in place as a rule.

HOWEVER!

I agree that those who press the "harm none" to the extreme, so that they are not willing to learn basic hex and curse skills, or learn when to use them (and when NOT to use them) and judge others simply because they do use them, are irritating. It is an "over-balance." A Buddhist will learn self-defense while hoping never to have the opportunity to use it. A witch should know magical self-defense as well.

I'm not interested in harming anyone without serious provocation and introspection.

Guest Chatters

Regards,

Gypsy

I don't have a problem with "harm none" as a guideline. As a hard and fast rule, it's impossible - just ask a Buddhist. As a guideline it's good to keep people in line until they learn how to determine the best way to handle a situation. Would we want a hormonal adolescent witch cursing her boyfriend and teachers and parents because she hasn't learned to use magic wisely and she's not emotionally mature enough to deal? UGH. What a mess. It's just "good business" to have a guard in place as a rule.

HOWEVER!

I agree that those who press the "harm none" to the extreme, so that they are not willing to learn basic hex and curse skills, or learn when to use them (and when NOT to use them) and judge others simply because they do use them, are irritating. It is an "over-balance." A Buddhist will learn self-defense while hoping never to have the opportunity to use it. A witch should know magical self-defense as well.

I'm not interested in harming anyone without serious provocation and introspection.

Yes the harm none thing is taken to an extreme by some I think, but like you said having it has a guideline makes sense. I think that's more along the lines as it was originally intended and not as a hard rule. For me I do have my own work ethics which match my own personal ethics. I don't really go round hurting people for the slightness thing on a daily basis so why would I do it magically. Also if someone pisses me off by just saying something hurtful or is just being an arse then I would say something to them instead, give them a mouthful, no spell needed here. However if this was on going then I might just work a hex in the way of a slap, especially if they deserved it and if giving that person a piece of my mind didn't work, after all if someone really pissed me off then I very well might slap them round the head. I haven't had to do that for a while. Its funny over the last five years I have become stronger in my self and am more able to stick up for myself then I did before, people generally don't really walk over me any more so a hex has not been needed. I think people pick up on something being different about me but not exactly what its is.

A stronger hex or curse is an entirely different matter. Like you said serious provocation, I can think of at least one person who would seriously deserve it but who is thankfully no longer a part of my life

Yes the harm none thing is taken to an extreme by some I think, but like you said having it has a guideline makes sense. I think that's more along the lines as it was originally intended and not as a hard rule. For me I do have my own work ethics which match my own personal ethics. I don't really go round hurting people for the slightness thing on a daily basis so why would I do it magically. Also if someone pisses me off by just saying something hurtful or is just being an arse then I would say something to them instead, give them a mouthful, no spell needed here. However if this was on going then I might just work a hex in the way of a slap, especially if they deserved it and if giving that person a piece of my mind didn't work, after all if someone really pissed me off then I very well might slap them round the head. I haven't had to do that for a while. Its funny over the last five years I have become stronger in my self and am more able to stick up for myself then I did before, people generally don't really walk over me any more so a hex has not been needed. I think people pick up on something being different about me but not exactly what its is.

A stronger hex or curse is an entirely different matter. Like you said serious provocation, I can think of at least one person who would seriously deserve it but who is thankfully no longer a part of my life

I'm not sure who coined the phrase "fluffy bunny" but it sounds absurd...and off the mark. If one is referring to a someone new to the path, then use the word "newbie". I'm to understand that a fluffy bunny is predominantely a know it all...typically wiccan, but not always, one who can talk the talk but can't walk the talk....sort of a "jack of all "trades' but master of none. I rarely use this term....

Alayna

Define " trappings ". Thankyou.

Regards,

Gypsy

The trappings are the tools, the clothes, the "stuff." I guess you could add the reputation or the response one gets from society.

I dunno, Abhaiin, the biggest tool I have is myself, if I dress a certain way its for my pleasure, not for anyone elses. I've always been a free spirited dresser. Growing up in Texas in the desert, we always wore some form of dresses. As far as a response from society, I don't care, I use to, but I took a pill for that! There is deep pagan in my makeup, I've always been the " weird chick " at school. It's liberating now, to just breathe it in, and exhale with a grin.

Regards,

Gypsy

I'm sure there are people who would hex and curse like mad if given the all-clear. Personally, I'd rather save my energy and materials for something more substantial. :)

I'm not sure who coined the phrase "fluffy bunny" but it sounds absurd...and off the mark. If one is referring to a someone new to the path, then use the word "newbie". I'm to understand that a fluffy bunny is predominantely a know it all...typically wiccan, but not always, one who can talk the talk but can't walk the talk....sort of a "jack of all "trades' but master of none. I rarely use this term....

Alayna

I don't know either Alayna, but I'm not gonna get my knickers in a knot over it, as I never had a draw to wiccan. All those dieties, and faldarahh.. " harm none ".. ~ rolls her eyes ~ I totally agree with all who profess, " not without provocation " to me, that's " begging for harm " especially when the perpertrator won't let up. Ya feelin' me there? Oh how true do you say " walk the talk ". :applause: TW is a practice, a constant learning by trial and error. If one doesn't have the moxy or courage to utilize knowlege that this particular craft with it's many facets, then let them go play Witch somewhere else. TW is what you make of it, that is the success story here. Some are born with gifts, some have talents that in their personal practice have honed in on and are credible to them or others. This is a great thread for new and old, thank you Abhainn for the post!

Regards,

Gypsy