- - - - -

Tarot cards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#41 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hi everyone,
I have a deck of tarot cards i bought a while back.. Ive not really every used them - mainly because of lack of time and involvement in Hinduism for the last few years...

Lately ive had the feeling that id like to start learning them again.. i have a book and i plan to stick with the basic 22 card deck for now ( the full set just boggles my mind)

Im just wondering if anyone has any tips for using or learning them ?? I think i have some talent for clairvoyance - but i dont know where to start with channeling that through cards... ive experimented with other forms of divination in the past but cards seem most attractive to me...

id like advice on how often i should use my cards, when its ok to do readings for myself, when can i read for other poeple ? if any one can offer any tips on how to get started id be really greatfull..

The first real tarot book I ever got was 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot'. I think its a brilliant beginner book and I found it helped me work through my first tarot deck.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#42 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

When you say the 22 card deck are you meaning the Majors? What I'd try to do is go through the whole deck and familiarize yourself with the cards, try to use the whole deck, it's not as scary as you think. You'll get to know what each suite symbolizes then from there you can learn the meanings of the individual cards.

Try choosing a card for the day, just before you go to bed you can shuffle the deck asking what tomorrow will bring. Write down your card and try (I know it's hard sometimes finding the time, lol)keeping a Tarot journal. Doing this will help you get to now the cards. If you have a question then try a 3 card layout and put that into your journal too. I've been keeping a Tarot journal for years and like to go back and see how things worked out after a reading.

If you work at getting a good foundation of learning the meanings of the cards then later on you'll find that certain cards will have meanings for you that are not in books - but this is valid. As well, after a while you can use the cards as a sort of springboard for letting your clairvoyance take over.

Raina

#43 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

For me, learning the tarot like studying for a test with memory devices and stuff isn't my cup of tea because I do it to relax. When I was learning, I was inspired to recreate/riff on several of the paintings as my own art which I've attached here. The first is a painted woodcarving, each puzzle piece representing the major arcana with slots for colored marbles to sit on top of each one. The second is a lino cut print based on adjustment. The third is an image I adapted from the moon card in oil paints. This was back when I was about 16.

Love your art, thank you for sharing it!

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#44 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

I wouldn't know a Golden Dawner if they came up to me and handed me a bouquet of flowers. lol. When I was fiddling with my cards the other day I just had a personal revelation, tis all. While this is not the card that kept comming up when I drew, I'll use it as an example, as it's familiar to many who have their own incite to it, for my on going thought process.

The Death Card.

We all know that this card is linked to Scorpio. It's ( Death ) task is to cut down and clear away ( the use of a Scythe ) negative conditions and situations that may have possible outgrown or outworn their value, to make a way for more positive influences to come to one in the future.
In my thought process, I view " Death " as a final illusion, as a representation or symbol of emmotional barriers, when one breaks through that barrier, one can move into a new realm, where one can function completely different, irregardless of matter, energy, spiritual, time or space.
This card, would clear these unwanted influences, people, conditions, and set one free from old restraints, so one can move on, also it could be used to send messages to your ancestors, or just departed spirits, for that matter. My thoughts only, regarding the symbolism of the cards.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#45 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

Love your art, thank you for sharing it!

Thanks muchly, not too bad for high school, lol. But def an example of how I processed the tarot as a teenager and how we all do it differently. I definitely want to do my own deck one of these days; it would be rewarding. I love seeing the art people are putting up here. Great stuff all around.

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#46 Crazengraht

Crazengraht

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hi!

I have a tarot set, "Dark Grimoire" that I've bought in a shop in London near Covent Garden.
I have started learning the Tarot, practiced a bit and I am getting better at it.
Is it normal that when after some time of "tuning" the deck there are some cards that come back very often?
For example I get the card of the Judgement very often when I draw a card at random, on the other hand my girlfriend draws Death most of the time.
Is there an explanation to this?
Does it mean something?
Thanks for replying! :)

Also, is it doing it wrong to have all the cards upright or does it only channel positive energies this way?
I was discussing the matter with my girlfriend the other day and we tried with some "reversed" cards but it felt wrong to me as I could feel the negative energies entering my deck.
What do you think?

