• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

Broomflower, your thoughts are very interesting, thanks for sharing them. :party9:
"Mind is the Master-power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills-He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass.”

- James Allen

#22 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

When I scry I use fire, I have never seen people doing things as the OP claimed, it's more like images, signs, and thoughts that I pick up.

Usually when I scry with water or fire I do just get images and feelings (sensations). ITs been rare for my visions to play out like a movie scene, but that is exactly what has happened since I started using the quartz crystal ball.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#23 Guest_Ophelia_*

Guest_Ophelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

Usually when I scry with water or fire I do just get images and feelings (sensations). ITs been rare for my visions to play out like a movie scene, but that is exactly what has happened since I started using the quartz crystal ball.

I typically do water-based scrying...either with a drop of oil in the water or without...I use only a small black cauldron that I have.
The other method I just recently discovered is EGG SCRYING.....has anyone ever heard of this one? It was pretty cool..and easy. While sitting quietly in front of one white lit candle, u hold the egg (raw), and quiet your mind..when u're ready, u pierce both ends of the egg with a pin, and let a few drops of egg WHITE into a glass of water...(the glass is about 3/4 filled). Don't touch the glass! Leave it be...wait a couple of hours..go back and see what you find at the bottom of the glass....I found an airplane..my bags are packed ;-)

#24 morganeuse

morganeuse

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hi Jevne,

oh my word, I'll try, pull me up if this rambles ok?

The drift, or derive, comes from the subject of psychogeography. It's a fairly wide-ranging subject, generally born in 19th century Paris I think, as a response to urbanisation and the alienation of the person in an urban landscape.
Surrealists and situationists began using the city as a playground, re-imagining it's features in a more mythic way ie. arches became otherworldly portals, underground streams carried messages etc, the subject grew huge. This was an attempt to reclaim their environment, mapping their own cosmologies or mythologies onto what they found.

Invariably, occultists took a keen interest in this, finding a new way of interacting with their environment. Cities began to 'speak', take on their own language and show their symbolism to anyone who wanted to find it. People 'drift' around the streets, trespassing, cutting corners, finding hidden places and spots of power. Synchronicity plays a HUGE part in this. Through meaningful co-incidence, the city/spirits of place can show you new things, answer questions, give you new questions. The magician follows where the spirits point, catching billboard messages which seem relevant, or snippets of conversation, music lyrics etc. Done in the correct frame of mind it's a hugely fun, involved way of working with a place one may initially feel divorced from.

It's also handy for finding ingredients for magic, wandering with your intent in mind and coming across something relevant that the spirits of place throw at you.

This link has Stephen Grasso's much more lucid explanation;

http://worldtree.tri...90-b1b53e822fb1

Hope that made sense, :)

That link was absolutely fascinating. This is something I've always done, but I've never called it drifting (I've never called it anything, actually, just done it).

Re. the Theban comments - I created my own alphabet code using a mixture of Theban, Passing the River, Malachim and Futhark; I use this as a code for diaries/anything I don't want others to read, though I don't use it much for divination.

I divine with fire and water quite often. I also throw bones and shells.

Another thing I do: my attic (where I do most of my divining) is decked out with saris, so it looks a bit like a tent. They're all really brightly coloured, and the floor is dark purple. Sometimes I sit and go into what I suppose is a trance state, and then use the saris (i.e. the 'walls' themselves) for divination. I find this works very well, and is extremely interesting because the messages are all around, not confined to a small space the way they are when divining with fire/bones/water etc. This is probably also why I like drifting, I suppose. :)

#25 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Has anyone scryed using shadows. I've done that for as long as I can remember. I have never seen the future or anything like that. I see images - especially faces. I often go into a light trance doing this. sometimes I see quite strange things that don't make much sense

#26 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

Has anyone scryed using shadows. I've done that for as long as I can remember. I have never seen the future or anything like that. I see images - especially faces. I often go into a light trance doing this. sometimes I see quite strange things that don't make much sense

Actually, I know exactly what you are talking about. I do not really have names for many of my Craft-related practices, but your post describes a form of "seeing" that I have used since I was a child. I can't see the future, either, but I can see the past; flashes of people or objects.

Jevne

Edited by Jevne, 31 December 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#27 JessicaAFM

JessicaAFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

Yes on the scrying with fire, the drift (although not to the extent mentioned in the article), water and shadows. I also use the tarot.

