32 replies to this topic

#1 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi everyone,
this is my first new topic post so here goes!

I have had a quick fly through the forum posts, and just wondered whether anyone else experiences seeing vivid, what I can only call hallucinations, on waking or going to sleep?

I have had this for as long as I can remember, waking so see the exact room I am in but with sometimes huge spiders dropping down from the ceiling, or even mechanical toys, or sometimes people - that I don't know, their shape maybe, in the doorway.

The objects/creatures appear so real I do often get out of bed to sort them out, move them out the way (my husband finds it hillarious!). Sometimes it may even just be that the ceiling is covered in patterns, and I just lie there thinking, okay, this will all disappear in a minute. I am totally aware of the fact that they are not real so they don't frighten me, but the solidness and reallness of them never ceases to amaze me.

On another forum it was suggested that these could have meanings, like the way dreams do. so I just wondered whether anyone else experienced this and whether you have had any success logging and relating whats going on, to some sort of meaning in your life?

I have often thought wouldnt it be great to be able to make this realistic visualisation happen on demand,though I know that might be a bit bonkers! :thankyou:

Winter Night x

#2 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I have had a quick fly through the forum posts, and just wondered whether anyone else experiences seeing vivid, what I can only call hallucinations, on waking or going to sleep?

I have had this for as long as I can remember, waking so see the exact room I am in but with sometimes huge spiders dropping down from the ceiling, or even mechanical toys, or sometimes people - that I don't know, their shape maybe, in the doorway.

The objects/creatures appear so real I do often get out of bed to sort them out, move them out the way (my husband finds it hillarious!). Sometimes it may even just be that the ceiling is covered in patterns, and I just lie there thinking, okay, this will all disappear in a minute. I am totally aware of the fact that they are not real so they don't frighten me, but the solidness and reallness of them never ceases to amaze me.

On another forum it was suggested that these could have meanings, like the way dreams do. so I just wondered whether anyone else experienced this and whether you have had any success logging and relating whats going on, to some sort of meaning in your life?

I have often thought wouldnt it be great to be able to make this realistic visualisation happen on demand,though I know that might be a bit bonkers! :thankyou:

Winter Night x

Good morning,

Do u ever have headaches when this happens? There is something called "Ocular Migraines", where someone see's strange or unusual things, from their sub-conscious, with or without a headche actually. Other than that, I have no Idea! Maybe your subconscious coming to the surface during conciousness, making the visions "real"?? Yikes!

#3 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

I have experienced this type of astral dreaming a time or 2, I've found myself in some out there places! I've read that it's like a manifestation of subconscious thoughts but I think it feels like being caught between a lucid dream and the astral world, like your body is one place but your mind is another. It's really fascinating
ETA: It's when I am falling asleep

Edited by EarthFaery, 29 September 2010 - 09:21 PM.

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆
-my stamp in the universe

#4 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

Good morning,

Do u ever have headaches when this happens? There is something called "Ocular Migraines", where someone see's strange or unusual things, from their sub-conscious, with or without a headche actually. Other than that, I have no Idea! Maybe your subconscious coming to the surface during conciousness, making the visions "real"?? Yikes!

:vhappywitch:
I never have headaches with this, its so odd because I am either just going to sleep, or have woken but am still really tired so I am a bit in sleep but not totally. I am usually awake enough though to know they are not real, but they are there!

#5 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

I have experienced this type of astral dreaming a time or 2, I've found myself in some out there places! I've read that it's like a manifestation of subconscious thoughts but I think it feels like being caught between a lucid dream and the astral world, like your body is one place but your mind is another. It's really fascinating
ETA: It's when I am falling asleep

:cheerleader:
very interesting stuff - I always have really vivid dreams and end up loads of places, but these seem different. They always happen in the actual place I am sleeping - the room is totally real, its just the things I see are not, but look real until I either come out of it or I go to turn on a light, or wave the stuff out the way and its not there. I must be bonkers!

#6 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

:cheerleader:
very interesting stuff - I always have really vivid dreams and end up loads of places, but these seem different. They always happen in the actual place I am sleeping - the room is totally real, its just the things I see are not, but look real until I either come out of it or I go to turn on a light, or wave the stuff out the way and its not there. I must be bonkers!

It some form of OOBE, it sounds more like a type of ethereal projection. It's one of those things where you would never believe or unless you've experienced for yourself

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆

#7 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

hi!
I had this just the other night. I forced myself to wake up out of a very vivid type of lucid dream where I knew I was dreaming but couldn't fully control it. As I was coming out of the dream I could see a massive spindly spider walking on my ceiling, everything else in the room was normal. Like you say, I wasn't frightened. Then it gradually faded away. The strange thing was that I wasn't even dreaming about spiders previously, so I don't know why it appeared.

This sort of thing doesn't happen very often but I do get a lot of waking paralysis maybe once a week on average. :confused:

"Mind is the Master-power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills-He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass.”

