Anita Blake The Vampire Hunter

Guest PhoenixDragonHeart

Guest PhoenixDragonHeart

I absolutely love this series. Full of drama, conflict, moral choices...I truely believe that there is at least one thing in each book that everyone could relate to in one form or another. It just captures the mind and actually really makes you think about your own morals and codes. Has anyone else read this series? Let me know!;)

Actually yes I have. A wonderful series I agree. Also you may be interested in "Dead Witch Walking" (sorry can't place my hands on the book right now and cannot remember author, but can swear it is a good book!)...it runs along the same lines as the Anita Blakes series :)

Guest PhoenixDragonHeart

Thanks! I'll deffinetly look that up! I'm such a hard to please book worm that any recommendation is greatly appreciated.:D

• 1 year later...

Other series, along these lines, that I've loved are

• Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy is dark fantasy at its finest, in my humble opinion, with a hint of humor and a lot of sensuality.
  • Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson Series is wonderful urban fantasy with just the right touch of darkness and sexual tension.
  • Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Trilogy is perhaps one of the darkest fantasy novels I've ever read. Death magic is used to disguise the princess as her twin brother, and she is then haunted by him and has to keep it secret that she is the prophesied princess and not just the kings nephew... great read.
  • Kate Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan Series is an epic fantasy, but it has just enough sexual tension and dark undertones to keep me going back to it. It starts with Witches fleeing witchhunts in Scotland on a ship that breaches the worlds, and ends with the ancestors of those witches fighting against the genocide of their people.

If / when I become a member, I'd be happy to "ring" these. I don't know how many of ya'll are BookCrossers, so forgive me if the explaination is unnecessary, but that means that I have all of the books and would be willing to send them to someone to read, who would then send them to the next person, who would then send them to the next person, and so on and so forth until they end up back with me. When you read a lot, shipping a book media mail is a whole hell of a lot cheaper than buying it, heh. I also have LKH's novels (AB, not Merry Gentry, because I didn't care for that series).

Just thought I'd give my suggestions on a really old thread, because of the thousands of books I've read, these are the only fiction series I've kept and read over and over again.

Guest Rebie
Other series, along these lines, that I've loved are

• Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy is dark fantasy at its finest, in my humble opinion, with a hint of humor and a lot of sensuality.
  • Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson Series is wonderful urban fantasy with just the right touch of darkness and sexual tension.
  • Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Trilogy is perhaps one of the darkest fantasy novels I've ever read. Death magic is used to disguise the princess as her twin brother, and she is then haunted by him and has to keep it secret that she is the prophesied princess and not just the kings nephew... great read.
  • Kate Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan Series is an epic fantasy, but it has just enough sexual tension and dark undertones to keep me going back to it. It starts with Witches fleeing witchhunts in Scotland on a ship that breaches the worlds, and ends with the ancestors of those witches fighting against the genocide of their people.

If / when I become a member, I'd be happy to "ring" these. I don't know how many of ya'll are BookCrossers, so forgive me if the explaination is unnecessary, but that means that I have all of the books and would be willing to send them to someone to read, who would then send them to the next person, who would then send them to the next person, and so on and so forth until they end up back with me. When you read a lot, shipping a book media mail is a whole hell of a lot cheaper than buying it, heh. I also have LKH's novels (AB, not Merry Gentry, because I didn't care for that series).

Just thought I'd give my suggestions on a really old thread, because of the thousands of books I've read, these are the only fiction series I've kept and read over and over again.

That is a great idea.

Rebie

Just had a look at some of those books on amazon....deff like the look of the Black Jewels Trilogy, Anita Blake Series and Dead Wich Walking. Amazon couldn't find the others.

I like the idea too and would be happy to add my own to the ring

LOL just when I was looking for a new book, this thread pops up. I'm definitely going to check out the Dead Witch Walking series, and I just absolutely love Laurell Hamilton (sp?).