I have thought about the quartz ball, runes and mirror but have never gotten around to it. Plus I am a thrifty witch and buying an expensive ball is not high on my priority list.

I have never heard of the egg method.

Jessica

#28 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

Actually, I know exactly what you are talking about. Like I've said before, my family doesn't really have names for many of our Craft-related practices, but your post describes a form of "seeing" that I have used since I was a child. I can't see the future, either, but I can see the past; flashes of people or objects.

Jevne

Thanks Jevne, Didn't really know if anyone else did this. I have been doing this type of thing since I was very, very little, think from when I was 5 or 6, but I think probably all kids can do this sort of scrying. I do this using other things such as patterns. However it works best with shadows. I have never stopped doing this, because I still have the same imagination I had when I was a kid, don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing sometimes. I've learnt to recognise what is imagination and what is something else, some other, however the two overlap greatly, its what makes things work with me, like clicking a switch. It's the same feeling I have in dreams, I just wish I could make sense of it more often. I've had dreams that have come true. But again I don't think of it as seeing the future. I think I just sense things and then they become images. Does that make sense? it can be difficult to explain.

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

I have also been doing this type of thing, since I was little; though, I have never really thought of it as scrying. I'm quite adept at other forms of scrying (mirrors, pendulums and fire), and this just feels different than those. I have more of a sensation of seeing through the veils of space and time; like to other dimensions, but without the Star Trek music.

(Edited to remove personal information)

Now, it isn't necessarily a specific pattern, but I'll see faces and objects on people and things. Almost like x-ray vision, but not quite that cool. Most of the time, the objects are terribly mundane and inconsequential, like chairs and trees. The faces are more interesting, but not usual of any particular importance. They may acknowledge me with a smile or nod, but most of the time, there isn't even a glimmer of response; like someone passing me on the street. I've spent my life in a world filled with Witchcraft, and as a result, see such things as natural. In other words, I'm not inclined to think there is anyone trying to convey some life-altering message to me. Sometimes, a chair is just a chair.

It is nice to learn of someone else who sees the patterns in the shadows.

Jevne

#30 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

I have also been doing this type of thing, since I was little; though, I have never really thought of it as scrying. I'm quite adept at other forms of scrying (mirrors, pendulums and fire), and this just feels different than those. I have more of a sensation of seeing through the veils of space and time; like to other dimensions, but without the Star Trek music.

I understand about the patterns . . . Right after my parents divorced, when I was 8, we moved into this trashy apartment, that was inhabited by a nasty spirit, which made my life a living hell for about 3 years. Anyway, in the bathroom, the tile on the wall formed a repeating pattern, that to me looked like 5 men standing in a row. They were my protectors.

My mother was already so torn up about the divorce that I didn't want to trouble her with the spirit that was torturing me, so I turned to my protectors. Whether by child's imagination or magical influence or both, one of the protector's shadows would lift out of the wall, like in a 3D movie, and help me. Now that I think about it, each of the 5 had some special purpose. One chased away the bad spirit. One sat with me, so I could sleep. Etc.

Now, it isn't necessarily a specific pattern, but I'll see faces and objects on people and things. Almost like x-ray vision, but not quite that cool. Most of the time, the objects are terribly mundane and inconsequential, like chairs and trees. The faces are more interesting, but not usual of any particular importance. They may acknowledge me with a smile or nod, but most of the time, there isn't even a glimmer of response; like someone passing me on the street. I've spent my life in a world filled with Witchcraft, and as a result, see such things as natural. In other words, I'm not inclined to think there is anyone trying to convey some life-altering message to me. Sometimes, a chair is just a chair.

Jevne

Really interesting - never come across this so much in this context before - I see shapes in many things most days - shadows, patterns, glimpses of everyday stuff out of the corner of my eye changing into other things. Its so common an occurance I haven't been paying attention.

I am going to try to take more notice of the things I am seeing to see whether they have relevance. Just so busy!!!!! Must add to my list to do: a dream diary, an hallucination diary...!

By the way, the witch in the Robin Hood film (the one with Kevin Costner) broke an egg into a bowl, didn't she? to do a bit of scrying - interesting!:chakrahearts:

#31 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

I understand about the patterns . . . Right after my parents divorced, when I was 8, we moved into this trashy apartment, that was inhabited by a nasty spirit, which made my life a living hell for about 3 years. Anyway, in the bathroom, the tile on the wall formed a repeating pattern, that to me looked like 5 men standing in a row. They were my protectors.

My mother was already so torn up about the divorce that I didn't want to trouble her with the spirit that was torturing me, so I turned to my protectors. Whether by child's imagination or magical influence or both, one of the protector's shadows would lift out of the wall, like in a 3D movie, and help me. Now that I think about it, each of the 5 had some special purpose. One chased away the bad spirit. One sat with me, so I could sleep. Etc.

Jevne

Very interesting. The patterns you describe is like how I see them, I see faces and objects too but like you they mundane and not anything that seems important. The nasty spirit sounds horriable. But its great that you recognised your protectors.

#32 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

I typically do water-based scrying...either with a drop of oil in the water or without...I use only a small black cauldron that I have.
The other method I just recently discovered is EGG SCRYING.....has anyone ever heard of this one? It was pretty cool..and easy. While sitting quietly in front of one white lit candle, u hold the egg (raw), and quiet your mind..when u're ready, u pierce both ends of the egg with a pin, and let a few drops of egg WHITE into a glass of water...(the glass is about 3/4 filled). Don't touch the glass! Leave it be...wait a couple of hours..go back and see what you find at the bottom of the glass....I found an airplane..my bags are packed ;-)

Sounds interesting, I have not tried egg scrying. I do a lot of mirror and water scrying. I draw too and let the pencil flow. This is different, and a different type of feeling, But I also use this for scrying.

#33 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

I am interested in trying a black mirror, too, but for now, the water works well. I have found that I need to be in the correct frame of mind to have a successful scrying session. I need more practice!

I know the old black scrying mirror or obsidian ball is alot more aesthetically pleasing, but a switched off tv screen will do just as well or a monitor for that matter...

I love the British Museum and living in london I get to visit quite a bit.. one of my favourite artifacts is John Dees Obsidan Scrying mirror used by him and Edward kelly. Many times I have passed that mirror and stopped to gaze into it for a while.. :ninja: and always seem to find it hard to pull myself away...

Link to artifact below to those who may find it of interest:

http://www.britishmu...ees_mirror.aspx

#34 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

That's exactly what it is. You normally put the writing utensil in the opposite of the hand you write with, place it on paper and let it do it's own thing. You can ask questions or just let it go while you do anything else, like watch tv or something for instance or at least that's how I've always done it. You basically give something else control over your hand.

It's also good for spirit contact.

I wonder whats wrong with me. When I have done that, the writing is a mirror image - ie. backwards.

#35 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Autumn Moon - I write backwards with my left hand naturally (I used to be left handed but woke up one day right handed. From then on whenever I've written with my left hand it's been backwards)

Yet whenever I have attempted automatic writing it has come out a mix of 'normal' writing and my mirrored writing - like having a conversation from two sides of the page, most of it comes out forward facing though with small interjections of my backward writing.

So in a sense I write backwards with automatic writing as well, but damn it's easier to read...

#36 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Bumping this interesting thread. :)

One of the less 'common' forms of scrying I do is with blood and water. Set up some blood to slowly drop into a bowl or bottle of water and scry into the images. I think some people use the same method with ink, but I find blood gives me much better results.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#37 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

I use oil and water,I adapted this from a version that my nonna used for removing the evil eye.I have two large black glass tables in the garden as garden furniture that I also use amongst other things.I have an old varse with a large rim top.I painted the alphabet on inside of the rim and use with a pendulum. But fire is the most fun for me,well at least in the autumn it is.

#38 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

I use fire more often than not, but I've used black mirrors and crystal balls before with great results.

Another thing I do often (and my father does it as well, though I know he doesn't consider it magical) is just "space out." I let my mind go blank and it doesn't matter what I'm looking at, visions will come. Some days it's more vivid, some days it's just snippets, some days I just notice messages in my surroundings (like the drifting), but it never fails that if I just shut the world out for a minute, I'll pick something up.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#39 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

I was told once that closing your eyes you can just use the 'back of your eyelids' as a black mirror to scry on. That doesn't really appeal as much to my artistic nature as my homemade black mirrors I've done with ritual paint do, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for when you're on the go.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#40 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Scrying on the go,how wonderfully put A.