- James Allen

#8 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:49 AM

hi!
I had this just the other night. I forced myself to wake up out of a very vivid type of lucid dream where I knew I was dreaming but couldn't fully control it. As I was coming out of the dream I could see a massive spindly spider walking on my ceiling, everything else in the room was normal. Like you say, I wasn't frightened. Then it gradually faded away. The strange thing was that I wasn't even dreaming about spiders previously, so I don't know why it appeared.

This sort of thing doesn't happen very often but I do get a lot of waking paralysis maybe once a week on average. :confused:

I studied Hypnotherapy a few years back. If I remember correctly, the level of consciousness called "Theta" or the third level (out of four), means you're put in a state where tasks become so automatic that u mentally disengage, from them. "Illusions" or visions can take place during the theta state which are often free flowing and occur without any type of censorship and is usually a positive but "strange" mental state.

#9 Telluria

Telluria

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

Sometimes when I'm waking up its like the dream is sill going on in my room more like an impression usualy fades in about 10-15 seconds. One time i was having a nightmare, someone was chasing me I triped landed on my back and my attacker was on me with a knife, I woke up but the attacker was still there like a fadded image over me. I was about 14 at the time screamed so loud my parent came in....and i think i peed my self a little ....lol :embarased: that was the only really vivid one. I'm use to it but it has not happend in a few years.

Melissa

#10 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

I studied Hypnotherapy a few years back. If I remember correctly, the level of consciousness called "Theta" or the third level (out of four), means you're put in a state where tasks become so automatic that u mentally disengage, from them. "Illusions" or visions can take place during the theta state which are often free flowing and occur without any type of censorship and is usually a positive but "strange" mental state.

I had never heard about this before, so really interesting stuff! I am definately in a state where I am usually not thinking about anything, and so the visions only really disappear when I start to properly get up and questions them. The only time I have every been frightened is when recently I could see a dark shadowy figure pearched up in the attic window in the room where I sleep, and even though I knew it wasnt real, I still saw it for a few minutes and had to just turn my back and get to sleep as it did creep me out.

During the day I also have a terrible habit of catching sight of things out of the side of my eye, and often see cat shapes or the odd person, but they are just dark shadowy things. Its probably just because as an illustrator I do tend to have an over active imagination and its just keeps on running no matter what i am doing!

Spiders seem to be a recurring theme though, in the wee bit of research I have done.

My youngest memory of a vision thingy was that I was convinced i had a shiny red handbag (I am not even that girly!) under my bed as a child and I would often reach under the bed for it, and then it would be gone. i was probalbly 6 or something.

I will get about doing some reasearch in OoBE and the hypnotherapy levels too - thanks everyone!:chakrahearts: sorry if my posts are babbling on, its just great to discuss this with likeminded people!

#11 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Thats really interesting about the Theta, I didn't know that. I've been keeping a dream journal for the past few months, its just handy too know how often these things happen. Also it is good for remembering your dreams.

"Mind is the Master-power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills-He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass.”

- James Allen

#12 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Great stories! I found some stuff on spiders, everything sort of says the same thing.
This is quoted from Dream Moods, not sure if any of it hits home with you but it's interesting.
I was thinking that spiders would indicate some kind of fear due to them being so creepy looking. And most people are afraid of them, kill them (poor things), or relocate them, seems one thing in common, no one wants a spider around. I used to be so afraid of them till I moved to the country, I've had to make friends with lots of little creepy's and crawlies! It is true what they say when you see a spider, you stop dead in your tracks to watch it.

Spiders
To see a spider in your dream, indicates that you are feeling like an outsider in some situation. Or perhaps you want to keep your distance and stay away from an alluring and tempting situation. The spider is also symbolic of feminine power or an overbearing mother figure in your life. Alternatively, a spider refers to a powerful force protecting you against your self-destructive behavior. If you kill a spider in your dream, then it symbolizes misfortune and bad luck.

To see a spider spinning a web in your dream, signifies that you will be rewarded for your hard work. You will be promoted in your job or recognized for your achievement in a difficult task. Spiders are also a symbol of creativity due to the intricate webs they spin. On a negative note, spiders may indicate a feeling of being entangled or trapped in a sticky or clingy relationship.�It represents some ensnaring and controlling force. You feel that someone or some situation is sucking the life right out of you. Alternatively, if a spider is spinning a web in your dream, then it could be a metaphor for the world wide web and global communication.

To see a spider climbing up a wall in your dream, denotes that your desires will be soon be realized.

To dream that you are bitten by a spider, represents a conflict with your mother or some dominant female figure in your life. The dream may be a metaphor for a devouring mother or the feminine power to possess and entrap. Perhaps you are feeling trapped by some relationship. If you eat a spider or dream that a spider is in your mouth, symbolizes your control over a situation. You are not afraid to exert your dominance in a relationship.

