Photo
- - - - -

Weather Lore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

While doing research on folklore I came across the so called "Bauernregeln"(country saying).
I thought I share;).

For a farmer, the weather is very important because he is dependent of it.
Only if the weather is right, the harvest will be good.
Therefore the farmers had to orientate themselves on the weather.
This is how the country sayings arose.

"Light evening meal and morning sun are a good weather-companion."

"Everyday rain is inopportune, but rain once in a while makes me smile."

"After the best summer days there will follow the greatest thunderstorms."

"Halo round the moon means rain, halo round the sun means storm."

"During red moon and bright star, thunderstorms are not far."

"The north wind is a rough cousin, but he brings constant weather."

"The most beautiful day begins with a silent dawn."

"Thunderstorm without rain brings no gain."

"If clouds move towards the wind it will rain the next day for sure."

"Wind in the night brings rain the next day."

" Much wind without rain is never convenient."

"If the weathercock turns three times it announces storm and rain."

"The whiter the clouds are in heaven, the brighter is th weather."

"If we want to enjoy summer, we must have also thunder."

"Thunderstorms during fall bring snow, but the next year will be just fine."

"A good dew is as worth as a bad rain."

"...Dass ich erkenne, was die Welt in ihrem Innersten zusammenhält." Faust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...So that I may perceive whatever holds the world together in its inmost folds" Faust

#2 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

An excellent collection of sayings. Thanks for sharing.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#3 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Your welcome:)!
By the way, I'm sorry for the terrible English - I had to translate this from Old-German.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...So that I may perceive whatever holds the world together in its inmost folds" Faust

#4 autumngirl

autumngirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

This is interesting...I've heard many of these thoughts, though worded differently...we have some really similar weather lore here in the U.S.

Your English is very good, so don't worry about that!

#5 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

Oh this is indeed very interesting.
Would you mind sharing 2 or 3 of these?:)

Thank you:)

#6 autumngirl

autumngirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Oh this is indeed very interesting.
Would you mind sharing 2 or 3 of these?:)

Thank you:)

Sure, let's see...

Red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

Weathercock turning three times: there's no "official" saying for that but I've heard this many times (the weathercock/weathervane turning three times).

If the leaves turn over, it means rain is coming.

If March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb. If it comes in like a lamb, it goes out like a lion.

When beavers build especially strong dams, it means a hard winter is coming.

If the groundhog sees his shadow (on Feb. 2, "Groundhog Day"), there will be six more weeks of winter. If he doesn't, it means an early spring.

A ring around the moon means there will be rain.

#7 Mysteria

Mysteria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

I haven't heard most of these before. Has anyone watched for these signs to see if there is logic in the sayings?

#8 autumngirl

autumngirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

I haven't heard most of these before. Has anyone watched for these signs to see if there is logic in the sayings?

I haven't made an actual study of it but I can see where some of the sayings came from. The one about leaves turning over and the one about weather vanes both really mean the wind is picking up, and that doesn't unequivocally mean rain will happen but it makes rain a bit more of a possibility, so that one makes sense to me.

The one about beavers building dams is based on the belief that animals can pick up on weather changes we can't. So if they're building very big, thick dams it would be because they're "expecting" bad weather.

That sort of thing.

p.s. You've really never heard any of these??

#9 Mysteria

Mysteria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

p.s. You've really never heard any of these??

Nope, I haven't heard most of these b4. I have heard the Groundhog & March Lion/Lamb ones but most are new to me. I find them very interesting and while I understand the thinking behind them, I am wondering how accurate they might be. I might just find myself watching for these signs and taking notes on my finds.
I would love to know which I could put to use as I know the wheather channel isn't a resorce I can depend on lol
I'd love to hear/read more of them and put them to test :D

#10 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:55 AM

I will see if I can find more of them;).

#11 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

A few Animal related ones for you.

Cats – When Cats sneeze it is a sign of Rain.
Cats are observed to scratch the wall or a post before Wind. They will sit with their backs to the Fire before Snow.
Dogs – When Dogs eat Grass it will be Rainy.
If Dogs roll on the ground and Scratch or become drowsy and stupid, it is a sign of rain.
Horses – If Horses stretch out their necks and sniff the air, rain will ensue.
Goats and Sheep – If Goats and Sheep quit their pastures with reluctance then it will rain the next day.
Sheep – When Sheep turn their backs to the wind it is a sign of Rain.
Pigs – When Pigs carry straw to their sties bad weather is expected.
Mice – If Mice run about more than usual then wet weather may be expected.
Seabirds – When seabirds fly out early and far to seaward, moderate winds and fair weather may be expected. When they hang about the land or over it sometime flying inland then expect a strong wind or stormy weather.
Cock – If the Cock moult before the Hen, we shall have weather thick and thin but if the Hen moult before the Cock we shall have weather hard as a block.

