- - - - -

Graveyard Dirt

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

Having yet to work with Graveyard Dirt, I am interested in hearing the stories of anyone who has. I have friends who have worked with it, who say it must be used with great respect; repecting the dead just as you would the living. When going to a cemetery, one should be themselves, acting as you would with a deceased person that u would have if they were alive....you're "visiting" them so to speak. Many have said they ask permission to not only gain entrance into the cemetery, but to "take" dirt from ones grave. The deity Oya, is often mentioned as the "gatekeeper" of cemeteries., the Queen of The Dead ..with a playful but aggressive type persona. A gift must be left for the "sale" of the dirt, paying homage to both the spirit of the deceased and Oya.

Contrary to belief, graveyard dirt is not only used for hexing/cursing. It also holds alot of power, esp when taken by an ancestors of the practioner, as their blood runs through your veins. Dirt is often taken from the grave of someone who has something in common with what you are seeking to resolve.

A grave of course, should never be desecrated when removing dirt, that's pretty much a given. There are lots of theories on the use of graveyard dirt however...and some Witches apparently wont work with it at all. Timing, protection, tools and the tools used, I'm told, are important prerequistes for working with this powerful modality.

#2 Guest_ConjureDoctor_*

Guest_ConjureDoctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Having yet to work with Graveyard Dirt, I am interested in hearing the stories of anyone who has. I have friends who have worked with it, who say it must be used with great respect; repecting the dead just as you would the living. When going to a cemetery, one should be themselves, acting as you would with a deceased person that u would have if they were alive....you're "visiting" them so to speak. Many have said they ask permission to not only gain entrance into the cemetery, but to "take" dirt from ones grave. The deity Oya, is often mentioned as the "gatekeeper" of cemeteries., the Queen of The Dead ..with a playful but aggressive type persona. A gift must be left for the "sale" of the dirt, paying homage to both the spirit of the deceased and Oya.

Contrary to belief, graveyard dirt is not only used for hexing/cursing. It also holds alot of power, esp when taken by an ancestors of the practioner, as their blood runs through your veins. Dirt is often taken from the grave of someone who has something in common with what you are seeking to resolve.

A grave of course, should never be desecrated when removing dirt, that's pretty much a given. There are lots of theories on the use of graveyard dirt however...and some Witches apparently wont work with it at all. Timing, protection, tools and the tools used, I'm told, are important prerequistes for working with this powerful modality.

Not a bad post. I especially like that you noted that GD is not only used as a Hexing/Cursing ingredient. It can even be used in Love spells. Here are a few basics when working with GD.

1) It is best to go to the grave of someone you were close with. If this is not available, let the spirits guide you to a grave. This is a good sign of one willing to assist you in your work.

2) When getting the dirt from someone you were close with, you should ASK them if it is ok. Wait sore some type of a sign. This may be a strong wind, a feeling, feeling someone touch you, etc. If you do not know the person from who's grave you will be collecting the dirt from, you must BUY the dirt, by leaving a silver dime in the spot you dug fro the dirt. As you cover the dime up, say "As I have paid you in silver, so shall you pay me in labor!" You may also pour a Bottle of Rum into the hole too if you are following the Hoodoo path.

3) When leaving the cemetery it is customary to leave 9 pennies at the gate as payment of thanks for the assistance of the gate keepers of the cemetery. (Usually done in Hoodoo, and Southern US Witchcraft). In hoodoo, it is customary to leave the pennies before hand. In Southern US witchcraft, "one does not pay for what one does not have". So payment is left when you leave the cemetery.

4) When you use the dirt, call upon the spirit by name, and ask for it to tend to your intention for the spell, seeing it through.

Hope this adds to enhance your post a bit. Enjoy! Great job Ophelia!

#3 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

I love grave yard dirt. I use it mostly for protection spells around property. It can be used for many things, like has been said before, basically anything you would like to make sacred, as that's what a grave is.

I collect it in a different manner. I know of the tradition of leaving money but was taught a different way. For it but instead buy a nice bouquet of flowers(you can take home grown ones too) and a couple of roses before going to a cemetery. I let myself be lead to a grave and when I find the one, go to it and make sure to read the tombstone. From there I ask if the owner of the grave is fine with me using the dirt and I wait to be I have answer. If the answer is yes, which tends to be the case(sometimes no answer that I can verify comes so I ask for another grave, better safe than sorry) I leave the bouquet for them, kinda trading for them and give best wishes to their spirit. If I feel they want something else that I have on me, I will do the same. From there I collect my dirt, thank them again and go on my way and I leave the roses at the cemetery entrance I used.

It's similar but I think the change way is the cheaper way to go:P I may have to try it at some point, though I was always taught to bring a few flowers and leave them on a few graves even just going through a stroll in cemetery.

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

I love using graveyard dirt too for a variety of uses.

but why is this in the divination section?

