Photo
- - - - -

Trad.Witch and Wicca, The Differences

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Telluria

Telluria

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:56 AM

Was not sure where to post so move if needed

I was browsing the net and came upon and interesting site on the differences between wicca and withcraft. Its a good place to start for someone who may not be sure whats what.

http://www.empathys.co.uk/17.html

(did a search did not find the same link, apologies if its a duplacate)

#2 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

I suppose its a good link to send people who are confused about the differences. But to be honest, this topic has been discussed countless times on this forum, and i'm sure we all know the differences already.
"Let it all be animal, my life and death, hard and clean like that, anything but human... a lot I care, me with my red heart in the dark earth and my tattooed feet following the animal ways."
-Vali Myers ~ 1963

#3 Tuathasidhe

Tuathasidhe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

Thanks, its one ive saved for later. While I know the differences, I think this lays it out easy for people to understand.

#4 herbal_legends

herbal_legends

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, its one ive saved for later. While I know the differences, I think this lays it out easy for people to understand.

I agree. Thanks :)

#5 Rowan Stormsong

Rowan Stormsong

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

Well being new to traditional witchcraft myself, I am still a little confused. The article says a Book of Shadows is purely wiccan, but did not say if the Grimoire is or not (I may have just mis-read it). Can trads have a Grimoire? I'm asking because I am a scrapbooker and have made a scrapbook that contains photos, spellcraft, articles, my own journal writings, etc... and would like to call it my grimoire. But if not, then a simple scrapbook journal it shall remain. :)

Rowan S.

http://www.marykay.com/bwalker72

#6 Telluria

Telluria

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

It's more of a personal prefrence, I have a journal of my experiences. I also like to scrapbook, that sounds like a nice idea.

Melissa

#7 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

I have what I call a formulary. It's kinda like a grimoire, only there's no spells or rituals, just basic instructions for concoctions, herbs and their uses and so forth with things like stones and what not. It's like a witchy cookbook of sorts.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Well being new to traditional witchcraft myself, I am still a little confused. The article says a Book of Shadows is purely wiccan, but did not say if the Grimoire is or not (I may have just mis-read it). Can trads have a Grimoire? I'm asking because I am a scrapbooker and have made a scrapbook that contains photos, spellcraft, articles, my own journal writings, etc... and would like to call it my grimoire. But if not, then a simple scrapbook journal it shall remain. :)

Rowan S.

I'd say a trad (or anyone else for that matter) can have anything they want,lol! I've seen "exact" definitions of grim vs. BoS and some say one is more spells while the other more rituals, etc. I have a book (about 10 actually) where I record some spells, herb interactions, dreams, tooth-paste receipes, thoughts, "ah-ha" moments, meanderings, rituals, etc. I sometimes call it a BoS because it's easier for me to spell. Most times I just refer to them as my "leather hand-written books." It's very enlightening to read back over my older beliefs, see the "ah-ha" moments and then see then new path that leads me down and the deeper into the Mysteries it leads. The diff between trad and wicca is probably as many and as varied as how many different witches/neo-pagans/pagans/mystics/occultists/etc., you ask. I'd say don't conecntrate on being one thing or the other, concentrate on just doing what feels right to you.

#9 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

I find that each year I learn something new about the changing seasons, seasonal customs, plants etc, and so I started keepng a book divided into sections so that I can update and add to it as the year turns. Its great too as the following year I can re-read things, and just keep adding to it. I am hoping it just becomes a big reference book which I can pass down. :vhappywitch: I also keep a separate journal thought for thoughts and stuff, and its a good laugh reading back to the old stuff, when I was trying to find my way!

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

My Grimoire is massive and affectionately referred to as "The Book". It contains potions, spells, musings, etc. It's funny to see the spells that I cast when I was 6, 13, 21, etc. years old. I've changed a lot and grown more powerful.

Jevne

#11 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

My Grimoire is massive and affectionately referred to as "The Book". It contains potions, spells, musings, etc. It's funny to see the spells that I cast when I was 6, 13, 21, etc. years old. I've changed a lot and grown more powerful.

Jevne

I must admit I love that you call it 'The Book', thats brilliant, nice and to the point. B)

#12 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Call it whatever makes you happy. Mine is a workbook.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#13 herbal_legends

herbal_legends

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

I'd say don't conecntrate on being one thing or the other, concentrate on just doing what feels right to you.

I agree

#14 Paminal

Paminal

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

Interesting reading :) My recordings are on paper, disc, napkins, heheheh even a piece of cedar wood. Throughout it all you will find, dreams, impressions, spells, recipes, musings, attempts that work attempts that fail, maybe even a venting session or 2 . LOL If it comes to mind and I have a pen/pencil and I feel the need to write it down then I do so. BF calls it the "junk cabinet." Son calls it the "don't touch anything in there or Mom will wig out space." I call it Mine ;)

#15 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Was not sure where to post so move if needed

I was browsing the net and came upon and interesting site on the differences between wicca and withcraft. Its a good place to start for someone who may not be sure whats what.

http://www.empathys.co.uk/17.html

(did a search did not find the same link, apologies if its a duplacate)

I think thats an easy one to understand wiccans r pretend fluffy bunnies true witches have what is needed inside them, gut instinct and intent!

Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway:

#16 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

wiccans r pretend fluffy bunnies

Marshy, I haven't been here long, but the posts I've read of yours lead me to believe that you really don't like fluffy bunnies, do you!? :)

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#17 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

I think thats an easy one to understand wiccans r pretend fluffy bunnies true witches have what is needed inside them, gut instinct and intent!

<_<

That's a pretty judgmental thing to say, and also a horrendous generalisation. Obviously there are a lot of fluffies out there, but there are also serious people among Wiccans: people who know their stuff and are neither pretend or fluffies. I have actually had the pleasure of exchanging thoughts with some of them.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#18 Guest_Alayna_*

Guest_Alayna_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Posted Image

That's a pretty judgmental thing to say, and also a horrendous generalisation. Obviously there are a lot of fluffies out there, but there are also serious people among Wiccans: people who know their stuff and are neither pretend or fluffies. I have actually had the pleasure of exchanging thoughts with some of them.

So have I Oceana. Most of my circle of friends are Wiccan...and they know their stuff, are very dedicated and knowledgable. They may do somethings a bit differently etc...but they're still powerful.

Alayna

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

So have I Oceana. Most of my circle of friends are Wiccan...and they know their stuff, are very dedicated and knowledgable. They may do somethings a bit differently etc...but they're still powerful.

Alayna

That may be a point there - not that they don't have power, but how they choose to use or not use it. Also, the original Wicca from England was a lot differnet than what turned into neo-paganism and eclectic wicca. The original woman I trained with was Wiccan. When we frist started working with energy and she was showing me the difference between a "push" and a "pull" when she shot energy at me, and we were just sitting at her kitchen table, it was like something was physically pushing me off the chair. I had to fight to stay on it. She followed the rede and the 3 fold, as was her choice, but I would never consider her fluffy. I have seen things in neo-pagan events that made me cringe, but that was my fault, lol... no one forced me to go watch it. I do agree there are a lot of "wannabes" out there, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I think the tides are changing and although the wannabe can be annoying, it is making the mystical more acceptable to the mainstream. And it's not a matter of needing to be accepted, it's a matter of a positive change in perception of the culture as a whole. Suddenly living green is "cool" and that's not a bad thing.

M

#20 Foxfur

Foxfur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

Call it whatever makes you happy. Mine is a workbook.

Yeh, so's mine because I don't need a big journal thingy yet, if I even get one. Still practicing and reading :party9:

G. Lyons { Whomever understands life, will understand me}
{ The person who rejects life as it is, cannot ever understand}