Photo
- - - - -

Spur of the Moment Dreamcatcher

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:16 AM

So I've been finding a lot of feathers around lately, and tonight I had this sudden idea that I needed to make a dream catcher for them to hang from. I also dug some stones out of a drawer I've been "saving in case". I know the picture quality isn't great, but I think you can get the gist of it. Any ideas for additions/subtractions?

Attached Files

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:29 AM

I like it. Simply, clean lines, not a lot of fluff. I am not partial to things that are overdone.

Jevne

#3 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

Very nice. Dreamcatchers have been on my mind lately. Was thinking about buying one but now you've inspired me to make my own.
I'm also with Jevne on that it's simple, clean and not overdone.

"Let it all be animal, my life and death, hard and clean like that, anything but human... a lot I care, me with my red heart in the dark earth and my tattooed feet following the animal ways."
-Vali Myers ~ 1963

#4 mermadi

mermadi

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:35 AM

Very nice. Dreamcatchers have been on my mind lately. Was thinking about buying one but now you've inspired me to make my own.
I'm also with Jevne on that it's simple, clean and not overdone.

I like the idea of putting feathers and stones in your dreamcathers. Do they have some significance in keeping bad dreams away?

#5 Adare

Adare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

I really like the idea of putting the stones in the dream catcher! I thought the string wouldn't be able to hold onto the tumbled stones, but you've proved me wrong.

Is the purple-y/blue/white rock an amethyst? It doesn't look like one to me, but I'm bad with identifying rocks, haha. If it's not an amethyst and you're looking for another stone to incorporate to it, I've had pretty good experience with amethysts alleviating weird/bad dreams.

#6 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

Thank you. I agree that simple things tend to be... less complicated. lol

I did spend a very long time "harnessing" those stones - it wasn't easy figuring out where to tie what loops into which other loops for it to all keep itself together. The more angular ones were easier to tie.

Yes, I believe that the longer purple stone is an amethyst. Funny you mention that, because it seems as though most of the stones I picked (without knowing much about common uses of particular stones) are traditionally used as "calming" and/or centering in some way. There is a Snowflake Obsidian (balance, identifying negative thoughts/petterns), a Green Jade (aids dream recall, balance/stability, self-realization, peace), Amethyst (calm, patience, spiritual insight), Tigers Eye (clarity of intention, determination). The last stone I'm unsure of - it's mottled grey and brown, and has very small snail shells petrified within it. Any ideas as to what this is?

I 'blessed' my dreamcatcher, for lack of a better word. Asked it for insight and guidance in my sleep...

The really interesting part of all of this is that the dream I had last night was... telling. The general idea was that I was driving somewhere, but that I was driving from the passenger seat and getting frustrated and couldn't reach the gas and brake. So I got into the drivers seat and the wheel was too high and I was still having trouble. So I managed to adjust it and felt a feeling of calm take over the dream. I pulled over at an old house and got out of the car. When I got inside there was a man and a woman there. I asked them if they would be willing to be contacts in case of emergency, since winter was coming, and since I would be driving along this road often I wanted someone nearby to go to for help. She agreed to this. There was a dog in this house and he was so happy and calm, but his ears came off - almost like velcro you could stick them back on. This apparently was not terribly shocking to me at the time, but I asked about them. The lady said that she breeds them like this now because "they don't need them anymore".

So the driving part is pretty obvious I think - meaning that I'm taking control over my own path. What's interesting is that winter is sometimes associated with spiritual introspection according to dreammoods.com (I don't know how reliable this site is but I'm going with it...) I think it's interesting that I thought I would be driving down the road often. The dog could represent intuition, loyalty, protection, moving forward and, interesingly, the ears can represent "the need to be more responsive or receptive to guidance and assistance from others".

Have I met spirit guides....?

~ V ~

#7 Guest_Nighthunter_*

Guest_Nighthunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Never though of making a dream catcher what a great idea.
It looks neat I like the way you put the stones in.

#8 herbal_legends

herbal_legends

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

I love it! :happy:

#9 Telluria

Telluria

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:34 AM

:D Very nice, I love dreamcatchers

#10 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all the lovely comments! It's been functional as well as nice to look at. :)

Edited by BluesRed, 24 September 2010 - 01:46 PM.

~ V ~

#11 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Just noticed JuniperBaby linked to this thread, I actually just hung a dream catcher for my daughter yesterday. I didn't put any stones in the strings (love that in yours though V) but I did get some small wind chime pipes and hang them from the bottom.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#12 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

I love this V! If you look at closely, there is white rose in the center....I thought that was neat. Gives another layer of protection.

#13 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

Very creative esp. with the use of the stones-that's really cool!

Anara

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#14 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

It's a very pretty dreamcatcher, but two things about it seem odd to me: one, that the hole in the center is tiny and not many dreams can get through; two, that there are so many protective stones, whereas the Crow elder who taught our little group of halfbreeds said that one good feather, OR one good stone, is plenty. What I found in the long run was that any deviation from the basic method of construction made the dreamcatcher  less able to maintain its physical integrity; almost as if they would self-destruct. Vermillion, I realize this is an old topic, but I am new... and I can't help but wonder how this piece has worked out for you over the years. I hope better than mine!

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#15 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Quite well, actually!

Interesting suggestion.  I might try to alter it slightly and see what happens.

~ V ~

#16 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Alter it? Why would you do that if it works? I am glad that it works.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.