Pukwudgies

Guest Ophelia

I was born and raised in Massachusetts, yet I discovered the Legend of the Pukwudgies only about 6 or 7 years ago, as I now live in the area where these demon-like trolls are said to roam. Many pics have been found in caves here, with depictions of these "troll-like" creatures inscribed on the walls. Has anyone ever heard of them before? The most recent sighting was just a few years ago in a neighboring town. A woman was outdoors, I think hanging clothes, she heard or saw something..dismissed it and went inside. She went over to her sink, started to wash dishes...above her...a window, looking out to the yard...all of a sudden, she said she saw a shadow, and looked up..in the window was a small human looking "being", with long black hair and large dark eyes...it's face pressed up against the window...it said something like.."I know were u are"...and she screamed and the thing took off...dont think for one minute, that when I go outside, esp at night....I dont look around..and make a mad dash for my car!

Pukwudgies of Massachusetts

The Pukwudgies: Myth or Monster website has a legend of the beginnings of the Pukwudgies.

A couple of the more modern day stories tell of different individuals that encountered a Puckwudgie in the woods and is seemingly stalked and observed by it ever since.

There's also a cliff in the area that has had a unexplained suicides by people who are seemingly happy and sane. The legend suggest that it's the pukwudgies that lure the people

to the cliff and through some type of negative encounter they cause the person to fall to their death.

excerpt from the website:

*Of all the unknown horrors that live

in Bristol County, the most feared is not a animal or a ghost or the members of Satanic cults that walk the forests, but a demon only two feet high, and if the history of the area represents the history of our America society, these Pukwudgies are the gatekeepers of our darker side. The Pukwudgies have haunted the forests of Massachusetts since

before the first European Settlers ever thought about setting out for a new land. For centuries they tormented the local Native Americans and crept their way into their creation myths and oral history. They could easily be passed of as legend, and in fact, their physical description is much like mythological creatures from other cultures in other times.

The difference is these demons jumped from the page and evolved as the people around them changed, changing from reluctant helpers to evil tormentors. The difference is these demons are still seen by people today.

read full article: Pukwudgies: Myth or Monster

I think everywhere, every township, state, geographical areas or peoples have a creature such as this from leprechauns to yeti, ogopogo to the phoenix, some are very real to the people who reside in their areas of wanderings. I am fascinated by these Pukwudgies I have never heard of them, having had experiences with a local water creature I am always thrilled to learn of others not that i wouldn't scream or run like hell if i ever saw one.

I think everywhere, every township, state, geographical areas or peoples have a creature such as this from leprechauns to yeti, ogopogo to the phoenix, some are very real to the people who reside in their areas of wanderings. I am fascinated by these Pukwudgies I have never heard of them, having had experiences with a local water creature I am always thrilled to learn of others not that i wouldn't scream or run like hell if i ever saw one.

I would agree. I also think that if we where to delve into the lore of the indigenous tribes within the surrounding area we would come up with some interesting information regarding their "presence" (for lack of a better word.) I know that where I live, in the heart of "Big-Foot" country - behind the fortean mask lies the indwelling spirit and guardian of the land, much akin to the Wodewose of Britannic legends.

Guest Ophelia

I would agree. I also think that if we where to delve into the lore of the indigenous tribes within the surrounding area we would come up with some interesting information regarding their "presence" (for lack of a better word.) I know that where I live, in the heart of "Big-Foot" country - behind the fortean mask lies the indwelling spirit and guardian of the land, much akin to the Wodewose of Britannic legends.

Well said all....I agree, that every geographical location has it's "legends and lore"...full of mystical creatures and beings. These Pukwudgies are freaky in that the Wampanog Indians left drawings behind, along with verbal knowledge etc. There is a ledge in the East Freetown state forest...(which I've never been in, but it is the largest in the state..and a total hotbed of paranormal activity), called The Assonet Ledge, which is said to be the most haunted spots in the Forest. Pukwudgies have alledgedly been seen here, the most famous of stories being involved with an overwelming feeling of saddness and/or dread. Over a dozen suicides have been documented from that ledge, some involving witnesses. People standing on this ledge have reported a sudden urge to "jump" into the deep water of the quarry below. More than one person has been "stopped" before actually jumping to their death. Many ppl feel that the Pukwudgies have something to do with the hauntings, as part of their legend says that they are known to lure ppl to the cliffs and then push them over....they have never been seen, but orbs of ight and flashes of light have been seen, over falling off the cliff, but never making a splash into the water. Translucient images of native Americans have been seen standing on the ledge, and ppl who have studied the area feel that the energies of the Native Americans are trapped there. They also feel that the "curse" of the land will be forever evident, until the land is return to the Wampanogs.

Guest Ophelia

I'll be visiting Massachussetts on Sunday, so...FUN! lol

Are u going to be close to Freetown Firenze? If so, it's a super(natural) place to explore!

I've lived in MA and the ledgend does not surprise me one bit. It seemed a weird place; :ani_witch_moon: with lots going on. Salem was a real trip and that was 20 years ago.

Guest Ophelia

I've lived in MA and the ledgend does not surprise me one bit. It seemed a weird place; :ani_witch_moon: with lots going on. Salem was a real trip and that was 20 years ago.

Hi Belwenda. Massachusetts is of course, a very old "place", with some of the first settlers to call it home, being inhabited for over 300 years, makes it a hotbed of activity. Hell even the cemetary I like to walk through, as do many others because it's located in a busy section of the city (safety in numbers thing), has a very popular grave of a little girl named Veva Johnson, who died at the age of 4 back in the late 1880's. Many ppl have stated they've seen a small little girl, dressed in a long white dress standing near the stone...and some have reported the stone chair (a tiny rocking chair sits near her stone, the size of it is something a toddler can sit in) glows at times with a greenish light...we sort of expect things like that around these parts as it's a huge part of the folklore.

Are u going to be close to Freetown Firenze? If so, it's a super(natural) place to explore!

I'm unfortunately not very close...but perhaps for another visit! :] I expect that I'll come to visit MA a couple more times since I have family that will stay here for the next 4-5 years. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 6 months later...

Actually, every place on earth is old, all is the same age. I do agree that some places have more interesting or powerful energies than others.

Actually, every place on earth is old, all is the same age. I do agree that some places have more interesting or powerful energies than others.

All the land is the same age yes, but the buildings, legends, settlements, etc. that can add to their energy is not.

All the land is the same age yes, but the buildings, legends, settlements, etc. that can add to their energy is not.

Yes and don't forget the trees. The plant life do a great deal where energy is involved.

Archived