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#5 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

Conjure Doctor
Just a quick housekeeping note. Please read this thread:

http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/3965-blessings-blessed-be-merry-meet-merry-part-etc-etc-etc/

As you will gather, we prefer people not to use 'Blessings' on this site.
Many thanks

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#6 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Not a bad post. I especially like that you noted that GD is not only used as a Hexing/Cursing ingredient. It can even be used in Love spells. Here are a few basics when working with GD.

1) It is best to go to the grave of someone you were close with. If this is not available, let the spirits guide you to a grave. This is a good sign of one willing to assist you in your work.

2) When getting the dirt from someone you were close with, you should ASK them if it is ok. Wait sore some type of a sign. This may be a strong wind, a feeling, feeling someone touch you, etc. If you do not know the person from who's grave you will be collecting the dirt from, you must BUY the dirt, by leaving a silver dime in the spot you dug fro the dirt. As you cover the dime up, say "As I have paid you in silver, so shall you pay me in labor!" You may also pour a Bottle of Rum into the hole too if you are following the Hoodoo path.

3) When leaving the cemetery it is customary to leave 9 pennies at the gate as payment of thanks for the assistance of the gate keepers of the cemetery. (Usually done in Hoodoo, and Southern US Witchcraft). In hoodoo, it is customary to leave the pennies before hand. In Southern US witchcraft, "one does not pay for what one does not have". So payment is left when you leave the cemetery.

4) When you use the dirt, call upon the spirit by name, and ask for it to tend to your intention for the spell, seeing it through.

Hope this adds to enhance your post a bit. Enjoy! Great job Ophelia!

Ah! Many thanks for your assistance and input Conjure Doctor...I see the "reasoning" behind the payment for the dirt, and agree with the saying "one does not for what one does not have"..which makes more sense to me...Do you ask permission of any deity before entering the cemetery?

#7 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

I love using graveyard dirt too for a variety of uses.

but why is this in the divination section?

Hmmmmmm....good question, as I myself wasnt sure where this topic would fall under...perhaps thinking that dirt from a grave, which is of course held sacred, is a tool or method of connecting with the sacred source in using it for spellwork.

#8 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

I love grave yard dirt. I use it mostly for protection spells around property. It can be used for many things, like has been said before, basically anything you would like to make sacred, as that's what a grave is.

I collect it in a different manner. I know of the tradition of leaving money but was taught a different way. For it but instead buy a nice bouquet of flowers(you can take home grown ones too) and a couple of roses before going to a cemetery. I let myself be lead to a grave and when I find the one, go to it and make sure to read the tombstone. From there I ask if the owner of the grave is fine with me using the dirt and I wait to be I have answer. If the answer is yes, which tends to be the case(sometimes no answer that I can verify comes so I ask for another grave, better safe than sorry) I leave the bouquet for them, kinda trading for them and give best wishes to their spirit. If I feel they want something else that I have on me, I will do the same. From there I collect my dirt, thank them again and go on my way and I leave the roses at the cemetery entrance I used.

It's similar but I think the change way is the cheaper way to go:P I may have to try it at some point, though I was always taught to bring a few flowers and leave them on a few graves even just going through a stroll in cemetery.

LOL! Well, with the price of roses/flowers, I'd agree the silver or copper coins might be the easiest and cheapest way to go! so, from what you're saying, you do NOT set out to find a particular grave (spirit) when entering, but allow the spirit to find u...hence guiding u to their grave? What if when u read the tombstone..u realize the spirit died...a violent death? or was a prisoner, or convicted of murdering a child? Would u still feel comfortable using this spirits dirt, or feel the need to move on to another site?

#9 Guest_ConjureDoctor_*

Guest_ConjureDoctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

What if when u read the tombstone..u realize the spirit died...a violent death? or was a prisoner, or convicted of murdering a child? Would u still feel comfortable using this spirits dirt, or feel the need to move on to another site?

Here in lies another aspect of GYD. If you stumble upon a stone that is of a Murderer, convict, violent criminal, etc. This is the type of grave you would get GYD from to use in hexing, cursing etc. I dont want to go into detail here as it can be dangerous for a beginner to use. To rid a violent, malicious spirit that you have "summonsed" can take a bit of "knowledge" and you MUST kow what you are doing when dealing with these types.

LOL! Well, with the price of roses/flowers, I'd agree the silver or copper coins might be the easiest and cheapest way to go! so, from what you're saying, you do NOT set out to find a particular grave (spirit) when entering, but allow the spirit to find u...hence guiding u to their grave?

This is strictly based off of ones tradition, reasoning etc. For instance. I may set out to my fathers grave and "buy" dirt from there since we have a strong link to one another. Alternatively, I may go to the gates, and request the assistance of the Spirits to guide me to the grave that is willing to assist me in the specific type of work needed.

I hope this answers a few of your questions.

#10 Guest_ConjureDoctor_*

Guest_ConjureDoctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

Ah! Many thanks for your assistance and input Conjure Doctor...I see the "reasoning" behind the payment for the dirt, and agree with the saying "one does not for what one does not have"..which makes more sense to me...Do you ask permission of any deity before entering the cemetery?

