• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Considering that the cards can be interpreted many ways depending on your life circumstances I don't think that the mere action of laying them out would set anything in motion. The cards are too general for that, there is no catalyst, and no intended outcome unless interpreted.

Also, on the same vein, I tend to not use tarot that often because you can interpret it many different ways depending on your life circumstances. I prefer to just sit down and have a conversation with either myself, a spirit or a person and work through my shit. I have never had anyone read for me that has told me something I don't already know. As for reading for others, I don't see a point in it. I find that tarot is something some people have a potential to get addicted to. To me its their journey, let them walk it.

#42 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

I find tarot readers who go in with preconceptions and look for cards to fit them frustrating. To me, if you are using Tarot for guidance and enlightenment you should be prepared to open your mind to all the interpretations offered in a spread. I've met the odd reader who just looks to affirm that they already believe and I really can't see why they bother shuffling the deck if their mind is only open to be told what they believe already.

I get affirmation readings, sometimes, and take it to mean that I am on the right track. This is, however, one of the reasons that I do not perform daily readings, as I generally trust what I already believe, making any confirmation that the cards might provide technically unnecessary and redundant. In essence, this makes me feel that I am wasting my and my guide's time and energy.

Some people might need that confidence boost, though. I take the last part of the comment above to mean that the person is only open to hearing what they want to hear. I will admit that I sometimes ignore the reading, but only because I have the confidence to change the outcome. I wonder what happens to people who lack confidence that get "bad" readings. If all someone is looking for is a pat on the head and all is right with your little universe, wouldn't a less than perfect reading make that person even less confident?

#43 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Some people might need that confidence boost, though. I take the last part of the comment above to mean that the person is only open to hearing what they want to hear. I will admit that I sometimes ignore the reading, but only because I have the confidence to change the outcome. I wonder what happens to people who lack confidence that get "bad" readings. If all someone is looking for is a pat on the head and all is right with your little universe, wouldn't a less than perfect reading make that person even less confident?

I think using the reading constructively with the knowledge you can and will change the outcome can be a useful tool for the experienced witch and I can see how the Tarot has value for you in terms of guiding you into taking control of your own actions.

However, where I would be more wary is with the people who seek to mould their readings into a path they find acceptable... I'll give you an example, I did an indepth spread for a friend the other day, linked all the cards together into a cohesive reading and got him involved in sharing his own interpretations and how he felt they linked to his life. The outcome was positive but implied a deal more work was necessary on his part and that what he wanted to achieve would not necessarily be a walk in the park. He sat back and studied the spread, thought for a minute and then just grabbed another card from the deck, asking "So how about this, does that make it better?" (Grrrr)

My point is that he wasn't open to the information I had taken time and effort to share with me, he just wanted reassurance that everything would be good. He's have happily gone through every card in the deck until he got one that assured the outcome he wanted. Which would be a bit pointless in my view. He went into the reading with a preconceived idea of what he wanted to be told. When the cards didn't match what he wanted to be told, he disregarded the actual advice and proceeded to seek validation of is own pre conceived ideas. To my mind this renders the whole experience useless for him. Unless he can prise his mind open and take the actual advice on board, there is no value in him using the tarot.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#44 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think using the reading constructively with the knowledge you can and will change the outcome can be a useful tool for the experienced witch and I can see how the Tarot has value for you in terms of guiding you into taking control of your own actions.

However, where I would be more wary is with the people who seek to mould their readings into a path they find acceptable... I'll give you an example, I did an indepth spread for a friend the other day, linked all the cards together into a cohesive reading and got him involved in sharing his own interpretations and how he felt they linked to his life. The outcome was positive but implied a deal more work was necessary on his part and that what he wanted to achieve would not necessarily be a walk in the park. He sat back and studied the spread, thought for a minute and then just grabbed another card from the deck, asking "So how about this, does that make it better?" (Grrrr)

My point is that he wasn't open to the information I had taken time and effort to share with me, he just wanted reassurance that everything would be good. He's have happily gone through every card in the deck until he got one that assured the outcome he wanted. Which would be a bit pointless in my view. He went into the reading with a preconceived idea of what he wanted to be told. When the cards didn't match what he wanted to be told, he disregarded the actual advice and proceeded to seek validation of is own pre conceived ideas. To my mind this renders the whole experience useless for him. Unless he can prise his mind open and take the actual advice on board, there is no value in him using the tarot.

