- - - - -

Tarot cards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hajnalka_*

Guest_Hajnalka_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a deck of tarot cards i bought a while back.. Ive not really every used them - mainly because of lack of time and involvement in Hinduism for the last few years...

Lately ive had the feeling that id like to start learning them again.. i have a book and i plan to stick with the basic 22 card deck for now ( the full set just boggles my mind)

Im just wondering if anyone has any tips for using or learning them ?? I think i have some talent for clairvoyance - but i dont know where to start with channeling that through cards... ive experimented with other forms of divination in the past but cards seem most attractive to me...

id like advice on how often i should use my cards, when its ok to do readings for myself, when can i read for other poeple ? if any one can offer any tips on how to get started id be really greatfull..

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Search the forums for "tarot". We've had some rather lengthy discussions related to this topic in the past.

Jevne

#3 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

A book I'd like to recommend which has helped me learn the Tarot is The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot - EVER!! by Dusty White. I know, the book title alone makes a big claim, but really this book delivers.

There is also Joan Bunning's free online tarot course at www.learntarot.com, which you can also purchase in book form.

The one tip I can offer is to be patient with yourself and don't expect to learn everything in a couple of weeks – it's going to take time and a lot of practice. Start by drawing a single card each day, this will help you familiarize yourself with the card meanings. Also try to notice if anything that happens during your day corresponds with the card drawn. I found that matching up actual events to the card meanings really helped make the meanings more concrete for me. HTH :D

#4 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

Search the forums for "tarot". We've had some rather lengthy discussions related to this topic in the past.

Jevne

Get comfy while your at it, and have a libation and something to munch on. That particular forum thread is vast. You will come away from this nourished and enlightened, not to mention not " parched ".. :smile:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#5 JessicaAFM

JessicaAFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:18 AM

If the old tarot thread is still open, I am going to bump it because I had something I wanted to bring to the table at another site, but I am still on limited access so I don't have the rights to post on the particular thread yet.

My suggestion though is to look up different meanings for the same card. There is a vast number of authors and they sometimes differ in opinion and the cards themselves may not have the same symbolism, depending on artist and style. Ultimately, your interpretation of the symbols in each card is what matters. If you see or feel something with a card that your guide book says otherwise, I would go with your interpretation. The images are triggers for the psyche, you are the translator. I hope that makes sense.

Jessica

#6 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

I do intuitive readings. I never learnt the meanings or consult a book, I just let the card tell me a story and then determine it's meaning according to where it has fallen in the spread and what the overall theme seems to be.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#7 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

I do like the previous poster (Abraxia Thalgus)... Intuitive Readings... For me, there's time where one card will "stand out"... as in, the energies of the card will make it jump out/glow... sorry I don't know how to describe exactly with words what I see and feel... anyway, when for example on of the cards stands out, for me it's the main focus from which all the other cards meaning will tell a story... I have a book of tarot, nonetheless, the best thing for me is to actually let the cards speak for themselves instead of the tarot book telling me any meanings of the cards in questions...

If you let your intuition guide you as to when to do a reading (for yourself or anybody else)... I think that when you feel it's a good time to do a reading... then it's a good time... just listen to yourself (your self) and let the cards tell you what message they're conveying ;)

Just remember to always do what feels right to you and for you ;)

Aika

#8 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

People here might think I'm a little mad for recommending it but you can't go by The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot, it's a brilliant book and helped me out quite a bit when I first began. I also like Ann Moura's Tarot for the Green Witch - she's not everyone's cup of tea but I find this book useful insofar as using the interpretations.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#9 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

I do intuitive readings. I never learnt the meanings or consult a book, I just let the card tell me a story and then determine it's meaning according to where it has fallen in the spread and what the overall theme seems to be.

Isn't this the way they are suppose to be learnt? Don't a lot of the older books out there refer to the deck as a book? You read it like you would a book and relate the pics to yourself. I've heard it referred to as the Devil's picture book.