Rooks – When Rooks seem to drop in their flight as if pierced by a shot it is considered to foretell rain.

Ravens – If Ravens croak three or four times and flap their wings, fine weather is expected.

Frogs – When Frogs croak much it is a sign of rain. When they spawn in the middle of the water it is a sign of drought and when at the side foretells a wet summer.

Bees – If Bees stay at home Rain will soon come. If they fly away Fine will be the day.

Spider – If a Garden Spider should forsake its cobweb then Rain is at hand.

#12 Mysteria

Mysteria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I have heard when Cows turn their back to the wind that a storm is coming and seen it. They were all gathered under a tree laying down with their backs to the wind. Later that day a huge storm rolled through the area. Now I couldn't help but wonder; Why would they lay under a tree that might get struck by lighting or drop a branch on them? Might take me a long time but I am so going to enjoy putting these to the test :D and it will give me even more of a reason to go on more walks.

#13 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Red sky at night always, always comes true around here. It's more reliable than the Met Office.

#14 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

The animal related ones are very interesting!Thank you!:)

#15 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

I have heard t hem all from one sourse or another, but my Dad was the one that told me about the leaves tiring inside out when I was a young girl, and it always came to pass!
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#16 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

Isn't it amazing how humans have lost their instincts, I can smell the rain comeing, but most humans are so self involved they notice nothing until they see the big black cloud or hear the thunder!!
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#17 Mysteria

Mysteria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

I believe I have got an understanding for one of these, that are new to me. Thanks to the weather making the gears in my brain break the cob webs. Anyhow if yall don't mind, please give me you honest answer to this question: When you here someone say it was "the best summer day", what do you picture in your mind weather wise? After I get some answers I will fill in the rest and my conclusion.

My answer: I picture a Hot day at the nearest swiming area (be it beach, pool or river) with many friends there to enjoy the day with.

Please answer as it will help me figure out if I have stumbled upon an understanding that I did not have before.
Thanks

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

I do not know if I am currently following the same line of thinking as you, Mysteria; however, your question made me think about the impact of subjectivity on the Craft. For example, hot day does not work for me. I do not like hot. Come to think of it, I do not like cold either. I'm more about the somewhere in between. The point is that whether or not the weather is beneficial or appropriate, depends on your point of view. I am reminded of a time, several summers ago, when the weather was hot and dry. The crops were dying, and people were having to obtain and use a lot of extra water, which costs money. As I watched my grass brown and blow away in the heat, I cast a spell to bring the water (note the word, water). And it rained and rained and rained, and I'm thinking "Go, Me! I am an awesome Witch."

Anyway, at the same time, one of the pipes in my basement burst, bringing with it lots and lots of water. As I was fixing it, I realized that 1) my spell was not as specific as it should have been, and 2) the rain would have come eventually anyway, because nature maintains the balance, just not always in the timeframe that we want or expect. I have no ethical problem with casting a spell to bring the rain or make the sun shine for a certain special day, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that just because I want it to be so, it will or should be. No matter how powerful I am, there are always people, entities or laws of nature that are more powerful. Every single time that I have tried to ignore this simple fact, I have paid a price. I don't believe we should stop trying to influence the weather in the short-term or for our simple pleasures and economic gains, but there are bigger forces at work.

Jevne

#19 autumngirl

autumngirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:31 AM

Isn't it amazing how humans have lost their instincts, I can smell the rain comeing, but most humans are so self involved they notice nothing until they see the big black cloud or hear the thunder!!

Isn't that the most wonderful smell?? Ahhhhhhhhhh.

#20 Lilienrose

Lilienrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

Yes, I love that smell!
I think it's kind of sad how many people have lost their instincts and stopped following their intuition.
Mysteria, when i picture in my mind the best summer day I think of a hot day at the beach in Italy with my family and my boyfriend...and coconuts:)!I love the coconuts they offer there!

However, here are some more that I found:

"Better a huge rain instead of a steady dropping."
"If fume rises from frozen rivers it will be cold for a very long time."
"Good weather that comes in night, has never made it far in summer."
"May the fume rise from the chimney, then rain falls from the cloud."
"Without thunderstorms there will be no changes of the seasons."