RavensClaw

The Darkness Within

I am pretty good at knowing when someone is lying or trying to cover something up. I usually can tell by their voice on the phone or from their face if I can see them.

I have looked into the theory side a wee bit for body language but found it actually confused me more! So I just tend to let the gut instincts do their thing and they don't normally let me down. I once worked with someone who had been on a body language course, so I was a bit cheesed that they could potentially 'read' all my actions! But even though he kept close check on his signals, I could still work out if he was lying!

As for the dark and light energies, its the same sort of thing for me, I can really sense when there is 'weight' in the air, when energy levels are high and tight, or when it isn't. Again, its just a gut instinct thing I go by. I find if I question it too much, or look for a reason behind it, I can't sense it.

And definately animals are much easier to read, as they are usually not out to deceive you!

I'd say yes (as of my current knowledge) but drop off the last two words. People can and do, but it's not always people. Entities, spirits, the land, etc., also have energy and excude energy and can have a positive or negative "attitude." Re feeling people and reading their body language - try closing your eyes and then seeing if you can sense it. Sometimes if you block out the sense we usually rely on the most the other ones come through.

M

i always thought that the raw pure energy comes from the land itself? Big question now: so where do you personally believe it comes from?

Babooshka,

I believe that how you sense energy depends on your particular orientation to the world. I was talking to a friend today about how we recognize other Witches, and she said that she "smells" it on them. Within about 10 feet or so, Witches have a certain smell to her; a very Earthy smell. She can distinguish from smell what kind of person someone is, too. Sometimes, we will walk past a person, and she will say they smell bad. I don't smell a thing, but she swears she tell from the smell if they are not good people. It's kinda strange, but I shouldn't be surprised because I can hear things in people's voices. I know when they are lying, when they are sad, etc. Seeing the colors of energy is probably a similar gift.

Jevne

I kind of see what your friend means, but I don't think there's anything psychic about it when I personally smell it lol, I just kind of work it out because of appearance (jewellery, clothing - we have alot of witchy types around here living near Glastonbury n all :P) and sometimes they will have this herby/earthy smell but I don't know if it something that they'd been burning or a perfume haha

Edited by Babooshka

I kind of see what your friend means, but I don't think there's anything psychic about it when I personally smell it lol, I just kind of work it out because of appearance (jewellery, clothing - we have alot of witchy types around here living near Glastonbury n all :P) and sometimes they will have this herby/earthy smell but I don't know if it something that they'd been burning or a perfume haha

Interestingly enough, she doesn't have to actually see them, prior to "smelling" them to know. I presented the perfume explanation, but she said that the smell isn't always like that. It's hard for me to explain, because I don't experience it.

J

Interestingly enough, she doesn't have to actually see them, prior to "smelling" them to know. I presented the perfume explanation, but she said that the smell isn't always like that. It's hard for me to explain, because I don't experience it.

J

I find that amazing that she doesn't have to even see them. Being able to tell who is a Witch and who isn't is something that really interests me. Some Witches i've spoken to say there's no way of telling (other than the in your face, 10 tonne pentacle wearing types :P), while others say there are ways of telling. I once heard someone say something about seeing a fire within the person - a burning passion. I liked that idea, don't know how well it works in practice though.

i always thought that the raw pure energy comes from the land itself? Big question now: so where do you personally believe it comes from?

Oye, lol - and what are the winning lottery numbers!!!!! Yes, there is raw energy from the land and the spirits that reside there, but even that, I personally believe, will have a basic personality to it - like have you ever been walking through a forest and enjoying your hike and suddenly entered a patch of woods or an area that feels "creepy" and you walk faster and don't linger, and just feel like you weren't welcome there? We can't assume that the land is always happy to share with us - look how much we've taken without even asking or giving back. That leaves its mark and we are often unwelcome guests. The energy is in everything, it is the life source of everything (and all things live) and it is connected to everything. Its Point, its Source, is beyond our comprehension (or mine, anyway!). As a general rule I am the biggest concentration of energy in my home, in the yard the energy of the land is bigger than I am. When I pull in energy I pull it in from all directions (so it is a concentrated and equal mix of all "element" essences although one could pull it in from a specific essence if one needed that. If I am working with the Forge I pull it in through the area that most know of as the "root chakra" area (I can't remember your age but I believe you are still a teenager so I'm not going to spell out the specific area but I am sure you can figure it out, lol). The energy of the Forge is a "divine" type source of energy (not that all energy isn't, but it is a specifically conecntrated one) and working with it is phenominal for building up your personal power. When I use energy for spell work I pull it in from outside but I couldn't tell you where it comes from, but it is more an energy that is "traveling about in the air" (although not necessarily of the elemental essence of air) and I comes from all directions, including up and down, although I don't use the up and down directional energy so much for spell work. Couldn't, at this point in my Path, tell you why though, it just doesn't come in from those two directions when I am doing spell work. The Forge energy comes to me from "below." I have delt with energy once that came from an "above" direction and it was of such magnitude that it knocked me for a major loop and I was sorta fucked up for several weeks after, lol. Personally, I would say I have a lot of work to do with the Forge energy beofre I can handle the "celestial" energy on any sort of semi-regular basis. Working with the ancestors (not necessarily blood ancestors, but ancestors and guides of witch-dom) I find their energy usually comes from below, and sometimes from the land-level. But asking what is the origin of the energy itself, is like asking for the orgin of Kether (sp) or the orgin of god... it is just not something we have the capacity to understand or even to fathom in our current physical state of evolution.

M

• Upvote 1

Interestingly enough, she doesn't have to actually see them, prior to "smelling" them to know.

J

Okay - don't laugh, but I wonder if it's something like "gay-dar" - that it takes one to know one.... I know there was a saying "power knows power."

M

• Upvote 1

Yes, there is raw energy from the land and the spirits that reside there, but even that, I personally believe, will have a basic personality to it - like have you ever been walking through a forest and enjoying your hike and suddenly entered a patch of woods or an area that feels "creepy" and you walk faster and don't linger, and just feel like you weren't welcome there? We can't assume that the land is always happy to share with us - look how much we've taken without even asking or giving back. That leaves its mark and we are often unwelcome guests. M

This is right on. I have had this experience. I used to live upstate NewYork and the place was a crossroads, if you will, of modern, colonial, and indigionous energies. The forests in this place went from being sterile to peaceful and energetic to surly and creepy to feeling outright hostile. The creepy parts were around the battlefield areas and the hostile parts were around the old Native American land that was stolen and turned in to settlements and towns. I went to one of these hostile areas at night with a friend and it is an experience I do not want to repeat. So, I definately believe that the people and spirits of a place leave their make on that place.

Okay - don't laugh, but I wonder if it's something like "gay-dar" - that it takes one to know one.... I know there was a saying "power knows power."

M

Agreed witches (real, not show witches) can sense other witches. And witches aren't always the ones you expect. They hide throughout society and some do not even realise they are.

M

My grandmother uses that saying, Michele. "Power knows power". She is often exchanging glances with and chatting with people, who she claims are Kin.

Jevne

Babooshka,

I believe that how you sense energy depends on your particular orientation to the world. I was talking to a friend today about how we recognize other Witches, and she said that she "smells" it on them. Within about 10 feet or so, Witches have a certain smell to her; a very Earthy smell. She can distinguish from smell what kind of person someone is, too. Sometimes, we will walk past a person, and she will say they smell bad. I don't smell a thing, but she swears she tell from the smell if they are not good people. It's kinda strange, but I shouldn't be surprised because I can hear things in people's voices. I know when they are lying, when they are sad, etc. Seeing the colors of energy is probably a similar gift.

Jevne

Thanks for this J, this really validates to me, when I was flying, and in such closed quarters with many who were on the aircraft, we were not allowed to wear highly potent perfumes and such. Didn't matter if I smelled like jet fuel, or glycol, or just plain old sweat. Now that I don't have that to contend with, I can like your friend, smell another Witch, its something that is tangible to my nose. Not to be unkind in this, but I'm very good at smelling Pakistannie's too, I think it's because of the cumin, they use so much in their cooking. I had a most difficult time when I was forced to use elevators, being confined in such a way, that the smell of others made me sick, I couldn't do it, ride in the elevator with people. If my room was on the 15th floor, I'd wait and ride by myself. Or if my room was 2 floors up, I'd just lug my rollerbag and flight case.

Regards,

Gypsy

Agreed witches (real, not show witches) can sense other witches. And witches aren't always the ones you expect. They hide throughout society and some do not even realise they are.

I've never, to my knowledge, met another witch before. I'm also pretty sure that I wouldn't recognise many real witches because I'm quite insensitive to my surroundings and others. I also think it's strange when people say they can sense or detect another witch through pictures, phone calls and even chat rooms; makes me kinda nervous as I hope I don't come across as emotionally negative or unstable in posts. I'm sure with time I'll develop my senses, but it doesn't stop me being envious of others in the meantime.

Firstly - Babooshka - I know some of the Trad Witches in Glastonbury and they aren't the ones you would expect! Certainly not the ones prancing about in pentacles with bells on their toes (quite literally!) I can usually tell another witch, I'm quite good at reading people generally, it's a favourite past time.

Now back to the OT, I truly believe that the cause of my depression is the fact that since childhood I have been taught that it is bad to express "negative" emotions. Trying to be nice and happy all the time nearly killed me. Recently I have been giving my dark side the chance to express itself, outwardly I seem far more miserable (based on the number of people who are just picking up on my depression) inwardly I am far happier because I have stopped denying who I am. The darkness is part of each of us and very important for emotional health, and the more you understand yourself the stronger your magic becomes.

Firstly - Babooshka - I know some of the Trad Witches in Glastonbury and they aren't the ones you would expect! Certainly not the ones prancing about in pentacles with bells on their toes (quite literally!) I can usually tell another witch, I'm quite good at reading people generally, it's a favourite past time.

trying not to hyjack the thread - I don't know much about the people in glastonbury, i don't often go to workshops, I've never met a Traditional Witch who lives in Glastonbury that i know of. As for the 'dressy' witches - well, thats just glastonbury for you :P

Ok, This is a fairly new concept to me and I haven't fully gathered my thoughts on this topic so please bear with me if it get's a little disjointed.

I have become aware in recent times that to follow a traditional path, you must first embrace the dark as well as the light side of nature. As with most things trad related its a matter of working intraspectively. Finding the Darkness within, to understand the darkness externally.

So here it goes! What is this dark aspect of nature to you? I have heard of it refered to as the bringer of life in the few places I have been able to find any reference to it at all. It seems from an acedmic point of view it stems from a great nothing, which in turn spewed forth existance.... eventually to reclaim it. What do you make of this? Do you give the darkness a name, and if you don't mind sharing it, what is it?

To me, the how darkness brought forth life is niether here nor there. It may have been the case, it may not. To me, my priority is living the tradition not looking to the past and keeping it a thing of history. What I'm trying to say is that I want a working knowledge of it, it doesn't matter where it came from or where its going to, just that it IS in this instant we live in called the present.

What is your opinion of it? Where it came from and is going to?

How have you embraced the darkness?

How has it influenced you and your practice?

When would you use this great viod in a working?

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along.

Regards,

RC

This is a great topic, got me thinking. =)

I think as a society we are brain washed to think a certain way about pretty much everything. When you mention darkness most people tend to think "Oh you mean out to hurt everyone and do evil, unspeakable things", but I have realised that darkness isn't that. Darkness is what makes us stand up for ourselves, to fight for something, to give in to perfectly normal urges. Animals defend themselves by fighting, they have sex without anyone thinking it's wrong or dirty, some animals are even gay! But apparently all these things and more, are unacceptable in humans because "we aren't animals" but I believe we are animals. We too have instincts and urges and emotions of all kinds. But I believe that humans as a species always like to feel superior, better than animals, better than each other, better than nature, etc. So we try to get rid of "darkness" to appear better and more superior, as if we don't do those things or think those things. But speaking as someone who most people regard as "overly light" I embrace my darkness. I have bad thoughts, I have negative traits in my personality. Anyone who thinks that they don't or try to appear "perfect" are delusional.

Only recently I have started thinking about darkness, and I believe it will definitely effect my path more as I go.

The sciences tried to find away to show how we are superior to the other animals. They came up with the use of tools. We invented tools to use so we are better, ha! Except it was discovered many species of primates and even some birds use tools. Well, we are superior because we use language. Now it's been discovered that other species have a language of sorts, that is they communicate concepts to each other. An experiment was done with prairie dogs and dound when two people walked through a field wearing different coloured jumpers, the prairie dog on guard would signal to everyone using vocalisations. When recorded and played back, they found them exactly the same except for one sound, which they deduced refered to the different coloured tops. Dolphins have been known for ages to communicate useing sound and now they are looking into chimpanzees. It seems the more science sets out to prove we are different, the more they prove we are the same. For me, I like acknowledging my animal side.