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆

#13 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

On waking/going to sleep it happens frequently: everything from animals darting about to all the walls in my room being covered in runic text. I also see "overlays" at other times during the day/night wherein whole landscapes/scenes will change, e.g. a town becoming a smaller village with fields surrounding it (in place of the modern urban landscape) or a beach suddenly disappearing under fields, as the sea retreats into the distance.

I'm pretty much used to it now and it's becoming more frequent as I get older.

#14 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

Hi everyone,

Winter Night x

actually yeah ive had this, ive woke up to see a man in my room think this has happened about 3 or 4 times.... but the scariest one ive had was when i woke up and saw a woman crawling on my ceiling, that was fucked up, i closed my eyes really tight and i started to shout, IM WAKE IM WAKE!!! which woke my partner up, he wasnt impressed, but i was because the freaky woman had gone from my ceiling, i must admit i fell back asleep with one eye open :)
ive also had this happen, ill be day dreaming, looking out of my window, then somehow im stood over the road looking at me,looking out the window. if you get me. is that classed as accidental astral projection?

#15 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

I've had the spider vision frequently - lots of them crawling over the walls and ceiling but this usually dissipates after ten seconds or so. I've always assumed it was something to do with the eyes adjusting from sleep to full awareness. It's somehow comforting to hear of others sharing this but the woman on the ceiling would certainly result in a need for a change of sheets.
I don't know if this is a similar phenomenon but I have what you might call, an audio equivalent for a good few seconds before and after waking. I live near the sea and I often hear voices - very clearly - and sometimes saying some very interesting things. Then as consciousness returns, the clarity diminishes and I realize it was seagulls crying over the roof. My neighbour's dog, barking, often seems to make sense for a few seconds before I'm properly awake.
If I could communicate with Layla, next-door's dog, I might ask her to bark about next week's winning lottery numbers tomorrow morning.

Hi everyone,

Winter Night x

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#16 Foxfur

Foxfur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

I've had the spider vision frequently - lots of them crawling over the walls and ceiling but this usually dissipates after ten seconds or so. I've always assumed it was something to do with the eyes adjusting from sleep to full awareness. It's somehow comforting to hear of others sharing this but the woman on the ceiling would certainly result in a need for a change of sheets.
I don't know if this is a similar phenomenon but I have what you might call, an audio equivalent for a good few seconds before and after waking. I live near the sea and I often hear voices - very clearly - and sometimes saying some very interesting things. Then as consciousness returns, the clarity diminishes and I realize it was seagulls crying over the roof. My neighbour's dog, barking, often seems to make sense for a few seconds before I'm properly awake.
If I could communicate with Layla, next-door's dog, I might ask her to bark about next week's winning lottery numbers tomorrow morning.

Yep, am joining you all here, I have seen spiders flooding my floor a few times before, and another one is a rat that runs out and sits on the floor.
Has anybody ever seen something that has been like a person's shadow creeping around the outskirts of their bedroom to? I always thought it was my dreary brain playing tricks with exhaustion, mind, until this thread got posted.

G. Lyons { Whomever understands life, will understand me}
{ The person who rejects life as it is, cannot ever understand}

#17 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Yep, am joining you all here, I have seen spiders flooding my floor a few times before, and another one is a rat that runs out and sits on the floor.
Has anybody ever seen something that has been like a person's shadow creeping around the outskirts of their bedroom to? I always thought it was my dreary brain playing tricks with exhaustion, mind, until this thread got posted.

Had this a fair bit along with my visions of things that look totally real. I have had my feet grabbed when I woke once whilst at college, and thought I could see someone at the end of my bed - the grabbing has never happened since - :crossfingers: Tend to see shadows moving out the side of my eyes too and when I turn they are gone - think this may be my over active imagination too though!:chakrahearts:

#18 Foxfur

Foxfur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Had this a fair bit along with my visions of things that look totally real. I have had my feet grabbed when I woke once whilst at college, and thought I could see someone at the end of my bed - the grabbing has never happened since - :crossfingers: Tend to see shadows moving out the side of my eyes too and when I turn they are gone - think this may be my over active imagination too though!:chakrahearts:

Ugh, wouldn't like to be grabbed much, never had that! i'd probably screech lol :sweat:

G. Lyons { Whomever understands life, will understand me}
{ The person who rejects life as it is, cannot ever understand}

#19 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

The other morning I was half asleep when it sounded like somebody clapped once in my ear which made me wake up with a huge fright. Managed to drift off again, then a voice shouted my name in my head and I woke up with a huge fright again. Was all a bit freeeaky!

- James Allen

#20 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

Being that I am not a highly visual person, I generally do not see objects upon waking or falling asleep, I often have the sensation of moving at that time. Not the normal jolting that the body does as one falls in or out of consciousness, but rather feeling that I am turning or sliding to one side or the other. This is not something that necessarily worries me or impacts my Craft, but it certainly is odd. I have even had the sensation of rollng, despite the fact that I am obviously laying on the bed, unable to actually spin. :)