Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Ophelia

Graveyard Dirt

I also use graveyard dirt at times, but I have to agree with my Peers, get it yourself, and leave a lovely gift for the one you are obtaining it from, even if you don't know the person residing, It's polite and respectful, imho.

Regards,

Gypsy

I do buy something's from other practioners I trust, but not stuff I can go get myself, that seems like a service for non witches doing the occasional spell, not for witches.

On a related note....have any of you done any work with a witch's grave? Either dirt from it or just hanging out there?

In my town--this is amazing really--there is a fairly secret (but known by many locals) witch grave in a random grove of trees in the middle of the busiest part of town. It's like, a whole town sprung up but nothing could ever touch this particular grave. There are no others by it. It is commonly known to be a witch's grave and, normally I would dismiss such stuff, but have visited it myself and confirmed that it was very carefully thought out and well protected, magically speaking. It's a powerful spot.

I have often thought of visiting it now and then for inspiration.

On a related note....have any of you done any work with a witch's grave? Either dirt from it or just hanging out there?

In my town--this is amazing really--there is a fairly secret (but known by many locals) witch grave in a random grove of trees in the middle of the busiest part of town. It's like, a whole town sprung up but nothing could ever touch this particular grave. There are no others by it. It is commonly known to be a witch's grave and, normally I would dismiss such stuff, but have visited it myself and confirmed that it was very carefully thought out and well protected, magically speaking. It's a powerful spot.

I have often thought of visiting it now and then for inspiration.

No, I haven't used any witch grave dirt, but that is a facinating story.

I like the story myself.

I have never done this personally probably because I don't know of any witches (even though there likely are) that are buried nearby. I know my great aunt is buried in Merrimack NH and she would be a good witch grave for me to visit some day.

I decided to collect and use some GYD recently. My husband and I had a bit of a confrontation with a local no-gooder (type that's been picked up for hard drugs, drives at top speeds around the neighborhood, just all around trouble.) Two days later we noticed some things missing from our vehicle, and evidence that someone had sort of camped out by the front of our house, pretty creepy because we spend some time in the front room with a large picture window and for all I know we could have been being watched.

I was furious, and frankly a little scared. I didn't have evidence that it was the same person, but strongly felt so. I took a trip to the graveyard that's just a few blocks from our home. I don't have a lot of family buried locally, so I came to this place stating my intentions and asking to be guided to one's grave that would help. Pretty much right away I had a strong draw towards an older marker in the cemetery. Unfortunately, the marker is in bad shape, I couldn't tell the persons name or gender, but I felt a strong sense of protection from this grave in particular, that it didn't bother me that much. I paid my respects for some time, and purchased their dirt for a nice little offering of oranges and cupcakes :).

The douchebag hanging around our window left a soda outside our house as well, with the straw they used sitting there just waiting to be used as a personal connection to them tongue0013.gif. Between the GYD and their saliva, I feel I had a potent little thing going, and as of now we have not had any more trouble and I haven't even seen this person around in over two weeks. Overall, using the GYD has been a positive experience. I don't think it's something I will use too regularly, but it's good to know it's there when I'm feeling threatened at least.

I decided to collect and use some GYD recently. My husband and I had a bit of a confrontation with a local no-gooder (type that's been picked up for hard drugs, drives at top speeds around the neighborhood, just all around trouble.) Two days later we noticed some things missing from our vehicle, and evidence that someone had sort of camped out by the front of our house, pretty creepy because we spend some time in the front room with a large picture window and for all I know we could have been being watched.

I was furious, and frankly a little scared. I didn't have evidence that it was the same person, but strongly felt so. I took a trip to the graveyard that's just a few blocks from our home. I don't have a lot of family buried locally, so I came to this place stating my intentions and asking to be guided to one's grave that would help. Pretty much right away I had a strong draw towards an older marker in the cemetery. Unfortunately, the marker is in bad shape, I couldn't tell the persons name or gender, but I felt a strong sense of protection from this grave in particular, that it didn't bother me that much. I paid my respects for some time, and purchased their dirt for a nice little offering of oranges and cupcakes :).

