Photo
- - - - -

Tarot Reading Learning Curve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just curious ... for those of you who are seasoned (or semi-seasoned) Tarot readers, how do you get past the initial learning curve. Perhaps it is just my problem alone but I really am struggling to do readings on others. I have had one Tarot deck for years and years and do readings on myself ever so often. The readings are usually dead-on and very helpful but they don't provide me with "divination" but rather seem to get to the heart of the matter and give me clarity.

A Tarot reader I know just said to practice if you want to do readings for other people. So, I've pulled out my deck and done readings on my husband and whoaa - it was so hard. I couldn't remember the cards meanings ... my gut instincts are were all a jumble trying to convey impressions to another person ... it was a lot harder than I expected. My DH didn't have much patience either with my humming and hawing (I was losing credibility rapidly).

Any ideas on how to improve my skills?

Thank you!

#2 Trollvind

Trollvind

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hello ElizabethNicks,

From what you describe it could be that you are putting too much pressure on yourself to be precise and accurate. So the first advice is to try to relax and enter your readings with a more playful attitude.

Also, if your hubby, or anyone else you are reading for, already is a bit sceptical then chances are your are taking it into yourself and adding to the presssure.

When I first started out reading for others, I found that it was a lot easier to read for people I didn't know. Now of course your can't just go out and pull the first stranger off the street. But what you CAN do is practice reading for other things than yourself.

For instance if you know of a competition in your area, do a reading for the outcome of that.

Read your local weather for the coming week.

Things like that... make sure you do readings for things your can check later, in the local papaer, or asking your friend.

You can also ask a friend if you may do a reading and not tell him/her until later. Make it a week reading or another short period of your choise, maybe do a reading for something a friend is going to do, like going on a job interview or a date. Write your reading down and ask you friend to also write down what has happened to them. Afterwards you meet and compare notes.

This way you will get confirmations which over time will build your self asteem.

If any of this is unclear, just ask, I'll try to explain better

Posted Image

#3 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

When I first started out reading for others, I found that it was a lot easier to read for people I didn't know. Now of course your can't just go out and pull the first stranger off the street. But what you CAN do is practice reading for other things than yourself.

You can also ask a friend if you may do a reading and not tell him/her until later. Make it a week reading or another short period of your choise, maybe do a reading for something a friend is going to do, like going on a job interview or a date. Write your reading down and ask you friend to also write down what has happened to them. Afterwards you meet and compare notes.

This way you will get confirmations which over time will build your self asteem.

I totally agree with you on this, Trollvind. Reading for a stranger is alot easier, some of my gal pals think so too. They will do a read, and then ask me to do a read. Oftimes, the readings are very similiar with a more conclusive outcome. Which delights the person who had thier cards read. Iregardless if the reading had valuable information or not it gives the person who your reading for, the option of gleening the info with a clearer mind or nudge them to clarity on a particular vibe their getting. I also agree with you being the reader, to " ask " your friend. That allows the permission a freedom opening. I just like knowing that freedom of choice thing, besides its polite.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#4 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

Reading for friends who are sympathetic to occult matters, but understand that you are just learning is best. I did a reading for someone I wanted to impress (oh his chin is so sexy! ack). And I really really pushed myself not to pull out the little white book. After years of practicing on sympathetic friends, who didn't mind if I pulled out the white book, I finally had it down. I remembered the meanings of all but one card, so at the end I did look up that one card in order to clarify the reading. I think I didn't unimpress him, so I was proud. I think reading and rereading books that describe the meanings of the cards and the symbols in the cards, and practicing with them for kind friends is the best. There is little point for a new reader to read for skeptical people, it will just ruin the fun!
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#5 catchyusername

catchyusername

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

I wouldn't mind trying this but wouldn't know where to begin. I looked on the UK site of amazon but there were more than one type of Tarot decks, what would anyone here recommend?

#6 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

I wouldn't mind trying this but wouldn't know where to begin. I looked on the UK site of amazon but there were more than one type of Tarot decks, what would anyone here recommend?

Gosh Catchy, I just went with the Tarot Deck that spoke to me. There is an abundant sets out there for sure. But my 'gut' told me that was the deck for me. I have 2 sets of Tarot Decks, that I am pleased with, they both spoke to me in that way. It's rather cool, when both the decks I use, come up with the same conclusions at times for me, or for whomever I read for. But in all honesty, my ' gut ' told me which ones to purchase, and cleanse, and use. I hope this helps !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#7 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

Something that might help is to watch and observe others give readings. Go on Youtube and watch a few videos. Check out Paul Hughes Barlow's Playlist on Youtube which shows him giving a reading, then search out others to see how they do it just to get some ideas on how to work with your sitters.

