:( Not happy with what I had to do today :(

Mysteria

As title reads I am not happy with what I have had to do today but let me explain the big picture, so that everyone can understand and tell me if they think I am just a bitch or if I am doing what should be done. I do feel really bad about having to do what I have done.

OK, Living next door to us (for about 3 months now) is an older couple who have around 25+ dogs. Only 2 of these dogs have been outside since these people moved in. The rest are kept inside at all times, never seeing sunlight. They do have a fenced yard btw. The dogs are not spaded and I know for sure that they currently have one litter of pups, who's mother died sometime around this past friday. They called us wanting to know if it was ok to feed the puppies, cow milk because (as they said) "One of the other dogs, killed the mother dog and now the pups need to be bottle fed". Gary informed them that they would have to get pup formula or goats milk and not to give the pups cow milk. Not 30 sec. after he hung up the phone with them, they call back wanting us to drive them to the store. They have transportation btw, just don't like driving (I guess). Gary told them no we had already been to the store once today. On Sunday, while gary & I were getting in the car to go to store, I noticed that there was a dead dog partly wrapped in a blanket, laid across a chair on the front porch. So this dog has been there since at the least friday (when they called us).

I went out to check the mail a few ago and the damn dog is still on their front porch and you can smell it! So knowing that they are use to dealing with our city offical lady (I forget her name), I decided that I would call her, instead of the police dept. and let her know about the dog issue. I had to leave a message for her but made it very clear that I did not want these people knowing I had reported it to her but that she needed to call me & why.

It was bad enough that one can't stand on the sidewalk without smelling gross odors coming from inside their house. Now they are having dogs die and leaving them on the porch. Gary & I have done all we can to be friendly and nice to these people but i just can't go on knowing that these animals are suffering and not do anything about it. We have even gone as far as to help these people with water. They use our waterhose for water. Their water is currently off because the landlord will not cover the overage in their water bill, which landlord is at fault for. The main pipe was busted and they did not know when they moved in, so their 1st water bill was like $1,000 + . So for now they use our waterhose and we just have them pay their part of our water bill. I did not wish to be mean by reporting these people but I don't know what else to do. Gary & I have both tried to tell them (in a nice way) that they have too many dogs for their living conditions and there being only 2 of them to care for all the dogs but they refuse to get rid of any of them. I have even openly explained to the lady that they(the people) smell very bad. I don't think they are bad people but for some reason life has turned them into true hoarders who believe that the dogs they have couldn't live without them, nor they without the dogs. It is truely a sad twist of fate for them and the dogs.

Hi Mysteria,

no I don't think you're being a bitch.

People like that should not keep dogs! The conditions you describe are atrocious and no animals should be kept like that!!

I don't think you did anything wrong. First, that is too many dogs to have in that small of a space. Second, the dog should have been buried or cremated by then. My family has a lot of dogs and always have, but we live in a rural area and they are free to roam as they wish. I couldn't imagine us having that many dogs. I think you did the right thing.

Oh Mysteria, I don't know how you can stand it! I think you did completely the right thing. I would have called animal welfare by now.

You certainly couldn't overlook the dead dog being left for days out in the open, that is a big health risk.

I have a lovely little dog and would feel so bad if he was suffering in overcrowded and unclean conditions.

I take him for a long run everyday but it sounds as if these poor dogs don't get any exercise at all.

Really the best thing for the dogs would be if the authorities intervene and take them away. If the mother dog was killed by one of the other dogs then that is truly alarming.

All crowded in together they are turning savage from the sound of it. How long before they turn on a human?

Keep us updated with your progress and keep your chin up! xxx

I would have done the same as you and reported them because that is animal cruelty through neglect whether they (your neighbors) realize it or not. You've done a good deed for though's animals. There's a chance you may have sacrificed your rapport with the neighbors but at least you can sleep at night without feeling like you could of done something.

When one can do something for those in need, one should. Those animals need you. You are doing the right thing.