This bothers me a little. Everyone reads and interprets the cards in different ways, especially those that memorize what the cards mean. I wouldn't want to push my interpretation of someone's life situations on someone if they were not open to it and/or hadn't sought me out for that purpose. This does sounds like a big waste of time for both parties. Tarot has its value but I think its a tool that is over used in this day and age and can be damaging in some situations.

#45 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

This bothers me a little. Everyone reads and interprets the cards in different ways, especially those that memorize what the cards mean. I wouldn't want to push my interpretation of someone's life situations on someone if they were not open to it and/or hadn't sought me out for that purpose. This does sounds like a big waste of time for both parties. Tarot has its value but I think its a tool that is over used in this day and age and can be damaging in some situations.

I'd agree with you wholeheartedly Whiterose if it wasn't for the fact that when I do a reading, I really look for the questionner to come up with their own interpretation of the cards. This bloke wasn't really rejecting my (lol) "wisdom" as much as the interpretation and understanding he had discovered and articulated himself over the course of the reading. My frustration wasn't so much that he didn't like my reading of the cards - there are many equally valid ways to interpret, some which differ greatly to my own - my frustration was more that he didn't want to stop until he got the answer he wanted. I personally think there is little value in just keeping going until the cards validate your own preconceived views. There's no point using divinatory tools if you reject all the advice in favour of - I'll just keep turning cards over until I get the one I want.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#46 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

..... my frustration was more that he didn't want to stop until he got the answer he wanted. I personally think there is little value in just keeping going until the cards validate your own preconceived views. There's no point using divinatory tools if you reject all the advice in favour of - I'll just keep turning cards over until I get the one I want.

I'll agree with that.

#47 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

This is a great topic, because I'm sure we all, as individuals, percieve the mass array of different decks in our own way, just as with any other forms of divination. I've really been wanting to share my thoughts & haven't been able to take the time to express myself so you all can get to know me a bit better because of perpetual personal chaos, and I really want to apologize for that. But here is my experience.

When I first started trying to understand the Tarot back in the mid 1970's, all I had to work with was a regular old playing deck and the basic meanings of the suits & numbers. It all boils down to the correspondances of the basic elements (hearts/cups = water or love & emotion, spades/swords = communication...yadayada) and the numbers boiled down to basic numerology.

For a bit, I had a beginners Rider-Waite deck with the meanings of the cards inblack & white print imposed on a very basic image. THEN....I got my Celestial deck that spoke to me in many other ways. I have always been into astrology (again, self taught & done my way (I do not suffice to natal astrology, but to present time astrological, and planetary influences. In the beginning, I did readings by going through the basic meanings until the images started telling thier own story, much like reading a picture story. Beyond that, I really started looking even deeper into the relationship & coellesence of all the ways that they all relate to each other. Meaning that the cards, themselves, in the images that they displayed, were all relative to not only the tarot meanings, but astrologically, elements, mythology (Greek * Egyptian), as well as the Tree of Life, Kabalistically, and Hermetic Theurgy.

Now adays... I really don't do readings for others, but for myself. Even if it's a daily draw, to see what I'm dealing with, or if I know someone that I want to get a bigger picture of. It's been awhile since I've done a full spread.

In workings, I will sometimes choose a card of focus, depending on my intent. Seeing all the relating symbolic energies in a single image is extremely helpful to me.

#48 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

I want to comment on what some people said earlier about getting little response from Rider decks. I started learning with a Rider-Waite deck when I first began, because it seemed like a good deck to learn with. I learned pretty slowly but eventually got the hang of it. When I bought my other decks, I found that after a short break I could get absolutely nothing from my first Rider-Waite deck. I highly suspect that it is related to the imagery; compared to the more artistic decks I use, Rider-Waite is very "dry" and I find myself struggling to be inspired to read deeper in to the matter.

Along with that, I also think when I graduated my skill level I was also leaving behind my training wheels, so to speak. I very sadly think one of my decks has just "died" on me and it may be time to get another, which will be an interesting experience. Also;

Speaking of spells and tarot. Do you think that laying out the cards in a reading is setting those things in the cards to happen (as in spell)? I suspect not, unless one does the reading with that intention.

Thoughts/experiences welcome!

When I first read this yesterday (lurking), my immediate thought was that I definitely hope a reading does not "set" things to happen. If that was the case I would rather not read at all and just let life whoosh me around without any (potentially unwanted) events "set" out for me. I primarily read for situations I want to change, so if I understand your hypothetical question correctly, this would mean we should only read about situations we want to have no control over and never read for things we want to alter or effect. I also think that as a divination system, tarot just tells you things, it doesn't make things. When my predictions have occurred (at least the ones I am aware of) it is always because the person made no effort to change the situation. Perhaps it does psychologically 'set' some people because they give up responsibility to change things once they think they are destined to happen.

