74 replies to this topic

#61 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Gram - In may way of working you have two of the most physical and spiritual things of hers already; one is half her DNA and the other 1/4 of her DNA, and both are accesses to her memory. You and your child/children :-)

M

#62 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

Gram - In may way of working you have two of the most physical and spiritual things of hers already; one is half her DNA and the other 1/4 of her DNA, and both are accesses to her memory. You and your child/children :-)

M

Michele, I quite agree with you :)

I'm just wondering if dirt from a crem that has ashes mixed with it can be used, especially if it has 'ancestral' qualities? I would've preferred just my mums ashes as I am pondering upon the effects of taking home 'others'.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#63 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Michele, I quite agree with you :)

I'm just wondering if dirt from a crem that has ashes mixed with it can be used, especially if it has 'ancestral' qualities? I would've preferred just my mums ashes as I am pondering upon the effects of taking home 'others'.

That I can't answer as I don't work with graveyards... in my way of working I will leave those in the graveyards to their rest. I will use dirt from a pet's grave in the back yard, but only for what it symbolizes- laying something to rest, be it an argument, ill feelings, whatever. But actual grave-spirits I don't work with.

M

#64 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

That I can't answer as I don't work with graveyards... in my way of working I will leave those in the graveyards to their rest. I will use dirt from a pet's grave in the back yard, but only for what it symbolizes- laying something to rest, be it an argument, ill feelings, whatever. But actual grave-spirits I don't work with.

M

Thanks for your views, something to think about. Up to now I've not used graveyard dirt or worked with grave-spirits as I've not felt a need. I've always found graveyards peaceful places and respected those who rest there - which I guess answers my thoughts.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#65 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Thank you M and sarafina , I think that's a lot to consider and look into. I will and am trying to find if I unintentionally brought something home with me that I hadn't intended.

I really feel I had better give a little more background on how this came about. Not because any suggestions given are not valid or seem wrong but because I need to ensure you understand how big a deal this whole thing was.
I got permission from tribal elders before I ever even entered the sacred barial grounds as is custom. I asked them if it would be ok if I took a small amount of dirt home and told them why. My husband was recently threatened by a white supremisist group they not only threatend him but his family in a letter. Due to the extream danger it was agreed that our home needed very strong magic/madiciane and that they would agree to this as long as the dirt did not leave reservation boundrys. I would not enter let alone take anything from there with out permission of tribal elders. I know I'm making a big deal out of this but it occurred to me that anyone on the web could read this and think that entering a sacred barial ground and getting some dirt is ok I want to be very clear that's not the case. I would warn anyone think of doing this that the spirits that dwell there do not like being disturbed that's why you must get elder permission before entering, I would imagine the consiquences of disturbing them could be quite severe.

I'm thinking maybe this is why they wanted blood the DNA to show I had a right to be there. There are rituals we do every time we enter and leave and I will never be given permission to do this daily. However I'm thinking of adding a new section to my chant to thank them for their protection of my home. I have never used my blood for anything except blooding a knife before, blood others are very powerful to NA so I just haven't done one. I think your right in thinking that's what they wanted and I did t, I'm ok with that these are my ancestors and honoring them is very important to me.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Edited by Athena, 24 September 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#66 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

I am very unfamiliar with Native American ways... why don't you tell the Elders what happened and ask for their guidance or suggestions? Perhaps they might even know of something that is appropriate to do daily, or perhaps in NA ways it is not even acceptable to do things daily? I just don't know. I would look to the Elders of that path for how to walk it?

M

#67 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

What do you think was this a bad idea I have lots of respect for spirits and I know they can develop a liking for some things like blood and then turn evil. This did not feel like that but well I'm messing with real power here and it makes me a bit nervious.

I've never heard of that, of spirits 'turning bad' from developing a taste for blood. I give blood whe collecting graveyard dirt from my ancestors often, I've not had any issues. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#68 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

My great grandfather recalled a story, whereas people refused to shake hands with the man who dug the graves in town. When my mother asked him (her grandfather) why, he said that people feared having magics worked on them through the grave digger's touch. I do not know any grave diggers, actually, so I cannot speak to this, but I found it interesting all the same. I recall reading this somewhere, too, maybe here or someplace else, but can't remember where.

#69 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

I have heard something similar, but my family said it was because if you shook the grave digger's hand (after he had finished digging a grave) then he would be digging your grave would be one of the ones he would dig before the year was out.
Since I don't know anyone that digs graves now I think I shouhld be safe. Of course I don't ask people what their professions are usually when I first meet someone. So i might end up accidentally shaking a grave digger's hand.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#70 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have not heard of that particular lore, but it makes a lot of sense. Grave diggers, in a way, work with the dead. Kind of like some witches did (and by working with I don't mean controlling and calling up and "using" although there were some, I'm sure, who did). And to the lay person, anyone who was friends with the dead, knew the dead, was working with secrets that were "opposite" to life in their eyes. So I would guess there was probably a lot of lore surrounding those who worked with the dead. Possibly even keeping them separated - to an extent - from everyday society. To keep the dead separated from the living. At least in the minds of the living.

M

#71 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I don't remember hearing that lore either. I did know a grave digger, when I was a child. I don't ever remember touching him though, not that I was scared to. Though, I do remember hearing something about India and their caste system and the people that dug the graves and took care of the dead where called Untouchables, the same as their sewer workers and garbage people. It may stem from older times when diseases were spread easily and the people that dealt with corpses were considered unclean. Back in those times, diseases were thought to be of supernatural origin in many cultures so that may be another reason as to why that lore has cropped up.

#72 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#73 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Haaaahaaaaaa. .....ok yes i ts heard of over here but I wouldn't let it bother me. Give him or them coinage,I did.

#74 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

Bump
Dirt from a witches grave it was mentioned earlier here for use and I have an inclination that it would be good for protection against spells n spirits?

Also as a divinatory aid I've had alot of luck in some necromantic things when setting up my mirror in a circle of cemetary or graveyard dirt taken from. The gate

#75 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

Oh me oh my! I love to see others using gyd in their craft! There are so many good comments in this thread! One thing i like to do before collecting is mixing up some 'invisibility' powder or oil. It obviously wont actually make you invisible but it will make you go unnoticed if you needed to do something like get some gyd in broad daylight