Jevne

The city offical lady called me back (damned if I just didn't forget her name, again LOL) but anywho, she is going to check on them tomorrow and claims she had no idea that they had that may dogs, even though she has been working closely with them for over a year and hears from them often. She plains to call the animal shelter, not gonna give them any location info but just find out what the options are for handling such issues. Then go from there

If I hear or see anything else I will post an update. She claims that she will keep me up to date on the goings on and I should do the same for her.

She did know about the dead dog on the porch and had already informed them @ around 8:am that they needed to take care of this issue NOW but I checked the mail at 3:pm and saw the dog was still there and begaining to smell.

About buring it; I really hope that it does not get buried in their yard because I know it had not recieved it's shots. Who knows what it may have had that could asorb into the soil. If they do bury it in their yard I hope they place it in a sealed plastic bag and pour bleach in the grave with it.

I just hope this don't come back to bite me (better yet my dogs) in the butt because I am over city allowed limit. My dogs however are very well cared for and have 5 people to see that all their needs are meet. I don't have near as many as they but more than what living within the city permits (I believe). We have 7 total; 5 Shih Tzu & 2 large mix breeds.

While my 2 larger dogs are mainly out door dogs (weather permiting), Our Shih Tzu are house dogs but have a doggy door that leads out into a doggy pen. Plus we have 2 large house lots (land) which = almost an acre of land. I have also taken Vet Tech & CPR course along with having a regular Vet that my dogs goto and having worked at animal shelters.

Which was another worry of mine. Having dogs and kids to worry about and living next to those kind of health conditions. From day one of them moving in I have been so worried that their hoarding was going to cause health issues for my dogs.

Side note: The house they live in is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Has no extra type spaces in it, just a basic must have layout.

OMG! Mysteria, of course you did the right thing! There has to be an ordinance for that kind of amount of animals in a 2 bedroom, one bath house. What a tough decision you had to make, kinda by default if I may be so bold. Somebody would of eventually turned them in. I'm just glad it was you. You have compassion. Those poor animals. I give you a big thumbs up for your compassionate courage for doing the right thing.

I will be watching the outcome in your posts. You are a hero.

With Deepest Regards,

Gypsy

AWWWWWWWW those poor babies!! :'( that is so sad they are going through that. i am a definite animal lover and i am so glad that you did that. i would have done the same thing. you did the right thing. everyone else is right. those babies needed you. (sorry i call ever dog or cat a baby lolz)

Today on the " Today Show " its a USA show, they reported a segment called " Animal Hording" ie. One person had in their home 269 different species of cats. The show said, that " people start out as animal rescuers, and end up keeping the animal, and can not give it up for adoption. " If folks out there get Animal Planet, I believe this evening they are going to air a show called " Animal Hording ". Before I saw this show, I thought maybe your neighbors were operating a Puppy Mill of some kind. Which I deem as inhumane from what I've read or been informed of Puppy Mills. This Animal Hording, takes this topic to a new level.

Regards,

Gypsy

Truthfully, I wouldn't have waited as long as you. I have no patience with people who mistreat animals. Those dogs are being mistreated, regardless of whether they "love" them all or not. Please do keep us informed of the outcome!

Instead of animal control I would try to get an SPCA or local dog rescues involved. Hoarding is a medical condition and Human Services should also be contacted. Together they should hopefully have people who know how to deal with this and can get the dogs and your neighbors the help they need. Often times if the dogs are just taken away they will just end up getting more and starting all over again. With the resources they can get help and people to prevent it from starting all over. Good luck!

Instead of animal control I would try to get an SPCA or local dog rescues involved. Hoarding is a medical condition and Human Services should also be contacted. Together they should hopefully have people who know how to deal with this and can get the dogs and your neighbors the help they need. Often times if the dogs are just taken away they will just end up getting more and starting all over again. With the resources they can get help and people to prevent it from starting all over. Good luck!

Really, good point, Tuathasidhe. Man's inhumanity to man is legend, and leaves me cold mostly, but animal cruelty angers me so much. I want the perpetrators to suffer the same fate for twice as long, so that would be ...jail time (as the dogs are not allowed out), for how many years? (times 7, taking into acount 'dog years')...chances are they'll get off with a fine.