However, laying out specifically chosen cards as faux-reading as part of a spell may be really interesting to tinker with.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#49 faedragon

faedragon

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

I believe Tarot and cartomancy show you the current energies and where they will likely lead. If someone doesn't like what they are getting-- it's very simple to say --" if i do this, what will the path be now?" If the outcome looks better -- it's often just a matter of using free will to change the course of the path. But if the answer is still not great -- then it's likely just a situation that just won't work out in your favor.

I also believe reading cards is a very personal thing. Sometimes they literally SPEAK TO YOU-- and other times especially if you're new at it -- using the actual definitions might bring about more clarity. But I believe cards are a very personal tool-- once you become adept at reading them -- you can decide what certain cards means xxx to you -- and the cards will give you information based on those definitions.

#50 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

I believe Tarot and cartomancy show you the current energies and where they will likely lead. If someone doesn't like what they are getting-- it's very simple to say --" if i do this, what will the path be now?" If the outcome looks better -- it's often just a matter of using free will to change the course of the path. But if the answer is still not great -- then it's likely just a situation that just won't work out in your favor.

I also believe reading cards is a very personal thing. Sometimes they literally SPEAK TO YOU-- and other times especially if you're new at it -- using the actual definitions might bring about more clarity. But I believe cards are a very personal tool-- once you become adept at reading them -- you can decide what certain cards means xxx to you -- and the cards will give you information based on those definitions.

I'm not sure how other people read, but my cards always literally speak to me, and whenever I use the cards to speak to a third party, they are always speaking directly to me as well. I feel you do not mean that cards carry on a conversation with an absent party when you try to read them, but I'm not sure what you do mean. Could you clarify? If your cards are not speaking to you, how do you communicate?

[avatar source]

#51 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

I've never used the Rider Waite deck even though I know it is considered a great beginner deck. Personally I find no attachment or inspiration with the deck - my hard and fast rule has always been - for tarot and oracle cards - that the deck must literally scream at you "buy me" because if you don't have that reaction to a deck - likely you won't be able to read with it - however this is just my personal experience. I don't use tarot every day - I mean to, 'specially since I sort of started (haphazardly) a tarot blog but anyways. I'm lucky in that, the times I have read for other people, I've been told I'm incredibly accurate which is nice. I like tarot as a tool, also oracle (being a herbalist I like to look at The Druid Plant Oracle), and I will try to use it more.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#52 faedragon

faedragon

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I'm not sure how other people read, but my cards always literally speak to me, and whenever I use the cards to speak to a third party, they are always speaking directly to me as well. I feel you do not mean that cards carry on a conversation with an absent party when you try to read them, but I'm not sure what you do mean. Could you clarify? If your cards are not speaking to you, how do you communicate?

Have you ever asked a question and the message just didn't really seem to make much sense? So you had to really think about what they are trying to tell you? (i.e not speaking to you) And have you ever done a reading where as soon as you laid the cards -- the energy overtook you and explained clearly what it was that you wanted to know? (i.e speaking to you) That's what I mean. :)

#53 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

Have you ever asked a question and the message just didn't really seem to make much sense? So you had to really think about what they are trying to tell you? (i.e not speaking to you) And have you ever done a reading where as soon as you laid the cards -- the energy overtook you and explained clearly what it was that you wanted to know? (i.e speaking to you) That's what I mean. :smile:

Ah, I think I get what you mean. I am not sure I would adopt your terminology as my cards always 'speak to me', but there are times when I confuse the issue by asking a stupid question or influencing the cards myself and the spread cannot be read because there is no real information there.

[avatar source]

#54 doggertynation

doggertynation

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

I must be the odd ball here, I love the Rider deck. I feel it is very important, if you choose cards as your divinary, to be at one with the imagery or it will be much struggle understanding what they are trying to say. I am not a huge fan of the little books that come along with the decks and if you are a beginner I highly suggest feeling out your own meanings untill you are comfortable with the cards and at least a little familiar before you read anything. In my reading I have found that most times the standard meaning is irrelevent and the postions and interrelations speak much louder between the cards themselves.
As you become more in tune with your cards you find the meanings growing and evolving. I feel like it is a very organic tool, possibly that is why I love it :)

As to using the cards in spells I never really thought about that- very interesting. I believe that the cards read energy coming and going so I suppose it could harness that energy and add power to spells. I need to experiment with that thought. Thank you very much. Much to ponder.....

