60 replies to this topic

#1 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

So there are a lot of topics about different tarot decks and about ouija boards.
I wanted to discuss other forms of divination and scrying. I recently obtained a beautiful quartz crystal ball. And the few times I have been able to really connect and trance/scry with it the images and knowledge has been 100% accurate. I was testing it the first time and decided to scry about my mothers current activities. I wrote down the time I started scrying an what I saw her doing. When I finished I waited a little bit and called her and asked what she had been doing at the time I was scrying and it was exactly what I had seen. The other times following that one have been just a accurate.
I also have come to possess a beautiful bowl that was carved out of a river rock. I haven't used it for scrying yet but that's what it keeps telling me it's purpose is for water scrying. I have never scryed with water.

What forms of divination do you'll use that aren't the most mainstream?
One of my personal favs is also automatic writing and biblioscrying. Where you have a question walk up to a bookcase vlose your eyes concentrate on tour question and let your inturion guide tour hand to the right book. And then let the book fall open an your finger fall on a part o the page and amazingly that passage is usually spot on for guidance.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

What forms of divination do you'll use that aren't the most mainstream? One of my personal favs is also automatic writing and biblioscrying. Where you have a question walk up to a bookcase vlose your eyes concentrate on tour question and let your inturion guide tour hand to the right book. And then let the book fall open an your finger fall on a part o the page and amazingly that passage is usually spot on for guidance.

RavenFlyer,

I also use automatic writing, but rarely intentionally. I will be writing something, a letter, a recipe, or whatever, and all of the sudden start writing something totally unrelated. At the time, it usually doesn't make any sense, but later I'll find out that the writing was connected to some person or event. The only time I rely on biblioscrying is when I absolutely have no idea where to start . . . I just open my Grimoire and point to a section. It works.

Jevne

#3 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

So there are a lot of topics about different tarot decks and about ouija boards.
I wanted to discuss other forms of divination and scrying...
I also have come to possess a beautiful bowl that was carved out of a river rock. I haven't used it for scrying yet but that's what it keeps telling me it's purpose is for water scrying. I have never scryed with water.

One of my personal favs is also automatic writing and biblioscrying. Where you have a question walk up to a bookcase vlose your eyes concentrate on tour question and let your inturion guide tour hand to the right book. And then let the book fall open an your finger fall on a part o the page and amazingly that passage is usually spot on for guidance.

Hey RF,
Sounds like you have some great successes! I do water-scrying myself for the most part. One thing I have used it for is for divining the use of plants that I cannot categorize and have found no help in any of my other resources. Seems kinda non-divination-y, though, I know. It usually tells me what parts of the plant to use and for what purpose. The impressions can be interesting puzzles to work out in themselves. I am interested in trying a black mirror, too, but for now, the water works well. I have found that I need to be in the correct frame of mind to have a successful scrying session. I need more practice!

#4 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi RF
I live on the South Devon Coast and have made use of Moon Pools which are the Rock pools formed at Low tide. When in a particular position and phase, the Moon creates what visually resembles pools of QuickSilver. On a Dark Moon the pools are like Black Mirrors. They have provided some interesting visions and insights primarily concerning myself.
Other Scrying Tools providing interesting visions have been coloured Cider bottles. The visions were probably Cider induced though lol.
My preferred choice for divination though are your bog standard playing cards.

#5 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

I love using books for divination^_^ I also work a lot with I-ching, it's always been right, and just coins in general. I've been known to ask for a couple coins when trying to decide between two things, throw them and go with the answer I get. It works well for me. I also use the plain deck of cards.

#6 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

I wanted to discuss other forms of divination and scrying. I recently obtained a beautiful quartz crystal ball. And the few times I have been able to really connect and trance/scry with it the images and knowledge has been 100% accurate. I was testing it the first time and decided to scry about my mothers current activities. I wrote down the time I started scrying an what I saw her doing. When I finished I waited a little bit and called her and asked what she had been doing at the time I was scrying and it was exactly what I had seen. The other times following that one have been just a accurate.

