On ancestors

Lilienrose

I have a question.

I'm adopted since I'm 3 month old.

I don't know my "genitors" and I don't want to know them.

I just know a few facts about them.

When I talk about my ancestors I talk about the ones of my family and not the ones of my blood line.

So now to my question...

Would you consider that as disadvantage related to the working with my ancestors?

I mean I have no connection to them except love and memories.

I have a question.

When I talk about my ancestors I talk about the ones of my family and not the ones of my blood line.

So now to my question...

Would you consider that as disadvantage related to the working with my ancestors?

Hello Lilienrose, first of all thank you for the welcome back at my post, very nice of you. Okais, that is an intriguing question you post. There's an old sayin'... you can't pick your family, or some such thing. It is my belief that blood ties are very important, ie : health issues, genetics..etc. If you choose not to have a relationship with your biological people, that is your right. No harm, no foul. You seem very content with the family who raised you. I'm enlightened now, when I will read your posts, as who you are referencing as " Ancestors "

Be Well,
Regards,
Gypsy

I have a question.

So now to my question...

I don't think it would be a disadvantage. You might have been blood related in a different life even, fate could have brought you to your family. When working with your ancestors, you might have ancestors from your adopted family as well as your bloodline family. Just a thought.

While your blood ancestors may be different, you should honor those who raised you and the ones who raised them and so forth. It was all because of your ancestors that you got to have a set of blood ancestors and adopted ones. You should be thankful to both. They all gave you your life in how they raised your birth parents and your adoptive ones.

As for working more with the ones who are of you adoptive family, I see nothing wrong with it. Like i said, you ancestors raised their family with certain morals and attitudes that were passed down to your parents and are part of what made them adopt you. I know, unfortunately, of many people who are against adoption and such, so you in some ways got lucky. You should very much praise those ancestors for what they did and if you feel close and love towards them, so be it. They have had as much as an effect on your life as you blood ancestors, if not possibly more.

Very interesting question!! My husband is also adopted! But when it comes to working with your ancestors, I believe it is about who comes to you, who speaks to you! It could be those of the land that you live on, or those from your family, adopted or not!!

Whatever feels right to you is right for you and never let anyone tell you anything different!!!

My family tradition contains many members who are not technically blood relatives. Yet, they belong with us. Their souls are linked to mine. I feel it. I know it in my heart, and my mind follows along. So, do not fret about whether those you call ancestors once shared a genetic link to you. If you love and want to be with them, and they with you, they are family.

If you have not done so, a genealogical (sp?) search of your adoptive family's history could help you to connect even more. I am a direct descendent of people who came over on the Mayflower, for example. Even though they were not likely Witches, still knowing about them, who they were as people, makes me feel proud and grateful. I also listen to stories that my family tells about those in the family who have passed on. People I didn't really know, but that are worth remembering. It does not matter, that you are adopted, because those stories and the love of that family now belong to you, too.

Jevne

Thanks for all of your very interesting answers!:)

I think I just have to stick with my intuition.

Due to the fact that I feel more of an inner connection with my ancestors(family, not the blood relatives) I'll concentrate more on them,

but if someone else speaks/comes to me, like Brigid said, and it feels right it will be fine too.

A genealogical search would be quite interesting.

I also love to sit and just listen to the stories of those in the family who have passed on.

It's always interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

I would also say to go beyond the dictionary definition of ancestor. There are also the witch ancestors that are the blood-line (bloos being the line of energy) of the stream of the witches. There are spiritual ancestors of those that have worked with you since birth but you may not be aware of. But a candle on your ancestor altor to represent them and talk to them, and they will start to show themselves to you.

M

I am in agreement with Michele and the only ancestral contacts i'd find of value would be those of the Witch Blood. As for actual relatives, those of interest to me would be those along the Matrilinear lineage.

GreenFaeWitch

Personally I find that when contacting or communicating with or being guided by ancestors, you don't have much choice in who comes forth, whether blood related or not. it just kind of happens. Just go with it and see where it takes you. and as for paying homage, you could totally do that for both sides, your blood relations and adoptive relatives. the more protection and guidance the better, and you may be surprised just who is willing or wanting to make contact with you.

Personally I find that when contacting or communicating with or being guided by ancestors, you don't have much choice in who comes forth, whether blood related or not. it just kind of happens.

