Photo
- - - - -

Trad.Witch and Wicca, The Differences

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have what I call a formulary. It's kinda like a grimoire, only there's no spells or rituals, just basic instructions for concoctions, herbs and their uses and so forth with things like stones and what not. It's like a witchy cookbook of sorts.

yeah ive got summit like that, but i think i might add like a leaf of a herb im writing about, because this book will be given to my children when im gone. ive also got a scrying book where after ive woken up ill write a quick note about what ive seen, so i know what to look out for the next few days, and ive got a dream diary which ive given up on because i forget to write in it :P

#22 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

<_<

That's a pretty judgmental thing to say, and also a horrendous generalisation. Obviously there are a lot of fluffies out there, but there are also serious people among Wiccans: people who know their stuff and are neither pretend or fluffies. I have actually had the pleasure of exchanging thoughts with some of them.

Well in my opinion if you think along those lines maybe you shud be with them and not here, as I say my opinion and I stand by it too much dressing up and pretendin to know all because they read it in some ancient book (written in the 1950's) or they learned it from TV. One way to learn witchcraft study nature and live it, but beware nature has teeth and claws too!

Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway:

#23 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

That may be a point there - not that they don't have power, but how they choose to use or not use it. Also, the original Wicca from England was a lot differnet than what turned into neo-paganism and eclectic wicca. The original woman I trained with was Wiccan. When we frist started working with energy and she was showing me the difference between a "push" and a "pull" when she shot energy at me, and we were just sitting at her kitchen table, it was like something was physically pushing me off the chair. I had to fight to stay on it. She followed the rede and the 3 fold, as was her choice, but I would never consider her fluffy. I have seen things in neo-pagan events that made me cringe, but that was my fault, lol... no one forced me to go watch it. I do agree there are a lot of "wannabes" out there, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I think the tides are changing and although the wannabe can be annoying, it is making the mystical more acceptable to the mainstream. And it's not a matter of needing to be accepted, it's a matter of a positive change in perception of the culture as a whole. Suddenly living green is "cool" and that's not a bad thing.

M

Yes Michelle much truth in what you say, as lon as the wannabees leave us alone let them et on with it!

#24 AuroraFenris9

AuroraFenris9

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

I suppose I have a book I record experiences, recipes and interesting ideas in, but I think of mine as more of a grimoire or visual diary. I also use tools but I do this because it helps me focus and gives me gratification to do so. I certainly don't 'worship' any deities, believing us to be a part of the universe or all 'star-stuff!' :ballongroup:
I don't wear gothic make-up (used to) and don't like to stand out ( I know who I am and that's all that matters).
Woah, gettin' into real philosophical territory now!!! :vhappywitch: :vhappywitch: :vhappywitch: :vhappywitch: :vhappywitch: :vhappywitch: :vhappywitch: :chillpill:

#25 JessicaAFM

JessicaAFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

I have not kept a journal to date but I do have notepad docs of reminders and important dates (moon phases, solstice times etc.), herbal information etc on my computer saved in a file folder named "Witchy". LOL So I guess you would say I keep a laptop grimoire :rolleyes_witch:

Jessica

#26 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

If it helps someone considering the subject then i think the link gives some useful pointers in the space available. The format of the site is a bit Goth for me, so it's not something i would have visited necessarily, just my personal thought. The closest i get to Goth is looking like Alice Cooper the morning after a night out on the town!

I have kept written records of some things that could be considered a journal, but like others i'd consider it more a workbook. Somewhere where i can map where i find particular things that i want to return to or watch for example-wildlife, herbs, places that have something about them i may find useful. I grow my own whenever i can so it's also a record of what, where, how, rotation etc.
I'm not very disciplined about it all-much of it's committed to memory but i can't remember everything so i find it helpful.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#27 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

BF calls it the "junk cabinet." Son calls it the "don't touch anything in there or Mom will wig out space." I call it Mine ;)

:roflhard: HAHAHAHAHA! I love it!

#28 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Well in my opinion if you think along those lines maybe you shud be with them and not here, as I say my opinion and I stand by it too much dressing up and pretendin to know all because they read it in some ancient book (written in the 1950's) or they learned it from TV. One way to learn witchcraft study nature and live it, but beware nature has teeth and claws too!

