#22 sleepnheat

sleepnheat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Ty for the bump TobaccoFlower!

Very interesting read! I have laid compasses when first starting in the Craft, but not have not done so in a while. I do enjoy rituals with spiritual work, so I may just find myself doing it again soon!

#23 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Bumping as it's interesting and ties in with the discussion about working in a circle. This is very helpful - thank you Michele.

#24 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

I know my own experience prejudiced me to favor working within a circle for it's benefits. My 1st, unsought raw intro to earth-energy went thru me like a dose of salts, feet-to-head &'catapulted me OOB. Being OOB is useful to communing with other dimensions &'to traveling, but not so much for more casual work where focus is needed to set intent into a "container" or spell. I used circles to teach me to direct that raised energy. I find that being inside a circle helps branch the flow of earth energy - something like spokes of an umbrella - so that I'm a conduit. Once in place the energy maintains itself in motion. Quartering with a cross-road balances the (-) and (+) polarities. It's very electrical. Since i was a kid I've occasionally had minor episodes of spontaneous telekinesis when i'd been upset, so i had even more interest in learning energy control.

The mystery feature of circles has been woven within those learning experiences as well. The compass or the circle is the union of the present-self, the god-self, the altar, the Earth-Moon-Sun, and the cosmos; Cycles within cycles, & all the metaphors we associate with circles as Michele has already noted so nicely.

Ive found circles can enhance experiencing even simple magic being done - well heck, I've never done anything complicated like a ceremonialist might do. I do folk magic. Reality shifts are unsettling. Nobody needs a constant dose. Not every circle is going to be a major awakening. It comes in cycles, just like you'd expect. I'm not saying compasses & circles are the only way to work energy control, just that it's the way I'd used. And I'm not saying I'm a whiz-kid at it either; Just that it surely helped me to read my own signals.

Edited by Zombee, 19 July 2018 - 10:21 PM.

#25 steffykaye

steffykaye

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

I work both ways. I seldom cast any sort of protection, focus, or containment when doing regular spell work such as charms, divination, etc. My home and the outdoor place I use are already protected and I seldom feel the need to cast additional protection or focus points. However, if I am doing something that requires or may result in me leaving this plane I will cast a circle or compass to both aid my familiar in guarding my physical body and as a beacon to make sure I find my way back. This is the way I was taught because my family has always been solitary, I think because we are often the only practitioners in an area. I’ve rarely needed that added layer, but feel more comfortable with it during those times.