I totally agree. Our spiritual journey goes beyond the barriers of this life we're living now, so sometimes ancestral communication can seem to come from random places. But wherever it comes from, there's always a reason behind it... and it may not always be obvious.

As far as the adoptive versus genetic ancestry goes, the nurturing in life has come from the adoptive family. So, I would expect that in terms of spiritual nurturing and ancestral guidance, there would be a strong representation from the adoptive family's ancestral line.

Very interesting question!! My husband is also adopted! But when it comes to working with your ancestors, I believe it is about who comes to you, who speaks to you! It could be those of the land that you live on, or those from your family, adopted or not!!

Whatever feels right to you is right for you and never let anyone tell you anything different!!!

Well said! My thoughts exactly.

I have a question.

So now to my question...

Hi Lilienrose,

Well even though they say that "blood is thicker than water" but I believe that love can create even stronger bonds. There are also "soul bonds" and as Michele pointed out, there are the "witch bonds" from many lifetimes.

On some level we are all related anyway, so I think you should be just fine working with the ones you love, whether they are blood relatives or not.

Anyone may come when you call on them. I had meetings with both blood relatives as well as non blood relatives.

So I think it's just a matter of how you choose to look at it.

• 1 year later...

While your blood ancestors may be different, you should honor those who raised you and the ones who raised them and so forth. It was all because of your ancestors that you got to have a set of blood ancestors and adopted ones. You should be thankful to both. They all gave you your life in how they raised your birth parents and your adoptive ones.

As for working more with the ones who are of you adoptive family, I see nothing wrong with it. Like i said, you ancestors raised their family with certain morals and attitudes that were passed down to your parents and are part of what made them adopt you. I know, unfortunately, of many people who are against adoption and such, so you in some ways got lucky. You should very much praise those ancestors for what they did and if you feel close and love towards them, so be it. They have had as much as an effect on your life as you blood ancestors, if not possibly more.

Bumping this thread for Abhainn as she mentioned in the ancestor thread she started that she was starting work with ancestors from her adopted line.

Personally, while I do feel that blood lines are important, there are other things just as important and I think that someone choosing to make you a part of their family can create just as strong a tie as genetics.

This is a really interesting thread and it's something that's been on my mind too. I can't trace my bloodlines very far because my grandfather is adopted and on that side of the family, genealogy is something of a taboo subject ("some things are best left buried" is the general phrase used). My father left when I was a kid and although I have loose contact with him I'm not close, nor am I comfortable discussing anything personal with him. So I have been wondering too about whether this "gap" will be a hinderance. I have had images while meditating though of a "Pictish woman" (I don't know her name, that's just what comes into my head to describe her) who encourages me. It hadn't occurred to me that she could be an ancestor. I will see about working with her more closely.

Thanks for the input, everyone, it's been very enlightening. :)

Sparrow

I would also say to go beyond the dictionary definition of ancestor. There are also the witch ancestors that are the blood-line (bloos being the line of energy) of the stream of the witches. There are spiritual ancestors of those that have worked with you since birth but you may not be aware of. But a candle on your ancestor altor to represent them and talk to them, and they will start to show themselves to you.

M

This.

The ancestor thing has been difficult for me for a few reasons. Difficult to understand, I should say, but recently I feel things clicking. One problem is that I don't know who my father is. One of two men my mother was involved with at the time. The thing is I don't feel a connection to my mother's side while I feel a longing for my father's. These are things I need to work out. But as to what Michele mentioned above I have found that practice beneficial. I am not sure why I started laying things out for that line but I did and it's been fulfilling in its own way.

Aloe, thanks for bumping this. It's very helpful.

One of the things that has been incredibly helpful has been my adoption info. There were some basic ethnic info for both my biological parents that included the grandparents as well. So I have an idea of what cultures have had an impact on my biological line. I've looked into some of them, but have felt an almost irrepressible interest in the Irish part. My husband's parents (both, ironically) are descendents of Scottish immigrants, and my adopted dad's family has a good measure of English. But I also have Spanish and Hungarian and German and Polish. The typical American mutt, I am.

It's an interesting journey, so far, figuring out all of these little details. I hope to find and be reunited with my birth parents someday, and learn about that part of my lineage as well. That's a whole other kettle of issues, there, which is why it has been on my mind but uncompleted for almost a decade...

I think with ancestors, spirits, deities, etc., it's best to start in a safe feeling place. Then move out into an ever widening circle, as it feels safe to do so. No shame, no rush, no rules.

I think with ancestors, spirits, deities, etc., it's best to start in a safe feeling place. Then move out into an ever widening circle, as it feels safe to do so. No shame, no rush, no rules.

And, I'm learning, lots of interesting material!!! :)

Dear all of you who are dear to me,

I have just had a very interesting conversation with my mother, who lives in Belgium. She was feeling threatened by my stepfather's spirits in their house, so, thanks to the knowledge I gathered on this forum, I helped her to create 3 spirit beings who will protect her; she chose them to be creatures between angels and elves and she has housed them in a tree in her house. I told her she had to talk to them and create a bond with them, otherwise they would vanish. I then asked her questions and she said - for the first time ever - that I was a lot like her grandmother on her mother's side, who - and this is NEWS to me - was famous in the village for painting animal legs and feet all over the walls of her house, as well as painting all the walls of their house in vivid colours, representing animals and lots of animal legs/feet! She had very very long grey hair, wore it plaited and then in a bun at the nape of her neck, wore long black dresses and had a herb garden. She was also famous for having a crow come and visit her every day. The crow would land a few metres away from the house, then walk up to the front door and wait for her. No-one could make the crow go away except my great-grandmother, who would throw her apron at the crow whilst telling him/her to go away (I love wearing aprons, I just feel whole when I have one on!) and then the crow would leave, walking not flying! He was known to come even in the winter as people could see marks of his feet in the snow! That is all my mother can remember but I am planning on asking my grandmother for more information, although my grandmother is not open to the idea of magic. My grandmother's sister, though, was known as "the oracle" in the village, as she knew what would happen before it happened. But my mother stresses that no-one ever called them witches. My mother said she could sense I was special from a young age. She said people used to call my great-grandmother "special" and people said the same about me! My friends simply say I am "unique"! I had a similar experience with a neighbour's cat, who followed me around to the busstop and back for weeks, until one day I spoke to the cat and said I cannot adopt it and it has to leave me alone now. The cat understood and leaves me alone now! A man was passing by as I was talking to the cat and I could see he thought I was mad to talk to a cat so seriously!

This is totally amazing, I am really flabbergasted!

Now I wish I could get into contact with my great-grandmother!

Kind regards to all,

Heks Witch-1.gif

• 1 month later...

I thought I would give this thread a little bumpity bump....

I have been reading the threads on ancestors lately and trying to find a working knowledge of them. From the posts and threads (whew there are alot) most of u speak of ancestors as a 'bloodline' or grandma/ grandpa kind of spirit/ energy.

What I am having trouble wrapping my head around is that my grandparents were spiritual 'old world portuguese and italian' beliefs and practices, but not witches. I also have been reading a bit and found it quite interesting in Paddon's book, he states something about ancestors that have been before and ones that will be are considered ancestors. Saying this goes back to the pre-christian eras.

So my confusion kinda centers on whether most work with the 'bloodline' of their families... or the collective consciousness of the ether. In my view, if I'm going back to pre-christian ancestors, we are all connected to each other in some way... this would also include the souls who guide us and work with us, the ones of my family members, the souls and guides that worked with each member, and so on. And if we are all connected, aren't we just tapping into the otherworld as a whole and not our specific ancestors?

While, I understand, most of us do things in tune with what feels right to us. I am in no way questioning your practices, just curious about your thoughts on this.

So my confusion kinda centers on whether most work with the 'bloodline' of their families... or the collective consciousness of the ether. In my view, if I'm going back to pre-christian ancestors, we are all connected to each other in some way... this would also include the souls who guide us and work with us, the ones of my family members, the souls and guides that worked with each member, and so on. And if we are all connected, aren't we just tapping into the otherworld as a whole and not our specific ancestors?

While, I understand, most of us do things in tune with what feels right to us. I am in no way questioning your practices, just curious about your thoughts on this.

Ancestor veneration and communication is something I practiced long before I ever realized it was part of some witchcraft traditions, and even then, it took me quite awhile to realize just what some witches were speaking of when they talked of their ancestor work. Not saying that everyone's ancestor work is the same as what I do, but I have found enough information on certain traditions to put some links together.

So - for me, ancestor work has always been about my blood ancestors (and my family considers adopted members 'blood'), whether they were known or unknown. The other type, witch ancestors, collective ancestor memory, etc. is only something I've read of.

Archived