Come again? :blink:

Please, don't come telling me I have no place on this forum because I happen to disagree with your, quite frankly, very narrow visioned view that every single wiccan out there is nothing but a book reciting fluffie wannabe, who cannot possibly have spent as much time connecting with nature as you or the next person.

We're all very welcome to our opinions of course, however I find the "if you don't judge wiccans like I do, maybe you should go and play with them instead" quite offensive.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#29 Orchid Moon

Orchid Moon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

:wickedwitch:I keep two books, one for any info I pick up about TW and another one for what I do with the info, eg spells, concotions and recipes. I keep them in a folder so I can pull out anything I need without tackling the whole book.
In Witchcraft, each of us must reveal our own truth

#30 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Come again? :blink:

Please, don't come telling me I have no place on this forum because I happen to disagree with your, quite frankly, very narrow visioned view that every single wiccan out there is nothing but a book reciting fluffie wannabe, who cannot possibly have spent as much time connecting with nature as you or the next person.

We're all very welcome to our opinions of course, however I find the "if you don't judge wiccans like I do, maybe you should go and play with them instead" quite offensive.

ok maybe I should put it plainer, read the front page if u want to waffle about fucking wiccans you dont belong here, yes thats my opinion and as far as I k now it has always been the one thin that makes this place worth while. So again in my opinion all you wiccans can fuck off and play where you belong and that most certainly isnt on a Traditional Withchcraft site!

#31 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

oh yes and while we are at it if you dont like my opinion report me, because if this site has now become a fuckin playground for wiccans I dont want to be here and the complete ethos of the site has changed! Read the warnin this is a site for TW and adults

#32 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

ok maybe I should put it plainer, read the front page if u want to waffle about fucking wiccans you dont belong here, yes thats my opinion and as far as I k now it has always been the one thin that makes this place worth while. So again in my opinion all you wiccans can fuck off and play where you belong and that most certainly isnt on a Traditional Withchcraft site!

Try to understand something here: there's a difference between not judging a group and being one of them. Just because I'm not a racist doesn't mean I'm black. Just because I don't share your hatred towards the said group, doesn't mean I'm one of them.

End of.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#33 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Try to understand something here: there's a difference between not judging a group and being one of them. Just because I'm not a racist doesn't mean I'm black. Just because I don't share your hatred towards the said group, doesn't mean I'm one of them.

End of.

i gota admit, wiccans arent high on christmas card list, but if there are wiccans here mods will seek them out if they are here under false pretences.... oceana i fully agree with what you have just said..... marshy yes you also have a good point of us having an influx of wiccans hitting this site, which i believe the admins and mods have now sorted.... theres no point in picking fights with a regular like oceana. we have to agree to disagree here..... ohhh get me playing mediator :) well i never thought i had this mellow side lol

#34 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

There seems to be a certain Irony in Witches conducting a Witch Hunt :rolleyes_witch:

#35 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

I've been pretty annoyed by the wiccans I've met, but I've heard of serious ones like Michelle described so I'm not going to lump them all together just yet. The ones I've met have said things like "your herb work is pointless, just ask the Goddess to do it for you!" or "what's up with that old tree branch you've got? Go buy a crystal wand if you want real power!" etc.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#36 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

I cannot grasp why two Trad Witches are at loggerheads over Wiccans on a non-wiccan forum, when things get a bit heated sometimes it is better to get on with it via PM rather than a very public topic, IMO, just saying.

I also agree with what Loki has said in her last post.

Anita.

#37 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

I cannot grasp why two Trad Witches are at loggerheads over Wiccans on a non-wiccan forum, when things get a bit heated sometimes it is better to get on with it via PM rather than a very public topic, IMO, just saying.

Anita.

at last i say something worthy lol.... *BOWS* thank you, id like to thank my father, my gran, my postman, the milkman, the cup of tea i had when i wrote it PMSL.....

#38 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Anita.

Me too.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#39 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Anita.

In my opinion this site is a place where we can get away from wiccans, I dont want to come here and disscuss things not pertinent to this site. I do not hide behind PM's either am not scared to say what I have to say in public!

#40 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

In my opinion this site is a place where we can get away from wiccans, I dont want to come here and disscuss things not pertinent to this site. I do not hide behind PM's either am not scared to say what I have to say in public!

It has nothing to do with being scared. Of course what you do is your personal choice and that is same for everyone. I agree with you on the Wiccan issue and this site as I have stated before.

Anita.