• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

A lot of people today opt for cremation, and the ashes are kept in the home or buried. Might this be used in the same way as graveyard dirt?

#42 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

A lot of people today opt for cremation, and the ashes are kept in the home or buried. Might this be used in the same way as graveyard dirt?

This is true, what you say Autumn Moon, I would surmize that human ash could work as well. I know there is another post floating around here on the Forum, about the pros/cons of cremation and being buried. If memory serves me right, our Peer who threaded to it raised a red flag, as some cremation ovens are not thoroughly cleaned out, so one may just get the ashes from another's loved one, as well as one's own loved one.:pinch: Which raises many questions about the funeral application of cremation, and the use of human remain ash.

That's why I opted on a Post, to be cremated out on a burning canoe over the Lake ! But I know I'll be buried up the road. lol ! Cat hair and all ! lol !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#43 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Personally, I consider human ash much more 'powerful' than graveyard dirt. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#44 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Personally, I consider human ash much more 'powerful' than graveyard dirt. :)

I consider it to be more powerful aswell because it is the actual person, though I have some ethical concerns about using it myself. I have grandfather sitting on a shelf above my altar. Though I know I could use the his ashes for something, I loathe to do it because I consider that disrespectful to him and his last wishes. He wants to be spread at sea, not used in some spell. I may keep a bit to invoke his help in a certain matter from time to time, and I have permission to do that, but thats about all I feel comfortable doing.

#45 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Please don't throw stuff at me its just a curious question,is the use of dirt,symbolic? Or is it used to manifest help in long distance spell,or is it used to summon so they do the work.

#46 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

I think graveyard dirt imparts qualities of contact with the dead upon the work and also qualities of the person who is buried there. Some may use that connection to command a spirit of the dead, but I don't. For example, a spirit bottle dedicated to my mighty dead, it is a vessel, I invite someone(s) to visit for a meeting with them by setting the vessel in a gateway.

Sometimes they do come and visit, othertimes that someone(s) might be otherwise detained, perhaps visiting their family or doing whatever they do in the otherworld. It works often enough that I know the vessel works. I sense their presence and then I go to bed and have contact in my dreams, or I don't sense anything and the next day the widow has posted an old pucture and a few lines waxing lyrical about him. He was with her not me :-) .

I obtained dirt from a grave I felt a sympathy with, so that the dirt would have the sort of qualities of hospitality, mysticism, affinity for particular symbols and locale that I do. In short a person like me, but with the additional attribute of being dead's blessing.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#47 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think graveyard dirt imparts qualities of contact with the dead upon the work and also qualities of the person who is buried there. Some may use that connection to command a spirit of the dead, but I don't. For example, a spirit bottle dedicated to my mighty dead, it is a vessel, I invite someone(s) to visit for a meeting with them by setting the vessel in a gateway.

Sometimes they do come and visit, othertimes that someone(s) might be otherwise detained, perhaps visiting their family or doing whatever they do in the otherworld. It works often enough that I know the vessel works. I sense their presence and then I go to bed and have contact in my dreams, or I don't sense anything and the next day the widow has posted an old pucture and a few lines waxing lyrical about him. He was with her not me :-) .

I obtained dirt from a grave I felt a sympathy with, so that the dirt would have the sort of qualities of hospitality, mysticism, affinity for particular symbols and locale that I do. In short a person like me, but with the additional attribute of being dead's blessing.

Oh ok,I understand that. Thanks

#48 agata

agata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

At the risk of sounding less than highly intelligent and hopefully not offending anyone I'm wondering.... My beautiful Saint Bernard passed this February and after doing a ritual all my own offering her spirit to Hekate I had her buried on my property. Actually she chose to die directly below Hekate's shrine. We were very close and she would do anything for me and I found it difficult thinking of her as less than human. So I was wondering if the soil above her body might be used as graveyard dirt? Thanks

#49 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Of course you can. Although, I would use dirt from a beloved Pet's grave much differently than I would that of a murderer's grave.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#50 Scylla

Scylla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

Echoing the last sentiments: It's grave-dirt from a loved one. Best suited to protection and the ilk.

