Photo
- - - - -

Where to start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Ok, so i feel i have come to a bit of a dead end now. i know Wicca isn't for me (ive spent the past year studying Witchcraft - most of which was Wicca), and i want to learn TW - and learn the ways of the cunning folk. But as i've seen many of you say, there is no true books written on TW. And i wouldn't know how to find any practitioners or covens if this tradition is so secretive. So, i dont really know where to start on the path given that books are not an option and finding a teacher would be difficult. I live near Glastonbury (a town famous for Witchcraft) but am worried that if i go round asking about practitioners or teachers of TW, that people will get hostile, assuming i'm just a wannabe teen. Believe me im not. I have so much respect for the real practitioners of the craft, i want to learn it because i feel it is a part of me, not to impress friend (most of which, by the way, have no idea of my interest in Witchcraft). I know they might be some people here, who feel reluctant to help what they think as 'i want it all now' teens. Im patient and im willing to work for it!
Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

Ok, so i feel i have come to a bit of a dead end now. i know Wicca isn't for me (ive spent the past year studying Witchcraft - most of which was Wicca), and i want to learn TW - and learn the ways of the cunning folk. But as i've seen many of you say, there is no true books written on TW. And i wouldn't know how to find any practitioners or covens if this tradition is so secretive. So, i dont really know where to start on the path given that books are not an option and finding a teacher would be difficult. I live near Glastonbury (a town famous for Witchcraft) but am worried that if i go round asking about practitioners or teachers of TW, that people will get hostile, assuming i'm just a wannabe teen. Believe me im not. I have so much respect for the real practitioners of the craft, i want to learn it because i feel it is a part of me, not to impress friend (most of which, by the way, have no idea of my interest in Witchcraft). I know they might be some people here, who feel reluctant to help what they think as 'i want it all now' teens. Im patient and im willing to work for it!

Dear Babooshka,

You say that you are not a "wannabe teen" and that you are willing to be "patient" and to "work for it". O.K. If that is the case, you can start by purchasing a nice, sturdy notebook with lots of pages. Next, begin not only searching the forums, but actually READING them. And, when you are finished read them again. Take notes, think about what you have read. Next, go outside among nature and people (both night and day) . . . pay attention. Takes notes, about what you observe, think about what is actually going on.

I have always been a Witch, so I have no idea how one "starts to see with the eyes of a Witch". I just open my eyes, and Ta Da!!!! Others here who came to the Craft later will have a better understanding of the transformation.

Jevne

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

If you want to know where to start, start with your own motives so at least you know what you're looking for. And don't answer me, because this is personal - but answer this to yourself and be brutally honest:

Why do you want to be a witch? And don't give that BS answer about "I've had a calling since I was 2." Martin Luther King, Jr., had a calling. If you want to refer to a calling you will need to define it. WHY are you interested? Do you want to feel special? Are you afraid of dying and you want to know what else is out there? Do you want more control of your life? Do you want more control of others? Do you want to to be "cool?" Do you just enjoy folklore? None of the above is wrong as long as you are honest with yourself. Again, don't post your answer, that way you won't have to censer it. If you want control, then study spells. If you want to know what else is out there, then look to the mystical and/or occult. There are Truths hidden within the workings of craft. If you go for pure spell craft, that is fine and there's nothing wrong with that, but you will get lost in the mundane working. For spells affect mundane outcomes. Magic is a by-product of the deeper mysteries. If you want deeper answers then you have to work with the mysteries.
Re being persistent - you will have to be, lol. Especially if you choose to move past pure spell-craft. There are a million books on spells. Have fun and stop there. If you choose to delve deeper you will hit a million and one dead-ends. Each dead-end is a decision, to stop there or to go forward on pure belief. And many will tell you that faith or belief has no place in the craft, and in one way it doesn't, but until you get to the heart of the mystery, for a while it may well be all you have to go on. :-)

M

#4 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

thanks that actually made quite a bit of sense to me. thankyou :)

#5 Foxfur

Foxfur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi, I only started the other day. Michele and Jevne are right btw, you should start with reading the forums and noting things down. I started with the History and am working my way up from there. Its going to take a while, but I am doing it for answers to the way I am, I used to follow a wiccan culture until I eventually realised It wasn't doing anything for me and was far from the truth of what was really happening to me. Btw, I already posted a "What to start with" Topic in the forum :) it may be of some use to you. If you type in "tools of a witch" in the search at the top it will give you a topic telling you more about tools, but you probably won't need them until later. Why you have joined, to me, is none of my business and if its not for you, you will soon know. Please remember this website is for people with basically magical "qualities" that you either may have or you don't, you will find out as you learn. I already knew and was personally relieved to find such a website with experienced members who knew (or have an idea) what I had been going through since I was young.
Have fun browsing:teehee:

Edited by Georgina Lyons, 24 October 2010 - 09:31 PM.

G. Lyons { Whomever understands life, will understand me}
{ The person who rejects life as it is, cannot ever understand}

#6 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

thanks for your help, ill do that :D

#7 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

OK my personal take on this, if you are really serious get out into nature, feel what is inside you and let the land spirits guide you! If you are truly a witch it is within you, no amount of reading or fancy tools will make a difference. As for the coven I admit I do not know I prefer the solitary life, me, nature and gut instincts, its not let me down yet.
Good luck on your choosen path friend it will come to you.

Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway:

#8 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

OK my personal take on this, if you are really serious get out into nature, feel what is inside you and let the land spirits guide you! If you are truly a witch it is within you, no amount of reading or fancy tools will make a difference. As for the coven I admit I do not know I prefer the solitary life, me, nature and gut instincts, its not let me down yet.
Good luck on your choosen path friend it will come to you.

thanks, im lucky to live amongst lots of countryside. ill do that.