How do you do automatic writing? Its really strange because I had a dream the other night where I was doing automatic writing but it was like my hand had been taken over by something and it was writing streams and streams of stuff which I can't remember. It felt like something invisible had hold of my hand and was writing for me.
I have never tried it in real life, so I'm sure its not quite that dramatic. What do you think about when you do it?

"Mind is the Master-power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills-He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass.”

- James Allen

#7 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

How do you do automatic writing? Its really strange because I had a dream the other night where I was doing automatic writing but it was like my hand had been taken over by something and it was writing streams and streams of stuff which I can't remember. It felt like something invisible had hold of my hand and was writing for me.
I have never tried it in real life, so I'm sure its not quite that dramatic. What do you think about when you do it?

That's exactly what it is. You normally put the writing utensil in the opposite of the hand you write with, place it on paper and let it do it's own thing. You can ask questions or just let it go while you do anything else, like watch tv or something for instance or at least that's how I've always done it. You basically give something else control over your hand.

It's also good for spirit contact.

#8 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

That's exactly what it is. You normally put the writing utensil in the opposite of the hand you write with, place it on paper and let it do it's own thing. You can ask questions or just let it go while you do anything else, like watch tv or something for instance or at least that's how I've always done it. You basically give something else control over your hand.

It's also good for spirit contact.

Thanks for the advice, perhaps I should give it a try and see what results I get. Wish I could remember what all that writing said in my dream.

"Mind is the Master-power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills-He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass.”

- James Allen

#9 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, perhaps I should give it a try and see what results I get. Wish I could remember what all that writing said in my dream.

the dream could have just been a way to tell you to do automatic writing, cause maybe there's a message that needs to be gotten to you, or maybe it's something subconsciously you know you what to do.

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

I do not think about anything, which for me is the key to making it work. I just start writing anything that comes to my mind, switching from one topic to the next as it comes to me. Before long, I'm writing faster than I am thinking and the things that I write are not what I was thinking about at all. Some of what appears is interesting, some is strange and like I said, doesn't make sense usually until later.

Jevne

#11 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

Ok, it's not scrying as such, but it is divination. Anyone here work with the drift, or derive?
I really find this incredibly useful, seriously, in an urban environment. The spirits of place just chuck messages at you if you do this lol.
One guy who's got some good stuff about this is Stephen Grasso, a London based Vodouisant (or Voodoo, since it's specifically London, not Haiti).

Recommend it :)

#12 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:32 AM

Ok, it's not scrying as such, but it is divination. Anyone here work with the drift, or derive?
I really find this incredibly useful, seriously, in an urban environment. The spirits of place just chuck messages at you if you do this lol.
One guy who's got some good stuff about this is Stephen Grasso, a London based Vodouisant (or Voodoo, since it's specifically London, not Haiti).

Recommend it :)

I'm not familiar with the terms. Please explain . . .
Jevne

#13 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hi Jevne,

oh my word, I'll try, pull me up if this rambles ok?

The drift, or derive, comes from the subject of psychogeography. It's a fairly wide-ranging subject, generally born in 19th century Paris I think, as a response to urbanisation and the alienation of the person in an urban landscape.
Surrealists and situationists began using the city as a playground, re-imagining it's features in a more mythic way ie. arches became otherworldly portals, underground streams carried messages etc, the subject grew huge. This was an attempt to reclaim their environment, mapping their own cosmologies or mythologies onto what they found.

Invariably, occultists took a keen interest in this, finding a new way of interacting with their environment. Cities began to 'speak', take on their own language and show their symbolism to anyone who wanted to find it. People 'drift' around the streets, trespassing, cutting corners, finding hidden places and spots of power. Synchronicity plays a HUGE part in this. Through meaningful co-incidence, the city/spirits of place can show you new things, answer questions, give you new questions. The magician follows where the spirits point, catching billboard messages which seem relevant, or snippets of conversation, music lyrics etc. Done in the correct frame of mind it's a hugely fun, involved way of working with a place one may initially feel divorced from.