The douchebag hanging around our window left a soda outside our house as well, with the straw they used sitting there just waiting to be used as a personal connection to them tongue0013.gif. Between the GYD and their saliva, I feel I had a potent little thing going, and as of now we have not had any more trouble and I haven't even seen this person around in over two weeks. Overall, using the GYD has been a positive experience. I don't think it's something I will use too regularly, but it's good to know it's there when I'm feeling threatened at least.

Glad it worked for you. Nice bit of crafting. :cool_witch:

Going with one's " gut " is intensely satisfying and rewarding, imho. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Gypsy

Hmm.. that's weird.. I coulda sworn I posted in this topic last week. Maybe I never hit "Add Reply".

Anyway, I've got two bottles full of GYD; one from family and one not.

Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure which bottle is which now! I should've labeled them, duh, I just assumed I'd remember.

If, after seriously trying to sort them out, the right vibe doesn't come to me, I'll try a pendulum on them to discern which is which.

I was wondering, with graveyard dirt - does it have to come from a grave or can it come from the graveyard itself? Where I live, there are two cemeteries. One is Catholic and the other is old, I know my neighbour's mother is buried there, as is the father of a friend of my mum's. However, those aside (and I would not ask them if I could use dirt from their family members for magical workings because I know each of these people loved their respective parents a lot and felt their loss deeply), the rest I am unsure of as I've not been there before, I don't think anyone has been buried in this cemetery for about 15 years or so. The rest I would almost guarantee would be christian farmers (I live in the country in a tiny town) as most of the people outside of my little town are farmers and have been here for generation upon generation. I would be hesitant taking dirt from their graves which is why I was wondering if taking if from the cemetery itself and not necessarily a grave is fine.

Guest iLumenate

Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure which bottle is which now! I should've labeled them, duh, I just assumed I'd remember.

If, after seriously trying to sort them out, the right vibe doesn't come to me, I'll try a pendulum on them to discern which is which.

Maybe you're not getting a clear answer because it doesn't really matter? Essentially they're the same? Just wondering out loud here. lol.

Guest iLumenate

I was wondering, with graveyard dirt - does it have to come from a grave or can it come from the graveyard itself? Where I live, there are two cemeteries. One is Catholic and the other is old, I know my neighbour's mother is buried there, as is the father of a friend of my mum's. However, those aside (and I would not ask them if I could use dirt from their family members for magical workings because I know each of these people loved their respective parents a lot and felt their loss deeply), the rest I am unsure of as I've not been there before, I don't think anyone has been buried in this cemetery for about 15 years or so. The rest I would almost guarantee would be christian farmers (I live in the country in a tiny town) as most of the people outside of my little town are farmers and have been here for generation upon generation. I would be hesitant taking dirt from their graves which is why I was wondering if taking if from the cemetery itself and not necessarily a grave is fine.

I would have thought the idea behind graveyard dirt is that is consecrated. Does it really matter who is buried there? Again I'm wondering out loud. biggrin.gif

I would be fine with dirt just from the cemetery itself it I just needed dirt that has covered the dead. Sometimes though, I need dirt that has the essence of a specific person in it. If you gather dirt from a very old cemetery that has had people buried more naturally (wooden box, no vault, etc.) the dirt will literally have their physical essence in it due to decomposition.

A lot of people today opt for cremation, and the ashes are kept in the home or buried. Might this be used in the same way as graveyard dirt?

A lot of people today opt for cremation, and the ashes are kept in the home or buried. Might this be used in the same way as graveyard dirt?

This is true, what you say Autumn Moon, I would surmize that human ash could work as well. I know there is another post floating around here on the Forum, about the pros/cons of cremation and being buried. If memory serves me right, our Peer who threaded to it raised a red flag, as some cremation ovens are not thoroughly cleaned out, so one may just get the ashes from another's loved one, as well as one's own loved one.:pinch: Which raises many questions about the funeral application of cremation, and the use of human remain ash.

That's why I opted on a Post, to be cremated out on a burning canoe over the Lake ! But I know I'll be buried up the road. lol ! Cat hair and all ! lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

Personally, I consider human ash much more 'powerful' than graveyard dirt. :)

Personally, I consider human ash much more 'powerful' than graveyard dirt. :)

I consider it to be more powerful aswell because it is the actual person, though I have some ethical concerns about using it myself. I have grandfather sitting on a shelf above my altar. Though I know I could use the his ashes for something, I loathe to do it because I consider that disrespectful to him and his last wishes. He wants to be spread at sea, not used in some spell. I may keep a bit to invoke his help in a certain matter from time to time, and I have permission to do that, but thats about all I feel comfortable doing.

Please don't throw stuff at me its just a curious question,is the use of dirt,symbolic? Or is it used to manifest help in long distance spell,or is it used to summon so they do the work.

I think graveyard dirt imparts qualities of contact with the dead upon the work and also qualities of the person who is buried there. Some may use that connection to command a spirit of the dead, but I don't. For example, a spirit bottle dedicated to my mighty dead, it is a vessel, I invite someone(s) to visit for a meeting with them by setting the vessel in a gateway.

Sometimes they do come and visit, othertimes that someone(s) might be otherwise detained, perhaps visiting their family or doing whatever they do in the otherworld. It works often enough that I know the vessel works. I sense their presence and then I go to bed and have contact in my dreams, or I don't sense anything and the next day the widow has posted an old pucture and a few lines waxing lyrical about him. He was with her not me :-) .

I obtained dirt from a grave I felt a sympathy with, so that the dirt would have the sort of qualities of hospitality, mysticism, affinity for particular symbols and locale that I do. In short a person like me, but with the additional attribute of being dead's blessing.

I think graveyard dirt imparts qualities of contact with the dead upon the work and also qualities of the person who is buried there. Some may use that connection to command a spirit of the dead, but I don't. For example, a spirit bottle dedicated to my mighty dead, it is a vessel, I invite someone(s) to visit for a meeting with them by setting the vessel in a gateway.

Sometimes they do come and visit, othertimes that someone(s) might be otherwise detained, perhaps visiting their family or doing whatever they do in the otherworld. It works often enough that I know the vessel works. I sense their presence and then I go to bed and have contact in my dreams, or I don't sense anything and the next day the widow has posted an old pucture and a few lines waxing lyrical about him. He was with her not me :-) .

I obtained dirt from a grave I felt a sympathy with, so that the dirt would have the sort of qualities of hospitality, mysticism, affinity for particular symbols and locale that I do. In short a person like me, but with the additional attribute of being dead's blessing.

Oh ok,I understand that. Thanks

At the risk of sounding less than highly intelligent and hopefully not offending anyone I'm wondering.... My beautiful Saint Bernard passed this February and after doing a ritual all my own offering her spirit to Hekate I had her buried on my property. Actually she chose to die directly below Hekate's shrine. We were very close and she would do anything for me and I found it difficult thinking of her as less than human. So I was wondering if the soil above her body might be used as graveyard dirt? Thanks

Of course you can. Although, I would use dirt from a beloved Pet's grave much differently than I would that of a murderer's grave.

Echoing the last sentiments: It's grave-dirt from a loved one. Best suited to protection and the ilk.

Seeing as this is the divination section, wondered if anyone has used graveyard dirt in divination instead of spell work? Reading the signs in the dirt or maybe casting the dirt to read on the wind?

Seeing as this is the divination section, wondered if anyone has used graveyard dirt in divination instead of spell work? Reading the signs in the dirt or maybe casting the dirt to read on the wind?

Not exactly like that... but I've used it as a censor base for evocation.