• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I've never studied what the cards are supposed to mean. It has always been do the spread, pick up which card I feel drawn to and let it tell me a story. I do have some knowledge of symbolism in general, not specific to tarot and that can kick me off, but generally the card has it's own story to tell for that person. I have seen the same card come up several times for different readings and each time it had a different meaning. I did buy rider-waite a couple of years ago because I thought I should, not because I felt called to it and I've only read with them once, they just left me cold. My advice would be work more on strengthening intuition.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#22 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I use a mixture of personal intuition and traditional associations. I read for myself but not too often as I find multiple readings in a short space of time blur the messages for me. I read for other people and I like the person who I am reading for to get involved and interpret the cards for themselves as well. I read from several decks (like others I've never really got along with Rider Waite though I used it for years). I read primarily now from the Pagan 2000 deck - it started off as my travelling deck but as we built up a rapport it took top spot as my deck of choice.

I find tarot readers who go in with preconceptions and look for cards to fit them frustrating. To me, if you are using Tarot for guidance and enlightenment you should be prepared to open your mind to all the interpretations offered in a spread. I've met the odd reader who just looks to affirm that they already believe and I really can't see why they bother shuffling the deck if their mind is only open to be told what they believe already.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#23 Saoirse

Saoirse

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Tarot is just another tool that can be made use of, or not. I have used it for over 20 years and cannot imagine life without it now.

Learning book meanings is just a beginning.... but one that I believe is important. Readings done purely on intutition and by allowing the images to simply speak to the reader are certainly valid, but how much more could be gotten out of the reading by knowing and understanding the original meanings and thoughts behind each card?

My reading method is pretty much based on:
33% knowledge and study of the history, symbolisim and iconography of the tarot
33% experience gained from many, many years of cards readings and of what that the cards have come to mean personally to me
33% intuition or, allowing the images to "speak"
1% something inexplicable that happens in the moment of the reading that allows the process to work. Some might call this "magic".

Edited by Saoirse, 25 December 2012 - 01:29 PM.

"Truth will pass through fire but will not burn"

#24 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

We have discussed this subject before, but I'll weigh in. Understand what I say is true for me, most definitely not all Witches. I can and do read Tarot, but I have a few personal rules in regards to the practice. I will never ask another person (Witch or otherwise) to read my cards. It's a waste of time, because I can make the cards say whatever I want. I used to enjoy freaking people out with that one. They think I have the most terrible or lustful future of any living person (hehe). Most of the "professional" Tarot card readers eventually figured it out and won't read for me anymore. They accused me of mocking them, which is an accurate assessment.

That said, I learned the Tarot from my grandmother, who taught me that the cards' meanings change in context to the surrounding cards. These days I mostly feel my way through the deck. Before I say this, I already know that many people disagree, but I was taught to not charge for using my Craft gifts. I'm not saying that Witches who make their living by reading Tarot or providing other psychic services are bad people, so retract the claws, my Witchy friends. I just cannot do it. For ME, it cheapens the whole experience. If I get to the point at which I cannot figure out for myself what mundane and/or magical steps need to be taken in a given situation, I may resort to some form of divination, but usually as a last resort.

Jevne

I find this sentence is in line with the way I practice. I don't do divination every day or even every week. I consult the cards when I get in to a place in my life that I need a little extra help to figure things out. In my line of thinking, if I consulted the cards everyday for every little nuance in my life I would be showing the spirits that I am weak and I need constant help. I would much rather figure things out on my own with the occasional use of the cards.

#25 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I find this sentence is in line with the way I practice. I don't do divination every day or even every week. I consult the cards when I get in to a place in my life that I need a little extra help to figure things out. In my line of thinking, if I consulted the cards everyday for every little nuance in my life I would be showing the spirits that I am weak and I need constant help. I would much rather figure things out on my own with the occasional use of the cards.