It's also handy for finding ingredients for magic, wandering with your intent in mind and coming across something relevant that the spirits of place throw at you.

This link has Stephen Grasso's much more lucid explanation;

http://worldtree.tri...90-b1b53e822fb1

Hope that made sense, :)

Edited by Thunorson, 08 July 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#14 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Hi Jevne,

oh my word, I'll try, pull me up if this rambles ok?

The drift, or derive, comes from the subject of psychogeography. It's a fairly wide-ranging subject, generally born in 19th century Paris I think, as a response to urbanisation and the alienation of the person in an urban landscape.
Surrealists and situationists began using the city as a playground, re-imagining it's features in a more mythic way ie. arches became otherworldly portals, underground streams carried messages etc, the subject grew huge. This was an attempt to reclaim their environment, mapping their own cosmologies or mythologies onto what they found.

Invariably, occultists took a keen interest in this, finding a new way of interacting with their environment. Cities began to 'speak', take on their own language and show their symbolism to anyone who wanted to find it. People 'drift' around the streets, trespassing, cutting corners, finding hidden places and spots of power. Synchronicity plays a HUGE part in this. Through meaningful co-incidence, the city/spirits of place can show you new things, answer questions, give you new questions. The magician follows where the spirits point, catching billboard messages which seem relevant, or snippets of conversation, music lyrics etc. Done in the correct frame of mind it's a hugely fun, involved way of working with a place one may initially feel divorced from.

It's also handy for finding ingredients for magic, wandering with your intent in mind and coming across something relevant that the spirits of place throw at you.

This link has Stephen Grasso's much more lucid explanation;

http://worldtree.tri...90-b1b53e822fb1

Hope that made sense, :)

Well, that link was certainly an interesting read!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#15 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

When I scry I use fire, I have never seen people doing things as the OP claimed, it's more like images, signs, and thoughts that I pick up.
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#16 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Tarot and oracle decks are probably what I use the most often. I mentioned my use of automatic writing in the Ouija thread. I use Theban cipher when writing automatically, to slow myself down, because if I use my own cursive handwriting it comes out as an illegible scribble.

I just bought a new pendulum I haven't had time to use very much yet, but it shore is purty! Yay, shiny!

I made a black mirror by spray painting the back of the glass in a picture frame black. I sprayed the frame to match. This is what I use the most apart from the cards, although I also use it for spirit communication.

I also use a self-made system of divination consisting of a series of meaningful symbols painted on smooth river rocks and pieces of bluestone. It's personalized and nifty, but I don't use it that often, and then usually as a supplement to other divinations.

I had a crystal ball that I got in a barter that I used to use. It was lost in a fire, probably knocked down behind the sink by the firefighters when they smashed the kitchen window (I had it sitting on the sill next to my "dishwashing Buddha") or else it rolled into the sink with all the dirty dishes and broken glass. I didn't use it that often, and truth be told when I did I didn't really enjoy using it, but I do miss it.

I also have used runes, visions, dreams, dice, playing cards, and natural omens, among other forms. I tried to learn palmistry but it didn't do that much for me and anyway, enough's enough.

Eat your lawn.

#17 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

It does make sense. You wander around with an open heart and open mind, flowing with the rhythms of the place, the people, etc. to find that which "speaks to you". I do this, but I've never heard it referred to in reference to scrying or divination.

Jevne

#18 Panacea

Panacea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

I made a black mirror by spray painting the back of the glass in a picture frame black. I sprayed the frame to match. This is what I use the most apart from the cards, although I also use it for spirit communication.

