• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Selene

Selene

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

I love the image of divinity being a spark in everything. Also, that deities are composed of concentrations of collective energy. This feels true at a comprehensive level.

I remember my son, when he was seven, asking a friend about a guru (ammachi)
"if there is god in everyone, why is there more god in her?" the friend replied,
"I don't know, but there is."

I wonder if it is the amount of focus the spark within receives that allows it to grow, or some other sort of awareness.

#22 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

I guess I'm the only one that believes in quantum theory. lol
I believe that we attract into our lives whatever we put out....as in our wave length.
It's all about perspective. Happy people live in Happy worlds....Sad people live in Sad worlds...it's the same world.
I believe my emotions, thought process and view on certain things ultimately decide the outcome of my life.
There is nothing separate from us...WE are the divine in physical form. We are, in a sense, the Universe becoming conscious of itself. So in my world, worshiping deities becomes obsolete. I AM the creator of my world.

:ani_witch_moon:

I understand what you are saying here and, to an extent, it makes sense. My question, however, is how would this concept apply to those that have chemical imbalances like depression that preclude them from being a "happy" person a good deal of the time, even though they have very little control over the situation?

#23 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

For me, personally, the only Divine is nature and the cosmos itself. It was here before mankind and will be after. It has ample power to give life and to take it away. It is also the place where I feel, by far, the most at peace and "connected"-out among the trees, dirt, wind and plants. I cannot get comfortable with putting any deities' name on it. Just my personal way of looking at it.

#24 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Loved reading this thread.

What do I believe? Well I believe in the unseen, the energies which flow throughout out the universe. Not so outlandinsh even the astro physicist believes that the universe consists of 75% Dark Matter, which cant be seen, cant be detected, cant be proven.....more a leap of faith than any of mine.
I have a Diety, not one I blame for everything, just a really powerfull Entity.
An I always know when something is 100% right and when it's 100% wrong-although if it suits I may persuede myself otherwise. Then theres the stuff I havent a clue about an I should have by all accounts, a 50% chance of being right about.
I feel the energies given off by people and things in the natural world and sometimes use these to steer a path.
I know I've seen an done loadsa stuff that cant be explained scientifically. I also realise that in the scheme of things I know very little, but I am very willing to learn.

Happiness to all.

#25 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

Well, I have to retract my previous statement regarding deity, as I have been, recently, smacked upside the head to get my attention from one. So much to learn! :embarased:

Elizabeth

#26 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

Well, I have to retract my previous statement regarding deity, as I have been, recently, smacked upside the head to get my attention from one. So much to learn! :embarased:

Elizabeth

Not to rain on your parade, but are you sure it is a Deity that is doing the smacking. The world is full of tricksters and others who aren't what they seem to be or what you think they are. Once you have identified something or someone, you tend to attribute characteristics to it based on your preconceived notions. If that entity is not what you supposed it to be, you could get into a pickle.

Jevne

#27 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but are you sure it is a Deity that is doing the smacking. The world is full of tricksters and others who aren't what they seem to be or what you think they are. Once you have identified something or someone, you tend to attribute characteristics to it based on your preconceived notions. If that entity is not what you supposed it to be, you could get into a pickle.

Jevne

This is what happened. I had a Native American style Tarot reading done by a woman who is remarkable. It was an hour and a half long and everything she said was right on the money with the exception of a couple of head scratchers, which were clarified in other ways later. During the reading, she looked at me and said "what deities do you work with", to which I replied "none, just Mother Earth and Father Sky". She looked at me and said "are you familiar with Bridgit", I told her that I knew only a little about her. She then said "you really need to look into her". So, I studied up on her, and discovered that many of her attributes are consistent with the things happening on my path, thus far. So, I meditated on her and got that hot, tingly thing in my palms that I get when I focus my energy. That's when I felt like I was being whacked on the head. Very soon after, I had a very new experience that I was not expecting at all. Trusting and valuing your opinion, as I do Jevne, does this make sense to you?

Elizabeth

#28 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

This is what happened. I had a Native American style Tarot reading done by a woman who is remarkable. It was an hour and a half long and everything she said was right on the money with the exception of a couple of head scratchers, which were clarified in other ways later. During the reading, she looked at me and said "what deities do you work with", to which I replied "none, just Mother Earth and Father Sky". She looked at me and said "are you familiar with Bridgit", I told her that I knew only a little about her. She then said "you really need to look into her". So, I studied up on her, and discovered that many of her attributes are consistent with the things happening on my path, thus far. So, I meditated on her and got that hot, tingly thing in my palms that I get when I focus my energy. That's when I felt like I was being whacked on the head. Very soon after, I had a very new experience that I was not expecting at all. Trusting and valuing your opinion, as I do Jevne, does this make sense to you?

