Coven of the Scales

witchwood

Has anyone read the above named book at all. I've seen it mentioned in a few places but it does not seem to be mainstream which is probably what is attracting me to it. It might be a hidden gem or a load of old tosh. Any one seen it??

Sorry never heard of it until now, it pique's my interest tho.

Regards,

Gypsy

Guest Magdalena

Hi Gypsy.

It does say Melusine Draco is the edtor and A.R. Clay-Egerton is the author, the only other info I can see regarding the contents is " The Collected Writings Of A.R. Clay-Egerton"

Hi Gypsy.

It does say Melusine Draco is the edtor and A.R. Clay-Egerton is the author, the only other info I can see regarding the contents is " The Collected Writings Of A.R. Clay-Egerton"

Hi there Miss Magdalena and Witchwood,

http://www.paperback...e-Draco/author/ I'm not sure on this Anita, but I stumbled on this link that showed several of her books. I also tried to google this author, and it doesn't clarify who this author is, but I found this link http://www.blogger.c...507522470368013, although I have not read this particular book that Witchwood refers too.

Regards,

Gypsy

Guest Magdalena

There is very little information about A.R. Clay-Egerton on the net, there are quite a few places that sell the book though. Bob Clay-Egerton taught Ophidian Traditional Witchcraft, so I should imagine that is what his writings are about and what the book is probably about. Here is a little piece from Wikipedia about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sticky_Parkin/Serpent

Guest Magdalena

Thanks everyone. I've given in to my curiosity (i'm a bit weak like that), and ordered it from amazon for under a tenner so if it's crap i've not lost much. I will update you all once i've read it. x

It would be interesting to know. Excluding the title information, there is zero information on the net about what the book is about. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Magdalena

That's disappointing Witchwood, I had a look for PDF files to download on A.R. Clay-Egerton, but there are none, but how surprised was I to come across many free PDF downloads for Aleister Crowely, Michael W Ford and many many more, that discovery really gave me answers to a few things I have been wondering about for sometime, when I need answers to some things they always find their way to me in the end. LOL.

• 1 year later...

Coven of the Scales is a book written by Melusine Draco that is based on the writings of A R Clay Egerton.

The back cover describes.

Since his death in 1998. the reputation of Alaster"Bob" Clay Egerton has begun to pass into legend alongside other contemporary characters such as Robert Cochrane and Bill Gray.

It was probably easier to say what Bob Clay Egerton wasn't than what he was and, despite having been chums with both Gerald Gardener and Alex Sanders embraced neither Gardanian nor Alexandrian tradition.

He was initiated into old craft in 1941 and into a ritual magic order in 1943 but, contrary to popular belie, he neither knew Aleister Crowley, nore was he a member ofeither the Golden Dawn or the OTO. He was a member of the Templi Satanas Luciferian which, in modern parlance was was a forerunner of the Tubal Cain Luciferian tradition that is currently gaining popularity.

Hopefully these collective writings will strike a responsive cord and cause the reader to think for themselves, Instead of being influenced by the large amount of misinformation that is prevelent in todays occult teaching.

If you can get hold of a copy it is well worth a read. Right to the point, informative and useful. A breath of fresh air from many titles out there.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get hold of a copy it is well worth a read. Right to the point, informative and useful. A breath of fresh air from many titles out there.

Thanks for bumping this. This sentence of yours, in quotes below, in particular, piqued my interest enough to get a copy. I'm curious about its contents.

"Hopefully these collective writings will strike a responsive cord and cause the reader to think for themselves, Instead of being influenced by the large amount of misinformation that is prevelent in todays occult teaching."

I actually found an affordable copy of this right around the time you posted it, and am still waiting to receive it in the mail from the UK. I hope I get it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this book in the mail the other day. The book is not too large and I was able to read it in a day, in between other things I had to do.

This was a really great book, I thought. Not so much because I necessarily agree with everything this gentleman talked about in his writings (Egerton) -but because of how he comes across in his writings-this guy was the real deal, I think-authentic. What struck me as odd actually, is how he is described as being someone that was a bit elusive-in other words "it might be easier to describe what he wasn't, rather than what he was" (as is stated on the back of the book, in so many words).

To me, personally, from what I was able to tell from the selected writings anyway...what I saw was someone who was very clear about what he thought on a number of things. He seemed like the kind of person that didn't hold back and didn't strike me as the elusive type. Certainly very knowledgable and one that knew how to keep a secret ,sure, but also someone who might have been an open book on matters that he could talk about.

Through his writings, he also struck me as someone who had a real intensity and definitely took his craft seriously (and I'd venture to guess, most everything else as well in his life).

Well, overall, the book did make me think and the writings offered me some interesting perspective. This is a book I will keep and reference back to, I'm sure.

I paid $40 for this one and personally felt it was worth it. However, I did recently look on the internet and saw just one copy available for close to $500. I don't think I would have paid a large price like that, for this one. :smile:

Edited by Anara

Finally got this book in the mail the other day. The book is not too large and I was able to read it in a day, in between other things I had to do.

This was a really great book, I thought. Not so much because I necessarily agree with everything this gentleman talked about in his writings-but because of how he comes across in his writings-this guy was the real deal, that is clear to me-authentic. What struck me as odd actually, is how he is described as being someone that was a bit elusive-in other words "it might be easier to describe what he wasn't, rather than what he was" (as is stated on the back of the book, in so many words).

Gone back and forth on this response, Anara. Sorry, about that . . . thought you were referencing the author, who you probably know is a woman http://www.compass-b...ne-ruthven&i=11. I now realize that you might be talking about the writings that the book is based on. Really confusing when someone uses a pseudonym. Not sure who someone is talking about in the response.

J

Edited by Jevne

Gone back and forth on this response, Anara. Sorry, about that . . . thought you were referencing the author, who you probably know is a woman http://www.compass-b...ne-ruthven&i=11. I now realize that you might be talking about the writings that the book is based on. Really confusing when someone uses a pseudonym. Not sure who someone is talking about in the response.

J

Hey Jevne,

No worries-sorry for any confusion. Yes, you are correct- I was referring to Egerton, not Melusine Draco.

Edited by Anara

• 1 month later...

J

Giving this a bump, with hopes of clarity for a NEW Member. Pseudonyms are tricky little things, I think ! Since this author is alluded to in another older Post regarding Coven of the Scales.

Regards,

Gypsy

• 5 months later...

Giving this one a quick bump...was searching for something on Amazon this morning and noticed this usually hard to find book has been recently added to kindle for 6.99! Looks like it was added just earlier this month! Just a heads up to anyone who might have previously thought about searching out a copy, but might have been turned off by the price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDXGY3I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1903768047&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DP7DZAEYAKHRRFDD3DN

Giving this one a quick bump...was searching for something on Amazon this morning and noticed this usually hard to find book has been recently added to kindle for 6.99! Looks like it was added just earlier this month! Just a heads up to anyone who might have previously thought about searching out a copy, but might have been turned off by the price. http://www.amazon.co...ZAEYAKHRRFDD3DN

Yeah I saw this refereed to on another website the other day. Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 year later...