35 replies to this topic

#21 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

The shell itself, to me, represents protection and containment.

Do you make the same associations, when the egg is cracked or broken?  I ask, because someone I know went through six eggs in a spell that she was doing because the eggs had a blemish that she said ruined the whole thing. :)

#22 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

Do you make the same associations, when the egg is cracked or broken?  I ask, because someone I know went through six eggs in a spell that she was doing because the eggs had a blemish that she said ruined the whole thing. :)

Ok this cracks me up heehee. Seriously though if its a naturally occurring blemish then its normal or perfect IMO. If I cracked it then it depends but I figure when I'm messing with it by drilling a hole or whatever I'm messing up natures perfection anyway so I would just work it in I that wasn't an issue.

#23 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Do you make the same associations, when the egg is cracked or broken?  I ask, because someone I know went through six eggs in a spell that she was doing because the eggs had a blemish that she said ruined the whole thing. :smile:

To me, it still retains the essence of what it was designed to achieve, blemishes or none, cracked or not, although I would prefer a non-cracked one (at least to start out with).

#24 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

So in my earlier post when I said I "recently" found a bird nest in my dryer, I should add this was almost a month ago....So they have been in that jar awhile now and are quite terrible to behold, which is just fine with me. I think I can finally find a use for them in their putrid state. However I do want to add that I am quite certain they are not Swallow eggs as I thought earlier. They look nothing like swallow eggs upon research, in fact its pretty impossible to identify which species they are from especially since I don't have the nest either. I would have liked to have known exactly what kind of bird they came from but oh well. There is still plenty of use for them despite not knowing, I have used rotten eggs quite a bit in the past for some great workings. Has anyone else used rotten eggs in their craft?

Edited to add, that my boyfriend has also informed me, that my original proclamation of them being Swallow eggs was a product of wine and no actual knowlege or research. upon further contemplation I believe him to be fairly accurate in that.

Edited by Davenport, 15 August 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#25 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I will be using eggs in a dual capacity (yolks and shells) in an upcoming working, so I am bumping this thread.

#26 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

The bird eggs I found ended up getting used in a rather vengeful working. I had them sealed tightly in a jar with some other ingredients and filled it with the magic necessary to carry out my plans. What I loved was that the spell remained inactive until the jar was opened and the eggs exploded. They had a lot of time to rot before I even started the working but had remained whole and unbroken. When the working was finally released, just the act of opening the jar and letting air into it was enough for the eggs to literally explode! A rather satisfying release to a pungent and terrible working!

#27 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Bloody Hell. Davenport, some shock waves of your spell hit here this morning (see, my post in Tiddbits), LOL.

#28 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Not to be too specific Jevene but what type of working?- I have only used (whole) eggs in curse /hex work (once); the associations here run the gamut; seems that there are many applications.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Not to be too specific Jevene but what type of working?- I have only used (whole) eggs in curse /hex work (once); the associations here run the gamut; seems that there are many applications.

I sent you a PM.  Thank you for asking.

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Within "Witchcraft in Kenmore, 1730-57: Extracts from the Kirk Session Records of the Parish by John Christie (1893) is a story of someone bringing milk into a neighbor's home concealed in an egg shell.  The act was naturally deemed suspicious from what I can tell in the story, thus, drawing the attention of the local parish.  The woman claimed it was a charm, which she hid in her breast, in order to recover milk that had been taken from her.  The language is difficult, given when this was written, but it seems like some type of counter-charm against people, whom she thought might have be-witched her milk supply.  Given that she went to several homes, it seems that she was not exactly sure who the culprit was. 

Someone with an ample bosom could easily conceal such an item, but for some people, an egg between the breasts would make them look like a circus side-show performer.

#31 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Within "Witchcraft in Kenmore, 1730-57: Extracts from the Kirk Session Records of the Parish by John Christie (1893) is a story of someone bringing milk into a neighbor's home concealed in an egg shell.  The act was naturally deemed suspicious from what I can tell in the story, thus, drawing the attention of the local parish.  The woman claimed it was a charm, which she hid in her breast, in order to recover milk that had been taken from her.  The language is difficult, given when this was written, but it seems like some type of counter-charm against people, whom she thought might have be-witched her milk supply.  Given that she went to several homes, it seems that she was not exactly sure who the culprit was. 

Someone with an ample bosom could easily conceal such an item, but for some people, an egg between the breasts would make them look like a circus side-show performer.

This suddenly made me sad that I don't wear bras, I imagine they could be handy to hide all sorts of fun and useful things.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#32 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Bump, for interest

RSKHFMY

#33 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

It is interesting to me that different things - like the eggshells - are used differently by different people, yet are still effective. So what is invoked from the eggshell and used in a working varies according to the user/witch. I love things like that, which show how items of magic can work differently for each person depending on the user's belief/associations related to the object. Or maybe it's just something that's been on my mind the last few days, lol.

M

#34 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

The why I really can't say as it is something that I just started as part of an offering / honoring ceremony that has continued.  I use egg shells in the Hellenic sense of them being equated to the lustral egg or egg of creation and birth.  Usually I place three eggs out as an offering, two will be whole and serve to represent potential / fertility / fecundity that has yet to be born or realized.  The third is always broken in two though I may or may not remove the contents of the egg.  As they deal with life ie fertility and fecundity I also use them when I do ancestral / dead communications as an offering to the dead. In my studies I discovered eggs were frequently used as offerings as the potential brought the dead shade into a semi life like state where it is aware and can be spoken to with a limited capacity for divination as it is returned to the present and aware of living matters.

While I do not personally use them this way one may use them as a means of purification.  You use the eggs as things of extreme purity (Lustral) and rub them upon your body to wipe away the contamination (Miasma) especially in association to Hekate and her Roman influence.  One you have cleaned or wiped yourself with the eggs they are buried or left at the intersection of a 3 legged cross-roads.  Then you turn and walk away and never look back.  Your contamination or Miasma has been cleaned away for whatever purpose you've undertaken and given to the dead.i

#35 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#36 lorenawitchy9

lorenawitchy9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

bump, this is what got me back after year so thanks.
Lorena

Some day, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity; we shall harness the energies of love.
Then, for the second time in history, man will have discovered fire.