• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

I have been very busy of late working with new site and forum software. I have been getting increasingly frustrated and annoyed with both the direction our current forum software developers are going and in their attempted bug fixes.

I have given it six months of working with the existing software to give it a chance to bed in and for bug fixes to be rolled out .. a bug fix version was released last week which I installed on a mirror copy of TW, it broke more than it fixed so I didn't bother putting it on here.

The new software I have been testing is, to my mind, much more robust and the developers are very quick with bug fixes and in adding features (ones that work as opposed to half implemented ones from vB!)

I have tested migrating everything from this software to the new software, it worls well with only one area which is problematic (Albums are all over the place with vB and so do not migrate well)

To ensure that TW has a stable platform to work on I have decided to migrate the site over to the new software. I haven't finally decided on a timeframe but it will be sooner rather than later and probably done on a Saturday morning.

I will announce here when it will be done, it will probably be on a Satrurday. The site and forum will be closed while the migration is done, probably for at least four hours.

The new forum can be seen here, it's mostly done on the styling but will be tweaked over time

http://www.tradition...orums/index.php

Registrations are disabled and you won't be able to log in as yet but you can get an idea of what it looks like. The main site can be seen from the Pages tab on the new site, that will be the equivalent of the home page here once I have migrated things over.

Migration involves exporting members, forums, posts, attachments, private messages, blogs over to the new software. As I said I've tested the migration process a number of times and it works. Your existing usernames and passwords will work on the new forum once the migration is done.

It's sad that vB 4 hasn't lived up to the performance of previous versions, but I guess nothing stays the same. It's time to move on to something better.

If any of you use Invision Power Board you will recognise the new forum software.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Sounds terribly complicated to figure out, but I am not technical. Appreciate all the hard work you do to keep us running smoothly...

xoxox M

#3 Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch

Mistress of havok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

Sorry this is not working out the way you had hoped. Your not the first to complain and look for alternatives to VB. A few of my friends have been going through the same frustrations and I can't say I blame you for jumping ship. I hope the new software will work better and be a better fit for the site and forum. I know that this can be very frustrating.
Age does not bring with it wisdom. Wisdom comes with experience.

#4 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for all your hard work on our behalf, D.

x

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:48 AM

P.S. - I love your avatar. It looks like it was not taken by a human, but by your computer screen as you sat pondering over some programming and just hit upon an answer to an elusive problem; is how I always picture you, lol....

M

#6 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Good luck with the switch, let me know if you need any helap!
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#7 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thanks All .. the migration shouldn't really be a problem, it doesn't delete anything so if it does go tits up I can reopen this forum, see what the issue is and try again.

I did a test migration on the live server weeks ago with a previous version Invision Board and it took about 2 hours to have a complete forum up and running. I've also done lots of test migrations on my local PC without a problem. The only issue is with vB albums which imported with lots of errors - a lot of the pictures were red x's due to vB storing them in at least two places on the server (due to the ABlbum feature changing over the 4 or 5 years we've had it).

I'll take a complete copy of everything we have and install it on vB on my PC and look at bulk importing album pictures to IP Gallery member by member. Push comes to shove we start with an empty Gallery, not a huge issue really.

If everything goes to plan, and I don't end up knackered after this week at work, I plan to do the migration this Saturday coming.

Droghon (or Brian)

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#8 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

It's never said enough. We really, really, really appreciate all your work, Droghon!!!!!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#9 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

Ditto to everyone's thoughts - Sorry that this version isn't working but wonderful that you may have a solution! Best of luck with the migration and thank you a million times over for all your hard work in creating this community space that we all love so much!!!
I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#10 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hit one snag on migration, my own error, I didn't delete one of the test members and the migration had top be done twice.

The problem is that no attachments were migrated the second time I carried out the migration.

So I plan to delete the invision site and start from scratch with it.

This means the migration will be done next weekend!

Sorry for the board being offline most of today, good news is that the actual migration takes around 2 to 3 hours, and starting it from scratch means the attachments etc will migrate properly.

Droghon (or Brian)

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

You are a better man than I!!!! (And much more patient!)

M