Has anyone read the Sign of Seven Trilogy by Nora Roberts? It's only up to book 2 atm, but it's turning out to be quite a good series.

Since ya'll like the idea, I'll explain it a bit further.

• Rings are, as I've said, when you send a book to one person, who sends it to another, who in turn sends it to another, until it comes back to you.
  • Spirals are exactly like rings, but they usually include an entire series that is sent at intervals of two weeks or one month. That way, one person doesn't end up with ten books all at once, and if someone doesn't like the first book in the series, they can drop out of the spiral without having to ship a bunch of books.
  • Rays are similar to rings, but the book doesn't come back to you. The last person to receive the book can in turn send it on a ring or ray, keep it, or pass it on to someone else.
  • Boxes provide people with a way to get rid of books that they don't want, and pick up ones that they do. The coordinator fills a box with books and sends it to the first person, who takes out what they're interested in and replaces it with an equal number of books. It goes down the line, then is returned to the original person.
  • The person that starts a ring/spiral/ray/box usually offers the book, collects the location and shipping preferences (only US, only NA, only UK, international, etc.) of people who want to read it, and then sets a shipping order. That way, people overseas can read books that might not be available to them, people on limited budgets don't have to pay heavy international shipping costs but can still participate, and the people who are willing to ship outside of the area they are in can be staggered (if they are in numerous rings) so that they aren't always the person that has to fork out a bunch of cash. You can also organize it so that the faster readers get the books first. I read at the rate of two books per day, but a lot of people need the full month because they're slow readers or are working a hectic job.
  • If you have a group of people who buy a lot of new releases, you can maintain a list of who is planning to buy what, so that you don't buy it yourself and can instead "borrow" it.

Doing this is really helpful for people who live in rural areas. My library doesn't carry the type of books that I read. ;-) It's also fun because most people add something to the package when they send a book on (a mix CD, bookmark or stickers for the other persons kids or grandkids is usually what they add... but with a group of witches, I can imagine other things being thrown in, heh).

I'll hold the books I've purchased recently until I make full member, then see if anyone wants to read them (instead of giving them to the used bookstore). Maybe if one of the admins or mods are interested in this sort of thing, and enough people want to try it out, they can make a group for us or something. It's been years since I've done this, and I miss that childish excitement when I check the mail and find a book that I've been wanting to read, LoL.

Along similar lines, how many people use swap-bot.com? We could always host our own private witchy swaps. Those are also fun.

Hell, getting mail is fun. LoL.

Yeah, started reading the Anita Blake books a few years ago and have them all now, except the most recent one which came out last month I think.

They started out being really good but the last few have deteriorated in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like plenty of hot steamy sex in my books but there comes a point when it's just sex, sex, sex and no plot at all. Laurell K Hamilton seems to have run out of ideas as each books seems to be a rehash of the previous one recently. Shame.

The Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris (Vampire Mysteries) are sooooo much better. Love them.

They've made a series based on the Vampire Mysteries books which is called True Blood and airs on HBO on 7 September (Alan Ball who did 'Six Feet Under' is doing them). I'm practically tearing my hair out to see it but it's not scheduled to come to the UK yet so I envy everyone in the US now. I'm completely obsessed with these books! My fiance managed to get a copy of the pre-aired pilot which aired in the US last year, but not entirely legally!! Sookie is played by Anna Paquin.

Yeah, started reading the Anita Blake books a few years ago and have them all now, except the most recent one which came out last month I think.

They started out being really good but the last few have deteriorated in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like plenty of hot steamy sex in my books but there comes a point when it's just sex, sex, sex and no plot at all. Laurell K Hamilton seems to have run out of ideas as each books seems to be a rehash of the previous one recently. Shame.