You did the right thing by reporting them, Mysteria, and I'm sure as your setup is in total contrast, that if the authorities WERE to look, they'd turn a blind eye. I hope so, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chatters

Animal cruelty of any kind makes me sick. This sounds like complete neglect. You did the right thing. I'm the same as you Marion, I think they should suffer the same. There is nothing worse then keeping an animal indoors like this the whole time. Can you imagine how miserable they are. They should be banned from having any animals. Here in England we have the RSPCA to protect animals. I would have been straight on to them about this.

For some people I think neglect is down to ignorance about how to look after dogs. But that is still no excuse. From what you have said, it sounds like the worst kind of neglect.

You actually have to pay SPCA to come get animals. The better bet would be to try and find a place that will take the animals for free and also have a no kill policy. If animal control gets a hold of them, they will take them to the local pound where they will likely be put down.

catchyusername

As title reads I am not happy with what I have had to do today but let me explain the big picture, so that everyone can understand and tell me if they think I am just a bitch or if I am doing what should be done. I do feel really bad about having to do what I have done.

OK, Living next door to us (for about 3 months now) is an older couple who have around 25+ dogs. Only 2 of these dogs have been outside since these people moved in. The rest are kept inside at all times, never seeing sunlight. They do have a fenced yard btw. The dogs are not spaded and I know for sure that they currently have one litter of pups, who's mother died sometime around this past friday. They called us wanting to know if it was ok to feed the puppies, cow milk because (as they said) "One of the other dogs, killed the mother dog and now the pups need to be bottle fed". Gary informed them that they would have to get pup formula or goats milk and not to give the pups cow milk. Not 30 sec. after he hung up the phone with them, they call back wanting us to drive them to the store. They have transportation btw, just don't like driving (I guess). Gary told them no we had already been to the store once today. On Sunday, while gary & I were getting in the car to go to store, I noticed that there was a dead dog partly wrapped in a blanket, laid across a chair on the front porch. So this dog has been there since at the least friday (when they called us).

I went out to check the mail a few ago and the damn dog is still on their front porch and you can smell it! So knowing that they are use to dealing with our city offical lady (I forget her name), I decided that I would call her, instead of the police dept. and let her know about the dog issue. I had to leave a message for her but made it very clear that I did not want these people knowing I had reported it to her but that she needed to call me & why.

It was bad enough that one can't stand on the sidewalk without smelling gross odors coming from inside their house. Now they are having dogs die and leaving them on the porch. Gary & I have done all we can to be friendly and nice to these people but i just can't go on knowing that these animals are suffering and not do anything about it. We have even gone as far as to help these people with water. They use our waterhose for water. Their water is currently off because the landlord will not cover the overage in their water bill, which landlord is at fault for. The main pipe was busted and they did not know when they moved in, so their 1st water bill was like $1,000 + . So for now they use our waterhose and we just have them pay their part of our water bill. I did not wish to be mean by reporting these people but I don't know what else to do. Gary & I have both tried to tell them (in a nice way) that they have too many dogs for their living conditions and there being only 2 of them to care for all the dogs but they refuse to get rid of any of them. I have even openly explained to the lady that they(the people) smell very bad. I don't think they are bad people but for some reason life has turned them into true hoarders who believe that the dogs they have couldn't live without them, nor they without the dogs. It is truely a sad twist of fate for them and the dogs.

I would phone the RSPCA(or your countries version) and police. It is cruel and inhuman torture for any animal to be kept in those living conditions. Their landlord also has a duty of care.

You actually have to pay SPCA to come get animals. The better bet would be to try and find a place that will take the animals for free and also have a no kill policy. If animal control gets a hold of them, they will take them to the local pound where they will likely be put down.

Ive never heard of anyone paying SPCA. I haven't dealt with all of them of course so maybe it varies, but still, never heard of it before. I'll have to get the word out to my rescue group and see what they say, maybe some of them have dealt with it before.

People also have to work with what they got. Animal control is all some people have, in more rural areas there is no spca, rescues or shelters. (there is a difference bewtween a shelter, AC, Rescue and SPCA) Its a hard reality but sometimes being put down is better than their current situation. Fact is, there are way to many dogs/cats and not enough people to take them. Which makes it even more sad to me in situations like this when someone is hording. Some horders start out as rescues and it just becomes a bigger problem without them meaning to. They think they are helping and in the beginning they are but then it just becomes to much, to attatched and if mental illness is involved....

Sadly we had to deal with this and a big name rescue president just last year.

Ive never heard of anyone paying SPCA. I haven't dealt with all of them of course so maybe it varies, but still, never heard of it before. I'll have to get the word out to my rescue group and see what they say, maybe some of them have dealt with it before.

People also have to work with what they got. Animal control is all some people have, in more rural areas there is no spca, rescues or shelters. (there is a difference bewtween a shelter, AC, Rescue and SPCA) Its a hard reality but sometimes being put down is better than their current situation. Fact is, there are way to many dogs/cats and not enough people to take them. Which makes it even more sad to me in situations like this when someone is hording. Some horders start out as rescues and it just becomes a bigger problem without them meaning to. They think they are helping and in the beginning they are but then it just becomes to much, to attatched and if mental illness is involved....

Sadly we had to deal with this and a big name rescue president just last year.

I don't know if that's the policy everywhere but it is here in Houston. This is taken from Houston's SPCA site:

"The Houston SPCA does charge a fee to admit an owned or stray animal. The admissions fee structure is as follows:

$35: Adult dog

$20: Adult Cat

$15: Puppies and kittens under 6 months old (Maximum of $50 per litter.)

$35: Medium to large parrots

$15: Small to Medium Birds

$3: Small Birds

$15: Rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, goats, pigs, sheep

$3: Small rodents

$3: Poultry, waterfowl

No fee if individual opts to take animal home again

$100: Horses, donkeys, mules

-Must have all vaccinations (rabies, west nile, equine encephalitis, tetanus)

-Must have current worming (within 1 month)

-Must have current Coggins test (within 6 months)

-Males must be gelded My girlfriend is a vet tech and she deals with that kind of thing on an almost daily basis."

I know I never knew they charged until just recently. My girlfriend is a vet tech and unfortunately has to deal with that type of thing on an almost daily basis. You are right...Sometimes the animal control is the best solution for some situations. Some animals are in just horrible shape or just to vicious to not be put down. These type of situations are more ideal for animal control. That being said, it's sad any way you look at it...

I don't know if that's the policy everywhere but it is here in Houston. This is taken from Houston's SPCA site:

"The Houston SPCA does charge a fee to admit an owned or stray animal. The admissions fee structure is as follows:

$35: Adult dog

$20: Adult Cat

$15: Puppies and kittens under 6 months old (Maximum of $50 per litter.)

$35: Medium to large parrots

$15: Small to Medium Birds

$3: Small Birds

$15: Rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, goats, pigs, sheep

$3: Small rodents

$3: Poultry, waterfowl

No fee if individual opts to take animal home again

$100: Horses, donkeys, mules

-Must have all vaccinations (rabies, west nile, equine encephalitis, tetanus)

-Must have current worming (within 1 month)

-Must have current Coggins test (within 6 months)

-Males must be gelded My girlfriend is a vet tech and she deals with that kind of thing on an almost daily basis."

I know I never knew they charged until just recently. My girlfriend is a vet tech and unfortunately has to deal with that type of thing on an almost daily basis. You are right...Sometimes the animal control is the best solution for some situations. Some animals are in just horrible shape or just to vicious to not be put down. These type of situations are more ideal for animal control. That being said, it's sad any way you look at it...

Oh! I thought you were talking in a hording situation. I misunderstoond, my fault :). If a call is made and its a hording situation where they have to move alot of animals then they don't receive any money until the hoarder is tried in court and is usually made to pay...but, that varies im sure case by case. Its a catch 22 I think, they need the money so that they can continue to house and take in more animals, but most people would rather just dump the dog on the side of a road than pay a fee. I agree it is very sad all around and sometimes just all around sucks. People get burnt out really easy in rescues, I have a friend going through this right now. Its a hard reality when you realize you cant save them all :(

Archived