#51 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Seeing as this is the divination section, wondered if anyone has used graveyard dirt in divination instead of spell work? Reading the signs in the dirt or maybe casting the dirt to read on the wind?

#52 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Seeing as this is the divination section, wondered if anyone has used graveyard dirt in divination instead of spell work? Reading the signs in the dirt or maybe casting the dirt to read on the wind?

Not exactly like that... but I've used it as a censor base for evocation.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#53 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

Not used it in an incense base before but I can see the uses for evocation. Nice use! :)

I have used graveyard or mortery dirt for the divinations I mentioned, it works quite well, although it can be more contact with the dead and using dirt as a gateway for them to speak. Dirt from under the Yews can get a contact with the guardian spirits of the graveyard with the divination which can be useful too.

#54 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have never used GD spacificly before but due to some unsettling events recently I decided our home needed a super powerful protection ward. Instead of going to just the cemetery I went to our ancestral sacred Indian burial grounds to collect some dirt from them figuring two things one they are my ancestors so protecting my home should make this a very powerful spell and I just had this need to do it.
The thing is I took offerings or payment and because I wasn't real sure what they would want I brought several things. Sage and sweet grass, tabaco, grain alcohol and some coins. While I was praying I felt the wind rise around me and a feeling they wanted something more so I added a few drops of my blood to the alcohol before pouring it and then I put the rest of the stuff on top of it.
My question is I have never heard of spirits asking for blood as payment for dirt but it felt right, like I'm taking a piece of my family so I needed to leave a piece of me? What do you think was this a bad idea I have lots of respect for spirits and I know they can develop a liking for some things like blood and then turn evil. This did not feel like that but well I'm messing with real power here and it makes me a bit nervious.

The ward seems to be perfect and extreamly strong almost like I brought home some guardian that was invoked with the ward. I haven't seen anything just a peaceful feeling or sense I have.
I gathered a gallon bag of dirt so I wouldn't need to go back although I'm woundering now if I should ever go back for that purpose agine , I realize I might be freaking my self out about this but well can you blame me lol.

Edited by Athena, 23 September 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#55 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Perhaps what they wanted was your DNA. Something they could attach to and use to find you, just as we use DNA in spells to find the target.

Ancestral lines can be very deep and strong, but in blooding to a thing, to me, you have also oathed to it. Ignore it and at best they ignore it, too. At worse you have something which feels betrayed. How long is this protection to last? A day, the season, your life? The life of all your offspring and their offspring? Marking them with your DNA, offering your DNA, you have (to me) marked them as yours, and you as theirs. If they were willing to accept this, then they are not opposed to that relationship, but it must be kept up continually. You have knocked, they have answered. You now need to keep this up continually, indeffinitely. A friend betrayed can become a foe.

Talk to them often, ask them for guidance but not rescue, leave them things often. If this place was not convieniently located to your home, then put a bit of their dirt in your hedge, and leave an offering there weekly if not nightly. If you have invited them into your home and/or life (on purpose or otherwise), you no longer live alone. Consider them in all decisions made within your house for it will effect them, too. Make vessels or focuses for them to inhabit when they want to... having a party? Give the the head's up so they can go to the peace and quiet of their vessel if they are not into many personalities and loud noises. Re-arranging the furniture? Tell them so they don't have to try and figure out where everything went. You no longer live alone. Had a bad day at work? Tell them so they can adjust to your mood. It's a relationship now, and they don't know your every thought or impulse or what happened outside of the house. They're spirits, not omnipotent. Get them things you know they like and leave them near their vessel or focus. Feed them and the relationship.

I dont' know what you did there, or if you actually brought back an actual-type spirit, but you need to find out. In my path we would not bring back and keep an ancestral spirit, but I do not know the ways of Native American paths. You may have blooded to a spirit of the land that had a vested interest in your ancestors and brought that back. Or you may have brought nothing back. But I would find out.