The sciences tried to find away to show how we are superior to the other animals. They came up with the use of tools. We invented tools to use so we are better, ha! Except it was discovered many species of primates and even some birds use tools. Well, we are superior because we use language. Now it's been discovered that other species have a language of sorts, that is they communicate concepts to each other. An experiment was done with prairie dogs and dound when two people walked through a field wearing different coloured jumpers, the prairie dog on guard would signal to everyone using vocalisations. When recorded and played back, they found them exactly the same except for one sound, which they deduced refered to the different coloured tops. Dolphins have been known for ages to communicate useing sound and now they are looking into chimpanzees. It seems the more science sets out to prove we are different, the more they prove we are the same. For me, I like acknowledging my animal side.

I completely agree! Just because we don't understand what animals are indicating to doesn't mean that they aren't communicating or that they aren't intelligent.

I was then left to reflect on and find the full meaning of by my own self-discovery, experiment, trial and error and "gut feeling". Shown the direction of the goal but not the place itself, given a push in the general direction but have to propel myself from then on. What i did learn then I subsequently lost as I deviated from the path later on, only in the last two years have I steered myself back on track and more recently a new source of inspiration and encouragement has been my pilot in these stagnant waters i sailed into. When did you stop being the Captain of your own ship? Do you recall ( you don't have to say this here ) when after the reflection and the pondering that you propelled yourself upon a respected path, and then found yourself lost or dismayed with the journey. When I think of the analogy you pose here, I reflect on sailing, even the best sailboats, when the wind is not prevailing still have motors to guide, the Captain on his designated course.

you may be surprised what you have within yourselves. Very encouraging words, yet if they don't have action, they are lifeless.

Energy is a part/form of the all-pervading motive force of the ALL, call it colours, shades, tastes, feel, feelings, textile, emotion, prana of whatever your customs have told you it is everywhere and in everything, the divine source and mundane shells. I pose this, would if, one doesn't speak the language when the information is given. Would it not be any less spiritual for the receiver. I think not, because it's a mystical tangible experiance the receiver has and there are no words for. It is acceptance in the psyche that makes it the working revelation, that is the motivator of the All.

But I believe that humans as a species always like to feel superior, better than animals, better than each other, better than nature, etc Our species has Ego.

I embrace my darkness. I have bad thoughts, I have negative traits in my personality. Anyone who thinks that they don't or try to appear "perfect" are delusional. I'm inclined to believe that it's not a personality trait of sorts, the darkness doesn't give up it's power because of ethics, morals or inflated Ego.

Only recently I have started thinking about darkness, and I believe it will definitely effect my path more as I go. After reflection and pondering, one's steps get purposeful, in any endeavor one sets out for or on their path.

For me, I like acknowledging my animal side. Wild or domesticated. There's a difference, domesticated animals have be structured to be "people pleasers", how many times has a "tone" to a domesticated animal given one results. Would this same "tone" work for a wild animal? Darkness within, is it's own animal, unstructured, untamed, with no remorse, it just does what it does naturally, to meet it's need at the given time, and with no regrets of it's actions.

Regards,

Gypsy

CG,

My source of direction only gave me a few tenants to spur me, I remember most of them, these were odd little examples or sayings that I was then left to reflect on and find the full meaning of by my own self-discovery, experiment, trial and error and "gut feeling". Shown the direction of the goal but not the place itself, given a push in the general direction but have to propel myself from then on. What i did learn then I subsequently lost as I deviated from the path later on, only in the last two years have I steered myself back on track and more recently a new source of inspiration and encouragement has been my pilot in these stagnant waters i sailed into.

All,

I have known people who can read a situation or person based on smell, touch and sight. we all have the potential for this, many of us are sensitives as I. I have a fool-proof method if I can hold a person's hand and pose a question to them I will immediately know if they are lying. As many people will not allow touching particularly is not know by one and are generally suspicious of such situations this really cuts down on the number of possibilities. I think we all should explore the possibilities of what sense we have that can aid us, try listening with your spirit, touching with your heart and looking with your soul (or any combination of the former) you may be surprised what you have within yourselves.

Energy is a part/form of the all-pervading motive force of the ALL, call it colours, shades, tastes, feel, feelings, textile, emotion, prana of whatever your customs have told you it is everywhere and in everything, the divine source and mundane shells.

