RavensClaw

The Darkness Within

How did I miss this thread yrs ago? Ok, here's my 2 cents......

I was once told that to find the darkness and explore it, was to first look inside and find your fears and come to terms with them. By doing this, you not only understand your fears and accept them but you will find your darkside and will be able to use it better when you need it and you will be able to control it.

I have no fear of the dark, inside or out (love to walk around my house and yard during the dark moon or with no lights on). I have also basically come to terms with my dark side and accept it and use it when necessary.

Sophia, like you, I have mostly clay here too. I bring in a couple yards of good black dirt every other year for my gardens!!!! Love to get up to the elbows in it and enjoy it!!!! :eheheh: Feels soooo good!!!!

I love the ordeal your coven put you through Owl. I think it helped keep out the love and lights that were afraid of facing the dark, and their fears. I think a witch has to face and confront their fears. Sure that doesn't mean putting yourself in stupid amounts of danger, but being brave is really important in the craft. I like the dark out in the wilderness--I think it is easier to see once your eyes have adjusted to night vision than with a flash light that makes you blind to anything outside the torch beam.

Also, I love this smilie: :oil-bottle: I haven't seen it before, so I had to use it.

Guest Lea
Minor correction, here. Black is associated with funerals in western cultures. White is worn at Japanese (and possibly other Asian cultures)funerals.

I was speaking from my own culture in the south. Hope my edit cleared it up.:)

Re: The Golden Rule

It all depends on your perspective whether or not it is a useful rule.

Personally, I take responsibility for my screw ups and am willing to accept the consequences of my actions. I expect no less of others. I judge as I expect to be judged. Then I do unto them as I would expect to have done to me. In my view, it's about living up to your own standards for others.

My 2 cents.

Minor correction, here. Black is associated with funerals in western cultures. White is worn at Japanese (and possibly other Asian cultures)funerals.

something else along these lines gets me wondering too - if black is supposed to be the colour of evil, darkness, death etc then why do nuns and priests etc wear almost nothing but black?? If it's supposed to be associated with the devil etc surely they'd choose another colour?

I know that not all do like the pope wears white and red, cardinals are red and they throw purple in to some fathers etc as well but mostly it's black. If it was to show piety and purity surely they'd all wear white?

It just bugs me about how they use a colour to define evil when they wear it themselves - does anyone know why it is?

• Upvote 1

Purely talking about the imagery associated with colour, it irritates me that people talk about black as an extreme and white as a polar opposite. Between them there are many shades of grey and I think we forget this too often.

Soap Fairy made the same point earlier on in the thread relating it to Midnight and Midday.

Edited by Tana

^You do know that i was making the point about the way that they describe colours, not how i see them don't you? How most of them see the world in black and white i.e. evil and good, not myself.

sorry for being a pain in your ass

What a fab topic. To me darkness is the same as light, only opposite. Every single thing on this planet relies on both forces.

For example, you can't make a torch work with the batteries upside down - the conducter (us perhaps?) is there and the battery is the universal energy as I see it. When you put the battery in the right way up, you have positive and negative energy coming together to manifest into your desire.

I work alot with dark energy - it is not always bad, but it is necessary for death, decay and rebirth. I use dark energy in many of my workings, especially for protection and hexes, but mostly for when I am doing a serious healing.

One cannot help a cancer sufferer by sending them positive energy and love and light - the cancer cells will LOVE it and probably grow even faster. Here I would use dark/negative energy and pinpoint the cancer to kill it off. Afterwards, I would then send the person positive energy but focus it away from the cancer area.

It works for me, and the dark should be fully embraced and accepted just as the light for there cannot be one without the other, otherwise, for sure, there would be no existence of mankind, the Earth, or the Universe for that matter.

Ok, this is an old post that I found and am trying to resurect one of Sandy's replies, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right so please forgive any error.

I have an Uncle with liver cancer, who lives a long distance away from me. He also has many other problems arising either from liver problems or his diabeties. His heart is enlarged, his blood chemestry is going all wrong, he looks like a beached whale, feels like one and is dying like one. He has fluid drained from his abdomen weekly and has been on the transplant list for several months, but if the tumour grows much more, they won't be able to do the transplant at all.. Sorry, my emotions are running away with me and I'm rattling on a bit....

Point is, I've not realy done any healing spells for him because I'm so new to all this and don't realy know how, so I've always sent healing energy in the form of Reiki energy... light energy. Is the cancer feeding from this, am I making it worse?? (I'm not even sure I want to know that answer).

How do I help him? How do you use dark energy in healing, how do you use it to good healing effect without making things worse.