This is such a brilliant idea, I'm going to try it! Also how on earth can you write in Theban quickly? It took me about half an hour just to write down the alphabet! :laugh:

- James Allen

#19 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

This is such a brilliant idea, I'm going to try it! Also how on earth can you write in Theban quickly? It took me about half an hour just to write down the alphabet! :laugh:

I can write as fluently in Theban cipher as I can in the English alphabet, and read it almost as easily, and it probably won't be long before I'm almost as familiar with Passing The River, which will actually kind of suck because that's the one I use when I want to encrypt something magically that requires a little more concentration. I'm familiar enough with Theban I've even been known to absent-mindedly scrawl out a shopping list in Theban and not notice I wasn't writing in English until I got to the grocery store.

The reason I'm so good at Theban is because when my son was a baby, I earned extra money making altar pentacles and selling or bartering them at shops and festivals, and people started coming to me for custom work, and would want stuff personalized. I stopped using it for a few years, probably enough time for it to really sink in on a subconscious level.

About two years ago, my house burned down, which was traumatizing, and the woman who put us up while we were homeless was generous but nosy as hell and a little crazy. I wanted to keep a journal to process the grief, but she would sometimes go through my stuff and I had no privacy. Then one night I thought, I wonder if I still remember Theban? And I tried to see if I could write out the alphabet, and lo and behold I found consciously remembered everything except K, Q, X, Y, and Z. K, Q, and Y came back to me quickly, and X and Z I just looked up online. So anyway, I started to keep a journal in Theban to process the intense emotions of the loss, and it was perfect for this because it was encoded and I could write anything. I filled three notebooks in about a month! And of course, the more you use anything, the easier it gets. I still keep my BOS, grimoire, and formulary in Theban, and use it often enough that I've developed my own hand, unique handwriting, in Theban. I wonder what a graphologist would make of it? :teehee:

Back on topic, using Theban or other cipher for automatic writing: it may be best to use one that you are totally fluent with, and use without conscious thought, because translating unfamilar symbols is a conscious activity, and automatic writing is not. I started using Theban for automatism several months after keeping the notebooks - although sometimes automatism is a good way to find out just how fluent you are in something, because it utilizes information coming from elsewhere besides our conscious, waking, minds. Think of the girl who woke up from a coma speaking fluent German that she picked up unconsciously from television. We don't know even a fraction of the stuff that we absorb and/or can access subconsciously.

Because I do use Theban frequently, when I practice automatisim, I use a specific color ink. That and the Theban are an "anchor" to magickal consciousness for me, which helps open the way for the automatic writing. It may even be helpful, for people who have trouble with automatism, to pick an unusual ink to write in, or a specific kind of paper, or to become very familiar with a cipher, or try writing in another language other than their everyday speech if they know one, (Did you take Latin or French in high school? You remember more than you think!) to set the anchor forthe right state of mind. The grammar and spelling doesn't have to be perfect. In fact sometimes when I write automatically in Theban, I'll find the letters K, Q, X, Y and Z are skipped! If Theban is intimidating, try pigpen (did you have a "secret club" with your friends as a kid?) or Morse code - the idea is to use something that you're familiar with, but not for everyday usage. If you think you may know it well enough, but are not sure, it's probably the perfect thing. Using a form of writing slightly unfamiliar or out of the ordinary helps you shift consciousness, sending a signal to your mind that it's time to shut up and do something different.

And don't worry about "doing it wrong" or not knowing all the letters (like K, Q, X, Y and Z!) or proper grammar. Those functions, as well as the worry about them, are functions of the conscious mind, the very thing we want to put to bed for a little while when doing automatic writing or other forms of channeling or divination.

Eat your lawn.

#20 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:56 AM

I can write as fluently in Theban cipher as I can in the English alphabet, and read it almost as easily, . . .

I use a version of the Theban alphabet. Other forms of writing and language are also incorporated into my Craft. I use a combination of the Theban alphabet, hieroglyphics (sp?) and other symbols, which mean absolutely nothing to anyone, but me. I have been perfecting and expanding my personal code for over 30 years. Naturally, I can read it easily. When at work, I will start to write in my code without even thinking about it. I took three entire pages of notes for my supervisor at a conference, before realizing that she wasn't going to be able to read them. I had to spend the whole evening translating them for her meeting the next day.

Jevne