Yes. Witches have to be able to hold their own, so to speak. Everyone has their own methods and allies (to use a CG term), but I have learned that mine really do not tolerate weakness.

#26 blaquecinder

blaquecinder

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I've never even had an urge to go out and buy a deck my deck just kind of showed up a few years ago and for a few years I did nothing with them but shuffle them from time to time and look at the pictures or look at the book it came with. Than one day not to long ago I decided to do my first reading and it was right on the money I didn't even know what kind of spread I should do I just went with it. After I posted it on on here and got a few responses turned out that the spread I used wasn't one I just made up and its said to be used for the exact reason why I used it. My advice to you ophelia on top of what ever you're learning in your classes and from what great tips and tricks you get from here is to just let it flow. Don't force it let your intuition guide you. I'm still fairly new to it myself but I have found that those times when it just feels to be "flowing" out of me when it feels to be as natural as breathing is when "the magic happens" :wink: !! (for me at least) I did the journal thing to and I told myself at least once a week I was going to do a reading and for a few weeks I did but I quickly learned that if it's not accompanied by that itch by that urge to just "let it flow" than I can't really resonate with the entire process. Just let it flow keep learning all you can from where you can and when you have that itch that urge just go with it even if it goes against everything you have learned or its something you haven't learned just go with it open minded, trusting your intuition, I'm sure you'll be most satisfied, surprised, enlightened, and what ever else you can think of with those results (I know I am). I've never read for anyone else but reading for myself has been one of the best things I've ever done (FOR MYSELF) but that's just me I know its different for everyone. (I don't know if any of that made sense to anyone but that's how it is with me)

Edited by blaquecinder, 26 December 2012 - 08:37 AM.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." J.R.R. Tolkien

#27 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I tried tarot and its not for me.

I once made my own set of cards and used them for a while, but again its not really a way I have stuck to using.

But I do have a friend who makes good use of tarot, its obviously a matter of whatever tools fit in best with each individual.

I have used a pendulum on various occasions with good results, but again its not something I am drawn to use very often.

#28 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Quick note: When someone has "guest" before their name, they may be able to see a comment, but they will be unable to respond or give feedback. The person may have voluntarily stopped participating in the Forum or was removed. :)

#29 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

It is not convenient or safe to carry around my private deck, but these tiny beauties, I can easily conceal.

Jevne, just wondering if you would mind expanding on this a bit. How is it not safe for you?

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

Jevne, just wondering if you would mind expanding on this a bit. How is it not safe for you?

Well, I value my privacy and tend to be distrustful. I work with a personal deck designed especially for me, that I do not want being physically or spiritually "touched" by anyone. I am weird like that. I don't want "ordinaries" all up in my business. :D

#31 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Well, I value my privacy and tend to be distrustful. I work with a personal deck designed especially for me, that I do not want being physically or spiritually "touched" by anyone. I am weird like that. I don't want "ordinaries" all up in my business. :biggrin:

We must be related ;)

#32 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Rather than try to explain why I do not find it necessary to read Tarot everyday on the other thread, possibly derailing it . . . I'll just bump this. :D

#33 Guest_lunabelle_*

Guest_lunabelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

okay, I just read your first posts regarding this and omg. I did figure this out early on. I have the same knack of making cards show up that I want to show up.....I have never heard this addressed before. I still read every day though. and I make myself take the first read. even if I don't like it. If I really want to know something, I know this sounds cheap and crazy but I go to ifate and do the runes which I have intentionally not studied so I have no preconceived understanding of them. They always speak the truth. I do this rarely so I don't get familiar with them. I think there is a lot of truth in the tarot but I have noticed before when I wanted certain answers they would show up which made me feel like I was controlling the cards rather than them telling me the truth. I also use pennies for yes or no answers and I make myself close my eyes so my mind can not register which side of the penny I am picking up so that sub. I know what side is spinning. Just my insanity but I get what you are saying and thank you for saying it. I also never let anyone touch my deck. I spilt something on my old one and threw it out because of course my little computer of a mind registered what stains were on the cards......lol.

#34 Guest_lunabelle_*

Guest_lunabelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

example....laura is drunk and stoned and passes out missing the wood stove by about 8 inches on a hard tile floor.....me to the cards......is getting stoned and drunk a good thing? high priestess and the empress show up along with the queen of cups (my card) lol....true story.

#35 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

. . . but I go to ifate and do the runes which I have intentionally not studied so I have no preconceived understanding of them. They always speak the truth. I do this rarely so I don't get familiar with them.. . .

What is "ifate"? Is that a runic reference? I don't work with runes, so curious. I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Clarify?

#36 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I don't use my tarot every day. I don't have the need to. It's rare that I feel drawn to use my cards for myself. I normally use them when I need insight on another person or possibly a situation. While I love my dragon deck, I think I'm going to start working a personalized one for myself. It'll be a long journey because I want to put thought into each card.

#37 Micheál

Micheál

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Had a bigger reply written until I noticed the date of the thread....so don't even know if my response has a point now, but for sh*ts&grins...

Now depends on what time&culture we're talking about, but if we're employing that in which our labels were in use, yes witches have used Tarot. The repeal of the 1736? I think Witchcraft Act took away a lot of the stigma attached to getting punished for being a charmer, cunning person, and on a lesser extent 'witch' depending on definition, and for the most part witches divined with the likes of cards&astrology for the better part of the 18th, 19th, and on centuries mostly hassle free from repercussions unless they received a con artists reputation.

Now a lot of the decks around now are modeled after the Rider-Waite, which Waite based on their Golden Dawn model that combined all of the Hermetic elements into the Tarot like the Qabalah&Astrology, so from then on card divination was influenced with that but any reader knows you get your divinatory meaning, and whatever else you want to attach to it separately so no biggie there.

As far as Wiccans or whoever else teaches tarot courses, that's something they do separately on the side and not part of their actual Craft, so I'd look at their credentials in regards to Tarot reading to influence your decisions there.

Edited by Micheál, 26 March 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#38 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I do read my tarot almost every day. My deck is one of my only dedicated "tools," and my relationship with it is such that I try to check in every day. I suppose I could influence the reading I get, but I've practiced long and hard to let the cards do the speaking, not me, and I can tell the difference. My deck is a trusted adviser, but I do not rely on it to get through my day. I read for friends often, and I've found that I'm much more accurate with my friends if I've spent the time with my deck each day.

I also utilize specific cards in workings when they are germane to what I'm trying to accomplish -- ex. using the Tower in a hex, using the Ace of Cups in a romance/relationship type spell.

I studied the books, but I've found the best way to get to know my deck was to go through each card and record my first impressions. Then sit and meditate on the card and let it show me what nuances there are. I wrote all this in my tarot journal, and for the most part it matches the traditional readings, but with a lot more depth.

Long story short: I love Tarot. It is a dear friend.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#39 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Speaking of spells and tarot. Do you think that laying out the cards in a reading is setting those things in the cards to happen (as in spell)? I suspect not, unless one does the reading with that intention.

Thoughts/experiences welcome!

#40 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Speaking of spells and tarot. Do you think that laying out the cards in a reading is setting those things in the cards to happen (as in spell)? I suspect not, unless one does the reading with that intention.

Thoughts/experiences welcome!

This is what I think, as well. If you're intending for it to happen, then I'm sure the cards will have influence, but only if that intention is there. I use tarot a lot in both spells and divination (sometimes I use regular playing cards to remove the 'visual' aspect of it, because, as an artist and very visual person in general, I'm easily affected by pictures and their symbolism), and I've actually had spreads that were utter bunk, usually because my attention was interrupted while shuffling. I can recognize when I have a bum spread, because the cards simply do not 'connect' the way they usually do, and I don't think, leastwise in this instance, that the cards would have any potential for bringing about manifestation.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl