• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

Lately I used a lot of eggs in my cookings.
So I was wondering about some uses for egg shells in magic.
Any ideas?:)

"...Dass ich erkenne, was die Welt in ihrem Innersten zusammenhält." Faust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...So that I may perceive whatever holds the world together in its inmost folds" Faust

#2 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

I powder the eggshell and use it to trace sigils for magical workings.
"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#3 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

I wondered about this, I've used whole, raw eggs in magic before, but I've always been curious why powdered shells are used in hoodoo?

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Appalachian Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

the powdered shell is known as cascarilla powder.

here is a snip from www.etsy.com
Cascarilla or "Peace Powder" is white eggshells that have been crushed and ground to a powder. It is most common to Santeria, Haitian Vodou, and South American folk magic, but is used in other magical paths as well. This powder is dusted on the body to protect from spirit possession or hag riding, and also acts as a shield to protect from psychic or magical attack. It can be sprinkled around your home or work to create a peaceful and protected environment. In witchcraft it is used for drawing sigils, runes, and other ritual symbols for rites of magic and invocation, much as cornmeal is used to draw the veves of the lwa in Vodou.

here is a thread from luckymojo.com

http://forum.luckymo...a-t4869s60.html

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#5 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:14 AM

Anytime I go to use something, like eggshells or figure out what they could be used for, I think about there purpose in life outside of possible magical abilities. Eggs shells are meant to be a home for growing and to protect the life living inside it so it can grow. It also even is not fertilized shows the potential of growth and life. You can also go beyond that in what colour the egg shell is. But yeah, what I do for everything when trying to find a purpose for it ^_^

Edited by o_O, 24 June 2010 - 03:16 AM.

#6 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:11 AM

Thanks!:)
Is the color of the egg shell very important?
Or can I use whatever I have?

o_O, thats a very good starting point for everything!:)
I couldn't help but think only of fertility when I thought about eggs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...So that I may perceive whatever holds the world together in its inmost folds" Faust

#7 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

I personally don't think that colour is important, but if you were doing something more complex or for a more specific focus, like saying protecting you significant other, I would try to find dove egg shells, something like that. I really think any would work as long as you focus your intent of what you're doing into them while powdering them or whatever else you might decide to do with them.

#8 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

This all makes sense to me, thanks :)
Oddly, have a perfectly halved walnut shell which I feel needs using in some sort of container spell. I don't know any specific magical uses for walnut, but it feels like the shell could work for containing/preserving/even binding. Just going on 'gut' here!

#9 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Appalachian Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

egg shells are also good to put in your garden. It discourages snails because the sharp edges of the egg shells hurt the snails underbelly. And thus you have safe plants!
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#10 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

Eggshells (and walnuts) can be used similar for holding and containing, albeit in different ways. Hollowed eggs can be neatly sliced in two and placing within things necessary for a spell (such as fertility or things you wish to "grow") and then resealed - just don' break the egg as the spell will diminish (unless of course it's a baneful spell in which you can throw it at a persons place of residence, etc.) Walnuts I ascribe to the Old One and have used to hold worts, bone shavings, etc to be used within rites of hedge-crossing and spirit flight as I see the Walnut tree as a "door and gateway". Resealed with wax and placed within a pouch it becomes a wearable talisman aligned to my use.

Edited by Grimr, 24 June 2010 - 11:41 PM.
Awful spelling

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#11 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:34 AM

In earlier times I think walnuts stood also for abundance, if I remember right.

#12 aphrodite

aphrodite

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Egg shells can be pieced together and glued in a working to resore wholeness, relationships or fertility. The powder is often used in any spell to bless new ventures that call for prosperity , another type of fertility. The ground up shell can be used in workings for getting ideas for things, when creativity is needed, particularly brainstorming, and its used for cleansing someone who's been through trauma. To help make them new again.

#13 Korellyn

Korellyn

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

Based entirely on my own intuition and no idea if anybody else does this, but I associate the calcium content of eggshell with bones. I use the powdered shell in ancestor work.

#14 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Bumping this for new Members and further discussion. :)

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#15 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I recently found what I believe to be a House Swallow nest in the vent for my dryer. I had noticed Davenport (Cat) lurking around behind the dryer a bunch and he looked really deranged about it, and then the dryer stopped working. Come to find a big nest was in the hole that vents to outside. My ex had taken the cover off the outside of the house for some demented reason and this was the consequence. I had to destroy the nest to get it out but it was full of (what I can only imagine as being steam cooked) eggs. So now I have these eggs and I cannot quite seem to come up with a good use for them. any ideas guys?

Edited by Davenport, 12 August 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#16 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

I recently found what I believe to be a House Swallow nest in the vent for my dryer. I had noticed Davenport (Cat) lurking around behind the dryer a bunch and he looked really deranged about it, and then the dryer stopped working. Come to find a big nest was in the hole that vents to outside. My ex had taken the cover off the outside of the house for some demented reason and this was the consequence. I had to destroy the nest to get it out but it was full of (what I can only imagine as being steam cooked) eggs. So now I have these eggs and I cannot quite seem to come up with a good use for them. any ideas guys?

There is much lore with Swallows in the Craft.  Do a little research and post your particular findings, it may make for a great Stand Alone Post  with you as Author. ;)

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#17 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

I think I might be inspired to do just that my dear.

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

I prefer to leave egg shells, especially those from nature, intact, as best I can.  Unfortunately, when I find them, basically whole, it likely means that some other animal or bird got to them and ate the contents before it came to maturity.  They are such perfect little vessels, all colors and sizes.  Find a lot of robin eggs.  I keep them in a little box, until I need them.

#19 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

In my path the egg represents fertility and birth so I often use egg shells in workings for healthy pregnancys or to help someone wanting to conceive. I also use egg shells a fertilizer for certain plants and in keeping with that I use them in workings I use for a good harvest from my trees and things.

#20 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

The shell itself, to me, represents protection and containment.