#8 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Not to derail the OP's topic, but check out Aeclectic Tarot, and browse through the decks to see which one speaks to you. If you're new to Tarot, it might be best to start out with a deck that is based on the Rider Waite symbolism since there are so many resources/books based on that system available to help you learn.

#9 catchyusername

catchyusername

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:26 AM

Not to derail the OP's topic, but check out Aeclectic Tarot, and browse through the decks to see which one speaks to you. If you're new to Tarot, it might be best to start out with a deck that is based on the Rider Waite symbolism since there are so many resources/books based on that systems available to help you learn.

Thank you for that :-)

#10 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

Thank you for that :-)

Definitely join the forum at Aeclectic Tarot, it's a fantastically supportive online community. Learning the tarot is going to involve some study, but the way you approach that is really up to you. :) I personally would advise starting out with a Rider-Waite Smith deck, there are many variations. The Druidcraft is a really lovely tarot. My favourite RWS clone is Universal Waite. Check out all the decks on Aeclectic Tarot. Another good site is Taroteca, that one will show you ever single card in a deck, and you can view them in a slide show. Check this out:

http://taroteca.mult...370/Druid_Craft

http://taroteca.mult...Universal_Waite

#11 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

I feel like a bit of an odd ball on this. I purchased both the Rider-Waite and the Thoth at the same time. I had good results with the Thoth immediately, but rarely have any luck at all with the Rider-Waite. This seems to be the opposite of everyone else's comments I've ever read. I'm not so good at not using the little book,though. My memory really stinks and when I try to do it completely intuitively, I miss the mark on many of them. I guess more practice needed. Posted Image

#12 JessicaAFM

JessicaAFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:40 AM

Ditto on the Aeclectic Tarot site, although I don't participate in the forums, the site is a great reference for me and full of Tarot eye candy :loveeyes:

Also, I already mentioned this in the most recent thread, but I think too much effort is placed on the meanings as perceived by authors of Tarot guidebooks. Now maybe if the artist is writing a guide for their cards I could see that making a difference but most of the guides are not written by the person drawing the symbols. And as so many have mentioned, your inside self is the best guide you will ever need in Tarot work. I also find that the more elaborate cards with deeper subtler imagery work better than the Rider Waite decks, but that is my personal preference.

Jessica

#13 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

Ditto on the Aeclectic Tarot site, although I don't participate in the forums, the site is a great reference for me and full of Tarot eye candy :loveeyes:

Also, I already mentioned this in the most recent thread, but I think too much effort is placed on the meanings as perceived by authors of Tarot guidebooks. Now maybe if the artist is writing a guide for their cards I could see that making a difference but most of the guides are not written by the person drawing the symbols. And as so many have mentioned, your inside self is the best guide you will ever need in Tarot work. I also find that the more elaborate cards with deeper subtler imagery work better than the Rider Waite decks, but that is my personal preference.

Jessica

You know, Jessica-I think you just nailed my problem right on the proverbial head! I have been thinking that, because my intuitive reading does not match up with what the "little book" says, that I am wrong. I'm not even sure why I developed that idea. You just did me a major favor-I have a very strong "gut instinct" on most things, so why in the hell am I questioning what I feel because of what the book says........duh!! Thank you!!! :chakrahearts:
Elizabeth

#14 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

My biggest learning curve was chucking away the little book. I mainly use a Rider Waite deck but have been given the Pagan Tarot (twice - "because you're into that sort of thing". Really? Are you asking or telling me?) and I have the Cat People and a Native American deck, and I covet the Marsailles deck (used to have it and gave it away). Also, I've found that individual meditations on each card really helped too although it did take quite a while.
"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#15 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

Just curious ... for those of you who are seasoned (or semi-seasoned) Tarot readers, how do you get past the initial learning curve. Perhaps it is just my problem alone but I really am struggling to do readings on others. I have had one Tarot deck for years and years and do readings on myself ever so often. The readings are usually dead-on and very helpful but they don't provide me with "divination" but rather seem to get to the heart of the matter and give me clarity.

A Tarot reader I know just said to practice if you want to do readings for other people. So, I've pulled out my deck and done readings on my husband and whoaa - it was so hard. I couldn't remember the cards meanings ... my gut instincts are were all a jumble trying to convey impressions to another person ... it was a lot harder than I expected. My DH didn't have much patience either with my humming and hawing (I was losing credibility rapidly).

Thank you!

Hello Elizabeth Nickerson,

Although I respect the learn the tarot intuitively advice and know it to be a valid way.. 
I think it can be a big block to many, initially anyhow..
Even If we are using the tarot as a purely divinationary tool, each card does have a commonly accepted meaning or set of meanings.. not that you cant go beyond that and discover more layers within it, but these meanings work as a foundation which can then be built upon.
And plus if your using a non pictorial minor then that's even harder to learn intuitively.. 

I found using mneumonics helped me massively..