P.S. - If the spirit is not of a nasty bent to begin with, it will not turn nasty simply for the heck of it... unless it is deceptive or lying, then it is the way it feels - you had said peaceful. Like any relationship, if you harm it or betray it or leave it, it could become hurt or angry... so as long as you remember and consider it as and treat it as part of your family, then it will remain so. I understand that some NA burial mounds have wards left to protect them (usually with some DNA attachment - whether body, bones, or blood burried there). If the ward itself belonged to the mound, it should stay at the mound and guard what it was meant to guard, not you and yours. With luck it was a nature spirit that took a liking to you and will become a house ward if invited to do so. If the restless dead were there, and you got one of those, it will have to be sent back (which can actually be cruel if it longs for life, but would be a necessity). I'd say to watch your emotions and those of anyone who lives with you, any changes or sudden inability to handle situations that used to be worked through. These would not be possessions, but an overlaying feeling of anger or depression that permeates and affects the household and its members. If the spirit is nervous or unsure of you, that doesn't make it "bad" or unfriendly and trust can be built up. If it knew your ancestors of the mound and recognized your DNA, it may trust you based on that.

M

#56 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

A friend betrayed can become a foe.

Nice post Michele.

You were referring to the spirit can suddenly change from a friend to a foe?

#57 Sarafina

Sarafina

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

I have practiced some of the Native American ways and blood is a very strong thing. It is their way of sealing the deal, a strong pact. You do not give your blood up for something so easy, so to give it up means you are truly comitted to the pact. For them to ask for blood could have been for two reasons, one making sure you are related and two to make the pact stronger.

I think the feeling of having a gaurdian there is excatly why they asked for blood. Family is a very big thing to Native Americans, they protected each other and gave their life for each other as well. So in asking for them to protect your home, you now have a guardian.

As for having to keep giving for that pritection, I would ask them about that and see what they say. Sometime just giving your blood is enough.

I am very interested in GYD. I have heard about using it before, but I like to research and know what I am doing before just jumping in, also I want to make sure it feels like the right time for me to use it. One question I have is, can I collect GYD and keep it in bottle until I am ready to use it? I live in a different state far from where any of my family members may be buried, so I know I would not be able to use their dirt. I would love to get some of my great grandmother's as I believe she was a witch (Italian).

Another question not about the dirt, but when I had my first miscarriage I keep some of the clots and put it in a baby food jar. I buried it with nails and other sharp objects for protection. It has not worked, should I not use it? Could I use it for something else, in some other way?

#58 Sarafina

Sarafina

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Also wanted to say I have learned alot from this post. I had gone walking in a cemetary with a friend twice and I always got the feeling like I should have left something, flowers or something as a sign of respect and a thank you. I did say thank you for letting me walk through, but it just did not feel like enough, know I know why. Next time I will bring some flowers. I am shocked though that my friend who says she is very connected and speaks with the non living all time and is very powerful, did not know to leave something as a sign of respect. But then again, I have always questioned how much power or gifts she really has.

#59 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

...You were referring to the spirit can suddenly change from a friend to a foe?

Not as in just arbitrarily change, but that it is a relationship. Like any other relationship. You have a friend and you agree to meet them and you don't show up, they may stop trusting you. You have a friend but you only ever call them up when you need a ride somewhere, they stop answering your calls. You have a friend and you boss them around and fuck them or theirs over, you have an enemy. Relationship. :-)

And I'd think it important to know the lore and etiquette of that spirit/area. I would find out the lore of that area and try to adhere to that people's niceties.

M

#60 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I'm having a ponder as to what to do, my mum was cremated and her ashes scattered at the crem in their garden. There was no service and I may visit and was wondering about taking some soil from where she was scattered but the trouble is many more have been scattered there before and more than likely since. I wouldn't want to think I'd be taking someone's aunty Gertrude or cousin Cyril home as well or even missing completely where mum was scattered.

I don't know what others think but I felt a release when my mum passed (I was there) and looking at her a while afterwards there was nothing there, it was my mum but it was just an empty shell. One reason why I wasn't bothered in the end that she'd requested there be no service (as is my dad's wishes when his time comes) as he said to me 'funerals are for the living'. But I like the thought of having something physical of her with me (I haven't got any hair from her etc)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein