The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent

Scott

Greetings All

Well here we go again .... it is about time that I put something else in here ... soooo here goes ...

This series is now weighing into what, it's eighth book?

Now I know there are a LOT of fifteen novel fantasy series - well most of them are pretty fascile to say the best of them. These really aren't. In the First Chronicles there are three books - Lord Foul's Bane, The Illearth War and The Power That Preserves.

The Second Chronicles has three novels also. They are - The Wounded Land, The One Tree and White Gold Wielder. There is also a third under construction of which only one book has been released so far - The Runes of the Earth.

They deal with a leper who awakes in another world to find himself hailed as a hero - a reincarnation of an ancient warrior mage sort. In the Land all things have life and healing and he finds he is expected to save this land from it's ancient Enemy Lord Foul the Despiser. All while maintaining his sanity.

These are NOT easy books to read and frankly everyone I know falls into "Loved it" or "Hated it". They are slow to start, the main character is basically an asshole who it is made virtually impossible to empathise with, (let alone like) and the whole of the series has a depth that you may not have encountered since Tolkien.

That last one is for real by the way - we hear it a lot and well it siomply ain't so as most fantasy readers discover to their dismay. These buggers, (if you get into them) will be the sort you read and reread over and over again - getting something out of them each time. They deal with the fundamentals of life and unlife - good and evil etc.

They are full of magic - literally.

Hi Scott,

I remember these books, as you say slow to get into but brilliant once you do get into them. Didn't realise there was another series, will have to look out for it :)

I'd got as far as series 2 but didn't know there was a three ....Yes they are brilliant lyrical /allagorical books but don't quite fall into my reading in the bath catergory because they really need attention for you to get the full effect.

I have the first two series, all signed by the author. I am one of the "loved them" people. I too didn't realize there were more, guess I'll be visiting my local book store when I go to the shops on Thursday!

StarChilde

Archived