Elizabeth

Hi, Elizabeth:

Every once in awhile, we meet someone that we feel that we have known for ages. You know the type of interaction I am referring to. You feel instantly at ease with each other. That type of immediate connection is possible in the mundane and the magical world, so I believe and understand what you are saying and what you felt.

I only suggest that you take time to get to know and understand this new connection and/or feeling. Even if you do feel immediately at ease with someone, you have to take the time to really get to know each other, explore the boundaries of the relationship. Show respect and curiousity and openness, but do not immediately assume the role of underling or student to be guided. If this new connection (be it Deity or not) is true, this new relationship will blossom and grow in time.

Jevne

#29 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:44 AM

Every once in awhile, we meet someone that we feel that we have known for ages. You know the type of interaction I am referring to. You feel instantly at ease with each other. That type of immediate connection is possible in the mundane and the magical world, so I believe and understand what you are saying and what you felt.

Do you think these experiences could have to do with, or are sometimes are influenced by, past lives and past relationships and acquaintances?

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#30 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

Hi, Elizabeth:

I only suggest that you take time to get to know and understand this new connection and/or feeling. Even if you do feel immediately at ease with someone, you have to take the time to really get to know each other, explore the boundaries of the relationship. Show respect and curiousity and openness, but do not immediately assume the role of underling or student to be guided. If this new connection (be it Deity or not) is true, this new relationship will blossom and grow in time.

Jevne

Thank you, Jevne. That is very good advice. Patience is something I am having to really work on these days. I'm also trying to rely on my own instinct more and more. Hopefully, if I can accomplish these two things, I may have less questions! (Yeah RIGHT!)
Elizabeth

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

Do you think these experiences could have to do with, or are sometimes are influenced by, past lives and past relationships and acquaintances?

That is a distinct possibility. While I am not convinced of the inevitability (sp?) of reincarnation, as implied by the reference to past lives, I am open to and accepting of the idea, as one of the possible post- or pre-life outcomes for humans.

Certain members of my family describe the concept of reincarnation in the following way . . .

The universal consciousness is a "soup" of "soul matter". When a person is about to be born, a spoon full of soul is pour into that person. The soup starter (i.e. soul) forms the base of that specific person's soul. Over time, the person adds to or takes away from this personal bowl of soul soup, until one day the person dies. Whatever is left in the person's soul bowl is returned to the universal consciousness and, thus, made available for redistribution into another person.

I'm not saying, at this point, that I agree or disagree. Just offering up some food for thought.

Jevne

#32 Tanya

Tanya

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:11 AM

That is a distinct possibility. While I am not convinced of the inevitability (sp?) of reincarnation, as implied by the reference to past lives, I am open to and accepting of the idea, as one of the possible post- or pre-life outcomes for humans.

Certain members of my family describe the concept of reincarnation in the following way . . .

The universal consciousness is a "soup" of "soul matter". When a person is about to be born, a spoon full of soul is pour into that person. The soup starter (i.e. soul) forms the base of that specific person's soul. Over time, the person adds to or takes away from this personal bowl of soul soup, until one day the person dies. Whatever is left in the person's soul bowl is returned to the universal consciousness and, thus, made available for redistribution into another person.

I'm not saying, at this point, that I agree or disagree. Just offering up some food for thought.

Jevne

soup for though anyway.

#33 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Interesting how the analogy of soup/ soul, Jevne. I was reminded of my children as they were growing up. When they were at the ages of 6-7 months, I would not think of giving them food not applicable to their digestive systems. But being crawling babies, I constantly had to take things out of their mouths, ie : carpet lint, the occassional bread tab. Being down at that level, they were keen on finding articles, not seen on my upper level. Even tho, the plane I gave them to crawl upon I thought was devoid of such unpalatable things. We as these seekers do not necessarily know what is good to consume or not, on our path. So as babes as it were, for the lack of a better word, tend to put in our concience souls because it's palatable, not necessarily good for us, but it the lack of awareness that we have. Perhaps that may be why one would find wiccan principles and dogma so appetizing ? I realise that this is a bit far removed from the reincarnation subject matter, of which I acknowledge my detour, but it was a revelation to me none the less, and I thank you for sparking that for me. You definately added " food for thought "

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#34 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

Interesting how the analogy of soup/ soul, Jevne. I was reminded of my children as they were growing up. When they were at the ages of 6-7 months, I would not think of giving them food not applicable to their digestive systems. But being crawling babies, I constantly had to take things out of their mouths, ie : carpet lint, the occassional bread tab. Being down at that level, they were keen on finding articles, not seen on my upper level. Even tho, the plane I gave them to crawl upon I thought was devoid of such unpalatable things. We as these seekers do not necessarily know what is good to consume or not, on our path. So as babes as it were, for the lack of a better word, tend to put in our concience souls because it's palatable, not necessarily good for us, but it the lack of awareness that we have. Perhaps that may be why one would find wiccan principles and dogma so appetizing ? I realise that this is a bit far removed from the reincarnation subject matter, of which I acknowledge my detour, but it was a revelation to me none the less, and I thank you for sparking that for me. You definately added " food for thought "

Regards,
Gypsy

Happy that we were able to connect in this way. "Lack of awareness" . . . I wonder how many of the worlds' troubles can be attributed to that?

