Photo
- - - - -

Witch curse blamed for pub fire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 sue_ann

sue_ann

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

A witch curse is blamed for a fire at a pub in Merseyside - http://bit.ly/cuHqH5.

A Twitter friend bought this interesting little story to my attention.

#2 thecuriouslibran

thecuriouslibran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

Wow, what a story! Shame that the curse seemed to affect the place instead of the person who had the gall to steal it. Really wish someone knew the history of those three felt figures...I'm so intrigued! lol

#3 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Wow, what a story! Shame that the curse seemed to affect the place instead of the person who had the gall to steal it. Really wish someone knew the history of those three felt figures...I'm so intrigued! lol

The article basically said that whomever touched the witch felt figure got bad luck in the shape of an accident... Who knows, maybe the thief got an accident too but we don't know about it coz lol we don't know who the thief is lolol...

I have to admit that I'm really curious too about the witches and the pub's history...

Aika

#4 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:13 AM

As Spock would say 'fascinating'.

The owner said I used to say to the witches 'I tell people not to touch you so look after me'. I guess the spirit was angry she didn't tell the guy who stole the witch, so no looky after anymore!

#5 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hi to all,
I found this interesting (a bit scary as well as the 17th century does not feel that far away to me) and found this article on BBC News "The Witch trial that made legal history" http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-14490790 by Frances Cronin (date: 17 August 2011). In that article, the author relates to us that a child aged 9 was used as a "witness" against the women of her family accused of witchcraft and this led to 10 people being executed in Pendle in 1612. In the Salem witch trials of 1692, children were also used as witnesses! The article speculates that maybe this child, in Pendle, being illegitimate, was feeling resentful towards her family or that she was not aware of the impact of her words would have. It is very sad indeed, and now Pendle benefits from tourist trade because of these trials. There is even a shop there selling dolls representing the witches who were murdered, at http://www.witchesgalore.co.uk/. I wonder what people think of buying such dolls. In Belgium, flower shops sell dolls of witches but I don't know if they are representing real people or not and my mother never let me buy one. Thx.
Kind regs to all,
Posted Image

I found a song sung about Pendle, mentioning "witches fly(ing) out on a dark rainy night"!; I do love the voice of the man singing: the title of the youtube video is:
"Guitar: Old Pendle (Including lyrics and chords)" and can be found at

Posted Image

Edited by Heks, 09 November 2011 - 09:44 PM.

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#6 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

There are several threads in the public forum that reference the Pendle Witches in one way or another, so if anyone is interested in more information, a Search may prove useful.