What to start with?

Georgina Lyons

Hi, I know this is not a teaching website but has anyone got any idea of any spells or spellbooks I can obtain in the UK, that are not wiccan? And is there a good beginners spell to practice? I stopped when I was 13 after a love spell for a friend went wrong ( she put a restraint order on the guy) and haven't tried since then.

And is there anything Important that I need? (wand, etc?):thanks:

Guest loki1980

Hi, I know this is not a teaching website but has anyone got any idea of any spells or spellbooks I can obtain in the UK, that are not wiccan? And is there a good beginners spell to practice? I stopped when I was 13 after a love spell for a friend went wrong ( she put a restraint order on the guy) and haven't tried since then.

best thing you can do to learn is have another traditonal take you under there wing, and just read some threads on here, spells go wrong every now and again, you have to cast your spell like you writing it for a thick person, and make sure it cant be "abused in any way". i mena over exagerated by the forses we use.

Don't mean to put a damper on your enthusiasm but after just joining yesterday, you're asking us for spells or spellbooks and "good beginners' spells"?

It seems to me you haven't made an effort to read much on this site at all. There are several threads regarding good books to read. Some may be Wiccan-flavored but you can pick & choose what resonates with you, personally. There are also threads that discuss tools ... whether you need them, what people like to use, etc.

Read first. Ask questions later.

Don't mean to put a damper on your enthusiasm but after just joining yesterday, you're asking us for spells or spellbooks and "good beginners' spells"?

It seems to me you haven't made an effort to read much on this site at all. There are several threads regarding good books to read. Some may be Wiccan-flavored but you can pick & choose what resonates with you, personally. There are also threads that discuss tools ... whether you need them, what people like to use, etc.

Read first. Ask questions later.

I have been reading the forums, but must not have come across them yet. I am also concerned, because this is not the first time I have tried to find help in books, but I haven't been able to get hold of any. My local librarian is alway saying there isn't anything in stock that I havent already read. And since messing up a spell when I was younger, I am preparing to take it steady. Now I know there are already threads somewhere that tell me some books and tools then I will search deeper. Don't worry, you haven't curbed my enthusiasm lol I just made a mistake of asking before I had searched all the forums. Sorry for making you have to write that. I just been going through what has been written in the forums anyway, I will keep my eye out for the bit that mentions tools. If i don't find it then will type it in the search.

For beginner information I suggest looking at every newb book their is. I say this because a lot of them have some good info in them on where to start, it's just flavoured to the author's tastes. The best thing you can do is start practicing, because practice makes perfect. You need to do a few things, figure out what works for you and what doesn't, get rid of what doesn't and keep what does. From there you'll be able to start adapting any info you find to your practice and you will be able to truly make your practice your own. Don't be afraid of screwing up, it happens, even to people who've been doing these things for a long time. I also say to start out with the basics of supplies, a few white candles, some incense f your choosing to set you magical mood and maybe a few herbs from the kitchen if need be. Also, practice your meditation and focusing. That will really help you.

best thing you can do to learn is have another traditonal take you under there wing

Heh, I have to say you'd probably be very hard pushed to find one! ;) IMHO, the best way to learn is read, think, meditate, think, experiment, think. Give it time; learning the Craft is a life long thing, not a crash course. And did I already mention thinking? Thinking for yourself, not asking for someone to pour the information in your head. Figure things out. Build your own path and follow it. You don't need anyone but You—though a broad selection of books, internet sources and an excellent forum never hurt anyone :happy:

hi Georgina,

heres a little story i was told a while ago, its native american in origin i believe,

when the great spirits were deciding where to hide all the secrets to life including the secrets of magic they could not decide where to hide them, the whale gods said lets hide the secrets at the bottom of the ocean, but the great spirit said no man will fish the waters to death, the owl gods of the night said lets hide the secrets on the moon, the great spirit said no man will eventually reach the moon and destroy that too, then the little mouse god who was the greatest at secrecy said to the great spirit hide the secrets within man themselves they will never think of looking there....

i guess the moral of the story is that everything we could ever wish to know is inside us, magick is the free flowing will of the heart its not something that can be fully learned from books, as a book is someone elses truth not yours, however one of the best books i have read that has helped me is by a lady called Cassandra Eason, and the book is called Cassandra Easons Complete book of natural magick,

this would be a good place to start but like everything else this is just my truth see if it feels right to you ..

ravenwolf.

heres a little story i was told a while ago, its native american in origin i believe,

when the great spirits were deciding where to hide all the secrets to life including the secrets of magic they could not decide where to hide them, the whale gods said lets hide the secrets at the bottom of the ocean, but the great spirit said no man will fish the waters to death, the owl gods of the night said lets hide the secrets on the moon, the great spirit said no man will eventually reach the moon and destroy that too, then the little mouse god who was the greatest at secrecy said to the great spirit hide the secrets within man themselves they will never think of looking there....

Love that story!

RW that is so true, I wasted so long until a certain lady on here told me listen to ur insides! If it is anywhere magic and intent r within you!

• 1 month later...

hi Georgina,

i guess the moral of the story is that everything we could ever wish to know is inside us, magick is the free flowing will of the heart its not something that can be fully learned from books, as a book is someone elses truth not yours, however one of the best books i have read that has helped me is by a lady called Cassandra Eason, and the book is called Cassandra Easons Complete book of natural magick,

this would be a good place to start but like everything else this is just my truth see if it feels right to you ..

ravenwolf.

I just love this post...an so true.

Every now an again I fiind something out an its almost like it was there all the time , hidden away. An that I just didn't remember it...or couldn't recall it to mind.

Probably not explaining myself very well. Sorry, wish I was a more accomplished writer.

But like this post anyway.

I just love this post...an so true.

Every now an again I fiind something out an its almost like it was there all the time , hidden away. An that I just didn't remember it...or couldn't recall it to mind.

Probably not explaining myself very well. Sorry, wish I was a more accomplished writer.

But like this post anyway.

Funny how the Truths actually pop up in most beliefs systems (one good way to decide what is a "real" truth and what is BS is by seeing in what other belief systems they pop up!). Here we are talking about a Native American story about "having all we need to know already inside us" and I read this just after posting and a Luciferian/LHP thread on the "Shadow" post - the shadow being the "basic you" that knows everything you don't know you know and isn't affected by cultures and incarnations. It always amazes me how cross-cultural the simple, basic, truths are!

M

" Every animal is a gateway to the phenomenal world of the human spirit. What most people fail to realize is that what they think of animals reflects the way they think of themselves. "

Ted Andrews

Regards,

Gypsy

Archived