Jevne

#35 Foxgloveandtrillium

Foxgloveandtrillium

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

This is a really nice article. The explanation of the levels of existence is really interesting, given that it closely aligns with my conclusions about the cosmos, though I had never really heard anyone talking about this. Sometimes going with gut instinct works out. The discussions going on here are helpful as well.

#36 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

I've recently started to re-evaluate my attitude to deity. After spending 7 years as apart of a very fundamentalist baptist church, I grew to hate the word 'god'. I still cannot accept an all powerful, omnipresent being that controls my destiny and gets to choose if i've been naughty or nice when I die. It just rankles. However, what I can live with is the conecpt of deities that are elements from another realm or plane of existence, which we might consider 'above' us. I can acknowledge working with such beings in partnership to get the task done, just as long as they don't try to take over. Still not sure if I actually believe in their existance, but I would be much more willing to accept this form of deity if they did.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#37 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

I still struggle with the concept of deity, maybe I always will. Like Abraxia, I have a certain amount of revulsion for the term "God" and have a hard time separating it from xtian dogma. I am much more comfortable with the concept of "spirits" and "ancestors" and, at least for now, will continue to roll with that. However, that's one of the things about the ever-changing nature of this path-it's impossible to know what will happen next week, next month or next year that might make me change my entire outlook. :teehee:

#38 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

I've recently started to re-evaluate my attitude to deity. After spending 7 years as apart of a very fundamentalist baptist church, I grew to hate the word 'god'. I still cannot accept an all powerful, omnipresent being that controls my destiny and gets to choose if i've been naughty or nice when I die. It just rankles. However, what I can live with is the conecpt of deities that are elements from another realm or plane of existence, which we might consider 'above' us. I can acknowledge working with such beings in partnership to get the task done, just as long as they don't try to take over. Still not sure if I actually believe in their existance, but I would be much more willing to accept this form of deity if they did.

I was having a conversation with a friend this morning about this.. and how for many the concept of "god" has been tainted, molded or skewed by the influence of christianity and the fundamentalist experiences of the "one and only" version of a diety. I can remember as a preteen thinking of the absurdity that "god" was an omniscient old man with a pen*s in the sky, keeping a check and balance sheet of our actions and weighing them to determine our worthiness to play on his playground. As a late teen and for many years, the whole experience left a bitter taste in my mouth for deities and anything resembling god worship. But, as they say, time mellows and somewhere along the way I have reached an understanding and acceptance of the purpose of deities and deity worship (purpose to my understanding).
My beliefs are somewhat like yours AT. I believe in a collective energy that embodies all things.. this energy is beyond a singular form (esp. gender). There is the idea of transcendent divine ability. A study of any ancient society reveals them to be centered upon a unique pantheon of gods/ goddesses. Civilization itself is concentrated on the worship and maintenance of its deities. To understand the story of any civilization begins in an understanding of their gods. The relationship of gods to a civilization is that of reciprocity. The civilization receives interconnectedness and the deity the concentration of energy and growth in divinity or power. A relationship that waxes and wanes with the conditions of the time. One can even see how the worship of a singular god would be preferred in order to provide a unity, growth of economy , amplifying the congruence and essential power of the civilization. A bit of a ramble and off topic..
It is my belief that gods are energies, beings or spirits that have achieved a transcendence over the linear of this realm and can be used as a conduit for us to focus and connect to the greater collective. Are they necessary for ones path , not in my opinion.. are they useful, yes , to many..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#39 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

I still struggle with the concept of deity, maybe I always will. Like Abraxia, I have a certain amount of revulsion for the term "God" and have a hard time separating it from xtian dogma. I am much more comfortable with the concept of "spirits" and "ancestors" and, at least for now, will continue to roll with that. However, that's one of the things about the ever-changing nature of this path-it's impossible to know what will happen next week, next month or next year that might make me change my entire outlook. :teehee:

Try replacing the word "god" with the phrase "very evolved and knowledgable entity" and see if that helps any. God is a human word humans came up with to describe something they couldn't comprehend. You can call it a Fred or a Susan or a gender-ambiguous Shane to dis-associate yourself form the cultural perception of the Judeo-Christian "God."

M

#40 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

OMG! I know "a gender-ambiguous Shane" . . . no joke. Someone had to sneak a peak in the personnel file to determine that Shane is actually a girl. That is just too strange. I don't think anyone is worshipping her, though.

J