I'm sorry if you don't know me well enough to answer, but I read this and panicked.... and now I can't see a damn thing :cry:

The only person I've ever asked about this has been a wiccan friend, who told me to work energy into a candle with the intent of the best posible outcome, and said I could send healing to the 'situation' rather than trying to change his fate/destiny.

I don't give a flying f*&k about my bloody karma, I want him well. And how the shit are you ment to 'heal a situation'. Yes, that's when wicca hit the wall for me, but I haven't got experience or confidence to try stuff yet, and don't really know what I'm, trying. I've ordered the book 'Utterly Wicked: Curses, Hexes & Other Unsavory Notions' as everyone seemed to find so many usefull bits in it and I found it quite cheaply on Amazon.

Ok, emotions swung a bit from blubbering wreck to mad and pissed off. Back to point... how do you use dark energy to heal??

Firstly don't panic over something I wrote that works for me. What works for me might not work for another person. I work with both positive and negative energy. Anyone who can heal can hex - so in a way think of hexing or cursing the illness not the person. Its all the same pot, just a different ingredient so to speak.

If you are a beginner I would actually make a poppet of your Uncle using a photo of his face on the head area. Pack it with various herbs and crystals and ensure that the banishing and hexing herbs are used in the areas ONLY where he has the most problems. Fill the rest of the poppet with healing herbs and quartz crystals.

I would then use thorns from a blackthorn or hawthorn tree and pierce the poppet in the relevent places of the pain/illness in the body. You are trying to kill/curse etc the cancer and as long as you focus ONLY on the cancer, you cant really go wrong.

However, in saying this, if the worst does happen and he passes away, please do not ever think you had anything to do with it. It was his time and you did all you could.

xx

Thank you for the kind words Sandy (I'm blubbing again). I will try making a poppet as you describe, I'll do some quick research for herbs and to decide which pieces of my crystal collection will work best, I think even I can manage that :) Thanks again

Guest Lea
^You do know that i was making the point about the way that they describe colours, not how i see them don't you? How most of them see the world in black and white i.e. evil and good, not myself.

I think you brought up a good question. I don't know the answer to why they choose black since they consider it evil.

I personally don't go to the extreme with connecting things to colors. What I mean by that is, for instance, I don't have to have a certain color of candle to do spell work. If I were one to go to funerals, would probably wear something red or bright, just because I don't conform to what society considers "normal"...lol. And, I celebrate death, not that it doesn't hurt when you lose someone, on the contrary. But, it is a part of life.

As far as colors go, I am drawn to earth tones mostly. But there are other colors that I like and some I dislike. I do know that where I come from, light blues, greens was used in hospital rooms because they were meant to be "calming".

Guest Lea
Ok, this is an old post that I found and am trying to resurect one of Sandy's replies, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right so please forgive any error.

I have an Uncle with liver cancer, who lives a long distance away from me. He also has many other problems arising either from liver problems or his diabeties. His heart is enlarged, his blood chemestry is going all wrong, he looks like a beached whale, feels like one and is dying like one. He has fluid drained from his abdomen weekly and has been on the transplant list for several months, but if the tumour grows much more, they won't be able to do the transplant at all.. Sorry, my emotions are running away with me and I'm rattling on a bit....

Point is, I've not realy done any healing spells for him because I'm so new to all this and don't realy know how, so I've always sent healing energy in the form of Reiki energy... light energy. Is the cancer feeding from this, am I making it worse?? (I'm not even sure I want to know that answer).

How do I help him? How do you use dark energy in healing, how do you use it to good healing effect without making things worse.

I'm sorry if you don't know me well enough to answer, but I read this and panicked.... and now I can't see a damn thing :cry:

The only person I've ever asked about this has been a wiccan friend, who told me to work energy into a candle with the intent of the best posible outcome, and said I could send healing to the 'situation' rather than trying to change his fate/destiny.

I don't give a flying f*&k about my bloody karma, I want him well. And how the shit are you ment to 'heal a situation'. Yes, that's when wicca hit the wall for me, but I haven't got experience or confidence to try stuff yet, and don't really know what I'm, trying. I've ordered the book 'Utterly Wicked: Curses, Hexes & Other Unsavory Notions' as everyone seemed to find so many usefull bits in it and I found it quite cheaply on Amazon.

Ok, emotions swung a bit from blubbering wreck to mad and pissed off. Back to point... how do you use dark energy to heal??

It's okay WR, you are not the only one who had these thoughts, just the first one to get around to posting it....lol. Thank you!!!

I too thought the same thing when I read Sandy's post. I was also taught the same thing in Reiki. For some reason though, I had not been using it very much, kind of shyed away from it, even though I believed it worked, from personal experiences. It was the love and light that had been incorporated into it that was bothering me and had been for some time.

