225 replies to this topic

#221 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

bright is usually more celestial and dark is more earthly or cthonic

That makes sense to me for sure and closely mirrors my thoughts.

Sounds like I will have to look up that episode!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#222 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

I would definitely not say that dark = negative and light = positive. I have met beings of 'light' that where anything but 'positive' and beings of shadow that were neutral or even helpful or beneficial if that equals positive.

For instance, many sensitive xtians or 'lightworkers' would find the energy of an actual non-Wiccan witch repulsive or 'negative'. This is simply because it does not jive with their own energy, not because that person is negative or evil or that their energy is dark.

This is why I cringe when people start talking about 'high' or 'low' energy as well.  We all have energy that fluctuates depending on our health or state of mind, as well as other factors. Those that speak of 'lower' energy or 'lower' planes (as in they are 'higher') are not taking these factors into account, or the fact that they feel repulsed by certain kinds of energy simply because it is so different from their own, not because it is 'negative'. 
Sorry for the rant, it is a peeve of mine.

No offense taken! I see where you are coming from..also really can find myself in the it depends where you are yourself and how you perceive the energy surrounding..more food for thought

#223 StJohn

StJohn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

This is why I cringe when people start talking about 'high' or 'low' energy as well. 

This just made me giggle a little bit, only because those are the only words I can use to describe the energy I feel from people as compared to sounds. So when I'm describing someone's energy to my boyfriend, I'll go "Yeah, I don't know how to explain it to you, but it's kind of like *imitates the sound of nails on a chalkboard*, kind of high frequency like that." And anyone who's energy is okay with me, it feels low with some bass to it, like a bass guitar or the low bass in a slow drum & bass track.

One of these days I'm going to start beatboxing to describe people's energies. I'll pass you the mixtape sometime.  :D 

As for the darkness within debate: once upon a time, when a witchy irl friend of mine brought to my attention that I could be a hell of an empath, I looked up information about it and read a few basic things here and there. I lost interest around several pages of 'healer, good people to be around, uplifting and white magic and blah blah'. I've never liked the idea of just working with 'light' and denying the dark, or the void. It exists, it deserves its time of day, all you do by ignoring it is hold it down like a spring. And once its off, it'll slap someone and take an eye out. I'll figure it out, but GAH, the depiction of 'good' empaths as all sunshine and refusing to give in to dark impulses... come on, sometimes I want to make sure I stick a chip on a bitch's shoulder sometime. A nice big one. When deserved.

אל תפחד

#224 Guest_Planewalker_*

Guest_Planewalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:34 AM

I think it depends on how you think of the difference between dark and light. I look at darkness as an unsatisfiable appetite. It becomes blacker and blacker until there is no way to discern anything. Comparisons are useless. The light requires balance. You see differences in shades of a color and there are shadows and lines to define things.

#225 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

I've posted on this thread before, about beginning to work with the darker parts of myself and the strength I found there. So far I have only used it in a fairly 'unselfish' way mainly for healing work. I'm beginning to get more interested in tapping into this will in pursuit of things I want. Because like many people on here I did experience the ‘dark night of the soul’. For me it was part of the transformation when I became a mother. It was a dark and terrible time in a way when I felt very disempowered for all sorts of reasons – but it set me on the path towards traditional craft. Originally I saw the darkness as external and overwhelming but through exploring divination and shamanism I recognised and accepted the darkness within me. I realised how much power it gave me, if I chose to embrace it. It is powerful for healing without a doubt and protected me when I stupidly went after a horrible cancer entity without nearly enough training or experience.

I do wonder if it could become addictive and maybe that’s why I’ve hesitated to embrace it fully. Not because it’s a cartoon ‘baddie’ but because I feel like I could lose aspects of myself (or at least my self-image) that I value if I used it to the logical extreme. So I suppose I have set myself strict ethics to abide by until I’m very clear about how much I’m willing to change.

Edited by witchinplainsight, 22 March 2018 - 08:10 PM.

#226 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 544 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:35 AM

<Another long thread but well worth a read>

Life is better with Cake!