In Conjure, we always ask permission. In our family tradition, we don't ask, as it is assumed that we are welcome to visit these places. Remember, these are not only a place of burial, but a place of memorial as well! We come to "talk" to those we have lost, remember our time with them, reflect on their impact on us and others. So the answer to this question can only be given based off of your own traditions. Neither one is wrong.

#11 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

I love utilizing dirt from places of power within my practices as it tends to be extraordinarily versatile. Soil to me holds within it the powers of the ancestral shades, and Graveyard Dust is the epitome of this concept. All parts of the ceremony for acquiring graveyard dust enlist the ancestral powers - from entering the plot, finding a suitable grave, and gathering the dirt. Any offerings made are made towards the Mighty Dead and towards Cain as Lord of the Bonesman.
"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#12 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:53 AM

I love utilizing dirt from places of power within my practices as it tends to be extraordinarily versatile. Soil to me holds within it the powers of the ancestral shades, and Graveyard Dust is the epitome of this concept. All parts of the ceremony for acquiring graveyard dust enlist the ancestral powers - from entering the plot, finding a suitable grave, and gathering the dirt. Any offerings made are made towards the Mighty Dead and towards Cain as Lord of the Bonesman.

Thank you Gimir!

#13 Guest_ConjureDoctor_*

Guest_ConjureDoctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Any offerings made are made towards the Mighty Dead and towards Cain as Lord of the Bonesman.

Might I ask what traditiona is this from? As Cain as the Lord of the Bonesmen is also found and notable in Luciferian Witchcraft.

#14 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

Might I ask what traditiona is this from? As Cain as the Lord of the Bonesmen is also found and notable in Luciferian Witchcraft.

It is Sabbatic Craft.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#15 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:37 AM

LOL! Well, with the price of roses/flowers, I'd agree the silver or copper coins might be the easiest and cheapest way to go! so, from what you're saying, you do NOT set out to find a particular grave (spirit) when entering, but allow the spirit to find u...hence guiding u to their grave? What if when u read the tombstone..u realize the spirit died...a violent death? or was a prisoner, or convicted of murdering a child? Would u still feel comfortable using this spirits dirt, or feel the need to move on to another site?

Yup, I get lead to what I need. I also go in letting it be known what I'm after and what's it's going to be used for. I also have pretty good instincts and such when it comes to dealing with spirits, which is always a big help^_^

#16 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:55 AM

Yup, I get lead to what I need. I also go in letting it be known what I'm after and what's it's going to be used for. I also have pretty good instincts and such when it comes to dealing with spirits, which is always a big help^_^

love the "I get lead to what I need" statement....I suppose that's true; it certainly makes sense..have u or anyone else ever had a negative experience with gy dirt?

#17 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

With graveyard dirt I have collected it from many different places. My family cemetery I have collected it from an ancestor of mine who was midwife and a herbalist. She was also, by some peoples accounts a real bitch. She had my great aunt's uterus and other female parts removed when she was only 14. My great aunt went in for an appendectomy and my great great grandmother said just take everything else out while you are in there. She said she didn't want any bastards running around. I use her dirt when i am working on feminine works or having to force my way to get something I want.
I have actually had interesting experiences with using memorial stone dirt. There are places here, and I am sure other places where people are not buried but they have a stone marking their memorial. I have had good results using this dirt as well. I have spoken with two ladies here who practice hoodoo, and they swear they would never use dirt from these places since the bodies and energy is not there. I have found it to be on the contrary. I have always felt the presence of the individual i have gathered dirt from on their memorial plot.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#18 Guest_ConjureDoctor_*

Guest_ConjureDoctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

I have spoken with two ladies here who practice hoodoo, and they swear they would never use dirt from these places since the bodies and energy is not there. I have found it to be on the contrary. I have always felt the presence of the individual i have gathered dirt from on their memorial plot.

I think this leads us back to a very basic concept in witchcraft. Symbolism. The symbolism of the things in which we choose to work with is always an important factor. The symbolism of an object is important in many cultures. Christians have the symbols of Crosses, fish, Pax. Jews have Menorahs, star of david, etc. Witches have the pentagram.. yada yada.

With this said I can clearly see how this could work for you. If the symbolism is there, forged with intent...It can bring forth a nice energetic fiesta of fun for your work.

As a worker of Hoodoo, I think that their statement was a matter if opinion. NOT FACT.

#19 Guest_ConjureDoctor_*

Guest_ConjureDoctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

love the "I get lead to what I need" statement....I suppose that's true; it certainly makes sense..have u or anyone else ever had a negative experience with gy dirt?

I myself have never had any negative experiences, but have worked with some very NASTY spirits. I have also more than once been called upon to save the ass of the inexperienced from these nasty spirits that were called forth in stupidity.

#20 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

I myself have never had any negative experiences, but have worked with some very NASTY spirits. I have also more than once been called upon to save the ass of the inexperienced from these nasty spirits that were called forth in stupidity.

Thanks for your input Conjure Doctor..! I let y'all know when I attempt my first spell using Graveyard dirt...