One is me, Two is ideal,
Three I fade, Four is either (2x2 or 3+1)
From five I lead, In the Shadow more often than not...
Don't Dream it, Be it!

#47 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hi!

I have a tarot set, "Dark Grimoire" that I've bought in a shop in London near Covent Garden.
I have started learning the Tarot, practiced a bit and I am getting better at it.
Is it normal that when after some time of "tuning" the deck there are some cards that come back very often?
For example I get the card of the Judgement very often when I draw a card at random, on the other hand my girlfriend draws Death most of the time.
Is there an explanation to this?
Does it mean something?
Thanks for replying! :)

Also, is it doing it wrong to have all the cards upright or does it only channel positive energies this way?
I was discussing the matter with my girlfriend the other day and we tried with some "reversed" cards but it felt wrong to me as I could feel the negative energies entering my deck.
What do you think?

In my experience, the bottom line is - do what feels right to you. There are no rigid and set in stone rules in tarot. Many use reversals, many do not, shuffle this way - shuffle that way, read by the book, read intuitively or read using both. In the end it is you using the cards, and you have to feel right about what you are doing in order for you to read well. Your methods may also change in time - go with it.

#48 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

I have used reversed cards since I first started with a deck. I, personally, wouldn't ignore that aspect of the decks wealth of information any more than I would take out the cards I didn't like when I wished to seek answers to a question.

I would be more inclined to feel you were applying 'negativity' to the prospect of reversed cards rather than it drawing anything 'negative' into the deck.

Reversed does not equate bad or negative after all.

If you are drawing a particular card with regularity I would check the cards above and below the card as well, depending on the material of the cards sometimes they have atendency to divide and adhere from touch and use, a thorough, gentle shuffling allowing air flow in the cards ensures they are free to give their meanings truly, decks that have been in boxes for a time before use are usually where this hits but can also crop up if you use a method involving splitting the deck to draw cards.

If the card seems to be calling out to your or your girlfriend do a reading centred around it. It may be that card is your tether to that deck or it may mean that it is trying to convey something to you.

#49 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

I have used reversed cards since I first started with a deck. I, personally, wouldn't ignore that aspect of the decks wealth of information any more than I would take out the cards I didn't like when I wished to seek answers to a question.

I would be more inclined to feel you were applying 'negativity' to the prospect of reversed cards rather than it drawing anything 'negative' into the deck.

Reversed does not equate bad or negative after all.

If you are drawing a particular card with regularity I would check the cards above and below the card as well, depending on the material of the cards sometimes they have atendency to divide and adhere from touch and use, a thorough, gentle shuffling allowing air flow in the cards ensures they are free to give their meanings truly, decks that have been in boxes for a time before use are usually where this hits but can also crop up if you use a method involving splitting the deck to draw cards.

If the card seems to be calling out to your or your girlfriend do a reading centred around it. It may be that card is your tether to that deck or it may mean that it is trying to convey something to you.

Very well said, exactly what I was thinking :)

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#50 Crazengraht

Crazengraht

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies and advice!
Maybe using the reverse will give me more complete readings. I will try and see how it goes.

One is me, Two is ideal,
Three I fade, Four is either (2x2 or 3+1)
From five I lead, In the Shadow more often than not...
Don't Dream it, Be it!

#51 Ian

Ian

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

Be sure to consider the deck. While you can learn to use the tarot with any set of cards, it has been my experience that people tend to learn them better when they have a deck that they really feel an affinity for. Trying to teach a witch, who has no interest in Qabalah, with a Golden Dawn derived tarot, can be a real pain.
Voldemort was framed!

#52 Sparrow

Sparrow

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

I have the Rider-Waite deck, I love the colouring on it. But the Minors just don't speak to me very much at all -- I get frustrated trying to interpret them. I know they would add many, many nuances to a reading and perhaps in the future I would start working with them, but for now I have had a great deal more success using only the Majors for my workings. I use the cards both as a focus in my spells/rituals: I usually select three, the problem, the process and my desired outcome; and I do readings with them too, though I prefer my pendulum for divination. Mainly I just use the Majors to help with my focus, but sometimes I like to keep a card with me for a few days if I feel I need to learn its "lesson", so to speak.
"All knowledge is worth having."