I agree completely! I keep buying the books in the hopes that they'll get better, but... I don't think that they will. Now I read them and howl with laughter. I once kept a list of how many men she slept with, what weird acts she'd participated in, and how many times she'd done it. I was amazed that someone could write a 500 page sex scene. o_O

I agree completely! I keep buying the books in the hopes that they'll get better, but... I don't think that they will. Now I read them and howl with laughter. I once kept a list of how many men she slept with, what weird acts she'd participated in, and how many times she'd done it. I was amazed that someone could write a 500 page sex scene. o_O

Spot on Fallen Angel, I keep reading them for that reason - surely they will end soon?!!!

It even irritates me that though the whole plot seems to be sex related, it wouldn't be quite so annoying if Anita would just for ?$%&*'s sake relent and get on with it, instead of constantly restraining herself and feeling bad about having so much sex. She must be one damn irresistable woman as every man she meets seems to want to screw her brains out and/or settle down with her - and we're supposed to relate to her as a character? - I wish!!!

Of course, I will have to keep reading just in case I miss something good, damnit!

Spot on Fallen Angel, I keep reading them for that reason - surely they will end soon?!!!

It even irritates me that though the whole plot seems to be sex related, it wouldn't be quite so annoying if Anita would just for ?$%&*'s sake relent and get on with it, instead of constantly restraining herself and feeling bad about having so much sex. She must be one damn irresistable woman as every man she meets seems to want to screw her brains out and/or settle down with her - and we're supposed to relate to her as a character? - I wish!!!

Of course, I will have to keep reading just in case I miss something good, damnit!

I wish they'd just get rid of the arduer. Everything would be so much better then. She hasn't raised a zombie in how long...? And she supposed to be unable to go for too long without doing it, or she'll start to raise them by accident. So where's the neglected zombies while she's screwing everything in sight? Heh.

I wish they'd just get rid of the arduer. Everything would be so much better then. She hasn't raised a zombie in how long...? And she supposed to be unable to go for too long without doing it, or she'll start to raise them by accident. So where's the neglected zombies while she's screwing everything in sight? Heh.

Yeah, good point, what the hell happened to her original life as a necromancer? Maybe she'll start screwing the zombies next?!!

Shame when writers lose the plot but so many of them do! I used to like patricia cornwells books but the last few are so boring and badly written that it was a chore to get to the end....you carry on in the vain hope that they might get better!

Since ya'll like the idea, I'll explain it a bit further.

• Rings are, as I've said, when you send a book to one person, who sends it to another, who in turn sends it to another, until it comes back to you.
  • Spirals are exactly like rings, but they usually include an entire series that is sent at intervals of two weeks or one month. That way, one person doesn't end up with ten books all at once, and if someone doesn't like the first book in the series, they can drop out of the spiral without having to ship a bunch of books.
  • Rays are similar to rings, but the book doesn't come back to you. The last person to receive the book can in turn send it on a ring or ray, keep it, or pass it on to someone else.
  • Boxes provide people with a way to get rid of books that they don't want, and pick up ones that they do. The coordinator fills a box with books and sends it to the first person, who takes out what they're interested in and replaces it with an equal number of books. It goes down the line, then is returned to the original person.
  • The person that starts a ring/spiral/ray/box usually offers the book, collects the location and shipping preferences (only US, only NA, only UK, international, etc.) of people who want to read it, and then sets a shipping order. That way, people overseas can read books that might not be available to them, people on limited budgets don't have to pay heavy international shipping costs but can still participate, and the people who are willing to ship outside of the area they are in can be staggered (if they are in numerous rings) so that they aren't always the person that has to fork out a bunch of cash. You can also organize it so that the faster readers get the books first. I read at the rate of two books per day, but a lot of people need the full month because they're slow readers or are working a hectic job.
  • If you have a group of people who buy a lot of new releases, you can maintain a list of who is planning to buy what, so that you don't buy it yourself and can instead "borrow" it.

Doing this is really helpful for people who live in rural areas. My library doesn't carry the type of books that I read. ;-) It's also fun because most people add something to the package when they send a book on (a mix CD, bookmark or stickers for the other persons kids or grandkids is usually what they add... but with a group of witches, I can imagine other things being thrown in, heh).