FFFF

Elf

E - I have heard of many people who have an interest in the craft - even who get really involved - and they hit a rough spot and suddenly they withdraw from the path, citing "things in life they need to take care right now" etc., but often it is really just them not haveing what it takes to do whatever is necessary - not missing the guts to do it, but just the desire. And you know the importance of Will, Desire, and Belief of the witch. I can personally tell you there are times I have moved down my path by will alone becuase the belief and desire were damn near gone, and to this day I don't even really know why the will remained, lol. But to face those spots and to keep slogging forward is really what makes one start to open up, I find, and often takes one to the next level of working. Often what was "lost" will come back in droves. There are many ordeals on the path and the ones without the inner "drive" are weeded out or remain on the fringe. But to face that cliff and jump off it even if belief is not present - it is taking that risk and being willing to take it that makes the difference. So more power to you for going forward!

M

It has always been my belief ... darkness and light (gads, hate that word..lol) are duality of the same. They do not exist in the presence of the other but exist because the other is present. Darkness requires respect and reverence for its attributes and power... it is as much a part of who I am and my path as the light..

This reminds me of a theory paper I wrote about origin instincts and origin encoding. Darkness is natural and necessary. It prompts protection and self preservation. However, as we are influenced by outside sources, many begin to associate or attach negative cogitations to Darkness leading to imbalance. Of course I am referring to the positive and negative attributes that can be attached to the Origin instincts, resulting in an associated perception of their place in the human psyche. If suppressed beneath our consciousness, the brands or labels placed on these instincts leech and bleed through to the surface and become directly linked to the emotions and thoughts associated with them and thus affect our perceptions of outer energies.. Bit of a ramble..

Guest Elfyd

Ldy,

I really enjoy reading your posts, this was no exception, however I find the colour you use VERY difficult to read.

M-

I think you know much of what I refer to, I owe a debt of thanks to the source of my "push" and you have been found to be a very supportive in the ways that you find you are allowed to.

These things are still appreciated.

FFF

Elf

I'm glad I'm not the only one going blind, Elf! lol I thought it was just me-the purple is very pretty but really hard to read on the dark background.

Ldy,

I really enjoy reading your posts, this was no exception, however I find the colour you use VERY difficult to read.

FFF

Elf

I'm glad I'm not the only one going blind, Elf! lol I thought it was just me-the purple is very pretty but really hard to read on the dark background.

Ooops.. sorry about that..

I often see the knowledge of the path as something 'living' and having guardians. It's important and won't be haned out to just anyone, after all the person who receives the knowledge has to be trusted not to misuse it. So tests are set up to see what the mettle of the person is, do they have what it takes to be able to work with the knowledge, to control it? Or are they lacking? It's only by plowing on that we prove they call wasn't in vane ans we deserve to receive that knowledge. Crash through the hurdles if that's the only way, but keep going forward and you will be rewarded.

I often see the knowledge of the path as something 'living' and having guardians. It's important and won't be haned out to just anyone, after all the person who receives the knowledge has to be trusted not to misuse it. So tests are set up to see what the mettle of the person is, do they have what it takes to be able to work with the knowledge, to control it? Or are they lacking? It's only by plowing on that we prove they call wasn't in vane ans we deserve to receive that knowledge. Crash through the hurdles if that's the only way, but keep going forward and you will be rewarded.

I agree that the path itself is very much a living, breathing (not literal air-breathing), and changing, thing... once it stops changeing it grows stagnant (as does the witch) and dies although - some people still choose to work with a dead path.

M

I agree that the path itself is very much a living, breathing (not literal air-breathing), and changing, thing... once it stops changeing it grows stagnant (as does the witch) and dies although - some people still choose to work with a dead path.

M

Now this is interesting how you just toss out the word, " stagnant ". We had a convo about this word, I'm not sure you were included, but I know Abraxia and Jevne were, myself included.

The part that fascinates me is this :

" once it (the path, I'm surmizing, correct me if I'm wrong ) stops changeing it ( the path, again ) grows stagnant, ( as does the witch ) and dies. How about this take : the Witch has exhausted all measures of this certain growth process on the path, and has out-grown the knowledge of particular thought processes, and therefore has to come to a decision to take a step towards another turn in the path, one not walked in by the Witch. I don't wish to believe that the Path dies, and disinergrates, as it is a living thing forever changing and replenishing itself. There will always be another to walk where another has walked, in due time.

I can readilly accept that a Witch has working knowledge of working with the Dead ( Ancestors and such ) but a dead path ? That is strange to me, as I don't believe the path dies, or the current , or the force, or the energy, it's always in a constant form of movement, and the Witch just has to find a way to grab it. Okais, call it the Brass Ring on the Carnival Ride of sorts. lol.

Regards,

Gypsy