For example for one suit, I came up with: POP CV DS RB
Which translates as POP Curriculum Vitae (to) Detective Sergeant Robert Burns.

All the capital letters being the first letter of the one word foundation meaning to the Wands suit 2-10

POP (2,3,4) Partnership, Opportunity, Prosperity.
C.V (5,6) Challenge, Victory
D.S (7,8) Defiance, Swiftness
R.B (9,10) Resiliance, Burden

POP Curriculum Vitae to Detective Sergeant Robert Burns.

With this method you can have practical command of the tarot and memorised all the generic meanings in less than a day.. What takes the time is working out the mneumonics.. 

But it means that even when faced with a non pictorial minor you have the key to unlock the meaning.. Till it's in your long term memory. Then you can bin the mneumonic..  

Having said that, the tarot is an intuitive art, but also a practical tool.. When my Dad used to read tarot professionaly, He told me that when a client called him to book an appointment, He would on speaking to them already pick up things about them and get flashes of their life, which would be confirmed when the client visited..and the cards themselves would really just be a secondary tool that gave that extra bit of insight.

So I would say, spend time memorising key words to long term memory.. Then you can throw this out of the window when intuition kicks in.. It's just a tool to have in your armoury at the beginning, to aid your memory, in situations like the one you describribed with your husband. 

I love this line from the film 'True Romance':

"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

This sums it up for me..

#16 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

All good advice above, especially in using both intuition and learning the main meanings behind the cards.

Like everything it takes time, practice and patience. The first thing is to relax and enjoy the cards. I have not practised reading for anyone for a while - use to do readings for family but don't any more. Just do readings for myself. I would advise to continue practising for yourself. I prefer cards with symbols and imagery as this helps kick start my intuition.

Before reading the card meanings - Spend time with the cards, look at them as a whole. I put out three cards fairly often and look at them as a whole and in relation to my intuition. Another thing is to often pull out one card from the deck and read it, look at it, meditate on it and then read the meaning. And I completely agree about leaning key words - learning about the key meanings behind the cards.

Another thing I do is make notes based on my memory reading of the card and my intuition. I will then compare it to what the card says. - I still do this from time to time. However I never ignore my gut feeling about what a reading is telling me, and I will go with the this and not simply the individual meaning for each card.

If you are reading for people now, don't worry about remembering all the cards there. Go by your gut with cards you can not remember, just look at the imaginary - what is it telling you, its then your gut kicks in. And have a book close by, its ok to check if you can't remember. Read for friends and tell them that you are practising, and that you may need the book now and again, you can always add your own advice to the card meaning, if reading the card then triggers an ah moment, a gut reaction. And approach it in a fun and relaxed way.

#17 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Not that I consider myself an expert, but I feel that the key to knowing the Tarot is to understand and break it down into into it's constituent parts.
Start with the suits, usually, Wands, Cups, Swords, and Pentacles, though different decks will use various but similar avatars.
Wands are activity, passion, element Fire: they relate to goals, career, life, etc..
Cups are emotion and intuition, element Water; they relate to feelings, relationships, psychic ability, etc..
Swords are mental acuity or conflict, element Air; they relate to planning, ideas, intelligence, or conflict..
Pentacles are possessions or health, element Earth; they relate to material goods, wealth, or health, etc..

So that helps you to categorize a bit.

Next you learn that the numbers all relate in certain ways, usually in accordance with Numerology.
Here's a quick interpretation:

Aces (Ones) are the spark, a beginning, a new direction
Twos are the number of pairing, duality, partnerships or rivals
Threes are the number of creation, groups, family.
Fours are the number of stability, home, grounding
Fives are usually an unpleasant number; chaos, conflict, losing something (not necessarily physically)
Sixes are the number of balance and harmony, perhaps offering a solution of equilibrium
Sevens are, like Fives, commonly unpleasant; they can represent loss of control or self, you find yourself in uncharted waters
Eights are the number of action, transformation, achievement (especially the 8 of Wands!)
Nines are the number of near completion, realization, the penultimate, promise, hope
Tens are the number of full completion; what the Ace of the suit began, the Ten sees to full completion
Court cards.. well, my fingers are tired now.. ;)

So you just need to put 2 and 2 together, so to speak, and you can get an idea of what the card is saying without having to memorize 78 different things. There is an underlying, consistent system to it.

Try these links for better explanations of the same:
http://www.aeclectic...learn/meanings/
http://www.learntarot.com
(both are free)

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#18 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thanks you for these replies!

#19 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

Shouldn't forget Oak's awesome thread about this from November 2009...

The Art of Memory

I found this eye-opening.

P

#20 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

Shouldn't forget Oak's awesome thread about this from November 2009...

The Art of Memory

I found this eye-opening.

P

:cool: I was having a conversation quite recently about this technique with someone, I found it very interesting. ;) Thank you P for posting the link.