The saving grace with Reiki though is, I was taught that the healing energy would automaticly "know" where to go. And that is why you can not actually do something "wrong" in working with Reiki, the Universe is just using you as a tool to funnel it's energy into another person, plant, animal or object. You never use your own energy, opposed to doing so with spell working.

I understand how Sandy incorporates her Reiki into her witchcraft, like she described in making the poppet for sending the healing energy to your uncle's cancer. That makes perfect sense to me and am so very glad to have learned this!!

I really don't think the new age crap that has been entwined into Reiki was meant to be that way from Usui, just my thought....like a lot of other things that started out as something simple/natural became all bent out of shape over the years.

Guest Lea
Firstly don't panic over something I wrote that works for me. What works for me might not work for another person. I work with both positive and negative energy. Anyone who can heal can hex - so in a way think of hexing or cursing the illness not the person. Its all the same pot, just a different ingredient so to speak.

I agree. And I can see how this works. It makes sense to me that in order to do healing, why wouldn't positive/negative energy be used together? I know it is to each his/her own, but this works for me because it seems so balanced.

If you are a beginner I would actually make a poppet of your Uncle using a photo of his face on the head area. Pack it with various herbs and crystals and ensure that the banishing and hexing herbs are used in the areas ONLY where he has the most problems. Fill the rest of the poppet with healing herbs and quartz crystals.

I would then use thorns from a blackthorn or hawthorn tree and pierce the poppet in the relevent places of the pain/illness in the body. You are trying to kill/curse etc the cancer and as long as you focus ONLY on the cancer, you cant really go wrong.

However, in saying this, if the worst does happen and he passes away, please do not ever think you had anything to do with it. It was his time and you did all you could.xx

Great to see you pop in! Thank you so much for sharing this!

sorry for being a pain in your ass

Yes I do Nyx...I was generalising, not aiming it at you. Prob didn't make that clear so sorry for that. Trust me, if you were to be a pain in my ass I would tell you directly!

The only aspect of darkness I won't touch is hurting other people for sheer entertainment or joy - that's sick. That kind of darkness can consume and destroy you, because that's letting it run amuck , controlling you, and besides, I believe in the Golden Rule.

Unless it's consensual BDSM and psycho-sexual drama, which can be a lot of fun sometimes hehehe. A good boob whipping by the right and talented person can be, ummm, very titillating (or was that tit-elating? lol)

Okay, but back to the topic at hand. I've never delved into the origins, but I think dark/light, good/bad is a duality created by humans instinctively and even literally back in cave-man days (dark/night/winter - animal preditors hunted at night, more folks die/starve in winter...etc, hence dark becomes a bad thing to be feared) and elaborated on by the church as good and evil. Just a guess - never really read up on it.

I don't think the duality exists, I just think we have to use it to define and understand things with our limited perception at this point in our evolvement. I've seen people's lives hit the darkest places, and the greatest happinesses come from the chaos. I think it's all one. I think the dark and light exist in each other.

A good boob whipping by the right and talented person can be, ummm, very titillating (or was that tit-elating? lol)

That one had me painting all kinds of pictures, lol......

:eye:Wow, Great Thread! I'm another one who can't believe I never seen this thread before! Reading all the messages/responses, there have been so many aspects brought up to give thought to.

First of all I don't look at darkness as being a void, I find it to have a life to it not a nothingness. I was once told that i needed to in brace my darkness inside of me to grow, face my inner most fears. Which I have done over the years, truth is, more keep surfacing.

I have never seen black or darkness as being evil as some say, nor do I see white or light as being good either. I love the darkness as it makes me use other senses that sits in the background when in the daylight, my favorite times are actually daybreak and twilight, when its neither dark or light. I feel a heightened awareness of all my senses during this time. Like being in a very dark forest in the day time. To me this is exhilarating.

I did find Sandy's response about healing to be very informative, I never thought about it that way. Once or twice I do remember using like a lazier beam energy to burn out a disease and then send healing energy (other energy) to heal them.

I do agree with Anjel about dark energy as being more intense and more raw than light energy, its not as intense or as raw.

From what I have seen here most of us would rather live and work in more natural setting, country side, forests, wilderness, rather than in the urban or city settings. This having nothing to do with darkness but rather man made environments verses natural ones, and how the energy comes/feels to us, we are witches and gravitate to nature and natural energies I believe. While some of us thrive/or live in these other environments (man made) they do seem to become hectic to them at times.

I honestly believe that Leigh sums it up very well...

Here is what I came up with, how I learned to recognize and embrace both dark and light:

* Energy is neutral. It has no intent, wishes you neither harm or grace.

* Light and dark represent opposing aspects of all nature:

physical (sun/moon), emotional (hope/dispair), societal (dominant/submissive), instinctual (fight/flight), etc.

* All things in nature have opposition, which creates conditions for change, thus growth or decay. Lack of change results in stagnation; a void breeds nothing.

* The aspects of nature are neither good or evil.

* Witchcraft is about manipulating energy for change. To effectively encourage change, we must embrace all aspects in which change occurs.

* Good and evil, kindness and cruelty, love and hate -- these exist in our our intent, and our intent is what drives our will, which goes to manipulating the universal energy.

Clear as mud?

I do remember using like a lazier beam energy to burn out a disease

visualising little knights on horses with light sabers ............. !! xx

Yes I do Nyx...I was generalising, not aiming it at you. Prob didn't make that clear so sorry for that. Trust me, if you were to be a pain in my ass I would tell you directly!

oh ok then :D Sorry thought i'd pissed you off by repeating something - LOL nice to know you'd tell me straight up! I admire that!! :D

I have read this post with a serious fascination, it has been a good one. Thought I might throw in my two cents worth. I see light and dark as two intertwined cords not evil or good, just the potential for either. Take for example a growing plant, too much light will fry it and dry it out. Too much dark and it withers and falls. Excess either way is a killer. There has to be a balance for survival. I have yet to meet the good white witch of the south, such beings do exist in fairy tales and stories but in reality it takes a bit of both.

Guest Lea
I have read this post with a serious fascination, it has been a good one. Thought I might throw in my two cents worth. I see light and dark as two intertwined cords not evil or good, just the potential for either. Take for example a growing plant, too much light will fry it and dry it out. Too much dark and it withers and falls. Excess either way is a killer. There has to be a balance for survival. I have yet to meet the good white witch of the south, such beings do exist in fairy tales and stories but in reality it takes a bit of both.

Sorry I missed this Rune, you put this very well I think!

There are so many great post on this forum, but this one is one of my very favorites! :)

After finally changing paths, I found quickly that I had to fight dark with darker. I have not made it a secret about one person who is very strong and VERY dark. And I have found a way to control her, so I am using it. And while most bunnies would severely disapprove, I had to learn this lesson the hard way. Strange that the rest of my family approaches me from the lighter side. But I would do anything for them, as they do for me.

I embraced my darker side and sued it as I needed it. So, My coin is pretty equal now, with the exception of the physical challenges.

• Upvote 1

NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! :grin_witch: My first real post since my intro......

I agree that dark & light are two sides of the same coin. However, the dark can, will, & does pack more of a punch because it is usually brought out by anger, passion, or hate, all of which are the most powerful emotions.

IMO, the dark will always over-shadow light & light can not brighten the darkness. Turn the light off & the darkness prevails.

An example would be, try to smother someone who's angry with love & kisses, & you're likely to piss them off more.

I agree with many of the points raised on this thread. Facing the inner "darkness" was one of those personally truths that I instinctively knew I had come to terms with, that it was the next step on my path during my "wiccan depression". It's been a couple years since that revelation and I am still wrapping my head around and intellectualizing what I "know" or feel for lack of a better term. Basically, for me, I have always known that I have this "power" inside me. Due to this, I completely related to Sandy when she said that she could feel the energy "bubbling" in her solar plexus. This is where I feel it too and I have always felt this. I have spoken with many self proclaimed witches and none but one could relate to what I was refering to. Feeling this power, this energy, and thinking on it, I realized that I could only access part of it. To compare, its like getting really angry and punching something as hard as you physically can and still not having a satisfying release, like you knew that you could have hit it harder but physically couldn't. This is when I realised that my problem was that I was unbalanced. That I had to come to an inner understanding of my own nature before I could truely understand the nature of everything else and therefore affect the change that I was capable of. Basically, I was using only the lighter side and couldn't access the full power within. Now, for me, to access this full power I had to understand the dark side of myself. For the other witch I had spoken to relating to this, they had to access their lighter side as they are of a darker nature, or should I say lean towards a darker nature.

Thinking on all of this our conversations concerning the "darkness within" and the nature we lean towards,( which I'm going to call our "base nature" so I don't have to explain it everytime I refer to it. ) always end up with us discussing the "type" of energy we draw to ourselves. The conclusion the discussions came to, was that it appears you attract the energy of your "base nature" instinctivly and only when you learn to control or even recognize the other side of your nature do you attract energy of that nature. For example, it wasn't until I had this revelation that I met someone that was of the "other" nature and I have become more satisified with myself and with life. I understand that this may be an oversimplification but we all start out with babysteps, lol. I'm sure this theory will become more complex overtime and I'm interested to read other people's thoughts on this. I have more to say on this but I think I will add to it as the thread progresses.

• Upvote 1