#55 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I've never used the Rider Waite deck even though I know it is considered a great beginner deck. Personally I find no attachment or inspiration with the deck - my hard and fast rule has always been - for tarot and oracle cards - that the deck must literally scream at you "buy me" because if you don't have that reaction to a deck - likely you won't be able to read with it - however this is just my personal experience. I don't use tarot every day - I mean to, 'specially since I sort of started (haphazardly) a tarot blog but anyways. I'm lucky in that, the times I have read for other people, I've been told I'm incredibly accurate which is nice. I like tarot as a tool, also oracle (being a herbalist I like to look at The Druid Plant Oracle), and I will try to use it more.

I am new to Tarot, and pretty much everything else regarding witchcraft, and I believe in what you have said about finding a deck that calls out to you. So I have been to many shops and websites and it truly for me is the Rider deck. I really love those illustrations. So glad this topic came up because just a few days ago I told myself that this week I am going to start learning tarot. Despite what Doggy has said, for me, I feel the best way to learn the basics is to read about it. I have done everything else that way so far and it's been working. Don't get me wrong I have played with the cards before and am familiar with them but I have never tried to read them before. So here goes nothing! Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#56 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

I love tarot. I purchased a deck at random at some fluffy store years ago just on a whim. I grabbed this deck without giving it too much thought (hanson-roberts) but this particular deck has become my main one. I feel an incredible connection with it to the point that it almost feels like I am "cheating" on it if I use another lol. I'm also weird about people touching my cards.

Over the years I've picked up a few more. The art alone makes the purchases worthwhile. Some I've never read with or have even really opened though... I think the only other deck that has ever called me to use it has been the Thoth deck, to be honest. I've used my casanova deck as well but I usually don't have the urge to do so.

Edited by OpheliaRose, 06 December 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#57 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

So just jumping into this thread (I can't believe I hadn't replied to it before). I have been reading tarot for 16 years. I started with a deck called the witch's tarot. I liked the look and feel of the cards, but it was a difficult deck to "get" as it only has pip cards in its suits. I then moved onto other decks, and I have settled in with three specific decks. 

The deviant moon, thoth, and robin wood. I have other decks that I will occasionally bring out and read, but usually just to see how they feel and "read". 

As far as how often I read the cards for myself, it happens when i feel it is necessary. Sometimes it can be once a week for a few months. And sometimes I won't read them for myself but once a month or once every couple of months. I do read for other people rather consistently, though. 

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#58 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:01 AM

If I get to the point at which I cannot figure out for myself what mundane and/or magical steps need to be taken in a given situation, I may resort to some form of divination, but usually as a last resort.

Jevne

This is what I do with divination as well! Although I am starting to practice divination a lot more now because I just got two new amazing tarot decks, which sparked somethig in me. I love my Thoth deck, but I just get excited about new decks because I find the artwork on them amazing!! I've heard that a lot of Wiccans use divination before doing magical work just in case.  Honestly, I don't worry about it when doing magical work unless I don't know what to do in a certain situation, which is why I quoted Jevne.  

Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#59 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

I practice with Tarot regularly and enjoy reading for others. People tell me that I am accurate. I ask them to keep their questions to themselves- otherwise- (as these are generally people who I know- some quite well), I can end up with a reading skewed to my opinions.

For the most part,I use oracles to interepret the events of the day and to clarify the way things look going forward. Don't read reversals; just try to look at both the up, and down side of the card. Also like to look at Tarot based spells; using the cards for focus or to direct energy towards a certain event or action.

Have lots of decks; change them seasonally, sometimes one or another will call to me. Some I haven't worked with in a while. I've never felt an affinity to the Rider Waite- gave mine away.

Also an aside, I am careful of how I put them away and ensure that "positive energy" cards i.e. World, Sun whatever I want to attract are on the top and bottom of the deck.

Edited by Belwenda, 03 December 2013 - 05:41 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#60 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Is there really such a thing as positive cards? The sun could give you a bad sunburn, or scorch your plants. The world could mean a negative has manifested. But, if you are assigning the meaning to those card, then I guess it would work for you.

I think there can be cards that mean happy, happy for the reader when it comes up because thats the way they look at that card(s). For me, the 3S is always a negative card because that's the way I view that particular card.