I'll hold the books I've purchased recently until I make full member, then see if anyone wants to read them (instead of giving them to the used bookstore). Maybe if one of the admins or mods are interested in this sort of thing, and enough people want to try it out, they can make a group for us or something. It's been years since I've done this, and I miss that childish excitement when I check the mail and find a book that I've been wanting to read, LoL.

Along similar lines, how many people use swap-bot.com? We could always host our own private witchy swaps. Those are also fun.

Hell, getting mail is fun. LoL.

Great idea!

Hidden
Yeah, good point, what the hell happened to her original life as a necromancer? Maybe she'll start screwing the zombies next?!!

Well, with all of the different creatures she's been hopping into bed with lately... zombies might just be next up! I heard somewhere that she basically said "screw it!" to her readers and continued to write weird sex scenes because... well, because she's a bit nutty, it seems! LoL.

Hidden
I heard somewhere that she basically said "screw it!" to her readers and continued to write weird sex scenes because... well, because she's a bit nutty, it seems! LoL.

Yeah, I heard that too. Unfortunately, as it's a general consensus that her books are going downhill, maybe she should take the hint and as for her telling her fans to go jump, people will only take so much of that. Get a clue Laurell K Hamilton!

• 1 month later...

I do love the Anita Blake series but i agree, it's getting a little ridiculous with all the sex, i understand that it's all part of the 'arduer' getting stronger etc but yeah where is the necromancy?? At least in the harlequin she kinda went back into the politics etc and introduced new characters and there wasn't so much sex - yay, but i haven't read the latest one yet so who knows lol :D Also it will be interesting to see what happens when they start making the movie, still in the works with script writers etc at the moment but it will be so interesting to see the casting!

i love the Kim Harrison series but i'm a bit behind on that as well, motherhood gets in the way of my reading most days, lol! I also like the sooky stackhouse novels but i like Laurell's better, but that's just my opinion.

I love the AB series, though do agree with the consensus that her later novels are lacking in some of the more interesting plots of the first say 10 or so..

I did try to read the Kim Harrison series and got as far as the third book which I just found was dragged out (maybe because I was used to the fast pace of Hamilton). Kelly Armstrong has a few books out there which I found good (Dimestore Magic and Industrial Magic among others in the "Women of the Otherworld" series).

Tanya Huff is a Canadian writer and her "Blood Series" I thought was really good. Her work was made into a short lived tv series called Blood Ties.

Guest Bansheekisses
I love the AB series, though do agree with the consensus that her later novels are lacking in some of the more interesting plots of the first say 10 or so..

I did try to read the Kim Harrison series and got as far as the third book which I just found was dragged out (maybe because I was used to the fast pace of Hamilton). Kelly Armstrong has a few books out there which I found good (Dimestore Magic and Industrial Magic among others in the "Women of the Otherworld" series).

Tanya Huff is a Canadian writer and her "Blood Series" I thought was really good. Her work was made into a short lived tv series called Blood Ties.

I dont know, I think Blood Noir was very good. It actually gave you some insight into Jason. Before you got a glimpse of the boy-ish charms and all, but never got to see what makes him tick.

Though, I dont know if I would like it if she continued to delve into EACH of Anita's boy toys lives and psyche. I don't know if I like what is going on with Richard either!

Have you seen the Comics? I personally love her tshirts. Especially the " jean-claude was here" one.

I could go on and on and on about the anita blake series. Have you read the Mary Gentry series at all?

As for the Blood ties series by Huff, I too have read and like them. The tv series was good, I was pretty put off when they stopped it! I could of literally ate the character of Henry alive! Mr.kyle schmid is YUMMY! I totally thought there could NEVER of been a better person to play Henry.

I also recommend Nina Bangs if you like the Laurell K Hamilton.

Archived