Brea

#10 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

Good advice from all!
I really relate to what Lela mentioned. I call it tarot contemplation excersise. Draw a card every morning, take some time soaking up all the small details and pictures as well as the colors, write down how you interpret all of these things. Put the card somewhere that you will come across it often during the day and REALLY look at it! Meditate on it and as was also said, at the end og the day, think about whatever relevence it has had with the events of that day. Do this everyday!
You will come to know your deck better then some of the people on your life!! LOL :)
and of course post any questions you may have in the Tarot section here in the forum!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#11 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

My advice is to just totally immerse yourself in tarot. You will find the learning method that is right for you. Do something that is fun for you, whatever method that turns out to be, and most importantly, read, read, read. Read for your cuddly toys, read for fictional characters, read for friends and family, read for yourself. Get online and do exchanges with other readers. Just keep reading. You'll get the hang of it!

ETA: No need to shy away from the full 78-card deck. Go on and go for it! :) If you're attracted to the 22-card deck, you're going to love the full monty!

Edited by Rowan, 05 September 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#12 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

Read for fictional charictures?? Really?
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#13 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:13 AM

Read for fictional charictures?? Really?

Sure. It's fun. Try it some time. :)

#14 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

Sure. It's fun. Try it some time. :)

While I understand the concept of practice makes perfect, I'm wondering what kinds of readings one would get from fictional characters. That is not something I have considered before. My cards and I have a precarious relationship, one that I have no choice, but to take seriously, lest the cards don't "speak" to me. For example, when two specific cards show up in the spread in specific locations, it is my signal that the cards are sick of my shit and to try something else, because I'm not getting anything. Usually, it is a situation where I already know the answer, but I'm trying to force the Tarot to tell me something different.

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:33 AM

While I understand the concept of practice makes perfect, I'm wondering what kinds of readings one would get from fictional characters...

I'm not big on tarot, but I assumed she meant read a spread through a fictional novel, and see if you can get the cards to tell you how the book ends and what happens to each character??

M

#16 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:37 AM

I'm not big on tarot, but I assumed she meant read a spread through a fictional novel, and see if you can get the cards to tell you how the book ends and what happens to each character??

M

Interesting. I had not thought of that.

Thank you.

#17 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

While I understand the concept of practice makes perfect, I'm wondering what kinds of readings one would get from fictional characters. That is not something I have considered before. My cards and I have a precarious relationship, one that I have no choice, but to take seriously, lest the cards don't "speak" to me. For example, when two specific cards show up in the spread in specific locations, it is my signal that the cards are sick of my shit and to try something else, because I'm not getting anything. Usually, it is a situation where I already know the answer, but I'm trying to force the Tarot to tell me something different.

I am professional tarot card reader, and for myself, all practice is good practice. You can do a reading about mythology, fairy tales, a favourite TV character. It's practice. Just pretend the fictional character has asked you something and you are reading for them, as you would for any querent. There's even a book about this by a chap called James Ricklef, called 'Tarot Tells the Tale.' Here's a sample reading done for the Tortoise from the story 'Tortoise and the Hare':

http://www.jamesrick...ple_page_1.html

Doing this helps you learn to relate cards to the question rather than depending solely on book meanings, and helps you learn to string the cards together in a story, which is a key skill for a fluent reader. :)

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

So, in this case, practice relates as much to the presentation of the reading to a client, as to the actual interpretation. That makes sense. Since my interest in Tarot is not professional, my approach and perspective are a little different.

Interesting, indeed.

#19 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

That just boggles my mind! Posted Image

#20 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

I've read tarot professionally as well, and must admit I don't think the logic behind reading for fictional characters is entirely whole.

Considering the majority of fiction is interwoven with a setting and other characters for coherency it often forms a layer which does not contain the free will and depth of an actual person. If you are performing a reading for a recurrent character on a television series or movie then that character is the culmination of several peoples' efforts to envision plausible scenarios and enactments.

There is also no feedback.

It is very different to practice with the self, a friend or form of tutor who can critique, question and help expand your view. To take a relatively flat example such as a fictionaly character and pre-empting the questions they ask and the scenarios you dream up for them can in itself be limiting. It can lead you to expect what SHOULD be asked as opposed to what CAN be asked.